Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Sleepless Nights, Wokeness and Brain Farts


I
woke up at four-thirty to pee and couldn’t fall back to sleep. Don’t you hate when that happens! Everything that I had heard or saw the day before waltzed through my head like it had all the time in the world to linger in the silence. One particular topic was growing like mushrooms in the dark and what was keeping me awake in the wee hours of the morning was spelling and punctuation, of all things. Finally I got up, made myself a cup of Land O Lake French vanilla cocoa and sat down at my computer. Coming up that afternoon was our monthly creative writing group and I had a confrontation to face. Confrontation is not quite the right word, maybe perplexing mystery would better describe the editing one of the guys in group made on the round-robin story we’ve been working on and I had typed up. Situations like that---when writing is involved---make me nervous because I never know when my dyslexia, unbeknownst to me, will or did show up.

I’ll give you an example. The text in one of the segments I wrote for our round-robin read: “All families have their secrets but B.J.’s is safe with me.” He highlighted ‘families’ and he tagged the ‘alright’ in my dialogue, “B.J.? Are you alright?” With all the problems in the world why would something so silly be the thing that drove me out of bed? After a google search I decided, yes, the ‘families’ (vs ‘familys’) was right but a case could be for using either ‘alright’ or ‘all right.' Even after checking and rechecked each highlight on the document I dreaded going to group that afternoon to debate things that trivial. We are setting world records for weather events and mass shootings, we have an x-president under indictment as the front runner going into the primaries and a proxy war between the USA and Russia still rages on in Europe rages. But my subconscious mind apparently can file those things deep enough that they don’t deprive me of sleep. Maybe that’s because no one on campus is talking about that stuff. It’s like it only exists on our television sets. At lunch lately the main topic of conversation has been the high cost of strawberries this season and why did management take the later risers breakfast off the menu. Maybe it’s because talking and worrying about the big things that we can’t resolve on our own makes us all feel hopeless so we focus on the trivial stuff? Or maybe we’re just a group of boring, self-centered old people?

I’m tired of people being confrontational over nothing, though. In book club this week we were discussing Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation by Kristin Kobes du Mez. Everyone with a brain can see how this book could cause some tension in a book club but I didn’t expect to get jumped on for what I thought was a neutral statement of fact. I was one of the first people to speak up and all I said was, “I read a lot of the negative reviews on Amazon. Out of 4,688 reviews 76% gave the book 5 stars and 3% gave it one and two stars.” At that point our resident racist, Trump supporter and devout Catholic jumped in with, “It’s called free speech!” You could have cut her hostility with a knife. She was obviously gunning for us liberals and for the entire hour her only contribution to the the discussion was her chiming in with: “In your opinion” or “in the author’s opinion” with a hostile accent on 'opinion.' At least she showed up. I overheard another Trumpests say she wasn’t going to go to book club anymore because “Some of those people don’t know when to keep their mouths shut.” We are a pretty ‘woke’ group and we don’t usually read fluff which makes for some interesting discussions. It’s one of the highlights of my month when the twelve us meet.

 

Can you believe how quickly one person---namely a certain governor from Florida---can popularize a word like ‘woke’ in such a short time? I guess it’s been around since the mid-1900s and was coined by progressive Black Americans. Trump throws the word around a little as well, but DeSantis is the king of trying to turn it into a dirty word only to be spoken in disgust and something to fight against if you’re an ultra-conservative. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary to be woke means you are “informed, educated and conscious of social injustice and racial inequality.” But governor DeSantis website defines woke as "the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them." His website also says, "We reject woke ideology.” I’m pretty sure most woke people reject him as well.

 

I started writing this post the morning the edited round-robin document kept me from falling back to sleep. That afternoon our creating writing group was meeting and I wasn’t looking forward to going this time. But as it turned out the document I typed up and the guy in group edited---the document that drove me out of bed----not only was it highlighted it had also been corrected under the yellow highlights. So when I looked at the document and saw ‘families’ and ‘alright’ highlighted and couldn’t figure out what was wrong with them it was because there wasn’t anything wrong. It was my dyslexia driven insecurities causing me to freak out. I’ve been used to my husband’s style of editing where he just highlighted mistakes for ME to go back and fix. It took awhile in group for me to finally understand where I was leaking IQ points but I was deeply relieved when I finally did understand the source of my brain farts. 


By the way, our round-robin story is a fun read. We each write in the voice of one of the characters and I'm the oldest sibling in a dysfunctional family. I wish I could share it here but I'd have to ask permission from the other writers and so far no one on this campus knows I blog. We're talking about doing a reading of it in our fireside lobby later this year, though, as a way to get more people involved in our writing group.

