Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, April 15, 2023

The 2.0 version of Me

“You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear” is an English proverb with its earliest reference in writing recorded in 1579 by a satirist named Stephen Gosson. Whether it originated in his brain or it was a commonly known saying back then, no one knows or will ever know unless time-travel becomes a real thing. Hey, it could happen someplace other than in romance books and action-adventure movies. I’m a firm believer in the theory that anything Man can dream up we can achieve. Except for world peace and the end of tribalism in politics. Those dreams are getting dangerously close to being diced and fried up like a sliver of pork rind in a dystopia world.

Back during the height of the pandemic I was hooked on reading dystopia and post-apocalyptic books. And it just dawned on me that what I was looking for and found in those books was the concept that “it could be worse.” That was my dad, always searched for a way to comfort me when I was belly-aching about anything from having my feelings hurt to losing my mom. “It could be worse,” he’d say, “instead of saying mean words that girl could have punched you.” “Instead of your mom dying she could still be suffering in a lot of pain.” The isolation of living through our pandemic didn’t seem so bad when compared to running about in a world void of vegetation or made-made buildings or governments. Although even in my prime I would have been one of the first to die in that kind of world because I don’t know how to build a cross between a go-cart and motorcycle out of spare parts nor do I own a black leather outfit and both seem to be mandatory requirements for surviving in a dark future.
 
I suppose you’re wondering how I could go from purses to post-apocalyptic survivalists in two paragraphs. That’s a fair question and the answer is I’m ramble writing which I do when I’m trying to see what falls out of my head when I’m not trying so hard to write something on a fixed topic that I'm hoping will ‘Wow’ others. And it worked because I’m finally remembering something I read on a fitness trainer’s website that at the time I thought might be a good starting point for a blog post: 

“Stop chasing a former version of yourself
Its outdated
Force on the 2.0 version.”

Can you keep a secret? I miss the old me. The one who was confident when I opened my mouth that words would come out in the order I intended. I miss the women who once painted portraits and had the audacity to dream I could be another John Singer Sargent. I miss the arty-farty me who jumped in feet first with any craft that came along and of course, I miss the me who didn’t carry around too much body mass. I miss being best friends with my husband and so many other things the years have taken away---or I carelessly let slip though my fingers because I ran through life like I was Dionne Warwick on a movie set singing, "What's it all about, Alfie? Is it just for the moment we live?" Correction: I wrote that last sentence in the past tense but I still do that---continually ask myself what my life is all about only now I add: Did I hit all the benchmarks that a human is supposed to do while here on earth?

I’ve taken two into my eighties this month with my birthday and I’m still here, but I’m running out of time. I need to focus on who I am now. None of us can turn a pig’s ear into a silk purse but I’ll bet if I try I can make the 2.0 version of myself into something as weirdly novel as a purse made out of a pig’s ear. Yes, I know a pig’s ear purse in a world with a growing vegan population might be offensive but in order to end this essay I have to tie it back to the beginning---that's a writing rule I rarely ever break---so I’m stuck with that proverb. 

But I’ll leave you with something else the fitness trainer (Joelle Leggs) wrote that made me smile and I hope it does the same for you: “Don’t half-ass anything. Whatever you do use your full ass.”  ©

39 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Hopefully you can approach it as a great adventure. Good luck! We're rooting for you. ❤️
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. First I need to decide if I'm trying to do too much or not enough. lol

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Jean! Don't they seem to roll around faster and faster? I'll bet time really does fly now that you're at the ccc. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I sure hope they celebrate birthdays there!

    This post has me thinking. I have to confess I miss parts of the old me, too. Some days I miss the endless energy I used to have, and I long for those pain-free days/months/years! I sure do miss the loved ones who have passed. I miss the "old America" too. On the other hand, if I had the chance to go back to my younger days, I'd probably stay right here where I am (complete with silver hair, age spots and noisy knees). One thing about aging--most of us learn to cope with whatever we're given. Good and bad.

    BTW, this old farmgirl loves that picture of the pig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a cute pig! Yes, you get plenty of birthday celebration here. We have big screens in the public areas that announce birthdays so every were you go you get sung too and birthday cards appear on your door. You also get a free dessert. This year I got invited to share a party with another women whose birthday was the day after mine. I was the only one there who isn't in the line dancing class. I play and laugh my guts out with the woman who threw the party for her roommate is how I happened to get included, I think.

      Delete
  3. Part of that/our angst comes from that constant push in America that We Can Do Anything! That quickly evolved into No Matter What You Do, You Aren't Doing Enough. Hell, even AARP is constantly harping on everyone who is retired to get a second career.

