Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, February 11, 2023

Back in the Saddle and the God Question. Again


I’m chugging along, doing the bare minimum to stay alive and I’m not liking this new me that can’t sleep at night but who falls asleep during the day, whenever the drone of voices are around me. But I may have turned a corner. Tuesday I had to go to the doctor’s office, then since it was near-by I went to the grocery store. When I got back home again I sat in my La-Z-Boy at five and slept until 10:30 when I got up and went to bed and slept until almost nine. No sleeping pill, no Tylenol 500s, no Lidocaine patch and best of all no rib or shoulder pain to wake me back up. I don’t think I even heard five minutes of my sleep meditation app that was playing on my Kindle.

The next day I managed to stay awake long enough at lunch to eat my beef and barley soup and chocolate pudding. I was so encouraged by that and my marathon sleep episode that I accepted a dinner invitation for that night, even though I had some precooked barbecued spare ribs in the refrigerator. You’d think ribs would be the last thing I’d wanted to eat considering what all I’ve been through after breaking a couple of mine. When I do get around to eating them, I’ll give an extra thanks to the Spirit of the Pig who gave them up. Poor pigs, cows and chickens. I wish I could be a vegetarian but I just can’t bring myself to give up my childhood training--that dinner plates should be divided up into three sections for meat, starches and veggies. Whenever I have a choice, though, I buy the free-range and the certified organic and humanely treated farm stock and produce plus I feel sufficiently guilty while licking my fingers. 

At the creative writing group I started and the others seems to enjoy they got into a discussion about how their churches are each handling the “gay issue” and that alphabet of other rainbow communities I can never get right. Their church’s mucky mucks are rewriting their stand on the issues and breaking up and making up as they come to a decision on how much acceptance they can show or not show and still believe in the Bible. Some noted scholar is going back to review all the Biblical translations to see if they were accurate and unduly influenced by the men who did them over the centuries. Duh. That was one discussion I would have liked to have slept through but it was too small of a group to get away with doing so. 

But in general I’m always been fascinated with how deeply involved in church doctrine some people get. It’s almost as if they don’t have a moral compass of their own to guide them without the scriptures to tell them not to screw their neighbor's wife or to steal a wheelbarrow from a guy down the street who accidentally left his outside overnight. To me, all you need to know is the Ten Commandments. Yet even those have been deluded and nuanced by the church: It was okay to murder others during the Crusades and wars since then if you are on the ‘right’ side and the sin of adultery can be forgiven if you ask nicely and mean it. Even the sin of sexual misconduct with children within the ranks of the Catholic Church leaders wasn’t/isn’t enough to persuade many true believers that the Men of the Cloth are first of all, just men capable of all the same sins and evils as any other. 

Near the end of our creative writing session, someone stated that we’ve all been called to serve God and I blurred out, “Not me.” Just then someone wandered into our room, changing the energy and discussion so thankfully I didn’t have to explain myself. I’m not sure but I might have told them about an uncle I had who I like to say could have been the prototype for the door-to-door Bible salesman in the movie Paper Moon. He swindled hundreds of dollars from most of his brother-in-laws including my dad and he got away with it because he was “a Man of God” and God would see that they got repaid someday which, of course, never came. 

My uncle lived in a travel trailer and would spend a week living in our driveway a couple of times a year while he restocked his supply of Bibles and other stuff he sold to churches on his southern route or his northern route. Never paid a penny towards the electricity and water he used or the food he and his wife ate. She did, however, help my mom deep clean the house during those weeks. My mom and her sister were close and maybe this was part of a barter they worked out, I can’t say.  But my dad just tolerated my uncle and his nightly, long winded prayers at the dinner table while my brother and did our share of snickering during those prayers only to feel my mom’s kicks under the table. 

Oh, yes, I’ve known plenty of people who’ve “been called to God” many of them served themselves but at least one aunt on my Dad's side actually did serve her God her entire adult life, scrubbing floors on her hands and knees for the Catholic Church.  ©

34 comments:

  1. I'm glad your sleep patterns are beginning to even out a bit. As for the pigs, chickens, and cows, I always giggle a bit when I hear people going on about their feelings. It's not that humane treatment isn't important, it's just that I never hear anyone talking about what the wheat or corn feel when the threshing machine or mechanical picker comes along. Hey! Plants have feelings, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha...but do plants have faces to express their feelings? I find it interesting that native tribes around the world thank the animal for the food they provide but certain religious denominations thank God for the food He provides.

