Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Party Planning Center

My Alice in Wonderland themed birthday party is coming up on the 16th…well maybe. The RSVPs are coming in slow which is making me nervous. I’ve only invited the six ladies in my Gathering Girls group so if too many have other plans, I’ll have gone through a lot of planning, shopping and worrying all for naught. Of course, I admit to overdoing the shopping portion---note I didn’t say buying portion. It’s overwhelming how much party stuff is actually available for theme parties but when I added up all the stuff I wanted to buy it didn’t make sense to spend so much for such a small party. Shopping was still fun while it lasted and it kept me occupied on a lot of snowy afternoons.

 I did buy tiny glass bottles and tags to hold the potion Alice drank that made her grow smaller. Don’t tell anyone but they’ll be holding pink lemonade. I also bought a package of keys for the hallway of locked doors that Alice faced and when I was doing my homework on why keys were featured on all the party websites I realized I’ve dreamed about that hallway of locked doors often in my life. It’s one of my reoccurring dreams. I attached a key to each save-the-date card and hand delivered most of them at our 3rd Mondays Brunch in March but the ones I had to mail cost $3.50 each. I had ‘sticker shock’ at the post office!

I also bought a deck of cards with cool vintage pictures from the pages of the Alice book. I’ll show you a photo after the party of how I’m using the cards in my centerpiece. In my head the old florist in me designed a dozen centerpieces but I’m ending up with something very campy but simple. I’ll give you one clue: it includes a layer cake from my old dollhouse. That tiny handmade cake cost a fortune back in the day as did the miniature handmade rabbit I’m using from another past collection. Oops, that’s one more clue than I planned on giving. Playing with those old “toys for grownup” made me realize how much fine finger function I’ve lost. Color me sad about that. 

I bought a few other minor décor type things but I’m most proud of coming up with an activity of sorts that didn’t cost me anything but some time putting it together. I made seven tiny scrolls with ‘read me’ tags and each one is a life lesson the Alice in Wonderland book taught us. We can read and discuss them or just consider them part of the décor if we don’t need conversation starters. For example, one of the life lessons is to always follow the white rabbit which the scroll goes on to explain simply means that it’s okay to be curious and even impulsive. If inventors weren’t curious and followed their impulses the world would have missed out on some wonderful things. We each have our own white rabbit in life that can lead us to interesting places. Another life lesson the Alice in Wonderland book taught us is that wandering doesn’t mean we’re lost. There is more than one way to get to our life goals and sometimes if we think we’ve strayed from pursuing those goals it just means we had things we had to learn along the way to our destinations. Like I said, I’ve been having fun thinking up party ideas and dismissing most of them, looking at recipes and menus and settling on simple choices that fit my skill level or lack thereof in the kitchen.

I’ve run into a few snags in my party planning, though. 1) I discovered that with the extra leaf in my table the tablecloth that matches my dishes doesn’t fit; 2) the vast internet doesn’t seem to sell moss green table clothes at a reasonable price; 3) I forgot I downsized my dishes last year and I only have place settings for six now and we are a group of seven; 4) I gave away a 3-tiered party server I could have used to save space and add height to the visual look of my table; 5) ditto on giving away my 8-cup coffee pot; 6) my housecleaning service called to push my cleaning too close to party day for my comfort; 7) because of the cleaning delay I had to reschedule the carpet cleaning service; 8) the weather is preventing my lawn care service from doing a spring cleanup (but I can’t control Mother Nature so I’ve crossed that off my worry list.)

And number nine of that snags that happened to my party planning is the biggest: when I started talking to the Gathering Girls about me having a party I wanted to do it in the middle of the afternoon with just beverages and desserts but I had to change the time to noon because one of the ladies takes care of her grandkids starting at 2:00. Therefore I’m doing more food preparation than I’m comfortable doing. But with my handy lists and battle plan it will all turn out okay and if it doesn’t it will just get chalked up to, “That’s Jean for you, the anti-foodie!” ©


29 comments:

  1. Gee you've had done a lot of really cool work here. All the fretting before a gathering of sorts is something I do each and every time. It always turns out well. You'll be writing in no time of the laughs and fun. As for the table cloth. I had that happen once. I bought coordinating on sale fabric and glued up the ends so they were finished. I put it on the table first. Then my theme one over top. No one knew that I didn't plan it that way, and all complimented the table. So you could buy a cheap plastic one in the color you wish and then put your theme one over top. I hope that can work for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend who does a lot of entertaining in the D.C. area came up with the same tablecloth solution you did but I'd already bought placements by the time I got her email. Hope the idea works for someone else reading this. I did try a cheap plastic one under the placemats and decided I like my bare table better---not as colorful and "themeish" but I'm okay with that. I'll post photos after the party.

      Delete
  2. The tablecloth problem is easily solved! Just buy a cheap larger one in a contrasting print and spread the nicer one on top of it--at an angle, if possible--and it will look beautiful! Even a plastic one will be just fine.

    As far as dishes, don't match them at all! Mix in a few bright-colored plates/saucers from the dollar store (I know--more expense) and you can even give them away as prizes in a Trivia game based upon Alice in Wonderland questions. Or just donate them after the party.

    Love those vintage cards! You and your Girls will have a great time, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I the only person in the world who doesn't know the trick you, Margaret and my best friend suggested for a too small tablecloth?

