Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

From Kittens to Quilts via Way of the Underground Railroad

Our campus was excited---maybe not the WHOLE campus, but I sure was excited about the new visitor who spent a morning with us recently. His name is Mercury and he’d been lost for four days before his picture was snapped outside the window next of our concierge's desk. He found the right window to make his plight be known. The concierge was able to hook him up with some residents who have two cats of their own who provided food for the hungry little guy. Someone else found him a blanket and box where he warmed up after he was wandering around outside in our below freezing temperatures. But he was too sweet to be a stray so eventually he got taken to a vet to see if this guy had a micro chip implanted. He did. And his ‘dad’ came to pick up soon after we called. Mercury was nine months old and had traveled over a half mile from home where the thirty-something cat daddy’s girlfriend had “accidentally” let the inside kitten outdoors. I’ve joked many times that I wish a kitten or puppy would wander onto my deck so I’d have an excuse to keep one but I never really thought it could happen. I'm going to be more careful about my wishes from now on and hope a winning lotto ticket is in the mini pile of dried-up oak leaves blowing around on my deck.

To celebrate Black History Month our Life Enrichment Director booked a black college professor to talk about the Underground Railroad, concentrating mainly on the Railroad Stations here in Michigan. I’d pretty much heard it all before because a few years back I went on a day trip tour of some of the underground stations aka houses with secret rooms that housed run-away slaves. Some of them had tunnels connecting the houses with their barns so the human cargo in false bottomed wagons could be unloaded in the barn away from prying eyes. Then they'd walk the tunnel to the house where they’d be fed, get rested up and get medical attention if needed. Still, its always good to reminded of our collective history and I was happy there was standing room only for the lecture which isn’t often the case here in my Continuum Care Facility.

When it came time for the Q and A I asked if he could talk about the Quilts. If you don’t know about quilts in connection with the underground railroad you haven’t read the 1999 book by Jaqueline Tobin and Raymond G. Dobard titled Hidden in Plain View: A Secret Story of Quilts and the Underground Railroad. This beautifully illustrated book claimed there were codes in the quilt designs that pointed the way to safe houses along the Underground Railroad. The professor said, “I was hoping someone would bring up the quilts. That’s been debunked as a myth." “That’s too bad,” I replied, “It’s a lovely myth.”

Having mostly believed in ‘the myth’ for over twenty years I did  some research after getting back to my apartment and I found a recent interview of Marsha Mac Dowell, the director of the Quilt Index which is a massive online catalog of more than 90,000 quilts who refreshed my memory of the controversy about the quilts but the book authors to this day stick by their claims. Mac Dowell says before 1999 no one---not even in the African American quilting communities---had ever heard of coding in quilts. She says this comes up every Black History Month because in 1999 all the book reviewers at places like The New York Times, The National Geographic's, The Smithsonian and NPR accepted the content of the book as true without questioning its validity. It took on a life of its own, she says, that today has African American women making coded quilts for their daughters and granddaughters.

The information in the above paragraph was found in an article in Folklife Magazine and it ends with the author, Marie Claire Bryant, saying: “Whether or not the codes are ‘real,’ Tobin and Dobard are responsible for a twenty-year tradition of craftsmanship that has cropped out of a confidence in what they wrote, in the codes. Now the lineage of artisans using quilt codes is robust. For them, the codes are poetry, healing, and, especially, a means of expressing history.” 

I like how she kept the door open to the power and possibility that the myth has a grain of truth to it. And whose to say that at least one conductor on the Underground Railroad didn’t have a few stops that used coded quilts the way hobos riding the rails during The Depression used piles of rocks and sticks along side the tracks to point to houses where they could get a sandwich. There were many Underground Railroad branches operating secretly and independently from one another fanning out across upper northeastern part of the United States. It’s not like there would have been period handbills to be left behind as proof that quilts were used to point the way to Canada. Anyway, it’s fun to learn new things but not so much fun to have to unlearn them.

Until Next Wednesday. © 

 ** I wrote about my day trip to visit some stops on the Underground Railroad and the quilts in a post tiled Day Trip to Secrets and Accomplishments. If you're interested in the topic that post is more detailed than this one.

