Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Visiting Memory Care and Fake Bus Stops


Visiting my brother in the Memory Care building is a crap shoot in many ways. You never know what kind of problem---real or imagined---he will be trying to solve. There are common themes in what I’ve nicknamed his Greatest Dementia Hits. One day a visitor might be pressed into service looking for his TV remote, his billfold or his glasses. On another day the mission might be to distract him from worrying that he has no access to his bank or he doesn't have enough walking around money to suit him. The most heartbreaking of all hasn’t happened as frequently lately but there are way too many times when we’d get to his room and he’d have stuff packed up to go home or he'd be obsessing about building a little cabin out behind one of his kid's house.

Wanting to go home is so common in Memory Care places that ten years ago facilities in Germany came up with the idea of putting fake bus stops in their gardens or at the end of a hallway and it works like a charm to calm the resident down. When one of them wants to go home they’re shown the bus stop and one of two things happens: The residents sitting there forget why they are waiting and will wander back on their own, or someone on staff will tell them the bus is late and would they like to have something to eat while they wait for the next one? I can see that working for my brother when he gets upset and wants to leave his facility. One of the things he talks about is catching a bus downtown to see his lawyer or to go home since, "No one will take me!"

According to another article I read there's a controversy on the world stage about the fake bus stop deception in caring for dementia and Alzheimer's patients. Apparently lying to patients is against a code of ethics in medical circles but places that have the fake bus stops report that they can use far less anxiety drugs with their residents. To me, the proof is in the pudding. If it works with out drugging people, then where is the harm? And I'd like to know if those against the deception really think this is on a par with telling patients they need expensive treatments that they know full well they don't need which I'm guessing is the spirit of the ethical law against lying to patients. 

At the dementia support groups here on campus they tell us sometimes it’s kinder and less stressful for our loved ones to just to play along with whatever false idea our loved ones have. When my brother at first would say he wanted to go home we’d tell him he is home which often upset him even more, but the support group taught me the gentle art of diversion. Now I ask him questions like, “What are you going to do with you get there?” “Which room in the house do you like best?” Eventually (but 100% of the time) this works to change the topic. Other times, depending on his mood, I'll agree that living in a place with little privacy isn't ideal but they are only doing their jobs to keep you safe and "you know you can't live on your own." I'll tell him why this place wins awards and how they pass their state inspections with flying colors and describe some of the conditions in places that don't. He'll listen as if the the truth is ringing a bell in his memory bank. They also tell us in support group that it isn't the house they miss as much as it's the sense of security the word 'home' represents. So our goal is often to make our loved ones feel heard. And who doesn't want to feel heard.

But not all visits to my brother are about his Greatest Dementia Hits. We are the two oldest people left in the family and sometimes we exchange some great memories. For example, at our last visit I was reading his schedule for the next week and saw that Ms Angel (the pastor from my Creative Writing Group) was scheduled for a room visit. 

“You see the pastor on Wednesdays?” I asked and I described what she looks like.

 “She pokes her head in the door and asks if I’d like to talk but I usually tell her no,” he replied.

“If you ever do want to talk about religion or God she’s a good one to do it with. She’s very open-minded and accepting of all views.” I went on to tell my brother I didn’t believe in the whole heaven and hell thing but I do wonder if I’ll have a conversion on my deathbed, I joked.

"You tried to get dad to make one,” he said.

“I did not!”

“Yes, you did!” he insisted. “One day I came to visit him [in Hospice] and I found you two both in a circle of people in front of a guy preaching [about getting right with God].”

A light bulb went off in my head and a twenty-three year old memory was illuminated. Then I explained to my brother that I had been visiting when that preacher came to dad’s room and wanted to know if Dad wanted to go to a church service and he answered, “Yes.” I had no other choice than to take him down the hall to the meeting. The preacher was not the comforting, accepting all-paths-to-God kind like Ms. Angel is and I hated sitting there. Fortunately, no group activity lasts longer than 45 minutes in facilities for aging people so I made it through without covering my ears and singing La-La-La. 

My favorite time to visit my brother is when they have musical events. When we were kids we sang together so often that I can still see us standing in front of our kitchen sink as clear as if I'm looking at a photograph---him washing dishes and me drying them. We also sang on car trips---long and short both. Years later Mom told me she made us sing because she knew if we were singing we couldn’t fight.

They have a good music therapy program in the Memory Care building and one of the musical events this summer here on campus featured a trio of women dressed like '50s car hops and they sang a lot Andrew Sisters and other popular songs from WWII. My brother and I sang right along with them. (It's amazing how the mind can retain lyrics learned as a kid but it can't retain how to use a phone or a TV remote from one day to the next.)