      Got the dish problem solved by buying a pink flamingo dish for the birthday girl...but there is a good chance one of the ladies won't come anyway so I'll be able to used my antique Fenton for everyone at lunch. I went back and forth between using to bright colors with my green Fenton...I tried yellow, bright pink and blue and all three of those colors together but in the end I reverted back to my default and went to a more elegant and subdued table with some quirky details.

      Delete
    2. P.S. you should have seen the hot pick wine glasses I almost bought. They would have looked great but I have not used my Fenton stemware for decades and it was now or never and I chose now because I still love them as much as the day I bought them.

      Delete
  3. You've had so much fun planning this party and kept your mind busy, which helps get through this dismal weather. I hope your party is as much fun as the planning has been!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had WAY too much fun, I'm surprised I didn't wear out my computer in the process. Saturday's blog I'll tell you about a big time snag that that had me worried and maybe my menu if I gave the guts to publish it.

      Delete
  4. Oh what fun and thoughtfulness in your planning!! I hope most everyone can make it ... and that it’s as fun as I am imagining!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a bridal consultant in the floral industry the planning part was always more fun than the actual doing. It will be fun no matter what because we ladies have fun. With one exception...they are calling for snow that day and ice on my driveway would be a nightmare!!!! I've got a hill.

      Delete
    2. I read and posted from my phone. Now I'm looking on computer and WOW! Just WOW!!! I wanna come! What's on the menu?

      Delete
    3. Nothing too fancy.I'm printing the menu with my Saturday blog.

      Delete
  5. Goodness lady, have you thought of making this a profession. Such wonderful detail. Have a wonderful and fun day. May the snow be at least a day late. I want pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't want a job but if I did party planning would be fun.

      Delete
  6. Well, this sounds like the most fabulous party! I love every single idea -- loads of thought and planning here and all good stuff. Your "snags": 1) Tablecloth -- put another cloth under it and put your favorite over it or angled corner to corner. Bonus -- it will look extra lush. 2) Downsized dishes -- The birthday person should be special! That's why her place setting is different! (Or mix and match) 3) 3-tiered party server: Stack several books -- preferably Alice books but you could probably pick up a few copies at the library. If that's not your thing, print off some of your alice art on computer and wrap boxes you can use individually or stack -- you can get the US Post office boxes for priority mail in different sizes free at the PO 4) Borrow a 8-cup coffee pot 5) housecleaning service -- call them back and say sorry, but you need them when you need them; you are the customer. 6) How bad is the carpet? Really? Will anyone notice?

    The party will be GREAT no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your stack of books idea and wrapping boxes. Already got my plans worked out but your tips are good to file away. I could borrow a coffee pot, I thought about it, but Alice had a tea party so it's more in theme. I could have gotten a substitute to clean on the day I planned---they offered it---but my regular girl is worth waiting for. On the carpet, I get it cleaned every April. It's a very light grey and does need it. These ladies have never been here and may never come back and I like putting my best foot forward. It's just me, how I am.

      I might have to postpone my party as they are talking about a major ice storm here. I'm hoping they are hyping it!

      Delete
  7. Jean:

    You are so amazing and right brain dominant I never enjoy any kind of planning it stresses me out even thinking about it I will plan vacation but only because hubby wants me to plan it I love Alice’s life lessons so beautiful your blog makes me want to read more about Alice in wonderland book I bet party will be fun and successful post pictures of it and happy birthday in advance
    Asha

    Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice in Wonderland is a weird book. But I grew up in an era when it was popular and I didn't really enjoy it as an adult. It just has a lot of things in it that don't make sense and I thought that would make a good party theme.

      Not amazing. Some people are planners, some aren't. My husband couldn't plan his afternoons in the mornings. I have always been a long range planner which has served me well in my wedding consultant days. But I wish, now, I was more spontaneous.

      Delete
  8. Your party sounds like it is going to be a hoot. I hope you get to enjoy it as much as your guests will. And I hope you post some pictures!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post pictures of the table and food, etc. But I have a rule about not posting photos of people I know...unless they are dead or the photos are over 50 years old.

      Delete
  9. What great ideas you have. I know that all will have a great time. I can't wait to see pictures of your decorations. Love me some Alice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid you'll all be very disappointed in the decorations. It's all very "miniature" and symbolic.

      Delete
  10. Wow, it sounds great! Hope the weather cooperates, everyone shows up and you all have a great time...especially you! Happy early birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but I'm probably going to reschedule. They are calling for a "major ice storm" over three days. And I have a driveway hill that is not safe under those conditions.

      Delete
  11. Dear Jean, I so look forward to reading about the party and the "oohs" and "aaahs" that you'll be hearing as your friends see your table and centerpiece and decorations and all that you have done to weave the theme of Alice and her wonderland into the celebration. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to postpone the party due to an ice storm coming but I'm hoping to still get it in this week. This is turning out toe be the longest planning session for a party. Ever! LOL

      Delete
  12. What? A major ice storm? What in the world? Well, at least if there are any little details that still need attending to, you'll have a little extra time. I'm just astonished by the work you've gone to, and the creativity. I love the theme. I've always been a fan of Alice, myself, and it sounds like you've captured so much of the story's fun for your guests. I know it will work out just beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been hyping this storm up all week and warning everyone it could be worse that the one we had a few years ago. I just hope it runs as predicted and I don't have to reschedule the party again. So far, it's all rain and wind with no ice but the temperature is near the freezing mark.

      Delete
  13. Im so far behind in blog reading!!! You're party by now is over and I'm dying to hear how it went. You are amazing!!!! What a cool plan you have and such creative ideas. Can I hire you? Why can't we live in the same town? Hoping it was great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.