Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Facebook Shorts and Homeless People

Last week I got hooked on Facebook's Reels and Short Videos. If you’ve never viewed them they are like Ticktock where people from all over the world upload minute-long videos of just about anything you could name and they are shown in random order. If you click ‘like’ on any one of them an algorithm shows you more Shorts with the same hash-tags. And if you really like one of the videos you can ‘follow’ the person who put it on and Facebook will show you every new posting they upload. In no time at all I got caught up in them and before I knew it was two hours later and all I’d done all morning was drink coffee and take my blood pressure pills. 

Some might say it was a waste of time but where else can you see young guys tap dancing or learn how to carve a small block of wood into a cage with a ball inside or how to properly tie the strings on your sweat pants? The algorithm also shows me people in third world countries building things with next to nothing for tools and you’ll have to admit having that kind of knowledge tucked away in my brain could come in handy should the apocalypse ever come. I also get my share of sweetness and laughter in the form of kittens and puppies.

The second day I watched The Shorts, they turned me sniveling puddle of emotions that came after seeing twenty or so videos of several groups of young people living in different cities who go around giving out food, supplies and cash to homeless people. A deeper dive into what was going on brought me the story of how these twenty-something kids raise the money through an online app in exchange for uploading videos of them giving the money away. When one of the young guys approaches someone homeless he asks them if they need anything. Usually the homeless ask for food and then the young guy would say, “We’ll get you that but is there anything else you need?” The street people often mention gloves, blankets, shoes, socks or food for their dog or cat. One guy asked for a night in a hotel so he could get clean and another guy, who was trying to fix his rickety old bike, got a brand new bike and bag of food when all he asked for was a hamburger. A sweet old man said all he needed was someone to talk to and another wanted to borrow a phone to call his son.

It wasn’t just the meager and depressing way these people were living that got to me but rather how these videos humanized the homeless in a compassionate and respectful way. Many of them were holding back tears at the kindness shown them and as dirty and as ragged as these people looked one of young guys would always ask at the end, “Can I give you one more thing? Can I give you a hug or handshake? Your choice?” If I had a son doing what these young people are doing I’d be proud.

I did have a husband who was comfortable interacting with street people in a way I never was. We’d often come across them dumpster diving when we’d be out snowplowing parking lots in the middle of the night. They had their routes and we had ours. If it was a particularly cold night Don would offer to let them in his truck to warm up for awhile and I’m ashamed to admit I didn’t like his doing that. Where I saw danger, Don saw the human being beneath the hard luck. He wasn’t a religious guy by any stretch of the imagination but Don did believe in the proverb, “But for the grace of God it could be you or me.” 

I did have a favorite street person, however. Don and I took a trip to Texas in '90s, traveling around the state in a John Steinbeck kind of vacation, hitting all the back roads and small towns and that's where we met an elderly woman named Miriam. We were walking our dog late at night and she was picking through people’s trash along the street and obviously hadn’t had a bath in a long time, a fact that made her an instant best friend to our dog and she was crazy about him as well as being just plain crazy. We got a lot of mileage out of retelling the highlights of that trip including Miriam liking us enough to share her Rule for Living: “Never, ever buy food,” she said with great fanfare. “People throw out enough to feed an army!” That ‘never, ever buy food’ would get repeated for years to come as Don and I would be walking into a grocery store.

When I was viewing The Shorts of the homeless I couldn’t help wondering how many of those people are mental ill and couldn’t hold down a job if ten jumped into their laps. Mental illness among the homeless didn’t scare Don the way it did me but he wasn’t above using the homeless to scare a couple of cocking teenage boys we had working for us one summer. They didn’t see the need stay in school and get an education. So one day Don took the boys downtown, parked the truck in full view of the line of homeless guys outside a mission and he left the boys there while he went inside to drop off a donation check. Don had a gift for gab and he didn’t come back out right away, giving the boys plenty of time to get nervous. They'd never been in that seedy part of town before and what followed on the way back to the suburbs was a not-so-subtle lecture on the important of getting an education. 

Living into my eighties has both a strangeness to it and a familiarity to it. No matter what new things comes along they seem to relate back to something from my past like watching those The Shorts brought back memories of me tap dancing, of my dad building things and Miriam's Rule for Living. 

But there is also uncharted territory in my eighties, of wanting to connect with others but being afraid to get to know them on a deeper level because in continuum care complexes like I live in no one moves for the same reasons we’ve lost neighbors or friends in the past. People here leave when their health deteriorates and they step down to a more intense level of care or they die. One of my favorite residents here moved to a Hospice room in another building recently and a parade of people have been going down to visit him, walking back and forth in front of my window with his future widow. At dinner last night my table mate said, “I wish I’d gotten to know him better” and I thought---but didn’t say out loud---I wish hadn’t gotten to know him. It makes the loss that much harder.

