There are friendships that teach you things when you’re young — how to share crayons, how to keep secrets, how to be loyal even when you’re mad. And then there are friendships that teach you things decades later, lessons you never expected to need. Jean’s best friend since kindergarten is teaching her the limits of her patience now. Yesterday she called Jean fifteen time, and had she answered each call, they would have been as fresh to Nancy as the first. Dementia has taken her memory, but not her need for connection. Jean got a little short with her on one of those calls — but Nancy didn’t remember it. Maybe that’s the grace and mercy in all of this...AI
I call Nancy my best friend since kindergarten, where we bonded over the sandbox. It was a large wooden box up on legs, filled with beach sand and assorted toys for the boys to build roads and moats for the sandcastles we girls made. Water was involved, and so were boxes and tin cans—our architectural building tools—and we had a cardboard drawbridge. Kindergarten in the ‘40s was nothing like it is today. It was more like daycare: story time, play time, and learning how to get along. If we learned anything academic, it didn’t register in my memory bank.
Nancy lived around the corner, and we walked to and from school every day from kindergarten through high school graduation — except for a two‑week period when we weren’t speaking. Try as I might, I can’t remember what we were fighting about. If I hadn’t destroyed most of my diaries when I moved into my continuum care community, I could have looked it up. I was a regular Laura Ingalls back in my teens, only instead of writing about frontier life I chronicled the movies we saw, the records we bought, the boys who looked our way, and other silly fluff no one would care about even if those diaries had survived two hundred years.
Nancy doesn’t remember that fight, let alone what caused it. She has dementia now, and if she calls her sons and nieces as often as she calls me, I feel sorry for them. Yesterday she called me fifteen times — not her record. I usually answer once a day and we talk for 12 to 17 minutes. But yesterday I broke my own rule and answered a second time. I wish I hadn’t.
We had just hung up from a half‑hour conversation where I told her about a Mahjong class I was teaching that afternoon. I thought the extra‑long chat might keep her from repeat dialing while I was teaching. It didn’t. When I answered the second time, I let my annoyance show as I told her my class was starting in a few minutes. “Oh, what class is that?” she asked. "We’ll talk tomorrow," I replied then hung up without saying goodbye.
The next day she was her normal cheerful self, asking how my day was going. I didn’t bother apologizing — she wouldn’t have remembered me hanging up on her any more than she remembers our teenage fight. It’s funny how memory works as people settle deeper into Dementia Village. Nancy can still talk recipes and cooking, one of my least favorite topics. But she was always my go‑to person for anything resembling entertaining. She spent most of her adult life creating fabulous menus and dinner parties in Washington, D.C. Her husband was an economics adviser who worked in the White House when the Democrats were in office and at the Brookings Institution when they weren’t. She loved china and linens and had seven or eight complete sets of dishes to prove it. I, on the other hand, fell apart at the thought of planning a party. And I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I planned a party — assuming I had lost two of my digits chopping cucumbers.
Now that she’s been moved to an Assisted Living facility, she often tells me she feels better after she talks to me. I don’t tell her she leaves me exhausted. We’ve been friends too long for that kind of honesty. Even my brother, when I saw him a couple of times a week down in our Memory Care building, didn’t wear me out like Nancy’s calls do. And they both sang the same songs: the Oh, How I Want to go Home blues and the I don’t Belong Here! protest march.
I also never told her about the time she flew from D.C. to Michigan after Don died and I had to run out and buy a stack of linen napkins to match my collection of antique diner dishes because I knew she thought paper napkins were beyond tacky. She would have died of cardiac arrest if she knew — gasp! — that sometimes I even used paper towels. She wanted to see me with her own eyes to know I was okay. That’s the kind of friend she was.
We were opposites in many ways. Don and I were blue‑collar; Nancy and her husband were white‑collar. They had children; we didn’t. She ignored politics completely; I loved talking about them. She loved to shop; I was allergic to the the upscale stores we'd go when she was in town. But our roots bound us together. And despite the miles between us, we could always sense when the other was stressed and needed a phone call.
I’ve been lucky to have two best friends in my life. One I met in kindergarten, and we were two peas in a pod until she married and moved out of state. For a couple of years, I resented her husband for taking her away. I missed having a best friend until Don came along and took on that role. Now, looking back, I wonder if Nancy and I had lived in the same city all these years, how that might have affected our marriages or friendship. We taught each other how to be loyal best friends, and we transferred that skill to our spouses. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think it’s possible to have two best friends at the same time. And a spouse will usually — rightly so — come first because you’re building a life together.
