Wednesday, July 15, 2026

The Distant Star Theory of Blogging

The legendary 1930’s essay ‘In Awe of Words’ often circles back to the quiet reasons we write — the rhythms that steady us, the connections that surprise us, and the memories that tug us forward. In this reflection, Jean revisits an old pandemic-era post, a favorite Steinbeck quote, and the complicated dance between observing life and participating in it. What emerges is a meditation on friendship, aging, and the strange, sustaining companionship of blogging… AI

Every so often an old post shows up in my “Most Read in the Last Seven Days” column, and I'll know people have been poking around in my archives, maybe even shared one of my links. If the title doesn’t ring that proverbial bell, I’ll click on it myself. That’s what happened with a piece I wrote during the pandemic six years ago. When I opened This Too Shall Pass… I found one of my all-time favorite quotes by John Steinbeck — a quote worth repeating in this forum of bloggers who enjoy the art of writing for whatever reason: personal pleasure, documenting our lives, or monetizing our blogs in hopes of fame or fortune.

If I had done the latter and been paid a penny a click over the past ten years, I would have made $46,254.97. Roughly $4,625.50 a year. Hoop dee doo. I’m glad I never did that. Money makes you a slave to the consumer of your content.

Nope. Steinbeck nailed my reasons for blogging In Awe of Words when he wrote:

“A writer out of loneliness is trying to communicate like a distant star sending signals. He isn’t telling or teaching or ordering. Rather he seeks to establish a relationship of meaning, of feeling, of observing. We are lonesome animals. We spend all life trying to be less lonesome. One of our ancient methods is to tell a story begging the listener to say — and to feel — ‘Yes, that’s the way it is… You’re not as alone as you thought.’”

That quote still hits me like a tuning fork.

In a reply to one of the comments on that old post, I wrote that blogging gives a rhythm to my weeks. That’s still true. But it’s also becoming more important, now, for me to connect with people out in cyberspace because I feel more and more disconnected from the people I live with here in my Continuum Care Community.

That’s partly because roughly a quarterly of the original residents that all moved in when I did (when the place was brand-new) have died or had to move to other buildings for more care. And every time that happens its a reminder that life is fragile. But it's also partly my own fault. I chose the double life I’m living as a kind of undercover reporter writing about my fellow residents. I observe. I make judgments, fair or otherwise. I hold nothing back when I write. But in person I hold back most of what’s going on in my head. On one hand, you can’t make deeper connections without taking risks and sharing our thoughts. On the other hand, civilized society doesn’t stay civil if we vocalize every observation and thought out loud in close-knit places like this. I have causal friends here, but no one close.

Early on, when management was looking for someone to write a weekly column for the CCC’s blog, my name came up because I started the creative writing club. But I refused. It sounded too hard to write about all the events going on while keeping my personal observations and quirky humor in check. I learned that lesson back in the ’80s when I wrote my first family history book and characterized the hometown of my nieces and nephew in a way my oldest niece didn’t think was fair. She was editing the book, and I ended up softening my description. That experience taught me that writing for community consumption is different from writing about a community. The family history book wasn’t about me, nor would an official CCC blog be — nor should they be. “Just give me the facts, ma’am,” as Sergeant Joe Friday supposedly said on Dragnet.

Except he didn’t. When I googled it, AI told me Joe Friday never actually said that line. What he said was, “All we want are the facts, ma’am.” A radio parody cemented the version we all remember.

And this — right here — is the point in my post where I’m supposed to come up with something profound or universal. Something that ties all these threads together. Something that makes readers nod and think, Yes, that’s the way it is for me, too.

But damn if that doesn’t get harder to do the older I get.

I look back on the friendships I’ve treasured over the years and I see a pattern: complete trust, a shared sense of humor, mutual respect for each other’s opinions, and the ability to really see each other — foibles and all. That kind of connection doesn’t come along every day. And it doesn’t always stay the same.