Uncharted territory or not, one thing I do know for sure is that no matter what happens to my mental or physical health or my bank account living in a continuum care complex makes the odds of me ever living on the streets next to zero and I am grateful for that. © 




38 comments:

  1. I have never seen anyone tie their sweats like that. Why, I wonder?

    Portland has an enormous homeless population. I think I'd find a way to Maui if I were going to be homeless. Better weather for sure. Lots of aging hippies willing to help provide for you. I started making a gallon ziplock bag to hand out ... deodorant, tooth brush and paste, bottle of water, deck of cards. Pack of matches. Facial cleansing cloths and butt wipes as well and a $7 gift card to Subway or McDonalds or Starbucks.

    I now deliver food to clients for the Food Pantry. It's been fun meeting these voices I've worked with for the past 18 month. After just two weeks, I ran into a bad apple who I think is taking advantage of our services. She lives about 3 suburbs over from the pantry and it was a slow, laborious 30 minute drive. The apt complex had 15 buildings that weren't in chronological order! Tiny little parking lots packed to the brim. Just as I dropped off her three bags of items, she pulls up in a pretty new car. I'm voting no more delivery service to her. No handicap plaque in her car. Her daughter and grandson live with her and they are all obese. My thoughts were pretty judgmental!

    As food costs go up and up, our clientele is doubling every 3 months. Can't keep that up without a lot more fundraising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way those ties on sweat pants work. I've been stuck in them before because of getting knots in the ties.

      It's hard not to judge. But we can't let the potential fakers sour us from helping others. Obesity in itself is not a sign---lots of causes that have nothing to do with over eating.

      Our Red Hat chapter used to pack gently used purses with things to hand out to homeless women, It surprising the kind of little dollar store items that can help a person.

      Every time I go to the grocery store I am shocked at the costs. Food pantries are feeling the crunch, I'm sure. Here, there is a woman collecting our grocery bags for a pantry. Cities need to do more to allow low cost housing---like the old boarding homes with shared kitchens or the tiny home communities some places are building for unemployed people.

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of Facebook Shorts. I can imagine time would slip past very quickly . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sure understand getting lost watching FB shorts. There's so much out there and most of us are curious enough to want to see how other people live. I loved reading about the twenty young people who reached out in kindness to the homeless. What I find interesting is most of us feel sorry for the homeless, but many of them prefer they're way of life--sort of like Miriam preferring to shop in trashcans rather than going to the store. I got tickled over her advice, "Never buy food!" Heck, she might have been a millionaire when you consider all the money she saved.

    As we grow older, connecting with others means facing the fact that the end of life draws nearer for all of us. Yesterday, I found out that a special old friend lost his battle to cancer. He and his wife were our former neighbors and dear friends. It's hard to face loss. It changes everything. But most of us really do need to try to connect with others and help one another through this life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The young adult generation as a whole are much more serious and giving than my generation was. I don't recall ever have student activities except those against the War. Following this guys restore my faith in futures, seeing them balance out the kids who do things like drop rocks off over passes on to cars and other stuff that.

      We found out the next day that Miriam lived in a hoarder situation and was the richest woman in that tine town. Every so offend she's check herself into a hospital. She was schizophrenic and when it got back under control she'd check herself back out again. The town's people all looked out for her. It was a town too small for a stop light.

      Delete
    2. Jean, thanks for sharing that information about Miriam--it warmed my heart to hear that her small community watched out for her.

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful and thought provoking post, Jean, and one I hope you share in whatever way you can. It touches a lot of things in me. Our Greg has had compassion for the homeless ever since he was a kid, when he gave his pocket money to a homeless guy on the street of Toronto (he was about 11 or 12 at the time) and asked "Is that enough?" Your Don sounds like that -- what a good man and a wise one. I love what you shared about the young people who were helping -- and then the second question -- what else do you need or want? Wow.

    I understand what you mean about knowing people and then they leave. It's so hard to let go of good people. But I also believe everyone comes into our lives for a reason -- to bring joy, provide a lesson, re-center us -- so many reasons. And we don't always know till we let them in -- not just to the hallway but into the house. I had that feeling after visiting the estate sale of a man whom I actually knew (his daughter was a friend) and liked -- and wished (as I saw his book collection) that I'd sought him out for good conversation while he was still alive. On some things, we don't get do-overs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Greg sounds like his compassion is deep seated. There was a 4-5 year old in one video going around with her father. he'd hand her a bag of food and she'd stand by a tent door and yell, "Supper!, does anyone want supper?" First of all for the father to be so trusting of the homeless that they would be kind to her and second for the lesson he is teaching her and third the homeless was all smiles at seeing such a cutie pie up close and they were kind and polite to her. Really touched me.

      Ya, I bounce between the two ideas in your last paragraph. Sometimes I want to let people into and other times I don't and I'm not really sure when it started but I think when Don had his stroke and I started working at an online support site. Inside I think we all know our limitations and when we've got something left over for others and when we need to mind our own problems.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post, Jean. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me happy when I know you've read one of my posts.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Makes me happy when I see your posts in my Inbox!

