Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Groundhog Day, Trump and Loss

When you’ve been blogging as long as I have you give up all rights to private thoughts. At least it feels that way to me. When I sit down to write I’m often reminded of something Stephen King wrote in one of his non-fiction books: “I’m one of those people who doesn’t really know what he thinks until he writes it down.” That’s me, too. If I had to use just one word to define the process of writing I’d say 'cathartic'. I spill my emotions all over the computer screen, then rearrange them, adding here or there until an emerging topic appears. Blah, blah, blah. I'm pretty sure I've started off a post or two with similar words.

My life sometimes feels like I’m living in a loop like Bill Murray in the movie, Groundhog Day where he wakes up every day with the same monotonous experiences occurring day after day with zero change. For example, I had an appointment with the audiologist recently and she was running 45 minutes late and I was asked if I wanted to reschedule. What's the point for a retiree to reschedule besides making the rest of their day easier? I was already there and wasn’t leaving. She blamed it on the receptionists for double booking her, they blamed it on a patient who had “an emergency” and I’m thinking who has an audiology emergency? So what if her aids got damaged in a bizarre incident involving a grandson and a toilet, get in line! We've all have bizarre incidents with hearing aids like the time our dog used one for chewing gum. The frustration of dealing with the medical community was the groundhog day-like experience, not the actual details of what occurred, if that makes any sense.

Later that same day I made the mistake of watching CNN’s Town Hall with Donald Trump. He doubled down on every false claim he’s ever made like he wrote the script for the Groundhogs Day movie. The election was stolen and the Ukrainian war would be over within 24 hours of him taking office. He bragged about stacking the Supreme Court with the judges who overturned Roe vs Wade then he pledged to pardon most of the people with January sixth insurrection convictions. He called the Capital policeman a murderer who shot the woman who was crawling through the broken door leading to the senate chambers as the Secret Service were leading the vice-president out another door. (What did he want? The angry mob on her heels to get the VP and fulfill their chant of hanging him?). Oh, and Biden ruined the country. The audience of loyal fans applauded repeatedly like they were on an old Oprah episode where she was shouting, “And you get a new car and you get a new car and you get a new car!”

At first I was angry at CNN for giving him the national platform but then I wondered if there isn’t value in reminding people that he hasn’t changed any, that if he wins the primary the whole country will be living like we’re on the movie set of Groundhogs Day. We’ve barely recovered from his first attack on The Rule of Law, morality, civility and ethics in high places, our democracy can't survive a second Trump term. At least by having CNN host his opening bid for the primary---instead of FOX---he got a moderator who tried to call him out on a few of his lies and he in turned called her a "nasty person" for doing it. Supposedly, Trump wants to run a more conventional campaign this time thus the Town Hall on a less controversial network, but all he managed to do is prove you can paint out the stripes on a zebra but it’s still a zebra and he made the new CEO of CNN look like an idiot for allowing Trump to pick the audience.

Change of Topic---or is it? I was going to moan and groan about how boring my life has become but then I’d have to admit that I am solely responsible for what I do each day. Sure, I have appointments to keep like getting my hair cut or going to the audiologist but it’s still my choice not to look like a shaggy, old dog or to keep asking people, “What did you say?” I could stop doing what is expected and start getting drunk and disorderly. But, no, I’ve been behaving myself pretending to be a demure, elderly woman while still being young at heart enough to want to purposely fart in elevators and act like it was the person standing in front of me who did it. And just so you know, I’ve never done that. It was a (bad) figure of speech for wanting to break out of character and do something crazy. 

Another change of topics and aren’t you glad about that. When my writing disintegrates down to telling fart jokes I know it’s time hit the back button or march on forward like it never happened. I’m picking the latter in this case and sharing the fact that my favorite maintenance man died suddenly. We don’t know the details yet but considering he was in his late 40s it was quite a shock. He was such a good guy. He went out of his way to show my brother compassion, stopping by his room whenever he was in his building. He had aspirations of painting, like me, and we always had such great conversations about art when he’d have occasion to work in my apartment.

Here is where I would have liked to have written something philosophic about life and death but our Life Enrichment Director beat me too it in an email so I’m just going to end this blog by quoting her: “Life is full of juxtapositions. Blue sky abuts gray, moments of gladness turn to bewilderment, and in a season of new life, eternal rest occurs. This dichotomy can be difficult to fathom, and certainly this week was no exception to the sometimes unknown and unexplainable circumstances of life. Our hearts mourn for the loss of Mark, and yet, when remembering him, one can’t help but to smile because he exuded joy, warmth, and humor. Sorrow and solace mingle in our memories. ’What is grief if not love persevering?’ I find comfort in that quote, even if it is from a show based on a comic book.”

Until next Wednesday… ©

37 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great thing for her to write! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I try to follow politics and the media, I just get frustrated. It's not that I want to bury my head in the sand, but it really is hard to trust anyone in those high and lofty positions. Personal power and greed seem to motivate many to serve. I know that's nothing new. History tells the stories.

