Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

The Art and Business of Giving

 


I’m having a hard time getting back into a post-holiday routine. I did manage to go to a lecture on the continuum care campus where I live. Our TV channel that advertises what is happening each day billed the lecture like this: “Time, Talent, Treasures...This is the history of philanthropy in (our city). We are a success story of ordinary citizens and courageous leaders who never stop believing in our community and our future. From our earliest settlers in the nineteenth century until present time, our city has been blessed with a spirit of generosity in vision and action.” I wasn’t particularly interested in going because I’ve heard the speaker more times than I can count when I was a member of the senior hall where I used to live. But I went because it was Monday and I needed human contact after spending the weekend in self-imposed isolation. Sunday I never even got dressed and I don’t feel the least bit guilty about it because I did get the laundry done and I
baked a loaf of poppy-seed bread. Don’t get excited about the bread. It came from a box and I only mixed it up because I had two eggs that I needed to used or risk letting them spoil. Yes, I had them that long.

Surprisingly I came out of the lecture without the cynicism I went into it with. When did I get that way? When did I start letting cynicism cling to my coattails? (And note to self: people don’t wear coattails anymore.) The young woman who gave the lecture is just trying to make a living by giving lectures and walking tours around our city and as I sat there watching her enthusiasm I decided that I’m a wee bit jealous. She’s created a one-of-a-kind career for herself and she’s young and thin and people like her. Me, I’m old and fat and probably an acquired taste and I would have loved being the only person in the city known for doing such and such---anything short of murder and mayhem.

As for the philanthropists she talk about they were the usual suspects…the people who built the hospitals, the library, the art museum. The people who started the Salvation Army and funded the zoo. If we had enough money, we too, could buy our way into the history books. Haven’t most of us dreamed about what we’d do if we won one of the Mega Million lotto jackpots in the news recently? But what struck me the most about our local philanthropists is they didn’t start with silver spoons in their mouths and none of them made their money off the backs of poor, working immigrants that way the titans of railroads, shipping and steel did in the 1800s. The same titans who ended up being known for their philanthropy like Andrew Carnegie. Does anyone even remember how he made his money before he gave 90% of it away to do things like building the Hague Palace of Peace and libraries, universities and colleges all over the world? In a nutshell, he got rich slashing the wages of the U.S. steel workers to undercut steel prices coming from other countries and ended up with 350 million dollars excess in profits to give away in his last 18 years of life, which would be roughly six billion dollars in the 2020s.

After the lecture I walked over to the Memory Care building next door to visit my brother and I brought him some more ink pens. A few weeks ago I bought him a memory jogging guest book for people with dementia and I attached an ink pen to the book with a ribbon. Ever since then when ever I’d visit I’d find that ribbon and pen just about every where but attached to the guest book even though there were other ink pens around. This day I found it attached to his telephone. So far, I’ve brought six ink pens to his room but he only seems to use the one attached to the guest book. I'm not sure if it's a dementia thing or a guy thing. My husband used to have a large collection of ink pens---numbered in the hundreds---but he’d do the same thing of zeroing in on one pen he like using and heaven help the person who used Don’s favorite pen and didn’t put it back on his desk. I preferred using mechanic pencils---still do---so it wasn’t much of a problem for me to leave his pen alone. When I moved here I thought I had brought enough ink pens that I’d never have to buy another as long as I live, but guess what went on my shopping list this week. My brother deserves new ones that you can tell at a glance if they are going to run out of ink.

The next day was our monthly Resident’s Dialogue Meeting otherwise known as Bitch and Pitch Meetings where the same old, same old is usually on the agenda. Except this day the CEO announced that he’s leaving that job to be a fund raiser for our parent company. He’ll be wining and dining the rich folk all over the place trying get them to give corporate donations to keep the lights burning in my little corner of the world. When our sister campus first opened in 1906 it had ten residents who were all retired ministers. Now, our two campus’ have over 450 residents and the single biggest donation to our CCC came from a farmer who donated six million dollars. A farmer! And the moral of that little story is to never underestimate a guy wearing bib overalls and a John Deere baseball hat. ©

29 comments:

  1. And they call farmers 'poor'! LOL If you drive across the mid-west, you'll find acres and acres of farm land surrounding Taj Mahal homes with barns and worker's houses that are far bigger than my 2777 sq. ft. home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This guy's donation came in 1950's before the big corporate farms were common, if I'm not mistaken. But I know what you mean. I've seen them and some are owned by foreign countries. The farmer who gave such a big donation to my CCC also have a similar sized one to a university.