 

Until next Wednesday…©

 


 

39 comments:

  1. I'm proud to be woke, thus I find your memes spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, and I've never heard the word used in that way before a couple of months ago...other than to say, "I woke up."

      Delete
  2. I had to chuckle at punctuation and spelling being a cause of your sleeplessness. When I come across things like 'alright' vs. 'all right,' I usually take a look at the Ngram viewer, which shows the frequency of use. Here's what it shows in this instance. It's not a definitive word on right vs. wrong, but it can be helpful in choosing one word over another. It also can be an interesting peek into history, as certain words peak when events bring them to the fore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a quirky website. I played with putting a few different words and wonder how they collect their data. Word definitions and use do change over decades and century and it's fascinating how that happens. In the age of social media we can often see it happening in real time.

      Delete
  3. Sleepless nights. As I've gotten older, my sleep pattern has changed. It seems I wake up often and my brain doesn't always want to quiet down. On the other hand, in the middle of the day, I get so tired that sometimes my bobbing head wakes me before it hits my keyboard. Crazy. However, I think it's pretty normal. I remember my mother struggling to get a good night's rest. Probably part of aging.

    Yep, Jesus was and is woke. When I read about the woman in your book club shouting about freedom of speech, it made me think. Something similar happened during a church business meeting I attended. A lovely older woman just started spouting off about what she thinks is wrong in society. She seemed very angry (sort of like the lady in your book club), and I wondered where that anger was stemming from. This is just a guess, but I think many people are living with a lot of fear and insecurity. I need to be clear that the majority of the group was very open minded, but a couple of our older members were not. Although I still treasure my faith in God, my faith in organized religion has waned...often. Some of us "church folk" need to refresh ourselves on Jesus' example.
    Your round robin sounds like fun. I'll bet lots of the residents would enjoy the fireside reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been recently finding myself in an unintended nap in the afternoon and I never used to do that. Our sleeping habits as we age seem to get closer and closer to how we slept when we were babies.

      In the case of the women in book club and others like her, i would think they'd get tired of defending Trump and his low moral standards. In the book, Jesus and John Wayne it talks about how the Christian Right purposely pumps their followers into fearing something because they can raise money off from the fear of their followers. The book was a hard read but written by a well respected historian of religion, is a professor at a church based university but our resident Trump supporter doesn't believe a word she wrote and I'm pretty sure she didn't even read the book. Even the fact that it has a large section of footnotes to back up stuff the author wrote about, she still discounted the entire book as "opinion"---Even the easily proved things like what Dobson or Farwell wrote for public consumption.

      For those who are curious, here's what Amazon says about it: "Jesus and John Wayne is a sweeping account of the last 75 years of white evangelicalism, showing how American evangelicals have worked for decades to replace the Jesus of the Gospels with an idol of rugged masculinity and Christian nationalism. Evangelical popular culture is teeming with muscular heroes - mythical warriors and rugged soldiers, men like Oliver North, Ronald Reagan, Mel Gibson, and the Duck Dynasty clan, who assert white masculine power in defense of "Christian America." Chief among these evangelical legends is John Wayne, an icon of a lost time when men were uncowed by political correctness, unafraid to tell it like it was, and did what needed to be done."

      Delete
  4. I want a t-shirt with that dictionary definition of Woke printed on it and sourced. It's a perfect definition.

    Your group sounds interesting and fun but yes, fussing on the small stuff -- well, maybe that's better than talking about the world. I really admire you, hanging in there in a communal living place in Grand Rapids, definitely not the wokeist place on earth! (I'd like to read that book!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just check Etsy and they have as many if not more anti-woke t-shirts as positive message woke t-shirts. I would not wear one around here. While between book club and our Tuesday night discussion group formerly known at the Secret Society of Liberal Women we have about 15 of us on campus who would applaud a Woke t-shirt there are a few who'd view the wearer of as an instant enemy. I like too many of people here to want to antagonize them even though I disagree with them on way too many things.

      Delete
    2. I’m in the thick of it. I live in Florida and yes DeSantis is a very dangerous man and disgustingly claims to be so "Christian."
      Religious people(some) seem to live in fear of change, death and those who are different. They've been programmed for years in that philosophy.
      If I was religious and I’m not, I’d believe trump was the anti christ and his cult were the ones that followed the false prophet.
      My sleep pattern is actually pretty decent..maybe it’s because I don’t care if it’s not.
      And I’m very woke..the only way you can be if you value the kind of person you want to be remembered as, in a good way. Mary

      Delete
    3. The white Evanlegists ARE programmed to fear and they actually do view Trump as the anti-Christ that is going to help blow up the world (figuratively speaking) thus helping them get to heaven.

