Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Weekly Widowhood Report

It’s been a busy week here on Widowhood Lane. I’ve had appointments every single day and one of those appointments involved a day trip to the other side of the state. I’m not big on shopping but three of my niece-in-laws wanted to go to one of those huge factory outlet malls and they were kind enough to invite me along. I managed to find something I’d been lusting after for several years, but even if I hadn’t been introduced to the concept of power shopping the trip would have been worth it. We laughed all the way over and back.

Now that I'm old and single again I'm finding that you end up right back where you start out as a teenager. I’ve blogged before about the 'movie and lunch' club I joined at the senior hall. But with this month's outing it dawned on me that it was a lot like group dating. Anywhere from 15 to 30 people meet for lunch and a movie and the only difference between now and back when I was young is now we had emails flying back and forth ahead of time, trying to figure who can give so-and-so a ride because they can't drive.

I wish I had something wise, witty or wonderful to write about. I don’t. On the other hand, I don’t have anything demented, depressing or desperate to report either. Life in my post-Don era is going on, one step after another with fewer and fewer false starts in between the steps. And when I do have an occasional, wispy wish for the past I remind myself of this quote attributed to playwright Carolyn Myers: “Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, then it’s not the end.” ©

1 comment:

  1. I just read this post and had to smile at the last quote. Over the weekend, I and my mother-in-law and sister-in law while my husband and I were visiting in St. Louis went to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel with Judy Dench and Maggie Smith and other wonderful British actors. The "owner" of the hotel frequently says "All will be alright in the end, and if it isn't alright, it's not the end." I find that quite consoling.

    See the movie.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.