    I'm sorry to hear about Mark's death. So very young. He seemed so kind and I know he will be missed. "Sorrow and solace mingle..." Truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of us here are taking it hard. It doesn't make sense when he worked around literally a couple of hundred old people (between or two campus') that someone so young would go. He had just gotten a promotion and a raise and his family had gone out to dinner to celebrate and he laid down when he got home and died of a massive heart attack. Went really quickly,

      Delete
  3. Oh, Jean, loved this post. And life is kind of like farting in the elevator. I'm not sure about marching on forward like it never happened (as some events deserve reflection so we can learn from them) but I'm all for moving forward and keeping on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bounce between spending too much time in my past accomplishments and planing/day dreaming about my next ones.

      Delete
  4. Your life enrichment director's comment about the juxtapositions of life reminded me of this, from William Blake:

    "Joy and woe are woven fine,
    A clothing for the soul divine,
    Under every grief and pine,
    Runs a joy with silken twine.
    It is right it should be so,
    We were made for joy and woe,
    And when this we rightly know,
    Through the world we safely go."

    Despite all the changes that have come over the years, human experience -- and insight -- stays remarkably the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that. I used to love William Blake (both his art and his poetry) and had forgotten about him. You are so right. Thought centuries have past, the human experience of loss and love are the same.

      Delete
    2. Once again, I failed the "blogger test." That was me with the Blake comment. I'll study harder next time! LOL

      Delete
  5. It sounds like Mark was a perfect fit in his job. And he will be sorely missed.
    I am livid that a certain network gave that old pervert a platform. And I am laughing in glee that their viewership has dropped to local cable station levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am boycotting the network for awhile in protest and it has always been my go to source.

      Delete
  6. It's true that if you feel like you're in a rut, you probably are, and the only one who can get you out of it is you. Sameness gets very comfortable after awhile, but it's not entirely healthful. As you said, we need a little jolt now and then to break ourselves out of boredom lest we become depressed and lose our Joy.

    I'm very grateful that the weather has finally straightened itself out here and I can get out and about with regularity. Gen Z calls it "touching grass." Reconnecting with Nature is one way to break out of the boredom for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking a little road trip this weekend. Not far---60 miles---but considering I only drive 15 miles a week normally it's long enough for me. Sound help break me out of my rut. I love "touching grass." Great phrase.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for summarizing the Trump town hall. I didn't watch it and now I don't have to even watch clips on YouTube. Nothing you wrote about it surprised me, and you might be right that CNN aired it to let those of us not in the cult know what a danger this man remains.
    That quoted piece by the Life Enrichment Director - wow. Sums up a lot of my feelings about death and grief, especially when I was much younger. It was very hard to wrap my head around someone's passing back then, especially as the sun was shining, the trees were leafing out, and life was exuberantly going on.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With every loss I've had in live (my dad, mom and husband) I've always been shocked when down the road I woke up one day and discovered that the rest of the world had gone on without me. Like you said in your last sentence to happen in the spring gives the experience an even a bigger punctuation mark.

      Delete
  8. How nice to leave people sad and yet smiling when one dies. Mark sounds like a great guy!
    I'm in a rut too but like Nance comments - only I can change that. Let's see... where should I start....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to get in a rut when someone or something else controls the times for meals and lectures, etc. Though we're not required to go to any of them.

      Mark's funeral was in town 75 miles away, in a tiny town and those who went said only half the mourners got to sit down. Several hundred people attended and it took over an hour in line just to file past the coffin.

      Delete
  9. Well, you clearly have a stronger stomach than I do to tune in to the Orange Menace blathering on with his usual victimhood. I did see a couple clips afterward and was able to cut them off quickly, as his BS immediately angers me. Best for my BP to stay away. But I do think it's good for folks to know he's still a broken record with no new ideas.

    Sorry about Mark. I'm sure everyone there will be missing him for quite a while. Your Life Enrichment Director's message is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes me angry too and reminds me it's time to donate some money to help stop him. I will not watch him for a full hour again.

      Wasn't that E.D's email well written!

      Delete
  10. To be so well regarded makes his death very poignant. Had the same thing happen locally with our Chief of Police, and I still feel sadness and overwhelm when I think of him being gone in his forties. So unfair.
    CNN is trying to stay more middle of the road (which is downright refreshing) but we're so hooked on inflammatory news, they may not be able to stick with that effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why CNN hosted his opening town hall but they should have never allowed his campaign to hand pick audience. According to what I've read that's not normal for these kinds of events.

      Delete
  11. My life is often stuck in a rut a long and winding rut with high walls making escape difficult, I don't understand politics but who does

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your description of a winding rut with high walls. Not fun to be in one but sometimes it's all we've got.

      Delete
  12. I read your blog although I don't comment. As always, you write from the heart which is why I continue to read.

