Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

The Discontented Siblings

At dinner tonight I was seated at a table with ten others. We’d each made a reservation for one so it was truly a random group. I like the “singles table” we’ve been harping about creating for a very long time and we have that at the lunch cafe. It’s always fun with a different mix of people every day. The management of main dining room that serves us dinner, though, just recently caved but they only offer the singles table one night a week. Otherwise the ‘big table’ is reserved for curated groups and you know what that means. If you guessed clicks form you’d be right. 

Not everyone is a fan of the big table. It’s not exactly the Jets and the Sharks from West Side Story but there is a sharp contrast between those, like me, who love the big table dining experience and those who like the “intimacy” of dining at the four topper tables. Dinner can be as boring as watching a TV set that’s not plugged in if the topic being discussed at a the small table is one I have zero interest in. With the big tables you can always find one end or the other or the middle talking about something interesting.

Back on topic: That night someone asked if I’d seen the hardwood bowl someone made in the woodshop on the lathe. I had and someone else said I’d better hurry up and get well so I could make my bowl. I’d taken a few of the required safety classes to work in the woodshop, my intentions made clear I was only interested in operating the lathe. My dad had a lathe when I was a teenager and in my distant past I had a miniature lathe for making stuff for dollhouses. I’d kill to have that lathe kit back again but when I moved after my husband’s stroke I gave it to my brother. I’m kind of afraid of the full sized lathe now after realizing the guy teaching one of the safety classes was missing two fingers.

Before my Epic Fall I had making a hardwood bowl near the top of the list of things I want to do before I die and I answered the remark above that I don’t rank making a bowl as high on my bucket list as I did before the fall. “I realize I don’t have time enough left to do all the things I want to do and I need to makes some cuts.” And that started the conversation around the table of what various people wanted to do before they die. One woman who carries an oxygen tank around said she just wants to stay healthy. Another said she was happy doing what she was doing and didn’t have a bucket list. And around the table we went with me seemly being the only discontented person. Or maybe I was the only discontented person at the table willing to admit it...otherwise I’m living in Mary Poppinsville where no one wants something they don’t already have. Either way, in Respite I’d been thinking about donating all my art supplies to a school and admitting I’ll never be the artist I was in my prime. I said that to my youngest niece when she brought me back home and who has the best oil painting I ever did hanging in her bedroom. She got upset that I would stop painting.

We’re not promised a life of total bliss, especially if we’re not making an effort to create that kind of peace and contentment in our little corners of the world that we sat we crave. So I’m in that no-wins, no loses zone where nothing ever happens. I’ll admit it, I have a low threshold for boredom. And if I’m going to be totally honest I’d say that’s a sign I’m getting better in my recovery progress from the Great Fall and broken ribs. I do have plans in my head for another Great Purge but that's more about facing my mortality than anything else, In real time I finally made a goal of putting a bra on for the first time since the fall. I’d like to take it right back off again, though. So does it still count? The visiting nurse today told me it takes one week for every day you spend in the hospital to recover which means I've got three more to go before I quit falling asleep in public and maybe quit obsessing about having too much stuff.

Shift in topic: I’ve been reading a lot about dementia lately or more specifically about how to handle someone who is fixated on going home. Some of the techniques of distract and redirect the conversation have quit working with my brother. Telling him the hard facts that this is where you live now, doesn’t work either. “You weren’t safe at home.” “You’ve got dementia, you’re brain plays tricks on you.” It breaks your heart to visit and see that he’s packed all his belongings up in a laundry basket and cardboard boxes just waiting to talk someone into helping him make a great escape.

One article I read said, “Often when a person with dementia asks to go home it refers to the sense of 'home' rather than home itself. 'Home' may represent memories of a time or place that was comfortable and secure and where they felt relaxed and happier. It could also be an indefinable place that may not physically exist.”  That was an eye opener and the techniques the article offered are ones I want to try and involves “validating and redirecting” by asking questions like  “Do you remember the street address?” “What room do you like the best?” “What’s your favorite memory there?” The article said if you insist---as we’ve been doing---that this is where you live now the person with dementia feels you aren’t listening to them, and we need to remember that it’s not the place per say they need, it’s a sense of knowing they are heard, still valued and loved that will settle them down. For well over a week, my brother has been fixated on going home and no one has been able to distract him. Not sure how switching tactics will work but I’m going to try this afternoon. ©

PHOTO NOTE: My brother is on the left in the sweater with the bucking horse. My mom made that sweater and he loved it so much when he stared to outgrow it she added length to the bottom and the sleeves so he could keep wearing it. I'm, of course, in the center front. The other boy was a neighbor.