Siblings share a unique set of memories and once a sibling is gone a whole chunk of ourselves goes with them. Who else can you ask about a foggy memory in your childhood? As adults my brother and I didn't run in the same circles or even knew what made each other tick, but there is no one else left on earth who has known me my entire life, so I'm happy for the opportunity to renew that relationship and build some new memories, however limited dementia makes it.

On an OCD note, one of the hardest parts about visiting the memory care building is I often come back plotting how I’d arrange the furniture in one of those rooms if and when I get moved on down there. What pieces would I take from my apartment? What would I hang on the walls? Will my family include me in the decisions? I’ve even thought about making a list but decided I didn’t want it to become a self-fulling prophecy as if I'd automatically end up down there. With a decline in physical abilities we can stay in our independent apartments with paid caregivers help a couple of hours a day. However, if dementia becomes a threat to ours or other peoples' safety that's the trigger point that forces us into the memory care building. And let's face it, if that happens I might not even remember why I wanted a list of things to take with me. If only I could see into the future I could be better prepared. But "it's a mystery" as my brother has been saying to me for the past 50 years when ever I'd ask a question that didn't have a black or white answer.

Until next Wednesday. ©

 


54 comments:

  1. I think the bus stop idea is brilliant, and kind. It breaks my heart when people get upset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me thinks not using these wonderful caring diversions that reduce drug use, is the point of these naysayers. It’s more money for the drug companies and perhaps some kickbacks, as well. It’s always greed somewhere in the picture. Mary

      Delete
    2. That's probably true in some but not all places. We are non-profit so that makes a difference too.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this brings back so many memories from when my husband was alive (with dementia). He suffered early onset dementia, dying from this cruel disease at the age of 70.

    One of the most helpful things I learned, was to focus on "love responses". When responding to someone's confusion, the most loving, caring thing we can do is to respond with love. Those hung up on the ethics of "not telling the whole truth" are just plain wrong.

    I know if I were suffering from dementia, I would hope that someone with respond to me with a love response, as opposed to the cold, hard, brutal truth, all in the name of being honest.

    You are a good sister Jean; keep doing what you are doing. Your brother is so fortunate to have you in his life at this very fragile, vulnerable time.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I think we are both fortunate. Him living so close now is bringing his whole family closer to me.

      Delete
  3. I'd do the same thing has you after visiting Memory Care: "plotting how I’d arrange the furniture" should I end up there. Funny I figured I was the only person who did things like, but you've shown me your OCD side and I love you for it. Suddenly I feel seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only recently labeled my plotting as having OCD tendencies since someone else told me I am. I've always just called me a worry wart and obsessive planner.

      Delete
  4. "It isn't the house they miss as much as it's the sense of security the word 'home' represents." I don't know why but that sentence stopped me in my tracks and made me sob. I am suffering from a terrible "homesickness" right now and that got me to the bone......Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry! Sounds like you needed to release those tears. I hope that helps leads to a place of healing or acceptance.

      Delete
  5. I have four brothers, and as I have aged, I enjoy chatting with them more and more. One of them regularly texts me "do you remember" questions and we have some great laughs. As the oldest, I have the longest memories, so the brother just below me in the birth order has more similar memories than the younger ones. I'm glad you can have some good chats with your brother. Siblings are so valuable, especially as we age. My mom is 91 and still has two siblings (out of seven) left.

    As for the bus stop, I can't imagine how that hurts anyone, and it sounds like a great solution for dealing with a memory patient. My MIL was always packing to go home and sure her mother was coming to pick her up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice that you and your brothers are close, especially since your mom is still in the picture.

      The fake bus stops have been around long enough that if there was a downside they'd know it by now and I've read some extensive reports on their use. When I get an opportunity I'm going to bring them a a support group here on campus and see what our people in charge thing of it. They must know about them and have dismissed the idea, I'm thinking.

      Delete
  6. I think there's something deep within most of us that always longs for home or that feeling of security. Yesterday, my husband and I discovered that the electrician and crew arrived at our home to install a home generator. They'd forgotten to let us know that they were coming, so we scurried and got in the car to kill time. They said it might take 4-5 hours. With temperatures in the high 90s, we knew we'd need to try to stay cool. We shopped, we had a nice lunch out, we drove very slowly, lol, went to the car wash...you get my drift. It was amazing how the time seemed to drag. I'm not complaining. I know we are very blessed. But we just wanted to be at home. Where everything is familiar and comfortable.