      Delete
    2. That was me, up above. I don't know if faces are necessary for expressions of feeling, but I sure do know that if I talk to my plants nicely, they do better for me. Well, at least they seem to. Maybe it's just that when I'm talking to them, I also remember that I ought to water and feed them!

      Delete
    3. As much time as you spend photographing plants I can believe you have a special relationship/form of communication with them.

      Delete
  2. Jean, I am so glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery. Your body was telling you it needed restorative sleep; not unexpected after all you have been through.

    The religion thing: So much hatred and wrong doing has been inflicted on others in the name of religion. Recognizing that there are over 4,000 different religions in this world, I've chosen to live my life pretty much by the golden rule. It encompasses the power of goodness; what we bestow on others in the name of goodwill inevitably comes back to us in the form of happiness and contentment.

    The judgmental mindset of those who are threatened by those who are different; so sad! It must drive you crazy at times to listen to such ill-informed people (trying to be kind here).

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Golden Rule is something we should all be able to agree upon but obviously is not happening in our world. I've lived in a straight-laced community my entire life, now when I run into people who are open minded and accepting of others I'm somewhat shocked even though their numbers are growing in my corner of the world.

      Delete
  3. “It’s like they don’t have a moral compass of their own…” YES! My thoughts exactly. I don’t need anyone or any book to tell me when I am thinking or doing wrong because I have empathy and a conscience.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad taught me empathy and my mom taught me to have a conscience and neither one ever owned a Bible. When I was eleven I was given one at a Sunday School Class but I content by that age you pretty much know right from wrong you just haven't a lot of chance to practice living it yet. I still have that Bible.

      Delete
  4. That would be an interesting discussion. History is written by the winners -- you wonder what really happened. It's like the telephone game you play in grade school where you start whispering something and pass it along to the class and by the time it gets through, it's completely different. Or "pick-a-little, talk-a-little" in "The Music Man." You start dealing with stories that have been passed down through generations and who knows what is true and what isn't. The point is the message and as you pointed out, there appear to be plenty of rationalizations to those Ten Commandments that blow them out the window.

    But on another note off my traditional soap box of hypocrisy and fake news, I am so glad you are feeling much better! That's good news indeed and I'm thrilled you have turned that corner. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely on the mend and down to taking just two Tylenol 500s a day. Should probably be three but I forget about their power.

      When you consider that the Bible wasn't put into written form for 400 years after Jesus walked the earth I don't see how anyone can take the words as if they are blood oaths. Other founders of other major religions in the world walked the earth during the same period as Jesus and they all have similar parables to teach values in their shared histories. I believe in the historical Jesus but not the mystical Jesus. I look at the Bible as an early attempt to record the history of values and morals.

      Delete
  5. Well, said about the God stuff. As an atheist,it's hard sometimes to hear and see all the christian stuff. I'm glad you had the courage to say"not me"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where that came from. I was just too darn tired to pretend/stay silent.

      Delete
  6. More awfulness has been done in the name of various gods than for any other reason. I prefer to trust my own moral compass, as you do, and it has not steered me wrong yet.

    So glad that you're feeling better and can tell that you're making steady progress. Keep on keeping on, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone asked me at dinner last night if I was back to 100% now. I wanted to scream, "No I'm not! Can't you see I can't stand straight yet and I'm sill required by my PT to used a walker until March when most of the healing will be done. I can't lay down without pain and it's a effort to be nice." I didn't say any of that and just wished I'd done take-out instead. I don't like being put in a position of either lying to others or to myself. "Nope," I answered. "It will be six weeks they tell me to be 100%."

      Delete
  7. Three cheers for you going to the doctor's office and grocery store!! What a difference a few weeks have made for you, Jean. I've been falling asleep often, throughout the day, too, as I fight a nasty virus. All I know is that we really must need the rest to heal.

