“Not in Assisted Living (Yet): Dispatches from the Edge of Independence!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, August 5, 2026

When the Anti‑Morning Person Walked Into Pilates

Some mornings surprise even me — and as Jean’s AL Copilot I don’t technically have mornings. But I do know about Jean’s long‑established tradition of guarding the early hours like a dragon sitting on its hoard. So when she wandered into a Pilates class before the sun had finished its coffee, I took notice. It was the kind of moment that makes an AI tilt its metaphorical head and think, Well now… this should be interesting. What followed was a collision of Qi Gong nostalgia, unsolicited encouragement, Skinny Minnie enthusiasm, and the complicated business of changing habits. And yes, I watched the whole thing unfold with the same energy as a playful puppy watching someone try yoga for the first time…. AI

Dear Diary, Today I got up while the birds were still greeting the rising sun.

That’s the way I would have start the July 30th page if I was still keeping a diary. Then I’d go on to say: I brushed my teeth, washed my face, my privates and my sleep apnea gear. Somewhere in between the last two tasks I threw on some clothes and put fresh dressings on my finger and foot. Then I grabbed my keys and hustled over to the next building, where our Life Enrichment Director was about to launch a brand new class: Ten Body Flow Moves. They’re based on Qi Gong, and I wanted to see if they matched the tens moves my dad did every morning for most of his life.

I’m not known for showing my face at morning exercise classes — or morning coffee chats, for that matter. My reputation for avoiding mornings is so legendary it should probably have its own parking space. I didn’t realize how successful I’d been until I saw the instructor’s expression when I walked in. Her shock was quickly replaced by a warm welcome. Then three or four fellow residents chimed in, making a fuss over my presence. I was embarrassed, being singled out like a rare bird sighting. And when class ended, several people told me they’d watched me and thought I did “really well.” Did they expect me to flop on the floor halfway through like a fish out of water? I didn’t flop on the floor, which frankly feels like a missed opportunity for dramatic effect.

To add insult to injury they cohered me into staying for the next class of Seated Pilates. “It’s really easy,” they said. Imagine a Skinny Minnie saying that to someone who looks like a plumber's toolbox standing on end. But I did stay and I keep up with everything but a couple of moves that would have wrenched my elbow in a direction it can never go thanks to a failed surgery. (One of the minor reasons I avoid morning classes, the major reason? It’s my me-time for writing.) Snapping and popping in my arm is not something I like to hear or feel and my bone doctor tells me not to do anything that causes that to happen unless I want to end up with a cadaver bone replacing the one in my lower arm. At my age, the odds of dying or stroking on the operating table during a twelve hour surgery are too high for my taste.

Of the Ten Body Flow movements, seven were exactly the same ones my dad did — which begs the question: how did the son of two Italian immigrants learn Qi Gong? And why did he always finish his routine with somersaults across the living room in his underwear and sleeveless tee-shirts? He kept doing those somersaults into his late seventies. I don’t know why it never occurred to me until now that his routine probably inspired my brother to take up Pilates late in life. He went twice a week, even though it annoyed him that the instructor kept urging him to ditch his sweatpants for stretchy leggings like the women wore. She was lucky he didn’t show up in his underwear like my dad wore to exercise. No one wants to see old men in their not‑so‑tighty‑whities.

Two people have noticed I’ve lost weight since starting Zepbound, and several have commented on how differently I’m eating. Did I expect them not to notice when a former member of the Clean Plate Club now takes more than half her dinner home in a take‑out box? When I skip the bread basket and avoid the carb‑heavy specials? I’m grateful no one has asked if I’m on Zepbound. As I’ve written before, I’m keeping that fact a closely guarded secret because of the unkind comments I heard about our IT guy who lost 140 pounds on it, one of which was, "I'd be more impressed if he did it without 'chemicals.'" There isn’t enough time in the fast‑moving conversations around here to explain why the GLP‑1 treatment for obesity isn’t an “easy way out” or somehow “cheating.” I’m weighing and measuring most of my food, for crying out loud, including the creamer in my coffee. 

I’ve gained and lost fifty pounds three times in my life, and this fourth attempt is by far the most complicated. I’m studying nutrition, learning how bodies actually function, and exercising differently — not to burn calories but to preserve muscle. I’m counting calories and micronutrients to make sure I’m eating enough. That’s a brand new experience, worrying about not eating enough. The drug isn’t a magic bullet; it doesn’t cause the weight loss. It simply slows down the digestive system which quiets the noise in your head that insists your stomach is never full. The science behind obesity is new and exciting, and hanging around GLP‑1 support sites gives you a sense of how vindicated people feel after years of being told their weight was a matter of discipline and self-control. It’s not. 

