Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

This is the End, my Friend

It's over. The internment of my brother’s ashes took place today and as I left the cemetery I nabbed two long-stemmed yellow roses out of the family floral arrangement that was brought over from the funeral home. It was a beautiful arrangement of mostly orange gerbera daisies and yellow roses and it bothers me, as a person who was in the floral industry for twenty years, that I can't remember what other flowers were in that arrangement. While we were getting ready to go our separate ways it also bothered me to leave that gorgeous bouquet behind but I resisted taking any more flowers, knowing that they were supposed to go on top of the bare dirt left behind after the sexton buried the box of ashes that he was waiting in the wings to do, after we all left. My youngest niece at the same time I was fight the impulse to take more flowers, finally broke down in heart-wrenching tears as she kept feeling her dad's box of ashes, saying over and over again that she didn't want to leave him there. If nothing else my twisted need for those yellow roses put me in the right place at the right time to be of some comfort. She'd kept her emotions in check far too long and I knew exactly how she felt, given the fact that I Johnny Appleseeded Don's ashes over seven places, places that didn't seem as final as a cemetery.

I should backtrack to the service. As I was getting ready to leave this morning I got a call from my youngest niece. She wanted to give me a heads up that the service would be "more religious" than I might like. My brother was never a member of a church and while he and I had "that talk" a few months back I can't honesty say I know one way or another if he would have been put off by phrases like "Jesus was waiting with open arms" the way I would be if I knew Jesus was invited to my memorial service. But as I told my niece, half his grand-kids are super religious so the songs and prayers will comfort half the people there. All in all, it was a nice, well-balanced service with something for everyone. There was also a great slide show with 84 photos for his 84 years on earth and a touching and often funny eulogy written and delivered by my brother’s oldest grand-daughter. She does a lot of public speaking and teaches writing classes so she was a pro. As I listened I couldn't help admiring her vocabulary, it made me feel like I write in me-Jane-you-Tarzan mode.

The only thing that bothered me about the entire event was that my brother's first wife wasn't in a single photo in the slide show. They were married 19 years and it didn't seem right to erase her from my brother's history like she never existed. When I asked my oldest niece about it---she put the slide show together---she joked that two women were enough for any guy. "His second wife and girlfriend (who came after) were enough." I shouldn't have even asked, but questioning that editorial decision was my worst transgression of the day. At least I think so. I hope so. I did made a point of not getting too clingy with any of my brother's kids, knowing they had a connection to everyone single person who came and who also wanted a piece of them. But if I had had my dream seating arrangement for the service, I would had sat on my nephew lap, folded in one of his bear hugs while being flanked on the sides by my two nieces who would have each been holding one of my hands. Wouldn't that have been a sight to see? People read all kinds of gossipy things into the order in which immediate family members sit at memorial services and my dream scene would have said the little sister inside of me was feeling needy.

I didn't speak up when the minister asked if anyone had a story to share, but I wanted to. If I had I would have started out saying, "Jerry was my older brother, my only sibling and he was both my protector and my tormentor" then go on from there to recount some cute stories from our youth, but I didn't trust this geriatric shell I live in to get the words out of my mouth in the right order. And I often have to remind myself when I share anecdotes that it isn't about me. I worry sometimes that others think I'm trying to steal a spotlight when all I'm trying to do is show empathy...and that's what I call my 'Me Too' defense. When I catch myself doing it, I remind myself that a tat doesn't always have to come on the heels of a tit. Sometimes we just have to listen to show empathy and concern.

There was a funny story told at the cemetery and it’s a good example of my brother's character and sense of humor. His second wife had a framed, pastel painting of her two sons when they are really young. It was rather large and the boys had super yellow hair that---knowing the nature of pastel chalk---I imagine that hair probably glowed in the dark. She loved that painting but neither of my step-nephews wanted it after she died. So my brother bribed the oldest and his wife by telling them to hang it in their living room and he would pay for their son's college. "But if you take it down, the college money will disappear." At the cemetery the oldest said he kept his word about hanging the painting but the day his son graduated from college, it came down and its been under their bed ever since. At the cemetery he was trying to get his younger brother to take it home to Colorado with him. 

The biggest laugh that came during the eulogy was about the "yellow haired boys" that dominated my brother's living room decor in the '80s. I don't know what made my brother place strings on that painting but it sounded just like something I would do if I had his resources and wanted to keep something in the family for another generation or two. I hope my great-niece, who finally spoke up saying she'd take the painting, writes its history and attaches it to the back. It's too good of a story to get lost with the passing of time. 