    I can understand your shock at Mark's sudden death - how tragic that a young man should be taken in his prime - so hard for the family left behind - and when you consider his chances vs the residents - well, life is full of surprises. I learnt of three deaths recently of people who i "know" via the internet (comments on travel blogs) and each death was a shock, particularly the first as that person had commented a day earlier and the next day someone announced the sudden death (I thought it was a tasteless joke at first but it was true). Dust to dust.

    I've also fallen in a rut and know that its only me who can get me out of it. Done it before. Just have to read the news to realise how lucky we are compared to so many others.

    I've used travel as a distraction most recently - gets me away from routine and away from problems at home, but now there's nowhere that I really want to visit - its all meh. I can understand Alexander the Great feeling glum: no more worlds to conquer!

    I need a reason to get out of bed- it used to be researching for travel, renovation, etc. I will find it (so she says!). Please continue your now-weekly blog (I read that post) as I look forward to reading it. ~ Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby! I'm always happy when I see a comment from across the ocean. It helps remind me how small the world really is and how much alike we all are.

      I get bored with my life sometimes but then I kick myself in the butt because there are so many others living through tough times or dealing with deaths of loved ones. Boring can be a blessing.

      Thank you for continuing to seek out my blog to read. It means a lot to me.

      Delete
  13. I'm of the same two minds on CNN -- "How COULD they?" and "Well, that tells me a lot." They did make some mistakes, though -- especially in terms of the audience. I guess time will tell.

    I'm so sorry about Mark. He sounds like a good person, well loved, who made an impact on others. The words of your enrichment director are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used to be a die-hard fan of CNN but I'm keeping an eye on them now, looking for signs that the new CEO is taking them in a direction it shouldn't go.

      Mark was a good guy. It's weird not seeing him walking back and forth in front of my window and in the garage when I'd go by his workshop.

      Delete
  14. Even if from a Show based on a Comic Book, an excellent Quote nonetheless. Sorry to hear of an untimely premature Passing of a Good Man. Sometimes I wonder why Evil Men can be given far more Years on Earth and do so much damage... when, if they hurried up and just Died, so much could be averted in the suffering and atrocities they cause? Another of Life's lingering Mysteries. As for 45's Town Hall, I myself was glad CNN aired it since we need to all SEE what's out there still and not pretend he just quietly went away and is no longer a Threat, or his Fanatic and demented Base, who do Vote and Sycophants in high places do rig the Systems to give themselves to Minority Rule against the Will and Votes of the Majority, so... it is all very concerning to me the direction this Country is taking and how complacent too many are about what the Extremists are carefully calculating and they are NOT complacent about their insidious Agendas, in fact, they seem to be becoming more highly organized and that's very concerning, as they've infiltrated all places by now and are recruiting Cult Members all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make very good points about CNN showing that Town Hall. The way the Republican have their primaries set up he could very well win them with a very low percentage of the votes and people need to pay attention.

      It really is ironic that such a good man died the same time as an evil man like Trump was on full displace. Why couldn't it have been him!

      Delete
  15. It's tough for someone young who was so well-liked. The well-recommended guy we hired to work on our yard last summer was barely 20, owned his own business, and was a hustler. We thought so much of him. When I couldn't reach him, I learned he died in a motorcycle accident. His parents had co-signed for his equipment and were in trouble because of putting their faith in a son who deserved every bit of their faith in him.

    I can't understand the tactic now at CNN. They can't be trying to present a balanced view when they choose Rick Scott to give the opposing view on budget or other issues after interviewing a Dem: they're instead choosing the most controversial as there are certainly reasoned views on the Republican side who could have been chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 years old is way too soon! How do parents work through that kind of a loss?

      CNN must be going after the FOX audience is all I can think of and that's going to lose them a lot of people like me.

      Delete
  16. I, too, came to your conclusion about the value [a term I'm using loosely here] of CNN doing a Town Hall that reminds people that tRump hasn’t changed any. His fans like that of course, but the rest of us sensible people are once again reminded of what an awful person he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why anyone Trump and Biden's ages (which is mine too) wants that kind of responsibly and stress is beyond me. We need some new blood like Cory Booker or Liz Cheney. I keep hoping a dark horse shows up on both sides.

      Delete
  17. I like Jon Stewart's comment about the CNN Trump town hall. "“I learned nothing from this town hall about Trump and his most ardent supporters I haven’t known since 2016. I learned a lot about CNN,”

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was angry at CNN too until I witnessed blatant pro Putin, anti Ukraine postering and a repeat of E. Jean defamation, as well as a reluctance to keep anti abortion activists happy with a federal ban promise. Lots of fodder for his rivals to pick through on future debate stages. And hopefully, an extra $10M in that lady’s pocket! So, I’m happy now. And notice how I never had to name his name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I love that he's going another defamation suit thrown on top of the one already ruled on. And you are right about the town hall giving fodder to the debate stage. I personally think he'll get bogged down by all the law suits and only be running to get donations to his defense fund.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.