Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Here We Go Again

What does a walnut napkin holder cut in the shape of our state, a flip book of plastic covered queue cards and a set of glasses etched with eagles on the front have in common? They all made me cry this week. Damn it! I thought I was past the weepy widow stage, that stage where everything you see brings a bittersweet memory. The napkin holder was something I hated since I first saw it at a Christmas craft show last year, but Don’s friend was selling them and no way could I tell Don in front of the guy that, “No, we don’t need it, I don’t want it. I don’t like. Put it back!” But that was how I felt at the time. The glasses were something he won at a fund raiser auction we’d gone to and while Don kept bidding on them I kept resisting the urge to grab the bid paddle out of his hand. Don loved going to auctions before his stroke but country auctions aren’t very wheelchair friendly so he’d had few opportunities since. He was having fun bidding on the glasses but I was thinking “No, we don’t need them. I don’t want them. I don’t like them. Put the paddle down!” This week, the glasses and napkin holder went to the Salvation Army box but not without a lot of guilt packed in around them.

The flip book of queue cards was another story. I couldn’t get rid of that. I found in a box of speech class homework and that box represented six years of hard work---so many hours of exercises and practice that involved us both. I managed to throw out everything in the box but the flip book. It sits in the garage waiting for the day when I might bite the bullet and make it disappear in the trash container. But I was proud of myself for throwing out what I did even though I cried like crazy over sorting through that box. The worse part, though, was a few days later I was in the basement and I noticed another box labeled: speech class homework I hope we never need again. Damn it! We don’t need it anymore. I don't like what it reminds me of and I don't want it anymore...but it still sits on the shelf. I had shed enough tears for one week.

In a few days it will be eight months since Don died. I have accomplished a lot in those months but every so often it seems like it was only yesterday that he was here laughing at one of my silly antics. Other spouses to stroke survivors with severe language disorders will understand what I mean when I say that after the stroke I became the Entertainer-in-Chief. You end up talking more because your spouse can’t talk. You end up projecting and guessing what your partner wants to say. One of my favorite memories from recent years is of a time when I had an argument with myself---me taking both Don’s side and my side of an issue. (When you know someone as well as I knew Don you know exactly how they think.) I was seriously getting wound up debating with myself when Don burst out laughing. And that was the end of “our” argument. I had won whatever "we" were disagreeing about. God, I miss him! ©




3 comments:

  1. Jean :

    I have never met you both before, but through your writing I miss Don too, I am so sorry for your loss, but I am sure you will meet him again some day.

    hugs,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Asha. Most of the time I'm doing fine. Don was a character and left an lasting impression on everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a good laugh/cry at you arguing both sides.
    I was caretaker for my dad for about a year after his massive stroke, so some of what you speak of during your stroke posts also different because it was dad and not husband. Dad also kept his sense of humor , didn't talk much or walk again either. Electric wheelchair was a blessing for both of us and mom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.