Until Next Wednesday... ©

P.S. After Don died I bought a silver locket that is made with a compartment to contain ashes, a photo and an engraving and I wore it a lot for the first year after Don passed away and on special occasions now. I highly recommend them as a bereavement memento. Just touching it that first year made me feel closer to Don. The post about the locket can be found here. The post about the places I left his ashes is here.

30 comments:

  1. I'm just so sorry for your big loss. And glad you are close to his kids et al. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was well-loved, which is a blessing. But good-byes are so heart-wrenching. Much love. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't get our ages without knowing the truth in that statement, can we.

      Delete
  3. If an internment of someone's ashes can be called a beautiful occasion, this is it. It sounded all rarely lovely although I think I agree with you his first wife should have been included in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the weather cooperated. It was bright and sunny and warm enough not to need coats.

      Thank you for validating my feelings on the photo. But in the grand scheme of life I suppose it doesn't really matter. Those who knew my brother would have noticed the gape. In fact, one person did ask me about it and I didn't know what to say.

      Delete
  4. What a week you had, Jean. Part of you is probably thankful to have it behind you, and the other part of you wishes your brother was still a stone's throw from you. Life is hard. Death brings so many thoughts and feelings.

    As we've gotten older and faced health issues, my husband and I have talked about our funerals. He always says to do whatever the family wants--but make it easy on the kids and grandkids. I like that idea. I've attended some funerals that were huge productions, and that's okay for some people, but I do like the idea of considering the feelings and needs of those we love most. We haven't done any funeral planning, but we probably should.

    I appreciate this post, Jean. It has made me think. I hope that you and your loved ones do a bit better, every passing day. You have my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      It does help to talk about what kind of funeral/service a person wants. I knew exactly what my husband wanted and he got it. It made it so much easier for me to pull together although I'm sure there were people who didn't like the absence of prayers and religious music or a luncheon after. I didn't have a say in the way my dad's funeral was planned. I let my brother run with it because he'd been so upset about the way my mom's service and ashes were dealt with. I blame my mom for that because she had let my dad and I know her preference but didn't tell him or commit it to writing. So he was shocked that she wanted her ashes scattered to the winds.

      Delete
  5. It's heartwarming that you are so close with your nieces and nephews. That can only help with your grief. That, and the knowledge that you were there for your brother as he acclimated to his new home and surroundings. I'm sure he was grateful for your company and your familiar face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say I'm any closer to my nieces and nephew than most of my peers. But I'm sure grateful they are in my life and I'm super proud to call them family. I took my first walk past his building today and it felt weird knowing he wasn't in there anymore.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like the event wasn't too bad - it's good that you got to see so much family and hopefully share some memories and laughs with them to help comfort you and them.
    I don't want a funeral. I have told my kids that they can have me cremated and scatter my ashes wherever they want - they mention a place where I like to hike - and that's fine with me. They can gather together to tell funny stories about me but no great wake/funeral event. No thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I go---even now---there aren't going to be enough people who would come to a service for me to bother. So I'm good with just a small, private thing in someone's home or at a restaurant near the cemetery where my ashes will get buried with part of Don's. We have a stone there which was really important to him. I'd like to have some of my ashes also scattered at the lake where I spent my summers but if if doesn't happen, I won't haunt anyone. LoL The only thing I really care about is that someone is there to actually see my part of my ashes get dug into the cemetery plot and that there we a post added to my blog, if I'm still blogging when the time comes and a short notice in the paper. My mom and I were into genealogy too many years not to want that paper trail left behind.

      Delete
    2. If we could come to a service for you, your CCC compatriots would be flabbergasted. We wouldn't tell them how we knew you though. 8>)

      I'm so glad you mentioned your blog and the paper. I have never talked to my son about those details and I think they matter! Thank you.

      Delete
    3. Think we've all wondered about a blogger friend when they disappear. In many ways we know each other better than we know the people we see in our off line lives.

      Delete
  7. KatheR in RaleighMay 1, 2024 at 11:58 AM

    I echo the comforting words so well-written above.
    I want to add that though I'm not into genealogy, I agree with having even a short obituary in the paper (and it goes online.) It's how we discover - and can mourn - the passing of friends and even family we are no longer in touch with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and those of Obituaries stay online for years. I even look up my mom's when I've forgotten some detail. Or old friends when I wonder if they are still alive.

