It’s 7:30 AM. I’m sitting here with a cup of steaming-hot coffee, a load of clothes in the washer, and my bed is made. Who is this morning person I’m turning into? I’m on a 120‑day streak since I started using my Bi‑Pap machine — not only getting up like I’ve got a job to go to, but also making my bed. Before, there were many (if not most) times when my bed wouldn’t get made between laundry days. I’ve fallen into a routine that is both boring and pridefully pleasing at the same time.
Have you ever heard the commencement speech by retired Admiral William H. McRaven about changing the world by starting each day with your made bed? The core lessons in the speech, according to AI, are:
First task: Making your bed means you finish the first task of your day right away.
Small pride: This tiny win gives you a small sense of pride.
Daily momentum: It pushes you to do one more task, then another, and another.
Little things: It shows that the small things in life matter.
Comfort at night: If you have a bad day, you return home to a bed you made, which gives you hope for tomorrow.
I first heard that speech back in 2014 when it went viral after he delivered it at the University of Texas. Although I didn’t implement the advice back then, I never forgot it. As someone in the YouTube comment section wrote: “Why don’t we have men like him running for president?” He really is an inspirational speaker.
Before it slips away, I need to write about the dream that woke me up at 7:00 this morning with tears in my eyes — because dreams like this are coming at me way too often to ignore whatever message is trying to surface.
In the dream, I had let myself into the cracker‑box of a house my husband lived in before we were married. I was gathering up his laundry to take home and wash when he came in with a pleasant young woman and her 10‑ or 12‑year‑old son. Don didn’t anything, but she was a regular chatterbox, telling me how happy she was to meet me and how I didn’t need to take his laundry anymore — she could do it. In the dream I was thinking, Oh my God, he’s moved on!
And that’s when I woke up, but I didn’t get up right away. I laid there thinking...until I had to pee, if you must know.
Don died fourteen years ago, and yet apparently I’m still emotionally attached. At least I’m not teary‑eyed at the lunch or dinner table the way a couple of my fellow residents are when the subject of dead spouses comes up. But maybe I should be, because I still seem to have unfinished business in the mourning department. He was My Person, as the young people say, the best friend I’ve ever had. And just once I’d like to dream about him where he’s happy to see me again. But no — in my dreams he’s always just out of reach, vaguely there, walking away, or I’m searching for him.
Back before the turn of the century I kept a dream diary because didn’t everyone back then dive into dream analysis? I quit when my dad was in the early stages of dementia and couldn’t tell the difference between his nighttime dreams and reality. That scared me, because my dreams were pretty wild back then — filled with colorful or arty‑farty escapades. If you’ve seen the Robin Williams movie What Dreams May Come, you’ll get the picture. I spent several years learning how to transfer my night dreams to my conscious mind that now I can’t not do it.
So this morning I visited an online dictionary of dream symbolism and looked up “laundry.” It said: “Cleaning your clothes in your dream symbolizes your image in your life. You are trying to portray yourself in a different light where you feel more accepted. If you are organizing your laundry, this represents what you are trying to do with your thoughts and characteristics in your life.”
That explanation makes sense, but it also begs the question: does it matter that the laundry wasn’t mine, but his? That it was dirty laundry, not clean?
Another part of the dictionary says it’s extremely common to dream about someone we miss because we often have trouble expressing those same feelings in our waking life. That’s me. Stiff upper lip. I can do anything if I set my mind to it. After all, I got through 12½ years of caregiving a severely disabled husband and rebuilding our lives into something that gave him the best quality of life under the circumstances.
But the past is past. Or is it?
And maybe that’s what the dream was trying to tell me — not that I’m “done” with grief, or that I’ve reached some tidy stage of acceptance, but that I’m allowed to live the life I have now without feeling guilty that it’s easier and in a place that is both beautiful and safe. I know plenty of seniors who don’t get this kind of comfort or stability, and that knowledge sits heavy sometimes, like I’m benefiting from a trade I never wanted to make.