    When I retired from a very demanding teaching career in a diverse urban high school, so many people kept saying, "I can't wait to see what you do next!" or "Now what will you do?" Um, hello, I AM RETIRED. I AM NOT GOING TO DO A BLESSED THING. I worked my head (and brain) off for 30+ years Just So That I Could STOP WORKING.

    Anything I do now is a pastime, a hobby, and it's not A Big Deal. Been there, done that, and now I get to Do Me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you wrote in the first paragraph is so true. All my life I've felt the pressure to do more, be more. My mom especially pushed me into that mindset early on. And fortunately (or unfortunately) I had/have a lot of skills so there's always been something else to try but my energy level can no longer keep up.

      Enjoy doing you!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I feel as if I am just killing time until something kills me. That sounds so negative. I just have to enjoy and celebrate the good in my life. Some days that is easier said than done. You did get me to smile with your last quote, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get into that same hole sometimes of thinking I'm just killing time until I die. Then I have to work at changing that attitude and it does work for long periods of time. Then one little thing or another comes along and puts met back in the hole again. I've learned to accept the ebb and flow of it being part of my age.

      Delete
  5. Love that last line. I'll try to abide, mine is big enough! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I'm back and sad that I missed so many of your posts. I'll try to catch up! For now, starting here and relating to you speaking of "old" you who you miss. I think about former versions of myself too -- some of her I miss, some of her I do not. Focusing now on just present moment me and pretty much liking her most of the time. So that's good. I know several women friends who have turned 80 this year -- smart, funny, vibrant women, all. Inspiring! Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point. There are versions of myself I don't miss either. Welcome back.

      Delete
  7. I'm with Nance all the way!!!! Started working in my dad's store on weekends when I was 11 and I've had some sort of job or jobs until I retired in 2019. I was also a wife, mother, caregiver. I am extremely fortunate to be able to say that this is my time now and I'll do what I please without any thought to needing to be better or more.
    I am enough.
    I have done enough.
    So have you, Jean. Happy birthday!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the best life and someday I'm coming up there to steal your dog. I wish yours and Nance's attitude would rub off on me. I'll work on it.

      Delete
  8. I had this conversation with Rick last night. We never got to the 2.0 version -- but how I miss the old me, that I feel like a disappointment to everyone,less able to keep up. And yet, as you bring this up, I look at the me of now who paints (not tap dances), writes her own thing (not edit others' work), who cooks interesting food (and not just -- although sometimes -- things from a box), who looks at life with a far more honest view (versus impossible dreamer), and I realize maybe 2.0 isn't half bad. And I still have enough of the original that she isn't lost. And on that note, I need to go out and full-ass my garage cleaning project, which flies in the face of my usual half-assing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because you're into so many crafts I'm thinking you can more closely understand my feeling of wanting to do more, of never achieving my highest level of creativity. You have such an interesting life story and current life style, you would never be a disappointment to anyone!

      Delete
  9. I'm fortunate I guess that I've never been a Type A person who feels I must do. it. all. On the other hand when I do things I do my best, nothing half-assed. Somehow I found my way along the way so my previous versions don't seem as far off from the current one... that is subject to change at any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you hit one something when you mention the Type A personality. That's hard to break out of and I'm really sure that I need to or want to. I'm not a half-ased person either. If I decide to do something I'll be all in.

      Delete
  10. Birthdays are special as to have means one is alive and the more we have the more we change and grow hopefully for the better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're getting more and more philosophical with each one, too.

      Delete
  11. Very thoughtful post showing it’s good to ramble. I don’t really miss the old me, other than I certainly looked better and had more energy. But I like the person I’ve become much better, as I’m more confident and self assured than I’ve ever been, thanks, indirectly, to a controlling type A husband (he wasn’t all bad), who has been gone now for 10 years. Sorry, it’s just the truth.
    I have never felt this urge to find a purpose or keep busy everyday. I have a few friends and some hobbies I really enjoy and a home I love being in. That’s enough for me. I have no children, which was never a regret. I feel free as a bird.
    I am killing time…we all are, but I try to kill it in an enjoyable way. The only two things that bother me are occasional loneliness and the somewhat dread of the finality of death. But all in all, I have a good life. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't ask for more than to be able to say you have a good life. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  12. One of the best responses to the "you can do it all" silliness that was abroad in the land a couple of decades ago came from Simone de Beauvoir, or someone of her ilk. In any event, the remark was, "You can do it all. You just can't do it all at the same time." Thinking over my years, I can discern seven or eight different 'lifetimes' -- and I was a different person in every one. Today, all those lifetimes have brought me to where I am, and I'm relatively content. I have no desire to go back. Sometimes I feel a bit of envy when I consider the money or the families that others have, but on the other hand, I have a kind of freedom and independence that others sometimes envy. So it goes.