      Delete
    2. Can you hook some of my good friends, who are farmers, up with those great houses? My son in law’s dad lived in a double wide. He died at 53 herding cows. The farm was worth a bunch, but land without a farmer is not a farm šŸ˜€

      Delete
  2. I think getting back into a normal post-holiday routine has been hard, too. Not sure why, but I find myself looking at my calendar and wondering what day it is. The past two days I forced myself to bundle up and get out of the house to walk. I have no idea why it is so hard for me to get motivated to get out the door, because once I'm outside, I really enjoy it.

    It's impressive how your ccc came into existence. Loved the story about the farmer. In my husband's home town, there was an older couple who farmed and the husband and wife worked side by side. Years passed and they didn't have children, so they just kept plodding along until they both died. I remember driving by their little farm. So modest. Painted white clapboard home--no more than 1,000 sq feet, I'm sure. Ramshackle barns. Older vehicles. Well that couple left millions and millions of dollars to be used by surrounding communities. They had the good sense to have their lawyer draw up plans prior to their deaths. Their money has built many senior citizen centers, daycares, and even swimming pools. All I can say is when wealth falls into the hands of generous people, it is a very good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been walking outside more since my brother moved on campus, didn't do it at all last winter so I know what you mean about really enjoying it once you're out there.

      I love your last sentence and the story of the farmer couple in your area who built a legacy that helps so many others.

      Delete
  3. I'm a Favourite Pen person, too. When I was teaching, I used only a certain kind to grade papers, and I bought my own. I guarded them jealously, but it was almost unnecessary among other teachers, who also had their own favourites. I still have certain qualities I look for in pens depending upon what I'm using them for, whether it be journal writing, crossword puzzles, or list-making. And pencils just don't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years I've found ink pen intimidating because I'm such a poor speller and because I'm constantly editing and changing words around until the deadline. I have only one pen I guard and that one has a light in it. I also go more for quantity than quality. I hate searching for something to write with.

      Delete
  4. Well, Bless that Farmer's Heirs forevermore for the generous Donation... or, perhaps he had none so wanted to do something philanthropic and meaningful for others within his Community? It doesn't matter, Givers Gain, the Laws of Reciprocity and all that just Activate. Glad you enjoyed the Lecture, I Admire anyone who can make a Living doing what they really do Well and especially if they Love doing it. When I see very Young Successful folks it makes me quite Impressed with them. Usually meaningful Success, financially at least, comes when folks almost get too Old to properly enjoy it. My Welsh Uncle was enamored with Pens, it might just be a Guy Thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This farmer had no kids and he and his wife built a huge farm with lots of advance farming techniques back in the '50s.

      I do like seeing successful young women like this one build careers out of something quirky like walking around and talking about the history of buildings. She added the senior lecture circuit at the encouragement of my past senior hall director who was also a go-getter.

      Delete
  5. I'm always amazed at the variety of activities you have access to. No one should be bored there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is no need for boredom here. Guilt because you can't do it all, but not boredom. Today I'm going to Mahjong, cardio dance and a Chef lecture but passing on Euchre and Pilates. Got to go to lunch too.

      Delete
  6. You're right about never underestimating a guy in bib overalls. My ex-husband worked at the May Company department store in California when he was in high school. He worked in the men's clothing department and one time a kind of scruffy looking old guy in his 80's wandered through and everyone practically stood at attention. My ex asked who that was and his supervisor said it was Tom May, the son of the founder and a big wig in the store hierarchy. You never would have guessed it by looking at him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to go to the biggest steam engine meet in the world and the wealthy guys walking around there is bib overalls were the rule not the exception. Dressing back to their roots must make a person feel good.