Friendship has been on my mind for a couple of months now, ever since my best friend since kindergarten was moved to an assisted living facility. She calls me sometimes ten to twenty times a day. I’ve changed her ringtone to something unique so I don’t have to run to find my phone every time it rings. And I’ve made it a rule to answer her only once a day. When I do, I put on my Clown Hat and entertain her with stories about life in my CCC or about our shared experiences growing up. She talks about the same theme every day — how she wants someone to take her home. I leave her laughing. She leaves me exhausted.

In days past, we walked back and forth to school every day of grade school and high school. We did everything together. We taught each other what friendship truly is. I thank the powers of the universe for putting us together all those years ago. And now we’ve come full circle with a slew of daily phone calls about nonsense and nothing not unlike what we used to do as boy-crazy teenagers.

Maybe that’s the universal thread I’ve been trying to find: connection doesn’t disappear as we age — it just changes shape. It becomes more intentional, more fragile, more precious. Sometimes it happens in the dining room or on a park bench here on campus. Sometimes it happens in a phone call about nothing. And sometimes it happens in the quiet space between a writer and a reader, we're like a distant star sends out a signal and hoping someone will feel the vibration and think, Yes. That’s the way it is for me, too. ©

39 comments:

  1. I just submitted a comment on how beautifully written this column is but I think I submitted it as "Anonymous". And even though we are distant stars and will never actually meet, I think a comment should have a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always appreciate it when there is a name attached to comments. But I'm forgiving when they don't because the way Bloggers is set up, anonymous is the default if we don't see the drop down arrow to pick an ID.

      Delete
  2. I love that Steinbeck quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You loved that last time I posted it six years ago too. I recently decided to he his book, The Sun Also Rises. It's still considered one of best literary accomplishments of all time. What made me decide to read it was one of those serendipity moments. After I wrote this post I was walking through our campus library and on the desk was a Smithsonian Magazine with a very long article about that book, Steinbeck and city that inspired to book. I sat right down and read it the article.

      Delete
    2. A few years ago I was in a book club with a group of (mostly) women 8-10 years younger than me. The books they chose were always the most recent best sellers, not trashy novels but also not memorable. When it was my turn, I proposed East of Eden because I wanted to introduce them to Steinbeck, knowing that this group of highly educated people would love him if given a chance. Ooops, I was wrong. The only one who read the book and came to the meeting to discuss it was the sole man in the group.
      Nina

      Delete
    3. That's one of my top five favorite books of all time! I'll admit it's not beach cozy, easy reading book but it's so rich in details and passages worth thinking about.

      Delete
    4. I know! That's why I was so hopeful that this group of highly intelligent women would love it and discern the difference betweeen beautiful literature and the latest best seller. Oh, well, it was worth the try. I really enjoy your writing and wish I could express myself as well on paper. It is an art.
      Nina

      Delete
    5. Book clubs sure are an interesting place to study personalities.

      Delete
  3. I checked back to see if I was following you back then and I see that I was. I can't remember how I found your blog or many of the other blogs I read but they have been real friend connections for me since I retired. Sharing hopes and fears and laughs and tears has been encouraging for me. I still have friends and family I see that support me through the ups and downs but I would miss my blog friends if I couldn't visit them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet you never started one of your own?? At least if you did I've been missing it all these years.

      Delete
    2. No, I'm not a writer like you! I just enjoy the interaction with friends around the world that I meet through their blogs.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post, Jean. Thank you for sharing the Steinbeck quote - I was not familiar with it. I miss a lot of the bloggers that I used to follow, who have ceased writing. Myself, I haven't been able to write about anything other than a quick dog blog post for some time now. My youngest sister has terminal cancer and I just don't have it in me at the moment - maybe not ever again. I am so glad you are yet sending out your signals.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your Bowser's posts. I really miss the dog blog platform. If I remember right it had over 700 of us bloggers writing in you dog's voice.

      Sorry about your sister. Sometimes it's hard enough to know how to feel and what to reveal about something so serious. Writing can feel overwhelming or cathartic depending on so many variables.