      Delete
  8. My condolences on your loss. I'm glad the service went as well as it did and that it is now behind you. I did laugh out loud on this line: "People read all kinds of gossipy things into the order in which immediate family members sit at memorial services." Oh there's truth in that one. You have to wonder why anyone would care, but they do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would seem that as these things go, this wasn't too bad. Always sad, that finality. But a little bit of something for everyone and most of all, good memories and stories shared. I loved what you wrote. (I think we all have the issue of that being how we share empathy.) I love the story of the framed pastel -- that's wonderful. And the grand niece who did the eulogy sounds like quite a young woman. Sending big hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a nice memorial service and luncheon after. They are hard to plan and I'm glad they had a couple of weeks in between when Jerry died and when the service was. You can put more thought into it and your emotions are so raw.

      Delete
  10. It sounds like your brother had a good send off. It's hard to lose siblings, and especially with only one brother. So sorry...I'm sure it hurts.

    My DH bought me a lovely star necklace a couple years back (based on one of our running jokes) and when it came it had a tiny funnel and screwdriver. Turns out it is for ashes and he had no idea. We laughed about it, but I can see using it if he goes first. There is some comfort in having a bit of the person with you, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is something special about having an ash urn necklace. The one you have is especially perfect for someday maybe, given the funny and touching story behind how you got it.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing. It does sound like a very nice goodbye. My friend did what you did, she "shared" her husband in about eight different places, from the farm he was born, to various other places that had a special place in their hearts. As the one in my family who has/had to plan final arrangements for everyone else, I have everything signed, sealed and delivered for myself and my husband. We will be buried in a little country cemetery which already has our stone with our names spelled correctly (don't ask) and our birthdates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to force myself to stop leaving my husband's ashes in various places. I think I was half afraid of not having access to him when I needed to "talk"....seems naive now but at the time I really didn't want to let go, for it to be finally over. Planning your own final arrangements is a gift you are giving your family. I understand my brother planned a lot of his too,

      Delete
  12. I laughed at your comment that you won't haunt anyone. My mother always told me that if I ever published her photo in my blog, she'd come back to haunt me. After she died, I did post a photo of her, and I haven't experienced anything that would pass as a haunting yet. I really felt for your youngest niece. When we took my mother's ashes to Iowa for burial, I was the one in charge of them, and it was very hard to hand them over.

    I don't know if we'd met when that all happened, but there was a wonderful story associated with the whole thing. The women in my mother's knitting group used some of her yarn to make a bag for the box containing her ashes, and added a small bit of her needlepoint to the ties. Odd as it sounds, having that soft, knitted covering made it feel more like tucking her in -- albeit for eternity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might sound odd at first but I can see where the handmade gift from your knitting group friend was comforting and so thoughtful for her to do. It would soften those plastic boxes in the same way putting the flowers over the bare dirt does. Rituals count.

      Delete
  13. A Tat doesn't have to come on the heels of a Tit made me giggle like an Elementary school Kid Jean. And, since it was a bereavement Post I felt a bit guilty that I'm immediately thinking of a different kind of Tit and my Mind just went there. *Winks* I Love the Story of the Yellow Haired Boys and the conditions attached to that piece of Art, your Brother was clever to attach some special meaning to it that might just keep it in the Family for perpetuity... even beyond paying for a tuition that he might have felt compelled to anyway, but never would have said so. *LOL* I too put my Dad's Ashes somewhere untraditional, The Man kept telling me it was Illegal... I kept saying Dad's Indigenous Status meant he could be put anywhere his Ancestors Land was stolen and he gave me no argument about that. *Smiles* I like that you Johnny Appleseeded Don's Ashes and the Locket is a lovely idea too. The finality of Death never seems right since Energy never Dies, it just Changes Form. Tho' I can't visibly see and touch my departed Friends and Family, their Energy often feels palpable to me. I too often show Empathy in a Me Too way and try to curb it... not in this comment, bwahahaha, but, usually I try to catch myself from a strong urge to do it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people get that " me too" kind of empathy and others don't. All in knowing your audience, I guess. It just took me a while to figure that out. Some of the places I left on to ashes where not legal either. And I Really like the concept of their energy still being all around after somebody dies.

      Delete
  14. Saying goodbye is so damn hard and we cry so damn much and that makes us look ugly and yet we don't care or maybe that is just my weird brain, also when we laugh at a funeral it is our loved one reminding us of the funny times and that life will continue for us for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.