    I know that many children are reared in a religious setting, and I think that often impacts their belief system. But I don't understand why there are so many different churches. My husband and I were brought up in different faiths, and that has actually helped me change my thinking. One thing I know for sure is that most people go to the grave thinking they are right. Case in point, your uncle. Gosh, your parents had to be saints to allow him to stay at your home. But then you said your aunt and mom were close, so your folks wanted to maintain that relationship.

    I agree that what most of us need is to simply embrace the Ten Commandments and let petty differences go.

    Hope you continue to feel better and better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we BOTH continue to heal. I'm so fearful of another fall before the ribs are healed. That could end with a punctured lung.

      My mom and her siblings were separated as children when their mother died and they found each other again as adults. The sisters were important to each other. The older ones lived with relatives and at least saw each other once in a while growing up but the youngest one (whose birth caused their mother's death) really resented having been given to strangers from out of state to raise. It took the older sisters a while to track her down and at first the reunion was good but then the envy and resentment started and youngest sister changed her name, didn't want even that connection to the father that gave her away.

      Delete
  8. My word, Jean, your mom and her family went through hell. Some things are so hard to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was a remarkable woman, especially considering her first 24 years.

      Delete
  9. I was raised Catholic and went through Catholic school all the way through college. Now I have no religion and I get angry when I reflect on all of the silly rules and judgements that the Catholic church encourages and insists on.
    My folks taught us to respect others and be kind and a person doesn't need more rules than that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there a prior post about your mother's first 24 years? That's a provocative and fascinating sentence!
    Going to the store by yourself sounds like you're 50% on the recovery. So good to read that. 8>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't write about my mom muchand I didn't mean to sound provocative, but here's one post where over half is devoted to her: https://misadventuresofwidowhood.blogspot.com/2018/04/friends-who-read-blogs-and-mom-i-still.html She just had a hard life early on and its hardships effected many aspects of my life as well. Being independent, getting an education and being able to make a living without depending on a man was driven into me at an early age. Being a long ranger planner too, came from my mom.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for that link. I loved the post and the photos. Teaching our kids independence and resilience is important and a clear sign of love.

      Delete
  11. Having all the place sleep pattens suck just like wanting to sleep all the time sucks. I am not a religious person but I do believe in God and the power of pray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could get the sleep pattern back again, but it will come in time. Just got to keep working on it. I'm glad your God serves a useful place in your life.

      Delete
  12. I was raised in a very religious home, and I'm surprised by how much these kind of comments grate on me as I age. Not to be cynical, but I think a lot of these churches are twisting themselves into knots trying to figure out how to allow basic human behavior to be "OK" and not break their rules. So what is called for? Another new interpretation. Good for you on speaking up. Perhaps serving others is the better route...since everyone seems to have their own idea of how they should "serve God."

    Glad you're healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the Writing Club members the churches I was surrounded by growing up in West Michigan are splitting up over how to accept or not accept the rainbow communities. As I said to them, with the advances in and understanding of reproductive science becomes more mainstream eventually those who refuse to give up their bias will be a dying breed.

      Delete
  13. Having insomnia I read this and thought, how wonderful for you to get that kind of sleep. When I do get that I have so much more energy during the day. Going out to the store is such good sounding progress Jean. I know you want more, as they kept telling me - baby steps, appreciate baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you're feeling better! ❤️
    Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've found with the Churchy Crowd that many of them just have Religion and don't really have a Relationship with their Creator. It's all a form and a fashion and they're very Legalistic about the way they walk out their alleged 'Faith'... plus, much of it is Talk without corresponding evidence or Action in the way they treat people or show that they're willing to be Christ in the Flesh here in their Earthly Realm. I think it would be more becoming if they were. I think it was Ghandi that said he liked our Christ, but not our Christians, because he didn't see Christ in them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jean, I love your blurted out response to the assumption that we have all been called to do God's work. There was a period when Jehovah's Witnesses or some other proselytizing religious group showed up on my doorstep several times a year. Eventually, I happened on the response of breaking into their spiel and saying politely, "I'm sorry, but I believe in an entirely different set of gods than you do." Their eyes would get wide (the idea of multiple gods particularly alarmed them) and they would beat a hasty retreat. Eventually, they stopped coming back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I never knew any who could easily discourage a Jehovah's Witness.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.