Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

The Bacon Edition and More Newbies on Campus

When I sit down to write a new post I quite often do a search of my blog to make sure I won’t be repeating myself. This blog goes back to 2012 and my life experiences aren’t that broad that I’ve still got a lot of untold stories left---even less than when I started because I’m old and my memories are fading. Today I used the search term ‘bacon’ and I’ll explain why later on. 

One of the first posts I found was written in 2014 titled The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon and it started out, “I’m having a hard time deciding if I have anything left to say that hasn’t been said in a million different ways about the topics I usually write about.” Do you see a pattern here? And I went on: “I need a new life! Either that or I need to start making stuff up…like fictitious trips to the Amazon---the river not the online store. I’ve been to Amazon.com more times than I care to admit and while I enjoy shopping there no one cares where I get my books and finger puppets. Note to my heirs: those plush little puppets would make great places to hide things. Be sure to check the panda’s butt when I die.” It might contain the password you’ve been looking for.

My search of posts where I mentioned ‘bacon’ was surprisingly long and I quit counting at fifteen. I skim-read through a few looking for what I hoped I wouldn’t find (and didn’t). Those I read ranged in topic from different things to put on peanut butter sandwiches to snacks my dog loved to freezing bacon. Since it’s been awhile I’ll repeat that handy little freezing tip: The idea of rolling your bacon one piece at a time (see photo above) came from a Food Network Magazine article. You freeze them not touching each other, then put them in a covered container so you can defrost one or two pieces at a time which takes about 6-7 minutes. I have a microwave bacon baking dish which is the only way I’ll cook it. And that leads into why I was searching to see if I’ve ever written about my fear of frying bacon in preticular and frying foods in general.

After the anniversary party that I wrote about in my last post a woman who is well known around here for being a prolific and great cook (and a ride-or-die Trump supporter) asked me to come to her apartment because she had some party leftovers to give to me. While I was there she wanted to know my background, how I got through life without much experience in the culinary field. I blamed it on my mother, of course, and told her about the day she left me unsupervised while trying to fry bacon when I was 12 or 13 and how I got splatter burned on my face, eyeball and neck. After that I refused to fry ANYTHING until I turned 75 and I happened on an issue of the Food Network that was entirely devoted to cooking bacon. (See why my mom called me stubborn?) I read that issue cover to cover and challenged myself to get over my fear of cooking bacon. I followed the directions faithfully and made a perfect batch of bacon then I decided never to do it again. 1) I’d conquered my fear, 2) I didn’t like the cleanup for just one person, and 3) I proved what I used to tell my mom when she’d nagged me about not learning my way around the kitchen. I’d tell her, “If you can read you learn to cook and when I need to learn, I will...” That probably worried her even more because she knew I was a poor reader.  

“How are you ever going to get a husband if you can’t cook?” my mom would ask and I’d reply, “I’ll find one who can afford to go to restaurants or who likes to cook like Jerry (my brother) does.” My brother enjoyed the lessons meant for me---if I’d been paying attention---and to this day he claims I would have starved to death if he hadn’t made the dinners after school when my mom went back to work. To the woman who gave me the leftovers I also explained that before my husband and I were married we lived two miles apart with a dozen or so restaurants in between. He worked nights and I worked days so we’d meet in the middle for lunch. Occasionally on the weekends I'd grill steaks and I could make a good pot roast. And without having kids to feed it just worked for us.

Change of topic: I’ve got six new residents on campus and two of them overlook my deck, a couple and their large poodle named Willie. I don’t know them enough to give them nicknames yet but already I like them for two reasons: 1) I like people who give their pets human names and 2) news on the grape vine is they turned their den in an art studio for the wife. I met her briefly and have seen her twice. She likes to draw mostly and both times I saw her picking up mail she was wearing a painter’s smock and hat like the French painters in the 20th century. She looked so cute and all she needs is to carry a paint brush around to really look authentic. The royal blue silk blouse I wore to the recent anniversary party was fashioned after those painter’s smocks which is why I bought for the opening of the student art show I was in. 

Something tells me the next time we have a Paint and Sip party around here my painting will have some stiff competition. Great! I’ve always worked best in classes with people who I can learn from and try to compete with. It's like if you were to run a race against people who are 10-15 years older than you, you'd probably win every time but if you run with people who are younger than you, you probably wouldn't win but your time would be faster. That's me in art classes. I run better, so to speak, when I'm trying to keep up rather than 'teach by example' to those around me who've never held a paint brush.