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way about reading. I read to know I am not alone. Thank you for your blog. I look forward to it every week. You are a very talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Blogging has improved my writing over the years.

      Delete
  6. I made my decision from the start that I would not monetize my blog. This is not a job for me, it is a release. Thank you for posting every week. I really enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an easy decision to me, too. Thank you for commenting from time to time.

      Delete
  7. Wow. Wonderfully thoughtful post, Jean. I saw an ad on Facebook for a bracelet that looks like a narrow silver band, but on the inside it says "This too shall pass. But, fucking hell."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started reading some of my old pandemic posts and was surprised how low and depressing that time frame was and how quickly we recovered our better moods. I love that bracelet.

      Delete
  8. I wrote a post not unlike this one a while back. Sending messages out into cyberspace because the connection matters. So glad I have found, in you, a mind that marches, at times, in time with mine.
    I am now about to call by telephone my best friend from childhood.
    You are wonderful to support yours. I tried with my closest cousin when she lapsed into dementia but she could not recognise my adult voice, and eventually they took away her phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keeping thinking I can't be the only person she keeps calling and that eventually her family will take her phone away. That happened to my brother but for different reasons. He couldn't remember how to use his very simple phone and was always having his caregivers having to figure out what he was trying to do.

      The strange part about my childhood friend...before she was put into assisted living we only talked on the phone maybe once a month best...mostly around any holiday. I can tell my research on how to handle my brother's dementia is helping with her and her family would do well to take in a few support group meetings because they are telling her things that upset her. Like she can't go home, other people are living there now. When they should be trying to distract her with questions like: What do you miss the most? What was your favorite room? Do you remember the day you moved in? Why did you paint the living room such a bold color? i tell her I know you miss you house, it's a hard transition but you have to believe your family was worried about you living all alone in that big house.

      My voice has changed a lot too and I shocked my friend still recognizes it.

      Delete
  9. I haven't had any relatives or friends my age with dementia, that I know of, but I do see signs in some people. It's so sad, and I know it's just a matter of time, but I hope I can keep all my marbles. I've lost so much in the stroke, I hate to lose anything else. The Thursday Murder Club books have dealt with that topic, very well, I thought, and I've thought about it a lot, but only in a "Gosh, I hope that's not me in a few years" way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can tell those who write from firsthand experience from those who don't. I know I read one of the Thursday Murder Club but I'm not a fan of the mystery/who done it genre. They sure are popular though, so you are in good company.

      Delete
  10. My oldest BFF and I are in the same cycle. The problem is that she has lost her teeth, has no dentures, and has had several strokes. I, on the other hand, can't hear on the phone, even with my hearing aids, unless it is someone who speaks very clearly. So she wants to talk, but I can't hear, so like you, I have a ringtone for her, and when she calls, I let it roll over and then text her back, again, that I can't hear on the phone, so text or email. She is not fond of either, so we have a problem, but I know that our hearts are still connected, and even if we can't talk on the phone, we will always be BFFs. Speaking of Steinbeck, I just started reading Hard Times by Studds Turkel. Sad but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y friend can't text or email either which is a shame because we can't exchange photos either. I've tried mailing some to her but she claims she doesn't get my mail and I've even double checked the address with her son.

      The Great Depression is hard to read about. A good one on the Topic is West With the Giraffes which wasn't depressing or sad and based on a real event.

      Delete
  11. Sorry about your friend. It's fun to snark about people you don't know. Not so much for people you're fond of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's impossible to 'snark' about people we are fond of but good natured teasing does go on.

      Delete
  12. Rick jokingly calls my blog buddies my "imaginary friends." He's right -- and he's wrong. I feel some of those who read my blog know me better than members of my own family or friends. And my bloggies are my friends, many in "real life" (we've met) and many I'd like to meet. In many (most) cases -- apart from those who have extremely thematic blogs and never reveal anything personal (no judgment, I enjoy those too), I know these friends. I know their families, their illnesses and challenges, things they enjoy, places they travel (or not), their pets, their hobbies, their style. Things that some of them believe or follow are WAY out of my belief system, but they have interesting hobbies or life challenges. I've stayed with bloggers when traveling and some have stayed with me. One even welcomed Rick on a cycling journey in Canada because he was my guy. We are as much a community as our neighborhoods are. And I love that.