    I can only imagine what it feels like to be a resident in a memory care unit, and I am completely in awe of those who work so hard to make those patients' lives a bit easier. The idea of the bus stop makes good sense. So much better than pumping folks full of drugs! I was an elementary teacher, and often employed the tactic of diversion. I'm guessing that the whole bus stop idea also gives the staff a bit of a break. At least there's a positive option for them to suggest to the residents.

    It really is amazing that your brother and you have found a home so close to each other. I hope the bond that you share will continue to bring you both satisfaction and comfort.

    Jean, I always appreciate the insights you share with us. Recently, an old friend of mine became a widow and is in the process of selling her home and trying to figure out her life. Because I'd learned about continuous care communities from you, I was able to suggest it to her. Thank you! BTW, how are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing okay. In a holding pattern until after I get the kidney ultrasound next week.

      Luck had nothing to do with my brother and I living so close. I picked this place mainly for its proximity to where my nieces shop an there is a high density of medical offices many of us use. When it became time to move my brother out of his home my niece researched memory care places and since ours is rated really high with many state awards she asked if it would bother my social life in any way if they placed him on my campus. I was and still am thrilled. It's a win-win for all of us.

      I have always been kind of a homebody so get the killing time thing in your first paragraph. I enjoyed vacations but by two weeks I'm was always glad to come back home.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful idea. Love the bus stop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you and your brother are living close to each other and can be there for each other now. That sounds so great for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good because I feel like I am contributing something useful to my nieces and nephew to help fill in his visitor's times. And seeing, texting and talking more often to them makes me feel less alone. Because while I like most of my neighbors they aren't and never will be friends I'd confide in.

      Delete
    2. P.S. Besides, I have my blog for in- depth confidence spilling. LOL

      Delete
  9. I think the idea of a fake bus stop is kind. I am firmly in the camp of the "spirit of the law", always have been (to all my former employers' dismay 🤣). It is amazing how our minds work, even in decline. I watched a documentary on Glen Campbell who could still play guitar and sing in public, even as his dementia progressed. Same with Tony Bennett. Some people criticized Glen's family for putting him on tour with his state of mind, but he clearly loved what he was doing so why not let him keep performing as long as he could?

    I'm glad you and your brother are able to share so many memories.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music helps keep the neurons in the brain working and trying to rebuild. The hope is that when dementia patients hear certain songs memories are triggered and keeps the slippery slope less slippery. I see nothing wrong with what Glen family did with the tour. He's been an entertainer his entire life.

      Delete
  10. Jean :

    I am so happy you live close to your brother & visit him often & relive old memories & create sweet memories for you being there for him. Alzheimer is hard on patient & family, wishing you strength to e there for your brother.
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Asha. Dementia and Alzheimer's effects more than just the patient, doesn't it.

      Delete
  11. I went to visit my mother in the nursing home one day (she died in 2012) and she cheerily told me she'd had a visit from her friend, Honore. I knew Honore, her oldest friend from childhood, had died years before in California (we were in Texas) but I played along and asked how the visit went. My mother was kind of obscure in her answer, but she seemed pleased. Then it struck me that maybe Honore really did come to visit her, in spirit at least. Who knows? Agreeing with her was a lot better than trying to convince my mom otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear about a lot of imagined visits and outings coming from my brother too and I'm guessing that as dementia sets in it's impossible to tell the difference between thinking about seeing someone and actually seeing them. And since we really don't know what's out there in the Great Unknown spirit visitors as we get closer to death is kind of a comforting thing to me.

      Delete
    2. Agree. When my mother was in the hospital on the day she died, she was on morphine and had an oxygen mask on her face but when she was last awake she forcefully pointed to something across the room that I couldn't see. I'd been asking in my mind for my deceased dad to come and take her with him. Maybe that was him. I'd like to think so.

      Delete
    3. What ever it is if it gives comfort that's all that matters.

      Delete
  12. I'm so impressed with the level of care and the services available to those in Memory Care at your CCC. Maybe I should move to Michigan...or start to investigate what's available here. I'm certainly in denial (with underlying fear) about my own path into older age. How wonderful that you and your brother are in close proximity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it's important to investigate things like continuum care facilities long before you think you might need one. Here, most of them offer group tours that include lunch and that's a good place to start. You can rule out a lot of places that aren't in neighborhoods you like or have interiors you can't stand. Always pick up a resident newsletter if they have them and/or find out if they have an online presence and follow the ones that could be an option. Here, places like this must post their state inspections. Look for them on a bulletin board. Your state is progressive so I can't imagine their eldercare not being good.