Speaking of creativity, our Creative Writing Group is still a small but tightly net group of four and the round-robin story we’ve been writing is turning it to something we’re all proud of. We’re talking about doing a reading of it some evening by the fireplace, after the holidays with each of us reading the parts we wrote. Nights by the fireplace are things the residents---not our Enrichment Director---put together and they are usually music related stuff that draw 15 or 20 people. But one resident's family did do a poetry slam once. It would be scary to stand up and read our round robin but as Eleanor Roosevelt once said: “Do something that scares you every day” and she wasn’t talking about watching scary movies or doing dare-devil stunts. She was talking about going outside of your comfort zone. 

I have zero experience talking in front of groups since college in the '60s when I was a second stringer on a debate team. Two others in my group do public speaking with their church work and the third member of our group was a high school teacher/librarian and she doesn't fear public speaking. She and the only guy are brand new to creative writing, though, so it will be scary for them to reveal their wordsmithing in public. We all have tried our hand at poetry so we’re debating between doing this reading and doing a poetry slam that we can invite others to join in with original poems of their own. Decisions. Decisions!

Until next Wednesday. ©

* Photo credits: Bacon taken by me. The portrait photo was napped off Roseberys Art Auction site and was listed as '20th Century French School.'

30 comments:

  1. I loved hearing about your experience cooking bacon. šŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People do it all the time but I had such a fear of hot grease built up over the years that I armed myself with a fire extinguisher near by and a large pot cover to smoother any fire I might have had. It was a great magazine and had step by step methods of cooking bacon different ways...like in the oven which I never knew you could do.

      Delete
  2. And again I learn something new! That I can use! Freezing bacon rolled up like a pinwheel. Although with 5 of us here, we go through a package in several days. Oh I can't wait to learn more about your newbies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you live alone freezing bacon in pinwheels really is the way to go.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh bacon. Nothing compares to it! What a horrible experience you had, cooking it, as a young woman. Your story reminded me of when our pressure cooker blew up when I was a girl. Thank goodness, no one was near enough to get hurt, but my mom didn't pressure cook much after that.

    I like cooking bacon in the oven. I line a cookie sheet with non-stick foil and fill it up with bacon strips. It does splatter in the oven, but I figure the auto-clean on it is a whole lot easier than trying to clean up the greasy mess I'd have on top of the stove.

    Six new residents. Wow! Your neighbors above sound like interesting people. How cool that the woman enjoys art--you have something in common!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We already had three art professors and an art curator for the foundation who hangs art on our campus plus a handful of others who have dabbled in arts in their younger days so it will be fun to have a place where we can all 'do our thing'. We even have a weaver.

      Six new residents mean six moved on the another level of care or died, so that part of living in a CCC is something you have to get used to and in my case is probably why I don't like to get too close to anyone.

      Bacon in the oven does look like a great solution, especially when cooking a lot of it. I remember a pressure cooker blowing up when I was younger and my mother never used one again. Those old ones were dangerous. The worst thing I ever did in a kitchen besides getting burned was to put fresh cranberries in a blender and forget to put the top on. Had them all over the ceiling.

      Delete
  4. Okay I admit it, I'm going to be nosy about this new painter in the cute smock. You'll report back about her, of course. I'm glad your creative writing group is sticking together. You have the most fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured when I moved in that I was going to immerse myself in the culture of the place instead of longing for the past and it works for me.

      Delete
    2. It works well for us too because we enjoy reading about the other residents and your escapades!

      Delete
  5. I don't cook bacon very often but when I do the whole package gets done in the oven. I deliberately undercook it a bit, so I can warm/crisp it up in the pan with my eggs later. Then I go on a bacon "tear", eating two pieces per day until it's gone. Since there seems to be less bacon in a package these days, I don't have to worry about not being able to eat it all before it goes bad (if it even does - hasn't happened to me yet!).

    I'm with you Jean, about "competition" - I want to work with people who are better than me, people that inspire me and people I can learn from.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bacon packages ready are smaller, aren't they. I like having bacon on hand for bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches which is something we've all be asking for on the menu but we never get. Easy enough to make at home though.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of freezing bacon that way, but it's genius. I'm not a huge bacon fan, but having some on hand would be handy, as I have a few recipes that call for some. My biggest problem (besides the spattering grease...yikes!) is the smell that lingers in the house for hours. But I suffer smells for other foods. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you live alone it is nice to be able to freeze bacon. I know what you mean about the smell lingering. When you first make it it smells great but by the next morning I'm over that smell.