41 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet story about your brother's sweater. I hope asking him questions and listening to him helps. That's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did calm him down and help him to relax but at the same time it felt a little like lying to feed his delusion that he was going to leave there at some point. So different than we've been doing. But as well as it went that day I have to remember that one article pointed out that what works one day might night work the next. All I know for sure is that day we spent a hour together and he was calm and happy when I left.

      Delete
  2. My ex bought me a lathe post stroke, thinking it was safer than my tablesaw. Joined a woodturning group where they discussed holes in the ceiling and walls when the wood flew off the lathe. At one of the monthly demonstrations a member was standing behind the lathe guy and the chisel he was using caught on the wood and went flying over his shoulder putting one of the guys eyes out. Didn't mention any of that to my ex. The bowls I tried to make never turned out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this, Dean! Now I know for sure my dreams of making a bowl needs to stay in the past. I don't have the hand strength I used to have and I can just see my chisel flying across the room. I've watched a lot of bowl turnings online and maybe giving up the dream will free me up to buy a bowl come summer at an art fairs. They always remind me of my dad in a certain era of our lives.

      Delete
  3. I think that’s good advice about how to talk to someone with dementia about their wanting to go home. I’ve been known to buy things (e.g. board games) not for the item itself but because of what it represents (fun family times in the past). So this rings true. Good luck, Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that too! I used to tell my husband he was trying to buy back his childhood. All his childhood stuff got taken away in a tornado.

      Delete
  4. What you shared about your bucket list changing since your fall is interesting. I guess we're constantly changing, especially as we grow older. We've learned much from our experiences--good and bad. Those who wanted to travel the world might opt for virtual travel. Those who wanted to serve may decide to simply send a donation. What really hits home, though, is that woman who carries around an oxygen tank. Truth be known, she would probably be thrilled to have a normal day without that burden. How many of us actually pause to appreciate the beauty of our "normal" days? As I waited my turn at the doctor's office this past Monday (I finally caved in and got medication to help me get over what appears to be sinus infection), I looked around at the other people waiting. The majority of us were senior citizens. I couldn't help but think about the many years of good health that I'd been given and didn't have the sense to appreciate. Pain wakes me up. It makes me want to take better care of myself. To be as careful as I can. To genuinely enjoy the good days. But you know how we humans are...we soon forget the value of a "normal" day when things are going well.

    It's hard to imagine what your brother is experiencing. Heart wrenching. I'm glad you found the article explaining the desire for the "sense of home." I'd never thought of it that way. Hoping the time you spend with him helps! Loved seeing that picture of you as kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your observations of us not appreciating the good days now and the good health we had for years is true. I am SO guilty of that. The woman with the oxygen got me too. She's always so cheerful and happy to see people as if she doesn't have a care in the world. Yet I've sat next to her several times when she had to leave because she's running out of oxygen. She lost 50 pounds when she got COPD and except for the oxgen attached she looks very healthy.

      Delete
  5. There's a lot of food for thought here. I don't think about a bucket list as such apart from getting back to England (and not having the legs to do it right now.) I'm really pretty content but I'm rarely bored because I still enjoy a lot of the things I do and the people I do them with. All the stuff at MSU yesterday though reminded me (again) how quickly all things can change and are we living the life we want and need to live right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do live a full life with a great balance of good friends and fun art projects. I really admire that about you.

      Delete
  6. The info about asking for a home meaning a sense of home where we are listened to, feel comfortable and "at home" is so interesting. I suspect that applies to all of us not only those with dementia. Thank you for sharing your insights and I'm sorry for your brother's struggles which must be hard to witness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Witnessing my brother's struggles are harder on my nieces and nephew for several reasons. 1) They've had a close-up look at my brother's decline a lot longer than I have, and 2) I think I can be more objective because our relationship isn't as close as that of a child caring for a parent with all the conflicting emotions that goes with that package. My goal is to hopefully help them in any way I can. I know from watching my husband go through this with his mom how hard that transition is from child to your parent's caregiver.

      Delete
  7. I think after a medical event like you had, a person does start thinking about their life and what's coming next. "How long have I got left" is often on my mind and affects the plans I consider for the future.
    You can't change your brother's mind - with my Dad, we just tried to bring comfort and a smile, even if just for a little while. That's about the best you can do with that disease as sad as that sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it is the best you can do. Usually I can redirect his illusions long enough for a nice visit but even I was amazed how much better it went to apply some of the tactics in the article. But it feels wrong to play along with his illusions, even if it did calm him down considerably.