    Blogging is more than a personal release and chance for me to write and record my life, feelings, or share art and photos. It is a way to continue to interact with others whe doing so in person isn't as easy as it used to be.

    I loved this post, Jean. It really touched me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree with you more about bloggers friends knowing more about us than a lot of our real-time family and friends. I learned a long time a go that very few of my face to face friends are interested in reading my blog. There are only two friends and two family members who do read here and for that I am grateful because just knowing they could be reading something I wrote helps me keep it real.

      Delete
  13. Love this post and all the comments. I appreciate your blog -- it's one of my very favorites and I no longer read many. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post has a wistfulness and tenderness that touched many of us. I'm repeating myself, but your posts are like really good letters from a friend. It's obvious lots of your readers feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I do have a very long history of letter writing, starting back when my best friend since kindergarten and I each spent our summers at our family's cottages.

      Delete
  15. I wrote during the pandemic so I think I'll pay a visit to that time. Although, I seriously doubt I would have written anything profound. I've known me for 68 years. I don't think I'm capable of profound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I am either, but I when I read some of the stuff I wrote back then I can see where I had worked harder on my writing and once in awhile I got to says, "Gosh, I wrote that!" It was a period where my writing skills improved.

      Delete
  16. Excellent Post Jean. I think it can resonate with many, finding Connections thruout Life is something Human Beings, as basically Social Creatures, do seek and cherish when they find meaningful Connections. Even reclusive folks do Cherish those smaller Inner Circles they've established and have a meaningful exchange with. Loneliness can happen in a Crowd if there is no Connection that is Meaningful. Being Solitary can be cherished and for me, the Older I get the more inclined I am to guard my Alone time and establish less Meaningful Relationships that don't require me to Invest a lot into them. Blogging does that for me, Caregiving can be very Isolating, and in Real Life I prefer a lot of cherished Acquaintances, being Nice to everyone and Close to few, it suits me. I have a full Dance Card with my Family/Loved Ones so I often do feel All Friended Up when it comes to Investing in other people outside of my small, every shrinking, Inner Circle. Most have moved away or passed away now... so... I can relate to what you said about your CCC even tho' I don't live in one, it's like a Microcosm of Life outside of one really... any Closed Off Environment is... whether it's Institutions or smaller Retirement Communities, it reflects Society in a more condensed form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's age in you case that make you value your alone time more. I'm guessing it's because so many people depend on you for their stability and to keep you little ship in the world upright. Too much responsibility wears a person out.

      Delete
  17. I had a similar thing going with a much loved Aunt. After my father, her brother died when she was 90, she would call my 2 brothers and me dozens of times a day. The thought would cross her mind, “talk to my niece or nephew,” and she was incapable of not acting on that fleeting thought, even when repeated many times a day. Or many times a hour. One brother, the kindest man I’ve ever known, would answer several times a day. The other brother, also kind but with limits, deleted his number from her phone, and set two times a week when he would call her, and did so without fail, since he knew the other two would be hit with tears and hysterics if he should ever forget. I was in between. I’d take the call the first time she called each day, then block her number, and unblock the next morning until she called again. You have to figure out what you can cope with, and still extend charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My niece suggested that I could block and unblock her number like you did with your aunt, but I'm afraid I'd forget to unblock her and leave her frustrated and bugging her family with worry about me. My changing her ringtone has helped me a lot. Your family was very kind in the way you handled what I assume is a common thing as we age. In the Memory Care building where my brother lived, he had a phone that could only call 5 or 6 numbers but eventually they had to take his phone away altogether because he was always asking the staff to fix it or help him phone someone.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.