      Delete
  13. I love learning from you and your blog! Somehow you always find a silver lining (being closer to nieces who are visiting your brother). I also enjoy reading the comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too on reading comments. I'm not sure I'd still be blogging if not for the comment section. It's the soul of the blog community.

      Delete
  14. I like how they handle the bus stop, but I wonder if anyone ever just sits there for hours and hours and hours. I know my mother, who has Alzheimer's, has no concept of time. She can get lost in something for a day, and if she's committed to it (she's ungodly stubborn), it's nearly impossible to move her off it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that would happen and that's okay. If not 'waiting for a bus' they'd likely be in their room distraught and/or fearful. From what I gather staff will sit down at the 'bus stop' to talk a few minutes when they make their rounds to check on residents.

      Delete
  15. Reading this made me think of my great aunt and my grandmother both of who had memory problems, my aunt would become distressed over her house, what was happening with it and who stole it but after a bit talking about my brother then explaining that he was living in her house to keep it safe she would settle down. Behind Nan's nursing home there was a field with horses and if she couldn't see them she would think someone stole them but if we said they were having their hooves seen to she would be ok. Dementia is so terrible and heartbreaking for us love ones to watch take over someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that about your family members. My brother worries about what happened to his house. Most days he understands that his son bought it but other times he doesn't remember and worries about the furnace, etc.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for finding that wonderful little video. When the staffer said, "they found the companionship and the company they needed" (at the faux Bus Stop), it really struck me. Our minds as well as our bodies will change more than we want to admit, as we age. I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that there will be kind people like this, in a safe comfortable place like this, to work with us as we are then, to provide companionship and company. And your blog, Jean, helps to light the way there. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that but I write what interests me so I hope it helps and/or entertains others. One thing I've learned by spending time in the Memory Care building is how compassion and patient the staff is that work there. I just got invited to go to one of their zoom training meetings for staff and family. They try hard to do right by their residents.

      Delete
  17. With those suffering from Serious Mental Illness you do have to Play Along and not argue about the Psychosis they have since it just agitates them. So, I've been 'prepared' for the whole Dementia thing all my Life it seems. The Man is slipping into what I am sure is Age Related Confusions and Memory Care lapses and Moods now far beyond what the TBI already took away or altered. This last VA Doc visit was awful, not due to Dr. Kline, he's wonderful and compassionate, but, becoz The Man has again been pretending or forgetting to take his Meds and didn't even have an important one becoz he'd told me he had an abundance of it in the RV Garage Fridge and it turns out he hasn't had it refilled now for 3 Months! Fuuuuck. I tell him every day when it's time to take his Oral Meds and his Injections, but, I don't always stand there and watch him to make sure he's doing it...now I shall have to, since he's either lying or forgetting to immediately and then thinks he did or is so confused about it all he's mebbe taking the wrong stuff? When we got Home from the Doc I told him I wanted to see the Injectable {missing one} he thought he had an abundance of and the Doc told us hadn't been refilled for Months? He went and took me to MY Injectables and said there they are! Oy Vey, I'm like, I HOPE you haven't been taking mine instead of yours Honey, those are MINE. He argued they weren't.., they are all Diabetic ones and wouldn't harm him to take mine instead, but then it would mean I'd run out of my own and he hasn't been always refilling his when he should. It's becoming more difficult to manage him or his Care and that part does scare me since we can't afford him to be in Long Term Care at all, so we do not have that option at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that medication taking/missing mix-up needs a solution. I don't know how you keep all your balls in the air but I admire you doing it.

      Delete
  18. The bus stop idea reminded me of my grandmother when she was in dementia care. She had worked her entire life and loved it. She was having trouble adjusting so everyday the nurses would get her dressed up, including her purse with Monopoly money, and let her sit at the nurses' station. She thought she was at work so was pleasant and happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What compassionate nurses where your grandmother was at. We give my brother stage money which he constantly loses or it goes through the laundry. With my dad we gave him Monopoly money too. Amazing how such a little thing can keep people feeling secure.

      Delete
  19. Sometimes I wish I knew. Sometimes I'm grateful I don't know. The visits sound both hard and rewarding, heartbreaking and touching. I know what you mean about people who knew your past,your whole life. They are few and far between. As an only whose parents were older when I was born, there are few who knew or remember them -- cousins, a couple of friends. Especially my mom. I value those talks. I'm glad the two of you live close at hand so that visits are physically easier for you. I love the bus stop idea. Makes sense to me and anytime you can ease up on the meds, the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visits are more up and down for my brother's kids, of course, because they not only are responsible for his care they are emotionally closer to the situation. I see myself in them when I was sharing caring my dad. With my brother I can go and just send a text of my interactions on any given day and not let his moods effect mine.