      I would hate living in Florida right now.

      Delete
    4. I thought the anti christ was the devil in the Bible lore. Mary

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I am having a hard time understanding how anyone could think being woke is a bad thing, but this book does shine a light on the whys and how that came about.

      Delete
  6. Kind of off topic, but last week I was at the post office and an older woman (maybe mid to late 80's, I'm 76) approached me and asked if I had been receiving any mail. She was exasperated because she hadn't gotten any for four days. I started to tell her she could go online with USPS and set up their "informed delivery" where they send you a scan of incoming mail so you know what to expect. Before I could even finish she blurted out that she has a friend who owns a business and she told her "the government" is scanning our credit cards and "how are we supposed to pay for things now, just with cash or checks??" This is what we're up against. After I got home (of course) I thought my comeback should have been "The government? You mean Greg Abbott?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be tough to live in the paranoid world creative by ultra-conservatists. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  7. My book group read Jesus and John Wayne a while ago and I have to admit parts of it infuriated me. Not because it's not true, but because it is. The history of the evangelical/political movement was insidious and I didn't know so much of it. Kristin du Mez is simply sharing her research, but I get that people feel threatened by truth in this scenario.

    It's amazing the things we worry about at 4am, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know she's local? one of the retired professors in our book club knows her and offered to bring her here for a lecture. We didn't take her up on the offer because of the backlash it would have probably caused. Although several on staff had read it and was reminding everyone to be respectful when we discussed it.

      Delete
    2. I did...one of our book group members knew of her, I think. I don't know if you have Amazon Prime, but she is in the documentary "Shiny, Happy People" about the Duggars and the ministries established by Bill Gothard. Quite the story there, too.

      Delete
    3. I do have prime and I can just imagine that documentary is an eye opener for many people. I'll check it out. Thanks.

      Delete
    4. I just a few minutes ago finished watching "Shiny, Happy People." I think you'll find it quite interesting, Jean, and quite a bit scary, too.

      Delete
    5. The author touched on the Duggars in the 'Jesus and John Wayne' book. I'm sure I'll like the documentary.

      Delete
  8. You might want to read Woke Racism by John McWhorter. He’s a black liberal and talks about the excesses that are hurting the blacks. I’m a liberal and am not “woke”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the summary of that book and couldn't figure out what excesses that you are talking about. But I'll take your word for it, my to be read list of books is too long as it it.

      Delete
  9. Ok what I know about WOKE is zero bloody nothing the definition of the word has been butchered by so many idiots in the world. American politics confuse me, hell Aussie politics confuse me, I don't have head for such things I don't vote for the same party it depends on many things at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think many people in America really understands what Woke is either, and and it's meaning is still evolving.

      Delete
  10. Sorry for your heat wave and for sleepless nights. And THANKS for blogging. I'm becoming more woke. Book club and writing group are still amazing (and interesting). I don't know how you fit it all in1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't live with an active family like you do. Time is all I've got.

      Delete
  11. This anti-woke BS is just a lot of old white people afraid to get their comeuppance. They don't like to feel uncomfortable and ashamed about the past of white people in America. Now that the country is far more diverse, they're starting to become afraid: what if white people become the minority?

    What they're really worried about is that, as a minority, they'll be treated the way they deny minorities have been treated historically in this country for hundreds of years. Ironic, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Acknowledging history shouldn't be about guilt and fear. It should be about how far we've come and how far we have to go to all be treated fairly regardless of the color of our skin, our sex or sexual orientation. The more willing we are to do that as white people the more willing the sub-cultures now will be to treat whites fairly when and if they out number us in the future.

      Delete
    2. You are exactly correct, Nance…..Mary

      Delete
  12. The opposite of Woke is Asleep. I make no apologies for being Woke and your Memes and sentiment of fellow Woke Citizans are my sentiment too. Oddly I just created a Post this morning about the topic it is scheduled for publishing tomorrow...Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't spell check catch citizens spelled wrong? Lol...Dawn the Bohemian

      Delete
    2. I don't know and I didn't even notice until you pointed it out. LOL

      Delete
  13. I just saw that last meme and I loved it!! I don't know that I could do a round robin writing - I give you kudos. As for that sleeping thing - we are on the same time zone - you should call me. LOL. That just happened to me the other night. I climbed back into my warm bed and listened to Rick's breathing and finally just got up. I grabbed a book and couldn't focus so put on the boob tube. Not much to see at 4:30a :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you could wander out on your deck and watch daylight come, but here my deck is lite up like a Christmas with parking lot lights so it would be like being in a fish bowl. I do miss the dark of night.

      Delete
  14. Great post, and I loved the two quotations at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are so clever aren't they. I love those memes too.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.