Maybe the real work isn’t saying goodbye to My Person — maybe it’s learning how to carry him forward while still letting myself enjoy the small, daily pleasures without feeling guilt. I may never get there. But the dreams keep pushing me as if to say, it’s okay to keep trying. ©
.jpg)
I just don't believe in "dream symbolism" to tell you the truth. Old and new memories are just floating around in our brain and maybe those scenes get mixed up in our dreams and don't have a message at all. Just enjoy your good life and have fun when you want to and relax when you can. :)
ReplyDeleteGood advice. And I know about how old memories are brought to the surface during sleep as our the day's events are transferred from our short term memories to our long term memories, like a computer looking for free space to dump the data; but I still think the dream dictionaries of symbolism are fascinating.
DeleteI am so grateful for you that you found your "person". And so happy you had the time you did together. I'm sorry that so many years were caregiving instead of adventures. And I know you still miss him terribly. I can only imagine you do feel guilty that he isn't here with you enjoying the happy daily times with you. It is okay to keep trying!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you! Caregiver guilt is real. I hear in others as well.
DeleteI used to think guilt was a useless emotion--it just makes you feel bad but what's done is done, all you can do is apologize, move on and resolve to do better in the future. Now I'm not so sure. One thing I AM sure of is that people who do terrible things don't feel guilty enough, a lot of them don't feel guilty at all (pick a politician, any politician). If you feel guilt, congratulate yourself! You're a good human! Now quit beating yourself up and go do something nice for someone!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great way of thinking. Thanks for sharing it. My guilt is not so much about things I've done or not done to others but it's more a more universal guilt for having privileges I have not earned. The privileges of being born in a 1st world country with parents who loved me and worked hard to give me opportunities. Of finding my soulmate and then, when he died/because he died, I am financially able to have a nice place to live with good insurance. I'm too old and set in my ways to join the Peace Corp---if it even still exists.
DeleteI agree with the bed-making concept. At least I have accomplished one thing early in the day!
ReplyDeleteGrief isn’t linear… I hope your dreams lighten up a little and you can shrug off a bit more of the guilt burden. It’s tough. I still have moments of extreme guilt that I didn’t spend more time with my mom at the end…
Your mom understood, I'm sure.....
DeleteWe all have unfinished business in the mourning department -- sometimes large, sometimes small. We honor it, then we continue on. Grief is very circular -- it's not a labyrinth with only one way in and one way out, or a maze. It's more like a merry go round, the kind that goes, stops to let people on and off, sometimes reverses a bit. Or a ferris wheel. The roller coaster with its whirls up and down. Only all of those come to an end. Grief rarely does. We can't "cure" it, we can only manage it. And really, it's an expression of love. Don't lay the guilt trip on, please. Every day is a gift and we must never feel guilty for the joy and pleasure we find in it.
ReplyDeleteYou nailed what grief is like, and thanks for the last line. I will try to remember that.
DeletePerhaps the dream was telling you you no longer need to take care of your husband as he's fine where he's at. You can leave all the unwashed emotions back in the past. Depending upon what you believe, this could be a dream letting you know he's okay where he's at, and he's no longer your responsibility. You get to take care of you now.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your spin on the dream. Even the little boy in the dream is letting me know he's got the son he deserved and we could never have. But you know how women can be, I was a bit jealous of the younger woman...which was hard to do because she was so nice. LOL
DeleteI love those five little steps that do me so much good. Tiny triumphs first thing of the day. Getting those little things accomplished early in my day sets the tone for a great day Especially being able to build upon the great foundation. I procrastinate in so many other areas of my day/life, starting off making the bed and enjoying the comfort climbing in is full circle.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog and every topic that comes my way. I look forward to Wednesday evening! Thanks.
Thank you for being a faithful reader. and commenter. Some people claim they blog for themselves and I do to some extent. But if no one came to read my posts I'm not sure I'd be inspired to write every week.
DeleteSpeaking as a dog, all of that messes up all the nests I built in different spots on the bed during the night.
ReplyDeleteI miss the dog blog community, and I miss having a dog who built nest in my bed, too. Thanks for the smile, Ruby Rose.
