Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Monday, January 30, 2012

Comfort Foods

Oh crap, widowhood is going to be fattening! I went to the grocery store today for the first time since the funeral. At the checkout stand, as I was trying to chock back tears while answering the clerk’s question about where my husband was, I discovered that I had loaded up my cart with all my comfort foods---Graceter’s chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips, Kraft macaroni and cheese, Chocolove bars of dark chocolate with orange peel, frozen deluxe pizza, and a bag of Brach’s orange slice jelly candy. Why can’t comfort foods be something that grows in God’s great earth and is picked by migrant workers? Why can’t we put on our fuzzy, old bathrobes and curl up with a bowl of broccoli and feel the same warm, metaphorical hugs we get from eating chocolate bars in bed?

This afternoon I sat in the kitchen, eating the gourmet ice cream right out of the carton while making calls to cancel all of Don’s upcoming appointments and to get information on removing his name from various documents, etc., etc. etc. So much paper work comes with dying! A half a pint eaten, half the calls on my list completed. Do the math and you’ll know exactly what I’ll be doing tomorrow. ©

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, Jean, no one commented and here I am a year and a half chiming in. It is nearly eight years since my husband died. I don't want to scare you but I am still buying Sourpatch Kids and Ben and Jerry's. I really don't mind that so much as the fact that my diet has gone not to pot but to styrofoam---take out cartons. My cooking skills have deteriorated along with my interest in food. I don't recommend this diet.
    I wonder how you are eating 200 blogs later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Ann. I have trouble getting people to comment for some reason.

    As for your question, I talk about food a lot in this blog and I've been all over the place from living on take out to taking cooking-for-one classes. Right now, I'm back sliding a little, but not to badly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jean! Recent widow 18FEB2015. Found your today and thought I'd start at beginning. I have trouble making myself eat, lost too much weight. Have it under control now, sort of. LOL. Interesting how it affects each of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome but I wish you didn't have a reason to look for widowhood related blogs. Gosh, we are two sides of the same coin. I can't stop eating. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.