      Delete
  20. I've read about those facilities in Germany (and a couple of other European countries) and wished we lived there. We're waiting for an official diagnosis for my husband, and, although I keep hoping that one of the multiple "problematic for the elderly" medications he's taking is causing his issues, he has a multi-generation inheritance of dementia. I'm in the process of hiring a caretaker and introducing her "to help me." We've made sure her first introductions are actually to help me: to drive me to an appointment, to come to help me sort out his medications, etc. We both thought a slow introduction would help.

    I know what you mean about shared memories among siblings. I'm the oldest of four--one, six and eight years younger than I am--and I've always been the family history and genealogy person. But I conferred with my one-year-younger brother. He died at 67, and he's no longer there to tell me, "No, Linda, that's not what happened."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People here who start with paid caregivers seem to start where you're doing it: driving to appointments and errands and putting up pills. I hope yours works out well.

      I was surprised when I started reading about the eldercare in Germany. I just never thought of Germany as a touchy/feely country.

      "No, Linda, that's not what happened." made me smile as my brother and I often disagree on things that happened in our joint past. I sometimes wonder if I don't whitewash stuff in my memory. If I do, I suppose we all do it. Either I accentuate the hurt or the happiness of the events.

      Delete
  21. Can your brother visit you? If someone of course could take him there. It may feel like he has an 'option; of sorts sort of like going home. Just thought that may be comforting to him to visit you. Gosh Dementia/Alzheimers is so difficult. I pray I doni't have that next on our list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hosted a birthday party for him so he's been to my apartment but it's time consuming and not easy to get him here. We either have to load him in and out of a car or push him uphill in a wheelchair. Think we all have the same prayer.

      Delete
  22. The bus stop idea is genius. I've never heard of it, but my experience with dementia and such is limited. My mother clearly was in the first stages, but she was able to stay in her home, and believe me: I learned the gentle art of distraction. Of all the terrible things I've witnessed, I do believe the recent footage of Mitch McConnell and Dianne Feinstein suffering in such obvious ways is near the top. It's not a political issue, it's a human dignity issue. They could stand having a few people around them who show the kind of compassion and caring that those in your place demonstrate. I have to wonder about their families -- there comes a time for us all to make a graceful exit, and if we can't find the door, we might well need some help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Mitch and Dianne. They should retire but I dare say there are just as many in their party urging them to hold their seats as there are family members who might be urging them to retire. It's not a job like Glenn Campbell (mentioned up above), if he screws up a song on stage it's not a big deal.

      I happened to see the Enrichment Director today and asked her if she'd heard of the fake bus stops and she said she has just recently and she's going to advocate for one in my brother's building. They did some remoding this summer and they have a 'perfect place for it.' She said.

      Delete
  23. I'm thankful I have no comments on dementia, because I don't know anyone who struggles with it, but singing, now I do have a lot of experience with that. My parents refused to buy a car with a radio when we were growing up, so we sang in the car. As we got older, and there got to be more of us, we started doing harmony, and my dad would sing the bass. Since he was a teacher, we would take trips in the summer to California (from North Dakota) to visit grandparents, camping (cause you don't stay in motels when you have 7 kids) and singing all the way. Great memories, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, your memories of singing in the car trump mine. Glad I could help spark those memories for you.

      Delete
  24. I love the bus stop idea; I don't think it's cruel or unethical to give people some sense of autonomy and control over their own fate. I also have OCD tendencies and can easily imagine myself making plans for what I would take and how I would arrange my space if I had to move to memory care; one of my best strategies for coping with anxiety is making a plan for the worst case scenario.
    My older sister is in a nursing home, sharing a tiny room with a stranger, because her physical disabilities have become too great to manage at home or even in assisted living. Yesterday was her wedding anniversary, and she badgered her husband of 54 years into renting a wheelchair van and going on a day trip. My niece was tied in knots worrying about how her elderly father would manage her mother's care for a day on their own, but they managed. Today, my brother-in-law is tired from the effort, but I'm sure it did my sister a world of good to spend a day out in the world feeling like a competent adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have worried too about an aging father driving a wheelchair van he's not used to and making transfers. But getting out of the shared room would be worth it.

      Making plans for the worst and best case scenarios is something I've been doing all my life. It is a coping thing, isn't it. I never thought of it that way. I just like knowing what is coming and it was a great skill to have when I was in the wedding floral business.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.