28 comments:

  1. Wow -- I'm not sure I would have "told" about the cat! (Yes, I would have -- but regretfully.) He's a cutie! The talk sounds interesting. I know Marsha MacDowell -- she's the folk art curator at MSU Museum (unless she's retired in recent years) and is pretty amazing. They have done some magnificent quilt exhibitions there and have a remarkable collection. If your group is interested in quilt history (like you!) she would be a good speaker. She and her husband are amazing people and so well versed in museum-related issues (he used to be the museum director before he retired.) Bryant is right about the quilts opening great curiosity and interest in folk art quilting in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Mac Dowell is from Michigan but after reading about the Quilt Index I'd like to upload my crowning glory up to the site. What an amazing website. If you hear about any show coming up we might be able to get our Enrichment Director to plan a day trip to MSU. We do have a fair amount of women here who were/are quilters.

      Just curious about why you don't think I should have written about the cat? I know the two subjected don't go together if I were writing a serious article about the underground railroad, but I look at my blog like my online diary and I had that paragraph written a few days before I decided to write about the lecture. At that point in time I couldn't force myself to look at the post with an editor's eye an delete it out. And just so you know, I wouldn't seriously keep a stray without a serious effort to find his/her parents.

      Delete
    2. I don't think she meant you shouldn't have written about the cat. She meant she would have been tempted to keep the cat but then admits she wouldn't have. Because the cat is such a cutie...

      Delete
    3. I think she means she wouldn't have told anyone about the cat and maybe would be tempted to keep him for herself. It would be tempting for me too, but it's good to have him checked for a microchip. I wonder, though, if the girlfriend isn't a "cat person" and that's why she wasn't careful about him going outside.

      Delete
    4. I probably would have snatched that darling kitty and not "told" anyone about her, too. I'm a cat lover and she's darling! I've often thought about getting another pet, but then I force myself to be honest about all it would entail. Still, if one showed up on my windowsill, I'd quickly open a can of tuna, lol.

      The whole idea of quilts leading someone to a safe haven is incredibly heartwarming. I choose to believe it.

      Delete
    5. For some reason my blog won't let me reply to Ellen, Texas or Pam individually but I think you are right. I replied to Jeanie before my morning coffee and my brain was working right. Texas: I had the same thought about the guy's girlfriend. He and the cat were very happy to see each other.

      Delete
  2. My stepfather was a Quaker pastor. He and my mom accepted the pastorate at a small country church outside Cincinnati Ohio in the miid-80s. Under the church, which sat atop a small hill up from the parsonage, had been a stop on the underground railroad. I don't know if it was still accessible at that time or how the travelers knew to go there. As most of history knows, Quakers are pacifists and were instrumental in the movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the Quakers were on the right side of history and think how scary that must have been for them to harbor run-away slaves.

      Delete
  3. That dear, sweet cat! I'm so glad he was found. I think Jeanie meant she would have kept a cute cat like that a secret and not told anyone about finding him, thus keeping him for herself.

    I remember your quilt post from before. I also remember reading a detailed article about the myth of quilt codes in the Underground Railroad and how there's simply no evidence to support it anywhere. Quilts take so much time to make that any information included in them could have been outdated and put many fugitive slaves' lives at risk. That was one major point they made, if I recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I did miss read Jeanie about the cat. We have tons of kittens and cats at your humane society if I seriously thought it was a good idea for an 82 old to have a pet.

      The quit codes weren't just the designs sewn in them but the way they were hung out a window or clotheslines that supposedly told the conductor it was a safe time to stop. It's a myth with legs for sure. The book is convincing to many but I guess we have to trust the experts. Still, I think it's possible that the myth started with a grain of truth in an isolated area of the county somewhere. It's one of those feel good stories you want to believe.

      Delete
  4. I've heard of similar controversy in Canada about blankets being deliberately infected with small pox and distributed to First Nations Peoples. I had been taught it actually happened but then a history buff I know said it didn't - although it was discussed as an option in letters between some high-ranking muckity-mucks, back in the day. Just the fact that humans discussed doing it to other humans (and felt comfortable to put it in writing!) is bad enough for me (and I still would not be surprised if it actually did happen).

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God, I never knew that was controversial now. I'm with you, just that fact that high-ranking murkily-mucks put the idea into writing is enough for me to believe they would have actually use germ warfare on the hush-hush.