On the other hand, none of us can be everything to everyone. And as we age, our roles change. A spouse becomes a caregiver. A child or niece becomes our decision‑maker. A friend, like me, becomes a shoulder to cry on when the “mean children” won’t let you go back home. I’m also the only person still alive who knew Nancy during her first twenty‑five years on earth. By default, I’m the only one left who can help her reach back into those years. Searching for those memories in the dark corners of my mind so I can ask, “Do you remember the time…” might exhaust me, but it also makes me feel useful. I accept that new role with both sadness and pride that I still know where the drawbridge went in that old kindergarten sandbox. ©
Photo: The two of us, circa late 1950s.

Sometimes I think, there’s no one else alive who remembers this thing happening. So that is kind of sad but I guess it’s just the way things go as we get older and go through life. I think it’s very nice of you to listen to your friend. This is a beautiful post.
ReplyDeleteThank you. In a way it gives me a purpose---to make her laugh everyday. But it's strange to talk with her every day because we haven't done that since our teens.
DeleteWhat poignant thoughts you share here. I've yet to deal with this situation and I rather hope I never have to (or that my friends never have to deal with me in that state). Because they would. They would be as you are with Nancy. And yes, having a friend that dates back decades, someone who knew your parents, for heaven sakes -- that's rare at our age.
ReplyDeleteBut I disagree on more than one best friend. At least for me. I have several, but best in different ways. They all meet the main qualification: Could I phone them at three in the morning if something tragic happened and I needed them? Or would I feel compelled to wait till they may have had their second cup of coffee? My four besties come from three different times in my life, from childhood to high school and then adulthood, all with longevity records ranging from 25 to 70 years. Yikes. I have the A List (those folks); the B-list (you see them frequently, enjoy their company a lot and can tell them most anything, but not at 3 a.m.; the C-list (an occasional lunch out, like my retiree lunch, but not going to the movies with them or inviting them to the cottage; the D-list -- friendly with them if I encounter but no contact outside of that. Not that everyone has a category, but yes, more than one bestie in that A list!
Knowing how social you are and have always been I'm not at all surprised that you disagree with my theory on having more than one best friend at a time. And you make a good case that you can and do. I wish I had been more like you in my younger years, but that train as left the station. Thanks for sharing an oppose view.
DeleteDespite the serious topic, your mention of your kindergarten sandbox raised one of my own favorite kindergarten memories. We had a similar sandbox -- raised on legs, fine sand, lots of toys. My favorite was a little red tractor that I used to plow fields hither and yon. A classmate, a little boy, kept taking the tractor away from me and playing with it himself. Even at age four, I'd had it. When his back was turned, I buried the tractor deep into the sand: so deep that he couldn't find it when he returned.
ReplyDeleteIn those days, teacher paid attention to kids, and my teacher sidled up to me and said, "Do you think you could find that tractor somewhere." I knew she knew, so I dug it out. As an only child, I had a lot to learn about sharing!
That's a funny story. Burying the tractor seems like a better idea than fighting over it but the teacher, of course, was right to use it as a teaching moment about sharing. Love that you shared this memory.
DeleteIt's sad to watch a person fade with Alzheimer's. My brother has it and lives in Assisted Living. Each week I visit and see how slowly but surely he is getting worse and worse. He can't have a phone as he doesn't know how to use one. He can't turn on his TV as the remote is too complicated for him to figure out. But we can visit and share stories and memories. Sometimes he makes sense and sometimes he does not. I wish he would peacefully die in his sleep but I guess it isn't his time yet...
ReplyDeleteMy brother couldn't use a phone either and I keep hoping my friend will get to that point so her family will take it away from her. I think I am on a speed dial. They make special senior friendly TV remotes even those can get too complicated for some. My brother was always screwing his TV up so that an aid had to straighten out. Like you said, it's very sad to watch but if there is any grace in those kinds of situations, it gives us time to let go and grieve in stages so it's almost a relief when a loved one finally passes.
DeleteJean, your comment about letting go and grieving in stages really resonates with me. My mother didn't have a diagnosed dementia, but she just slid down further and further over a period of ten years. By the time she died we were very relieved, although devastated.
DeleteMost of us with elderly parents or spouses have experienced the letting go in stages even if we don't admit it out loud in fear that others won't understand. Thanks for your comment.
DeleteA brain affected by dementia is a peculiar thing. It's amazing what gets imbedded in the gyri & sulci. My MIL didn't know enough to take her meds but knew when her son didn't show up on time to give them to her! I commend you for tending to her on the phone once a day. We lose them twice - once to dementia & then to death.
ReplyDeleteLove your last sentence! I've never heard that before but it's so true.
