Wednesday, July 22, 2026

My Apocalyptic Michigan Summer: Smoke, Parasites, and Other Delights

 


This summer, Michigan feels less like a state and more like a testing ground for whatever fresh disaster the universe wants to beta‑test. Jean was hunting for a topic to write about this week then Michigan, never one to miss an opportunity for dramatic flair, said, “Hold my beer,” and delivered smoke, parasites, bedbugs, and even a grocery store suspending carry-out service like it was a preview for the end of time. And because she lives right in the middle of it, she gets a front‑row seat to the chaos, complete with hazy skies, health alerts, and the occasional reminder that our global connections are far more tangled — and far more fragile — than we like to admit…. AI

Michigan is one of twenty states affected by the unhealthy air quality caused by smoke drifting down from the historic number of wildfires in Northern Ontario. The sky has been a dull haze — the kind you mistake for fog until you step outside and get a lungful of it. It was so thick today that the one grocery store in town that still has “bag boys” that take your purchases out to your car wasn’t offering the service. OSHA doesn’t forbid outdoor work during wildfire smoke, but they do say employers should offer NIOSH‑approved masks for voluntary use, give workers frequent indoor breaks, and reschedule strenuous tasks.

Welcome to Trump’s there’s‑no‑global‑warming world. As of this writing, he has blocked federal U.S. waterbombers from assisting across the border, even though Canada sent their firefighting air teams to California last fall. He’s also threatening Canada with a tariff on “cross‑border pollution,” claiming they’re “willfully negligent” about "keeping their forest floors raked." Canada has 912 million acres of forest — 40% of their land mass — and only 41.1 million people. Even if “raking the forest floor” were the answer, where exactly would they find the workforce? And where will we get the lumber to build houses if we keep slapping tariffs on a country that used to be one of our closest allies?

Rant off — in case you didn’t know it was on.

I didn’t see many people wearing masks while I was out, but I did talk to one man who said he wished he’d grabbed one before leaving home. I have a stash of masks in my car left over from the pandemic, but it never occurred to me to put one on until after that conversation. Even then, I didn’t do it. Why? Because those masks have been hanging behind my driver’s seat for several years. Who knows what microscopic yuck they’ve been harboring. When I got home, I tossed them straight into the washing machine. No telling how long it will take for the smoke to clear out. I just might need them. 

Since I’m already in a doom‑and‑gloom mood: Michigan is also dealing with a health alert involving the microscopic cyclosporia parasite, which has caused over 5,000 confirmed cases of severe, “explosive diarrhea” and more than 100 hospitalizations in Michigan alone. (Last year, RFK Jr. ended the CDC's required surveillance of the parasite, which in the past kept these kinds of widespread outbreaks from happening.) If untreated, the diarrhea can last from two weeks to a month. Contact tracing is difficult because symptoms don’t show up right away — they appear five days to two weeks after exposure. Salad greens are the suspected culprit. Thankfully, I’ve been on a high‑protein diet and haven’t had a salad in almost two months. (Side note: I was at the doctor’s today and the official word is I’m down 20.8 pounds since May 15th.)

And as if smoke and parasites aren’t enough, Michigan was recently named as having three of the worst hot spots in the nation for bedbug infestations. I need to stop reading public‑service notifications. Today I learned I live in the tenth worst city in the nation for bedbugs. I am not sitting on any fabric‑covered chairs in public places until further notice! And needless to say, I’m not sleeping in any stranger’s beds either — not that I’ve been asked in the last fifty years. But if Brad Pitt came along, I’d jump in his bed even if it meant he’d have to call security. Between the smoke, the parasites, and the bedbugs, I swear, at this point I’m one emergency alert away from answering the door wearing a hazmat suit and oven mitts.

Back on topic: Years ago my mother‑in‑law’s house had bedbugs, and how they got in was shocking. She had a live‑in caregiver who, unbeknownst to the family, had a hobby of writing to prisoners. On her days off, she went to state prisons to meet some of the men she’d been corresponding with where she was gifted with the critters.

Bedbugs are known to spread from one care facility to another via workers who hold multiple jobs in multiple facilities. If our Assisted Living or Memory Care buildings ever get bedbugs, they’d quickly spread to my Independent Living building because many spouses live in IL while their partners are in one of the other buildings. It’s one of the selling points of continuum‑care campuses — a short walk gets you a daily visit (conjugal or otherwise) without driving halfway across town.  