      Delete
  6. I'm going to look into Facebook shorts. I always remind myself "There but for the grace of God go I" when I see the unhoused because it's so true, but I'm also aware that not everyone is safe and, more specifically in helping others, how often it is that "No good deed goes unpunished". Consequently, I'm in a state of constant worry about my daughter who runs an organization devoted to aiding the unhoused. She was voted CNN's 2022 Hero of the Year and my worry is not without basis, as she's been verbally abused more than a few times by those she and her team are out there helping, and once/twice physically attacked. Your Don was brave. I'd have jumped out of the truck and walked home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the do-good videos I've seen are carefully edited because, like you said, the homeless aren't all nice or appreciative. That's quite the accomplishment to be names CNN's Hero of the year. Can you imagine how many others were nominated? I've worry too, but she's still got to make you very proud

      Delete
    2. I gave you the wrong year. She was CNN 2021 Hero of the Year. Time flies when a mom is worried out her mind. I don't like to use that word "proud". I always say I'm happy if my kids are happy in doing what they do.

      Delete
    3. I get that. It's one thing to say you are proud of yourself but quite another to say you are proud of someone else's accomplishments. Still, as a mother I'm sure you contributed to your kid's successes in life.

      Delete
  7. I also enjoy the shorts and reels and can easily lose track of time when doing so

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the interesting! So many cool things to learn or laugh at.

      Delete
  8. Did Street Ministry for Years to Homeless and other marginalized Citizens. Most are Grateful and don't ask for much even though their need is great. Those with Animals treat them better than most Pet owners would and put the Animals needs before their own. I Love 💕 what those Young People are doing...Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of restores your faith in young people to see them not just going through the mechanics of giving to the needy but to be so respectful as they did it. There are also videos of a veterinary who goes around to treat pets of the homeless and they were grateful. That vet is amazing.

      Delete
  9. I used to watch Shorts on YouTube and easily lose track of time in the mornings. The same type of videos can be seen there. I've had to eliminate that habit and save it for later in the day or I'll never get off the couch to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I've started watching them when I'm ready for an appointment and only have a half hour AND I set two timers so I don't missing going.

      Delete
  10. Such a powerful post, well said

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your post! I too am hooked on these reels and also have to make myself stop.
    We seem to think alike in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about the blog community...we get to see how others think and find common ground that way. Or at least have a better understanding of why do and say the things we do.

      Delete
  12. Your post brought back memories of our various service projects when I was in school. As early as about 5th or 6th grade, we started going to places like hospitals and nursing homes. We'd read to residents, or take them little treats, or sometimes sing or play instruments. The primary value for us was that we slowly stopped being afraid of those 'bad' places. We didn't know what to say to old or sick people in the beginning, but eventually we started seeing them as 'people' rather than as 'the sick' or 'the old.' It's not always easy, even now, to get past the categorizing, but it's just as valuable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning not to be afraid of old and/or sick people is a valuable life lesson. Who ever spearheaded those projects was helping both the kids and the people they visited. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    2. Ah, shoot. That was me up there!

      Delete
  13. Showing compassion without any judgement is indeed a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. I wish I as better at it but I have to work at the 'without judgment part.

      Delete
  14. I've not seen any of these homeless videos, but am sure they'd depress me to my core. Thank you for watching them and summarizing their impact on you. I know that homelessness is a huge problem in our country. I hope documenting it like these reels did, can be used in some way to help those who need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheap but clean housing that is run by cities or counties is what is needed, like the old boarding houses, in my opinion. Get them off the streets where they have opportunities to get clean and a meal every day and an address to put down on job applications. And a measure of safety.

      Delete
  15. I'm still missing your twice a week posts but you definitely pack a lot into one post! Hubby and I are looking into CCCs and I wrestle with the Hotel California concept of them ("you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to feel the benefits of once a week. I can do a little longer posts and feel more comfortable in the editing process not to be on a time table.

      Are the hotel CCC actual hotels that have been repurposed? We can check out too---and many do to go to summer homes or to warmer places in the winter but we can't sell our unit in the CCC and move out without losing all the money you paid. A woman here who left another CCC to move here, lost the $300,000 she paid into the other place and her kids were furious with her, spending their inheritance to buy into this place. To the best of my knowledge, all CCCs are set up that way.

      Delete
  16. I've been watching the shorts on Facebook, but only briefly. The trouble was, I wasn't clicking to show which ones I liked. So tonight after reading your comments, I watched a few. I love dancing videos, so I gave a thumbs up to some Irish dancers and to some dance classes. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the dancing ones too. Both modern ballroom and tap dancing. I took tap dancing lessons for five years when I was a kid and I love the young, healthy kids who do the modern ballroom dancing. They make me happy. In no time at all the Shorts will show you more dancing.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.