      Delete
    2. I'm replying late because my computer has been out of commission for awhile. But I disagree that it is wrong to play along. I remember a woman who lived in my mom's assisted living facility. Her husband and son had died decades ago but she kept forgetting that. So as she wandered the halls asking people if they had heard from them, the advice the staff gave to us was to simply say something like they are at a movie. The people who insisted on honesty told her they had been dead for years; she would cry out "why hasn't anyone told me this?!?" and go into active mourning, causing her real despair. Because their awareness changes so frequently, I believe in meeting them where they are - using variable techniques to respond to their current mindset. No matter what we do, it is a heartbreaking situation.
      Nina

      Delete
    3. I've been hearing the term "meet them where they are at" often in past month or two and it really does seem like the kindest approach. Your example is perfect to showcase the results of both approaches....total honesty and lying or I like your term better "playing along."

      Delete
  8. NOTE to all my blogger friends at WORD PRESS: I can't seem to leave comments on your blogs and it's so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when Wordpress and Blogger stop speaking to one another! I went in and changed the settings on my comments so that people no longer have to give a name and email address to comment; see if that helps.

      Delete
    2. I hope it does. I did the same thing here and I think it did.

      Delete
  9. When this has happened in the past, there have been a couple of solutions that have worked. What's the message you're getting, or what's happening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember seeing message but I tried three times to leave a comment about the pine trees and also two on another Word Press blogger's on the same day. I'd write the comment and it would take me to a log on page for Word Press and I'd do it. (I got an account just so I could comment.) and then after logging in it takes me back to the page I was trying to comment on but no comment appeared and I'd start all over again with the same results.

      Delete
    2. I went back and looked at your previous comments. Up to December, you were using your name (misadventuresofwidowhood) and your email address, and everything was working just fine. There are several bloggers who either are self-hosted or on blogger who still are commenting--have you changed your email address? Your ISP? There's no reason you should have to log into WordPress. That's weird. I looked at my settings, and all that's required is name and email. I haven't checked the box that says you have to be a registered user.

      Delete
  10. My mom had dementia and she talked a lot about running away (she lived in locked memory care.) Whenever she'd bring the subject up, I'd ask where she was going to go (Alaska--where she lived once--now 3000 miles away) how she intended to get there (hitchhiking was usually her answer) and what she planned to do when she got there (live!) When I was younger and people were "senile," I worked in a nursing home. We were trained to "bring people back to reality" by telling them the date, time of year, current weather, current President, etc. I was young but I could see even then that this was stupid. When my senile residents said their dad was coming today to take them to a ball game, I would just ask what teams were playing, were they going to get peanuts, things like that. I got caught doing this a time or two and was reprimanded but it didn't stop me and I did the same thing with my mom. Dementia folks are in a different reality than we are and my feeling is its easier for us to visit their reality than it is for them to visit ours. I think that article is on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you said about it being easier to visit in their reality than them to visit ours. I will use that as my mantra to keep me from trying to do the opposite. Thanks for sharing your story and experiences.

      Delete
  11. Does your brother have familiar photos and wall art around him? Was he able to choose what to take with him? Everyone dealing with dementia has different triggers and soothers, but that one is mentioned a lot in help articles. Does he eat his meals in a dining area or does he eat alone? Soooooo many things to consider when trying to help someone with dementia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He went from a Covid rehab after a long hospitalization to the Memory Care and didn't have an input in what he'd like to take (which I personally would hate) but in his case it was necessary. It's his photo albums and pictures of family that he wanted me to take out of his room. I didn't, but I put them in his dresser drawer (with his permission) and that made him happy. He was worried about having too much stuff.

      He's got two pieces of art in his room, one my mom painted and a print I gave him that hung in his living room. He wanted to give the print to the music therapist when he leaves until I told him how much it cost and how she wouldn't be allowed to take it. I told him I'd look for a postcard or cheap print with the same old gas station theme that she could keep and I'm not finding one. (If I had a good printer I could take a photo of it but chances are he's forgotten the idea anyway by now.) He eats some meals in his room, some out with the others. One thing the article said is that just because something works one day, doesn't mean it will the next.

      Delete
    2. Which means you have to pull every rabbit out of your hat every visit. Sounds like your muscle memory is kicking in well enough to handle issues as they present. Wish I could give you a (very gentle) hug.

      Delete
  12. When I think of big tables I think of Christmas at my Nan's house and later at my parents place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it's like here. Everyone talking at once, lots of laughter.

      Delete
    2. Everyone talking at once may be the reason some would prefer the four-tops or smaller tables. Even now he has hearing aids it would be difficult for my husband to handle so many conversations. Genie

      Delete
    3. That's exactly why some prefer the small tables but there is room for both.