Oh, yes, Michigan doesn’t need a state motto — it needs a warning label. 

The ecosystems around the world are becoming more and more interconnected, and disasters in one region ripple outward — whether it’s a war that disrupts shipping lines, a pandemic that refuses to stay on one continent, or produce that isn’t handled properly and ends up being distributed far and wide. We’ve come a long way in the last hundred years; towns no longer dump factory waste and raw sewage into rivers. But I still wonder how people back then couldn’t see that that was a bad idea. Just as I wonder how someone can sit in the Oval Office and be so short‑sighted and vindictive against our neighbors to the north. Call it Karma or cause and effect, everything that goes around, comes around. ©

See you all next Wednesday. In the meantime, let's all keep Canada in our hearts and thoughts. It's not only the forests they are losing to the fires, but also lives, homes and wildlife. 

32 comments:

  1. Good luck! It’s appalling what the administration is doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The smoke has cleared the area now, enough to walk outside again. But it could come back if the winds change. Canada did get some rain since I wrote this but they need more.

      Delete
  2. Michigan does appear to be under siege in ways the rest of us aren’t. California however is having Medicaid funds withheld to punish not sharing some information. In what twisted mindset does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California still holds the record for vindictive actions the president takes against you guys out there. I'll never forgive the people that keep 45/47 in power.

      Delete
  3. No matter the situation, our goofy president can make it worse.
    Stay safe, Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed AI humor - hold my beer! Not quite a match for yours, Jean, IMHO. Early morning fog lifts to the smoke haze that envelops NE Alberta. I wore a mask when I did physical work outside. It could be worse. Alberta has been spared the wildfires this year with record rainfall in some areas of the province that has wreaked its own havoc on agriculture & infrastructure. So far no warnings about vectors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fire is so scary. I hope you continue to be safe, but the smoke is no picnic for you guys closer to the source. Stay safe.

      I'm always amazed with how I can put one of my posts into Copilot and ask for a search engine friendly introduction and it can sum up what I wrote about quicker than I can blink. I could never do that. Sometimes it will give me several to choose from---one serious, one humorous and one philosophical. I laughed out loud at the 'hold my beer'. Not that I hadn't heard that joke before but to have a state say it, cracked me up.

      Delete
  5. I'm in Saskatchewan and where I live right now there's only a light haze of smoke but I wore a paper mask to walk my three miles this morning just to be on the safe side. Those invisible toxic particles that get into your lungs ... nope, not havin' it. We expect temperatures in the high 80s for the next few days, and the smoke means not being able to open windows at night for cooling. I will probably be uncomfortable and cranky and move to the basement. But at least we have a basement and are still in our home. Between wildfires and flooding, a lot of people in this country are not.
    Counting my blessings, Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard about the flooding up in Canada. I'm so sorry our president makes it sound like no one south of your border cares about what is going on up there, which is categorically not true at all.

      I have heard about the toxic particles in the smoke as well, from buildings, homes and vehicles burning along with the trees. Last night was the first time in a week when I could open my windows back up. Hope you'll be able to do that again sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  6. Here in Florida we're knocking on wood that we won't have any hurricanes this year, and we're glad Tropical Storm Bertha is staying offshore. But there are still disasters, wildfires, droughts, floods elsewhere in the world. And let's not even get into the wars. It's overwhelming, and there's not much I, in my wheelchair, can do about any of it. I'm so sorry this is the world we're leaving to our kids, and I truly wish I could somehow make things better for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vote, vote, vote is the most important thing we can do right now. And donate to vetted organizations winning in the courts, if we are able. What we can't do is give up or stick our heads in the sand and ignore what is going on while there is still hope that we can turn things around.

      Delete
  7. That air was SO bad. I finally bought an air purifier. Of course, it won't be here until this weekend, but I'm convinced we'll need it going forward. But waking up this morning to cool, clean air and a breeze was such a joy. We have windows open for the first time in ages, since the humidity dropped off, too.

    I took my life in my hands and ate a salad for lunch. LOL. (Not a bag salad, and not Taylor Farms.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People here have been eating salads and no one has gotten sick. The kitchen staff swear they thoroughly wash all their produce. I don't trust another break out from another source because without the mandatory testing and reporting at the growers' level some of them will take a gamble again.