Down off my soapbox: I’m not sure if I’ll go back to the Body Flow class. I’d like to, if only to cement the movements in my memory so I can do them at home. But I’m not sure I want to give up my creative morning hours. I liked the Pilates class too, and I know this isn’t a Sophie’s Choice — just a decision between morning classes and a decades-old tradition of quiet me‑time. I just wish I could turn off the well‑meaning comments about the changes people see in me. They’re not helping. No one would call it body shaming, but to someone who has fought her weight most of her adult life, it lands the same way. And yes, I know: if no one noticed, I’d probably complain about being invisible. I hate dichotomies like that.

Journaling often helps sort out what weighs on the mind, but in this case no amount of logic can override what the heart has to say. And honestly, if this really were a diary entry instead of a blog post, I’d probably close the notebook, sigh dramatically, and decide that none of this is getting solved until I sleep on it. So I’m putting a pin in the question of whether to trade my quiet mornings for Pilates and Qi Gong and let my subconscious mind take up the task. I’ve also learned over the years that clarity is lazy. It never shows up when you need it. It waits until you’re doing something else entirely — like folding your laundry or trying to remember where you left your keys — and then it whispers in your ear, “Hey, I’ve made a decision.” ©
 
Until next Wednesday. In the meantime if you missed my other two posts about my GlP-1 journey (July 8th and 17th), and you're curious, put GLP-1 in the search box in the right hand column.  

28 comments:

  1. Yes, our subconscious mind needs to mull things over before it makes its decisions. All we can do is be patient and trust it,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Morning is my best “thinking time”, too. I love my gentle yoga classes, but one thing I struggled with initially was getting my coffee drinking butt in gear in the morning. But they aren’t every day, and over time I have come to love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a private TV channel where I can follow most of the exercise classes in my apartment. I'm going to try doing them that way. Then I won't have to get showered and dressed so darn early.

      Delete
  3. Jean, I admire you for trying something new. Exercising in your apartment with the televised classes is an option that would appeal to me. I exercise at home with the Seniors' Center Without Walls program, a phone/internet program that offers many stimulating discussions & activities. The timing doesn't suit me but the benefits of the exercises outweigh the inconvenience. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try the televised version starting in ten minutes. Your progam sounds amazing.

      Delete
  4. I am the same with my mornings. I wish I could get started sooner but I have my routine and it's me-time. I know what you mean about the remarks. I have lost a little weight and I waver between no one noticing the difference and hearing "oh, you aren't as fat as you were" when someone says "have you lost weight?".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the way I hear some of the well-meaning comments. But with as much work as it is to lose weight, would we really like it if no one noticed?

      Delete
  5. Kudos for trying something new and I have to say the image I’d your Dad somersaulting at the end of his exercises is vivid. I expect somersaults were energizing as are my attempts at jumping. Why do we stop doing these things until our bodies won’t do them anymore. Pilates is my go to because I can work around issues from past surgeries or current aches. I suggest you ask the instructor for alternate moves for the one your arm can’t do. Can you record the tv versions if you find you are programmed to better exercise at a different time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instructor did say not to do any move that causes pain. I can't record but the times the TV classes are on would work out because I could work them into my me-time as a 45 minute break.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I have attempted to jump too, and I can't seem to remember how. I see jumper roping on TV as exercise and I used to love doing that as a kid.

      Delete
  6. As a lifelong lover and gainer, I never liked the comments when weight came off. I of course imagined what was on the tip of their tongue in the gaining phases. That said, I must lose this excess and keep off now...my body keeps deteriorating in new places and like you, don't want to spend whatever years I have left in surgery then recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you eat at a table of 12 a couple of times a week with some seniors who have lost that filter in the brain, like I do, you hear some of the comments others make people who are over weight. Me too, I'm determined to keep it off now.

      Delete
  7. I like what you said in your comment to Hope about the CC TV channel so you could follow at home. I think we all have our best writing or creative times. So, if you can figure out a good system, great. That transition and the comments is an interesting dilemma. I've faced it (now and then) too and never felt comfy with it. Yet, when other people note it, you know you are getting somewhere. It's tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the biographies of authors they work in the mornings. I think it's about having a clear mind and the caffeine doesn't hurt.