    It did occur to me as I was thinking about all this that I do have a kind of mantra I live by now: "Less thinking, more living." Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several reincarnations too, when I was entirely different as well: The growing years, the searching for a life partner years, The post finding him years. Then the caregiving years followed by the early widowhood years leading to the now time. I miss parts of me but not enough to want to go back and start over or semi-over.

      Delete
  13. I enjoy my memories of Version 1.0. Need to take more B-12 for energy to do more in Version 2.0. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rambling does a nice job of getting you to a relevant post for a lot of us. There's just no getting around reality, and I roll with it most of the time, but I'm right there with all of you who miss the self who could physically do anything she wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the part I'd like back the most, if a magic wand could bring my health back.

      This month they is going to be another painting class here at the CCC and I'm signed up for it. We'll be doing another landscape---my least favorite thing to do---but at least I'll have paints in my brushes.

      Delete
  15. I use my Full Ass for everything so Joelle would be Proud of me. *winks* Ah, Yes, to wonder if we've moved in Purpose thru Life and especially nearing the ending of it where we know there's more behind us than we will have in front of us, is the lingering Question? That said, I find the Present Me is a lot more comfortable in my own Skin and Liberated all the more for having attained Old Age, I like this version best, even tho' the Packaging of it is looking pretty Busted, as the Teens say. *LOL* We got a free Liter of Soda at the Pizza Parlor the other day since The Daughter made the Young Man working there Laugh his Ass off while he overheard a conversation she and I were having. A Pretty Young Thing was just leaving with her Pizzas... The Daughter said, "She was so Cute. I remember when I used to be Cute like that, before I started looking all Busted...", and then she Laughed, I Laughed and the Kid behind the Counter began Laughing in spite of himself and gave us the Free Liter, Bless him. I think he appreciated her self-deprecating Humor... you do have to look at yourself thru a Lens that can handle what Father Time and Life just has done... I say, Keep trying to Age Disgracefully and you'll End Life Well my Friend and not give a Rat's Ass what anyone else thinks about it. As for World Peace and ending Toxic Politics... if Natural Selection had it's way, perhaps both could be attained? *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aging disgracefully. Now that I have down pat! Love your pizza parlor story.

      Delete
  16. Great post today, Jean. I'm vegan and wasn't disturbed by the reference to a sow's ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat nearly as much meat as I used to but I still crave it from time to time. I do feel guilty about eating beef and pork. It doesn't help the cause that lettuce often make me sick. Or rather the preservatives they put on lettuce.

      Delete
  17. I love the 2.0 version of oneself idea! Looking forward to your "update".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a cool way to look at it isn't it. Is suggests an improved version.

      Delete
  18. Happy Belated Birthday Jean seems like you are same age as my mom & I never knew moms also wonders I thought mom knows & has all answers of life.
    I feel as we are getting old, we learn & grow from our experience in life, I feel one learns the most when they are going through bad times in life. Since for me I started thinking & asking myself who am I & whats the purpose of my life, after my stroke, before that I was just going through life just doing what needs to be done to settle in complete new country with new husband.

    I feel I have this very good quality in me that I never want to go back to my old self, I had fun in my childhood then in college years then getting married & starting new life in new country with guy I married after meeting only 2 times & then staying apart for a year to be immigrated to new country & start to build new life together, it was all so exciting & fast paced luckily stroke gave me opportunity to stay home & raise our son well, which I did. point I am trying to make I am always go with flow personality. I always had fun in all stages of my life, only difference in my version 2.0 where I know up-close & personal nothing lasts forever, good times or bad times, just keep enjoying your present moment with best of your ability without any attachments or expectations, which is hard and one of lesson of bhagvad Geeta. "Do your karma without any attachments or expectations of the results. whatever comes in your way accept as God's prasad,(gift or grace). hardest lesson to learn but I am work in progress & looking forward to getting old.
    Cheers,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each of us have unique histories and I've always enjoyed hearing about yours. When our paths crossed you were struggling to accept the results of your stroke and I watched you turn that around to become a mother, wife and woman you can be very proud of today. Just as you once took advice from me I will try my best to take advice from you.

      Delete
  19. I, too, liked Delaine 1.0 and even dkzody 2.0, but now I'm working on delaine 3.0, or maybe 7.0 since I turned 70. Fine tuning the remnants of that girl of long ago who could do anything with great confidence with the knowledge that even if it failed, I could try again because I had all the time in the world. The 3.0 version is scuttling a lot of trivial that makes me tired and sluggish. I need all the speed and power to do the things I really love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.