      The wild fires are going to keep happening in the years to come, so the air purifier was a good investment.

      Delete
  8. CONGRATS on ridding yourself of 21 pounds!!! Awesome. Here in Portland Oregon area, we are bitching and moaning about two days in a row of heat AND humidity ... and my Kidults work outside. Air quality has gone down, but barely in the moderate range.

    So happy I joined CSA and have all the fresh lettuce we want. Just in time to skip the parasite filled lettuces ... And, of course Taylor Farms was found to be a False Positive after calling his buddy, the childish evil orange lunatic. What a world filled with lies and vengence,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First they buy themselves a pass with testing for and reporting the paradise, then when the source of an outbreak is found out they buy themselves another pass and get it labeled as a false positive. How many lives does this administration have to put in danger before they grow a conscience?

      Delete
  9. We are all interconnected. I knew all those cuts were going to bite us in the ass, and here we are. And some people still don't seem to get that these things wouldn't be problems if we had a working government. (Not to mention Canada wouldn't be pissed at us for idiocy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that here too where people don't understand that connection between doing away with food safety laws and this outbreak of paradises in our produce. Is it a lack of critical thinking or brain washing of low information folks ? You can talk until you're blue in the face about climate change and how a couple of degrees warmer effects the echo-systems in forest and they stare at you like science is full of fairy tales.

      Delete
  10. I do Hope that Canada gets some relief and it's callous and Evil that this Devil of a Prez isn't sending aide rather than imposing Tariffs, he's an Idiot tho' and Cruelty is always the Point with him and his People. Natural disasters are abounding, the North part of our State is on Fire, as are Cali and Colorado, so we've been getting that smoke drifting down some days too, but probably not as bad as you're having it there. I kept our COVID best Masks. I'm avoiding Salads and Soft Fruits due to that explosive D situation, we've had some cases here but not many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last I heard 45/47 it slapping a 50% tariff on all Canadian goods in the last couple of days, so Canada canceled the join ceremony and celebration of the new Gordy Howe six lane bridge. It will still open, though without giving Trump a platform to bash Canada or lie about him wanting to restructure the deal at the last moment about Canada recouping their costs to build the bridge before the two countries revenue share the net fees collected for using the bridge. Typical Trump, tearing up deals made by previous administrations, thinking he can do better. That mindset is working out so well in Iran. NOT!

      Delete
  11. And CONGRATULATIONS on such Amazing Weight Loss already!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can feel it and two people have noticed, but I'm bummed out this morning because my scaled didn't move today for the first time since I started.

      Delete
    2. You will hit brief Plateaus my Friend, stay Strong and Encouraged. The Needle will move again in the right direction.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the reinforcement. I've read about the plateaus but it's still disappointing.

      Delete
  12. Michigan DOES need a warning label! It may have been a typo or a good joke but I like that we are having an outbreak of cyclopedia! I just bought a quarter peck, plus a quart of Michigan sweet cherries at the market. I figure either way, the diahrrea is coming -- at least this way it will taste good going down, even if not so much coming out! The smoke seems over -- for now. I hate our government and what they are doing to Canada and other nations. We must be the stupidest country on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How embarrassing! It wasn't a typo or joke. It was an auto correction and when I went to correct it just now it tried to change the correct word again. Thanks! Good luck with the cherries. The have such smooth, easy to clean skin I think you'll be safe.

      I can't imagine Canada will be so quick to letting us go back to the way we were, when we get another president who isn't so vengeful and uneducated and who could blame them. Trusting us again will have to earned.

      Delete
  13. PS! 20+ down! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the weight loss Jean! You lost it, I found it. I've been struggling for months now and the scale does not move! I even quit drinking wine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quitting your wine is a serious commitment. Every little step in the right dirction helps.

      Delete
  15. CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss!!! That is fabulous!! Good for you!!
    I still have a stash of N95 masks and I got some funny looks when I went to work in our church office and again when I walked into our recreation center. I only wore them outside - the smokey hair was choking me. I am glad I held on to them for his second term. What else will he brew in the next two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smoke from wildfires is going to an on-going summer problem in the years to come. So you are wise to keep the masks.

      I'm hoping the middle terms will turn the house and senate so 45/47 can be held in check until he's out of office.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.