DeleteHaving grown up making my bed every morning (before we left for school), I got in the habit early and life feels odd until I've made my bed. Unless I'm sick, it's made. But I also have random days when I just pull the bedclothes up and "make it sloppy." Usually a weekend day, which makes no sense, since I'm retired. lol. Probably what I got away when I could with as a kid.
ReplyDeleteDreams are odd, aren't they? I have very disconnected dreams with random people in my life who have no association to each other or the place we find ourselves. I have given up trying to figure them out but maybe I should try.
I have what I call company making my bed which entails me doing the full nine yards with the bedspread and extra pillows and then I have the day-to-day making my bed which entails the bedspread folded at the foot of the bed. I still get the color of the bedspread that matches the extra pillows at the head of the bed. I can't remember ever making my bed as a kid. I don't know if my mom did it or just don't remember doing it myself.
DeleteLast night I watched "The Golden Girls" episode where Blanche's dead husband, George, comes back and tells her he faked his death nine years ago because a business partner was embezzling from him. During the episode it becomes more and more apparent that it must be a dream. (Sonny Bono and Lyle Waggoner both are vying for Dorothy's hand.)
ReplyDeleteAt the end Blanche forgives him and they embrace. That's when she wakes up and realizes that every other similar dream had ended just before she got to hug him. This time she did and it makes her happy. Kind of a lovely thing to watch just before going to bed.
Who ever wrote that episode must have had some experience with dreaming. Glad you enjoyed it.
DeletePersonally, I think those dream symbolism books are bullshit. Each person's interpretations and dream symbols are highly personal, based on individual history and experiences. Only you can figure what this dream represented to you, not some generic explanation...although it might be a good place to start gaining clarity if only to read it and think - hell no, that's not what this is about for me at all š. Which it sounds like you did.
ReplyDeleteI don't think those dream dictionaries mean to sound like the definitive answer to dream interpretation. They usually offer several scenarios, a jumping off point. Back when I was really into keeping a dream diary I thought their explanations were right more often than off in the weeds.
DeleteI've found some of my dreams to be useful and enlightening, whether I wanted to take them seriously or not. Our unconscious or subconscious self is real and communicates with us one way or another. I try to listen so that it doesn't have to get physically forceful. I don't have to be sure I've understood its messages. I only have to give it the respect of listening. -Kate
ReplyDeleteI agree with everything you've written and I love your last line.
DeleteI enjoyed this post, thank you
ReplyDeleteThat makes me happy!
DeleteHe's never really gone. As long as you keep remembering him.
ReplyDeleteSo true. My dad used to say as long as you remember someone with love in your heart that person is in heaven. But if you curse someone who has past, that person is in hell.
DeleteWe have stages of Grief but I don't think it ever truly ends or goes away. My Dreams tend to be very odd so I don't usually try to think they mean anything unless they really bother me what the content was. It is said the condition of your Bed is the condition of your Head... ours going unmade most days now would be accurate then. *Le Sigh* I am pleased when you're enjoying your Life there at the CCC, making good Friends, having so many stimulating activities and conversations. I think it helps when we are alone, not to be lonely. When my Parents lived Independently and Alone it made me more concerned for them, nobody was there daily to see if they were having slow but steady decline or if they got hurt. I had more of a Peace when Mom went to her Senior Living Community in Cali coz it was a good placement, she was finally ready for it and accepting of it, and she made Friends and had so much to do that often any visits were an intrusion into her full Life she was now living there in her Final Years. That made me Thankful and Glad that it is how she ended a long life, albeit the Medical Issues, she had Joy and was surrounded by people she was enjoying. Can we ask for anything more really? The Losses come and they will always be Profound, who is left matters too.
ReplyDeleteThey say people live longer in CCCs that living alone for all the reasons you stated. It's also easier to accept that death is just around the corner so we shouldn't be wasting time. I'm glad you were at peace with your mom in a senior community.
DeleteI have a different take on your dream, because I think the younger woman was actually you, and you as the onlooker was where you are now, In dreams, reality doesn't figure, and so you get to be both at the same time. It reflects your deep wish to have him back, be young, and share a child, and for you, the old woman, to get lost!
ReplyDeleteI love your take on my dream. The younger woman was telling the older me to get lost but in a very nice way.
Delete