      Delete
  7. I'm not surprised by the farmer's donation. I worked with farmers at the last job I held before I retired and I found them to be frugal, resourceful, and very plugged into their communities especially when it came to donating time and money. Life is a lot harder for farmers these days. The family farm is being replaced by partnerships and amalgamations and corporate farming here in Canada...I believe we are lagging behind the US a bit in this. It takes a lot of money (and technology) to get into farming these days and actually make a living. The farmers I talked to at work mentioned that the farm that sustained their families and their grandparents' families would no longer be enough for their kids to support their families on. Sad. OTOH, there is a movement happening regarding more backyard growing and permaculture farming in suburban neighbourhoods. Everything old is new again. Which I am happy to see!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thing is happening here. More small urban hobby type farmers sourcing to the restaurants too. And large corporate farms gobbling up the family farms that have been in families for generations.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I know! I can't even decide what I want for dinner. How to you decide who to give millions of dollars to?

      Delete
  9. PaperMate 'Profile' pens! Smooth writing, nice thick lines and a little rubbery grip near the point. Pure writing pleasure. Only kind I buy once I used them. But I often draw with a Uni Ball Vision pen. Different purpose and feel.
    I have the highest respect for anyone who gives to their community, and if they do it without pretense I'm even more impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Papermate Profiles are my favorite pens, too. Never used a UniBall Vision.

      Delete
  10. I like the moral of your story and agree it's the unlikely looking ones that are the most generous. As for your quandary: "I'm not sure if it's a dementia thing or a guy thing." I'm going with guy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. šŸ‘šŸ˜Š❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your comment about the steam engine meet. That was big time when I was growing up in Iowa. As a matter of fact, there's still a world class gathering that takes place there, called the Midwest Old Settlers Reunion. I have a friend who's going this year, and if it weren't all the way up in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, I could be tempted. One of my favorite family photos shows some of the folks up in Saskatchewan in the early 1900s posed around a steam-drive sod buster. Eventually, they decided against Canada and came south to live the good life in Minnesota and Iowa.

    In truth, you can take a girl out of Iowa, but you rarely can take all the Iowa out of the girl. As proof, I offer one of my favorite videos.</a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to love the old steam powered tractors---some of those machines are huge---and after my husband died I had to sell is prize 1950s Ford tractor that his father bought brand new. My husband would have loved your video.

      Delete
  13. Did k no it know that history about your CCC. Very interesting. I grew up in a tiny town surrounded by farms. It was well known that some of the farmers were really well off. They worked hard and it wasn’t easy being their kids (I dated one guy was up milking his family’s big herd of cows at 4am daily), but they were well respected and well off. Still, that is a HUGE donation.

    I will say again, you are in a great place! And it is so nice that your brother is nearby now.

    Hope Springs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a whole book of the history of this place. Lots of high roller donations to build it over the past century. I suspect one of the high rollers owns the apartment across the hall. I've only seen him once and he's rumored to have apartments in CCC in three or four places. We just merged with another CCC that operates in two other states so that unknown is freaking us all out.

      I dated a guy whose family had a huge dairy farm too! South of town. Same thing up at 4:00 so dates were over early. LoL

      Delete
  14. I love the "unexpected donor" concept. Rick had a next door neighbor, Corbin, a crusty old guy who hated dandelions so much he'd pull them out of the yard across the street so the seeds wouldn't blow over. As far as we could see, he only had one or two pair of pants, a battered jacket and old shirts. (When Rick bought Corbin' duplex years later, it was literally held together by duct tape.) One evening Corbin came to dinner. It was around the time of the tsunami in Thailand and we were talking about it and Corbin said something like "Yeah, they needed money so I sent them some." Well, we found out later that it was not only a substantial donation -- he also paid for a new roof on the school in the UP town eventually moved to because "they couldn't have that leaking up there." You just never know. (Can you order pens in bulk from Uline or Amazon?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting character! Like you said, you just never know...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.