      Delete
  13. The idea of "home" vs a dementia patient's actual home is interesting. My mother-in-law had dementia, and as it progressed, she started to "pack her bags" constantly. She was always convinced her mother was coming to pick her up and would put her belongings into anything she could find. Including the waste basket until her daughter realized it when things went missing that the staff had taken out with the trash. Her belongings had to be really scaled down as she progressed. But her conversation really varied from day to day and we never knew what we'd find. Dementia was one of the topics in my hospice training, so I had an easier time talking to her than my DH. He was just really distressed by the visits. But of course, he had a long history and more emotional attachment than I did. Eventually she was very comfortable in her living arrangement and the day to day took over for her. To the point where she knew DH was her son, but couldn't remember his name most days. It's really hard to watch. I feel for you and I'm glad you have some strategies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to watch both the parent and the adult children go through this. But being in a safe place is still better than letting someone with dementia stay on their own to wander off. That case recently here in MI where the guy with dementia was found dead in the woods after being missing for several weeks was heart breaking. You'd never forgive yourself.

      Delete
  14. My brother's struggle with dementia was short and probably exacerbated by his cancer, although I had known for a while something was up. When he was still working, he was a successful owner of a mortuary and two cemeteries. He was thinking about buying a plot of land and couldn't begin to figure out how many grave sites that would represent. He asked me to run a quick calculation since I was good at math. I was, but so was he. I began to see some early signs I had seen in Dad. When dementia deepened, my brother's constant refrain was to ask didn't he have some appointment that day. Reassuring him that he didn't did no good, but often if I would redirect his worry by mentioning how punctual he'd been all his life and how he'd always honored commitments. I would ask a question about that and he could talk about that and relax. Not always. And toward the end of his life, this brother thirteen months younger than I am decided I was his enemy and he banned me from his house, leaving my two other siblings to care for him. We do what we can with the best efforts we can make, and it appears that your brother and nieces and nephews are benefitting from your caring attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. "We do what we can with the best efforts we can make." My brother is so lucky to have kids who care and keep showing up no matter how hard it is for them and on them.

      Delete
  15. Perhaps it's a bit soon after your fall and temporary relocation to make big decisions about giving things up/away. You're still recovering physically and emotionally from a very substantial event. It was a shock, really. You need more time to fully regain yourself. So, so much has happened in a very short time: you lost Levi, you parted with an enormous amount of your and your husband's things, you sold your house, you relocated, you settled in, your brother joined the campus, you fell, you relocated again, you rehabbed, you relocated again, and now you're still healing. That's a LOT. Give yourself the gifts of Time and Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that's very good advice. I'm just not a patient person sometimes. A slight bit of depression is trying to take root due to the fall and aftermath and I'm fighting it.

      Delete
  16. Home refers to the sense of 'home' rather than home itself. That's fascinating and I wish I'd know that years ago when dealing with my aging aunt. As for jettisoning your art supplies, maybe let that wait until you've had time to recover fully from your fall. A thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I think you're right about the art supplies. Even if I don't ever use them they are still part of how I think of myself as being.... Although I really do have the urge to purge stuff, then I worry that I'm becoming like my brother in wanting less actual stuff to haul around. Even if my reasons are different than his. At least I think they are.

      Delete
  17. Contentment, well, there's a loaded topic right there. Redirection of asking your Brother specific questions about Home might be a very good idea, sometimes just the loss of Memories is frightening to those struggling with maintaining them. When my Friend Bess had Dementia she lit up when we'd discuss anything she did still remember and I just avoided those topics I knew she couldn't recall at all. Which, sadly, included who I was, but she was so happy to get my Calls and I told her not to worry about who I was, I remembered who she was and that's all that mattered. Fixating on having too much, well... we all know I can relate to that torment. ha ha ha Recovery from a bad injury takes time, my Shoulder is still messed up but I'm glad I ditched PT and am doing what works better for me as I'm Healing, however long it takes, is however long it takes. As for Bucket Lists, well, I know some will never be crossed off, mebbe most of them, but I will not ditch The List, the possibilities and Fantasies sustain me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep remembering a line from a movie when one of the characters was asked why keep visiting someone in a home with dementia when "she doesn't remember you" and the guy replied "because I remember her." And I don't remember if I added this part or the movie script did but the jest of it was that he was a friendly face to her that she enjoyed meeting and that was enough to keep him going. It might have been the 'Notebook' movie.

      I compared notes with both my nieces and we've all had calmer, more relaxed conversations with my brother since we switched tactics. Right now the place is in Covid lock down now which is really hard on the staff and the residence, trying to keep them all in their rooms.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.