      Delete
  5. There are so many stories around that are considered wrong now days or myths with no truth behind them but I think most myths and stories of things gone by have some element of truth in them, sometimes that bit of truth isn't something people now days want to be connected with so they decide to just change it to how they want it to be, if that makes any sense if not please disregard and don't get a headache over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes perfect sense to me and I agree with what you are saying/

      Delete
  6. I hope there's still a grain of truth in the quilt codes. If the girlfriend ever does that again with the kitten he should dump her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The debunkers are going to have a tough time convincing me the quilts do not contain codes. I also believe there to be messages in songs that were sung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard a theory about songs that were sung having codes that would help run-away slaves but it sounds plausible that they did. Nursery rhymes, for example, have long history of coded stuff against the king of English.

      Delete
    2. Remember this song?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follow_the_Drinkin%27_Gourd

      Delete
  8. Shortly after the book was released, I attended a 4H conference out of state where a school based 4H program had developed a curriculum about the code and had several classroom based activities on the quilt patterns. They ranged from math and geometry with developing quilt patterns, to history and geography, black history and sewing skills. I was so excited, bought the book the minute I came home, involved my 4H club into researching the underground railroad in our state and in our county, and creating a quilt with some blocks from the book and some specific to events in our county. It was a wonderful experience for all of us and I am choosing to believe there is some basis in the book. I truly believe that IF it is true in any part, the meaning of the blocks would not be a written history and that families would not have wanted to share it. I think a lot of families (I am thinking of immigrants) prefer to start life anew and not really share bad memories with the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that! I love your story/connection to the topic. I agree that not having a written record of something that had to be so secretive doesn't bother me all that much.

      Delete
    2. I agree with what you're saying about immigrants not sharing bad memories. My mother's grandfather came from Norway in 1871. We always thought he was Norwegian but after my DNA testing and some help from Norwegian cousins, I found out he was 100% Finnish, part of a group in Norway called the Forest Finns who migrated across Sweden and Norway with their slash and burn agriculture. They were not welcomed and stayed isolated from the general population and were discriminated against. They're now one of the recognized minorities in Norway, along with the Jews, Romani, and Kvens. If it weren't for the DNA testing, I would never have known this.

      Delete
    3. Interesting what DNA testing reveals about families.

      Delete
  9. I can so relate about wishing a stray cat or dog would show up on my doorstep! I too would try to find the owner, but if I couldn't I would take that fur friend in! I too think about pets as we get older but if caring for a pet fits in the budget and you make provisions for the pet....why not? I have 2 parrots and have told my son who to call should they need to be placed and I'm not able to help. Most breed rescues will take in a pet orphaned by illness or death, but it's heartbreaking when the pet is very old too. People won't adopt them so the rescue knows they'll likely be caring for that animal until it passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! But if a stray Chose us then I can't be blamed for making what others might not be a smart choice at my age. I heard that the humane society won't even let people my age adopt anything but a senior dog and living in an apartment senior dog with senior kidneys isn't going to work.

      Good to see you back!

      Delete
  10. This was a really interesting post. First of all: I would not have been able to resist that kitty. I'm glad that its owner was found. If I were to get another pet now, you can bet I'd have it chipped.

    One of the bloggers I know, Melanie McNeil, is as close to a professional quilter as I know. She's not only skilled and prolific, she exhibits, teaches classes, and so on. She's quite interested in the so-called quilt codes, and has written about them. You can find one post here, with a link to a more detailed post. She doesn't believe that the quilts were used as codes, and it was fascinating to read the comments included with her posts. Most were from serious quilters who had varied opinions on the matter. I have no way to judge, but it's clear what Melanie thinks!

    I had forgotten until I read your post that when I was in grade school, I played with a girl also named Linda who lived across the street and two houses down. We often played in the basement of her very old house, which had some interesting, boarded up tunnels extending out from it. In later years, when I began to become interested in history, I learned that the house had been a station on the underground railway. I wish now that I'd been more aware of all that, and had asked more questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no excuse for not chipping a pet. It's super cheap here and even free a couple of days a year. I might even consider the new tracking collars if I had an escape artist dog and/or lived in the country. We lost a dog back when I was a kid and it broke my mom's heart and it caused me to be paranoid about never, ever letting the dogs in my adult life off their leashes.

      I just read the blog you linked. Thanks. You're right, she clearly doesn't even give the story/myth a sliver of credibility. It's interesting to me how something like this can take on a life of its own. Kind of like the election deniers now. People believe what we want believe and it the case of the quilts it's a feel good myth.

      Delete
  11. LOL, that kitten certainly knew how to express his needs clearly. Let me in, PLEASE!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.