      Delete
  7. Bacon in the oven is the way to go. I haven't fried bacon in years and years. And it really doesn't splatter like frying. I save the bacon grease, too, which is made even easier since it's on foil--just crimp into a pour spout and transfer into a container once it's cooled.

    Sounds like you've got lots of great opportunities for creative outlets that are ongoing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realized how popular oven baked bacon is!

      We do have a lot of opportunity for creative things. We're doing a murder mystery dinner in a couple of weeks and just got our parts so we're all batting ideas for costumes back and forth.

      Delete
  8. I like bacon, crispy bacon with fried eggs and a breakfast potatoes but sadly I don't get such a meal, well haven't done in a bloody long time.

    I often wonder if I repeat myself in blog posts since my blog dates back to 2007

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could be not repeat ourselves in long-standing blogs but I figure most of those who come to read come and go.

      My favorite breakfast is bacon, scrambles eggs and fried potatoes. I don't get it often but that's because I don't get up early enough on Sundays to go to the Sunday brunches.

      Delete
  9. I still have that bacon magazine from Food Network. I need to know more about the painter. Sounds like my kind of people! A cute dog and an art studio. I like them already. It will be nice sharing your writing together -- less scary that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if I kept my copy of that issue or not. I really loved reading it.

      I need to know more about the painter upstairs, too. Only I think she draws more than paints. They are still getting furniture delivered and doing unpacking so the social opportunities to get to know her better haven't come yet. Willie their dog met Robbie the dog met and they got along great!

      Delete
  10. I find it funny about the bacon. I don't fry it. I bake it. no grease mess. I do the microwave for a recipe but don't like it that way to just eat it like that. Baking it on a cookie cooling rack that you put on a cookie sheet and all the grease goes on the pan and the bacon is perfect on both sides and doesn't shrink. No frying Jean, try it. I do not live alone or I'd try the single serving trick. It wouldn't work for me here. Rick will eat bacon like crazy and his cholesterol is 132 without medication. I wish that were me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at how many people replying to this post bake their bacon. I wonder it that's true of the general population or maybe you all were more inclined to reply than those who do fry theirs? I like the no shrinking idea. I agree that microwaving bacon doesn't taste as good but for one person who doesn't eat much of it because of cholesterol, it's good enough. Lucky Rick!

      Delete
  11. I vote for the Reading and the Poetry Slam. There are plenty of long winter evenings coming, enough to do both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought of that too but will wait to see how one event goes before we get too excited about doing another.

      Delete
  12. I've tried to cut back on my bacon consumption, but when I have it around I always do it in the oven. What I don't use right away I freeze; if it's just a little less done than I like it's perfect once warmed up in the microwave for a few seconds. The only time I use raw bacon now is for beef burgundy or jalapeno poppers -- seeded jalapenos stuffed with cream/cheddar cheeses and wrapped in bacon. Yum!

    I laughed at your mention of the new resident with her painter's smock and such. I was reminded of people who think a moleskin journal and Montblanc pen are a substitute for the work of writing. There are plenty of people who love the idea of being a writer, but don't actually like writing -- as is true for us all, from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the moleskin journals and pens. I knew a woman in a writer's group who had the fancy journals and pens with her all the time and she called herself a writer and was always entering contests but wouldn't "lower herself to do a blog." I'm intimidated by expensive journals and I carry a small spiral notebook that I can tear pages out of when I get back home again and can put my ideas in the computer.

      Delete
  13. As a child (maybe 10 years old?), my mother trusted me to make home made French fries. She kept lard or Crisco in a large sauce pan and we kept a basket in it for ease of prep. It was always at the ready. Seriously, who does that?!? Oddly, I never got burned doing it. Just one more way my family was crazy. As an adult, I don't even buy frozen French fries more than maybe one package every other year. The worst burn I ever had was ten years ago making a pork loin, and while I love them, I don't make it very often now.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up most houses had a can of Crisco and a can of used grease. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has a healthy respect for frying the things that have burned us. I can't imagine mothers of past generations trust kids in the kitchen like that!

      Delete
  14. I cook Bacon slowly on lower heat and never have it splatter that way, plus, we use a Cast Iron Bacon Press, cooks it evenly, faster, stops splatter that may happen. But, I can understand how traumatizing it was as a Kid to have that happen to you, ouch!!! It's funny what we Write about with consistency and don't realize. When I used to keep extensive Blog Archives I did notice patterns in what filled my thoughts on The Regular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much the way the magazine said to fry bacon. As for writing we do all seem to have a pattern that works for us, don't we.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.