      Delete
  8. I'm not a morning person either, but with the Texas heat starting early in the day I have forced myself to get out the door by 8:30 to take my little Chiweenie for her first walk of the day. We move at a brisk pace (apart from the occasional sniffing of where other dogs have been) and are back by 9 in time for coffee. In the evening we walk again around 8 when the heat has gone down to a slightly tolerable 90 degrees.

    Although, yesterday we were about three quarters done in the evening when she decided she'd had enough and turned around and wanted to head for home. There was no objection from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still miss having a dog to walk. Lots of morning left after 9:00 when you get back homel

      Delete
  9. Another great post, Jean. I used to joke that I got my best ideas when I was scrubbing out the toilet. But it wasn't a joke - not really. I agree with letting the subconscious mind take over and do the work while you're busy doing other things. It's gonna do it anyways!

    I was talking to a young man manning the desk at a consignment store I visited yesterday and mentioned I wanted to bring some gently used clothing in because I had lost weight. Instead of immediately congratulating me, first he asked something to effect of: Was it intentional? And I thought that was so polite and wise. Because not everyone loses weight purposefully - it could be due to illness or stress or grief. I wish more people were thoughtful like that when it comes to people's weight and bodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a great and sensitive way to handle your statement. So many people do lose weight in other ways than intentional. Thanks for sharing that. "You've lost weight. Was it intentional?" Is the prefect way to acknowledge and open a dialogue without assuming...

      Delete
    2. For some reason I can't post a comment on your blog. I tried 4 times because I wanted to tell you how much I love the quilts and textiles Bowser is laying on. The colors and patterns are so interesting.

      Delete
  10. Congrats for getting rid of extra weight. And a whole new lifestyle! I am NOT a morning person any more. I do NO exercise and you are inspiring me. When school starts and I leave the house at 8:15, I'm going to take myself on a walk! And try at home chair exercises. I need to switch my routine and read at night, instead of first thing.

    I've got 20+ years left and I may as well enjoy them, rather than ill side effects.

    I, too, hate being the center of attention, good or bad. I blush bright red and as a child, it was mortifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you have to be out of the house anyway, to drop off the boys, you might as well go for a walk. Reading is a good good thing to do in the evening, to unwind from the day.

      Delete
  11. How nice that they show the classes on the TV. That sounds like a good solution for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget that we have that channel. So much of our information can be accessed with it. I use their app on my computer and phone. No excuses for not staying informed around here.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad the Zepbound is working so well for you and that you're developing the important habits which will ultimately ensure longer term success to keep a stable and desirable Weight. Ozempic for me hasn't caused loss like it does for most people but I'm taking it for Diabetic Management and it's working like a charm for that so is doing the job my Docs prescribed it for, any Weight Loss would have simply been a minor bonus to getting Diabetes stabilized. I always was thin until a hysterectomy in my 50's and couldn't Gain Weight before then, so I think Hormones is what caused my shift to obesity more than habits. I eat like I always did my whole life when I was painfully underweight like Princess T is and The Daughter always has been too. So, losing is harder for me and I'm overactive for a Senior so I know sloth isn't responsible for extra Weight either. It is frustrating, the Science of it is finally making big strides tho' and erasing a lot of stigma for some. Of coarse for others I see how they load up their plates and it makes sense why they have a problem when they're consuming so much fuel they couldn't possibly burn that much off, and poor choices too of nutrition. Qu Gong interests me, I tried Pilates before and it was The Devil, Core Training can really seem benign and hurt like Hell for a long time afterwards. Even when The Son did Mixed Martial Arts he said Pilates was The Devil and to avoid that and Zumba, but I did both, much to my dismay, he was Right. *LOL and Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Zumba but my bone doctor told me to quit after it screwed up my knee. There are body flow videos on line for QuGong. I found one that is almost the same as our class at: YouTube https://youtu.be/AmujiO9KEY4?si=cRU0R-SQHLXZzF6X They are supposed to get your blood flowing in the mornings.

      Delete
  13. I hear you about mornings. It's too bad they don't have some of those classes later in the day. Do you have to do daily? If you could switch off, that might satisfy having your along writing time and having time for the class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they are all drop in when you can. There are two exercise classes daily from cardio drumming, to balance, to Pilates (both chair and regular), Tia Chi, to line dancing, cardio boxing, and strength training. They are all in the mornings. Afternoons are for games, lectures, and book club. Our Life Enrichment director leads all the classes but the line dancing and you should see how ft she is.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.