DeleteOh what a Beautiful yet Emotional Post Jean, for a whole lotta reasons I can connect to. Nancy is a Priceless person in your life even with her illness progressing. I have some Friends of my Kiddos who call that incessantly tho', so it's not always dementia that makes people annoying with phones I suspect. *LOL and Eye Roll, Smiles* When you don't pick up they seem to think calling numerous more times might make you mad enuf to pick up? *Ha ha ha, Yeah, NO* I'm so many Unpublished Posts into the Future that it won't hit 'til a Fortnight but on Sept. 2nd The Daughter's Boyfriend, Mando, was killed in a hit and run Vehicular Homicide while riding his Bike to a Convenience Store! Kid in a Camaro doing over 60mph in a 25mph Residential Rural Neighborhood with poor lighting and no sidewalks, left the scene, but his Mom turned him in when she saw the damage to the vehicle and knew he'd killed someone. He and The Daughter had been helping their elderly Friend Jeff, who lives nearby, he said he'd be right back, didn't return, The Daughter hopped on her Bike to go check on him coz she felt something really Bad had happened. Of coarse she happened upon the Crime Scene in progress and since his Wallet had been left at Jeff's, she had to ID the "John Doe" Body by his Tattoos! And give the Police Phone Numbers to reach his Family. So, she's extremely traumatized, Vehicular Homicides being some of the most graphic of Crime Scenes, I worked them for Years... my Heart aches for everyone who Cared about him, horrible way to exit this Earthly Realm. Luckily his Go Fund Me Page on FB has Raised enuf for his Memorial and Funeral so the Family won't suffer financial hardship. At least now he won't Die slowly of the Cancer, which was pretty advanced and painful, and I felt had gone to his Brain, which is why we extended compassion even when he became difficult. Often we must extend patience and compassion when it's hard with those who are so ill... and it is exhausting Jean, but each of them is worth it and if you're there for them, then you're doing the Right thing by them and that counts too. I'm so sorry your Bestie is deteriorating like this, but at least she has you.
ReplyDeleteWow! What a tragic thing to happen to Mando and your daughter---and your whole family who has help your daughter cope with the event. To find a glimmer of a positivity in all this----that now he doesn't have to died a slow death by his cancer reaching is brain---is something to hold onto, that's for sure. And the fact that the hit and run driver's mother did the right thing to turn in her son. The hits just keeping coming for your family. Cyber hugs and healing thoughts coming your way.
DeleteIt's very sad to watch dementia take hold of someone. I watched it with my boyfriend's mom who cried out once, "I used to be smart!" (she had been an R.N.) I don't have best friends, only close ones. I do have a list of "ride or dies" as the saying goes but don't consider any above the rest. They share different aspects of my life: some from childhood, others from school, some from my daughters' activities, many from my teaching career.
ReplyDeleteI can identify with your boyfriend's mom. It scares me that I'm losing my math skills, even trying to figure out what time to leave for an appointment challenges me then it never did before. What am I going to lose next? Life sure changes from one stage to another, doesn't it.
DeleteThat is so sad what is happening to your friend, Jean. I've had to witness friends and family lose independence to age and disease but no one close has had dementia, so far. (Actually I have one friend with dementia but she is 1000s of miles away and won't come to the phone anymore so I get updates from her husband.) But I see a friend whose mother has lost her memory try desperately to stay patient with her. And almost 100% succeeding. I don't know how I would fare in a similar situation. I would hope I could show as much grace and patience as you and my friend are demonstrating.
ReplyDeleteNone of us knows how we would fare in situations where friends and family start losing their independence either for mental or physical reasons. When my husband had his stroke friends who I thought were close to him completely left his life but others steps up. You just never know.
DeleteYes, there is something exhausting about having the same conversation over and over, even though she needs it.
ReplyDeleteAs a teacher I'm sure you often have to have the same conversation with students until that light bulb goes off.
DeleteYou are the most patient and wonderful best friend.
ReplyDeleteYes I agree the new role is a bitter sweet one, a damn good read
ReplyDeleteYou are always so kind in your comments. Thank you for reading my blog.
DeleteI'm sorry it's so hard, but bless you.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure she'd do the same for me if the tables were turned.
DeleteIt's kind of you to stay in touch with your friend. I'm sure on some level she really appreciates it, even if her memory is going. My mom is 94 and has always stayed in touch with her best friend from high school. This year she noticed that friend starting to repeat herself, forget things they both knew, and just generally go on and on when they are on the phone. It makes her really sad, and at some point, she said she just had to tell her friend she had to go now and hung up. Heartbreaking really.
ReplyDeleteI do that too...give my friend an allotted time and then I say that we'll talk another day. Fortunately the first thing out of her mouth is, "Am I catching you at a bad time?" and I will tell her I have x number of minutes until I have to blab, blab, blab.
Delete