Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

The Iron Chefs and the Eye Doctor

 

There are eight Continuum Care Communities across three states taking part in an Iron Chef competition. The way it works is each month all eight chefs go to one of the campuses to compete with a theme food they prepare for the residents living there and then the residents and guests vote for the best dish served. They just had their fifth cook-off at our sister campus and our Life Enrichment Director took a bus full of us over to eat and drop a voting chip into---presumably---our own chef's ballot box. The theme this time was 'Food Truck Food' and I had no trouble voting for the women who currently designs our daily menus. She served what she called 'Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly.' It reminded me of those 'pies' you make over a campfire with the round, pie irons. The sandwiches consisted of the centers of two pieces of white bread dipped in pancake batter with peanut butter, jelly, bananas, honey and mini chocolate chips inside, the edges were cut and sealed with a drinking glass before deep frying them for a minute. She took second place. She's placed first or second consistently through out the competition and is the only woman competing. 

If I hadn't voted for the chef from my campus I would have had a hard time deciding between a deep-fried, one bite cheese cake and a loaded baked potato. The cheesecake balls give you a sensation of something warm and sweet going into your mouth followed by a burst of cool and tart cheesecake and it was additive. The Bourbon Bacon Jam Potato' was---duh!---a potato topped with a jam made with bourbon, coffee, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic and caramelized yellow onions. Bourbon was in at least one other contest entry---a peach ice cream topping. I think Bourbon in my new, favorite flavor profile. We got a packet of all the recipes used and the street tacos had the most ingredients of all the dishes coming in at thirty with our chef's peanut butter and Jelly having the least number of ingredients---only eight. There was a Korean short rib dogs with peach relish that was good too and it had 29 ingredients. I've never made anything with that many ingredients in my life!

I'm quite sure this competition is designed to give bragging rights to all the category winners and the top winner for marketing purposes. In the commercial cooking world there's a big competition for good chefs at continuum care complexes and most CCC's serve lunch on the tours use to entice people to come look at their facilities. I almost hate to see our chef placing so well in these contests because then other places will try to steal her away. In the two-and-a-half years I've lived here she's the third or forth chef we've had and she is by far the best of the lot. And get this, she's the only one in the contest without a culinary degree. She used to own her own restaurants, lost it during Covid.  

All in all it was fun way to spend a few hours and we got a free lunch and transportation out of the deal. Plus we got to visit with a guy from our campus who was recently moved over to our sister campus because he has ALS and needs a higher level of skilled nursing than he could get here.

Speaking of Covid I went to the eye doctor yesterday and I remarked about how nice it was that we no longer have Covid protocols to follow and the woman doing the pre-testing before my actual appointment said it was terrible working conditions because so many people tried to argue their way out of wearing masks or bringing in proof that they'd been vaccinated. She said she even had one guy lick the chin rest on one of the machines. (This was the Trump effect---people denying the science.) I remember how careful they were about cleaning those machines after they were finished measuring my macular pucker. I can't imagine dealing with jackasses like Licker Guy or as my niece called the ant-vacciers  'The Spreaders'. 

By the way, my pucker hasn't changed much since my last visit but I have developed "a lot of dry areas on my corneas" which makes my eyes feel like I have grit up inside the lids. I'll now be adding drops twice a day and before I drive. My getting-ready-time in the mornings and at bedtime is getting as long as a teenager addicted to layers of makeup. No matter how many suggestions I follow for getting drops in my eyes I can't seem to do it on the first few tries. Laying down in bed while hold one eye open and using the other to put the drops in the corners of my eyes works the best. I went into this appointment thinking/hoping I'd get a new prescription because I can't read street signs as well as I'd like. But the doctor said the dry corneas are probably causing that more than anything. I'm getting a new prescription for computer glasses that block the harmful light coming from the screens. I'm excited about having prescription glasses exclusively for the computer. I don't know why I didn't get them long before now is a mystery. No more trying to find the right place in my trifocals! 

I love my eye doctor. He used to be a nice piece of eye candy, too, but over the past half decade he's put on a little weight and quit wearing his cute, little surgical scrub cap that he wore during Covid. But he's still got his easy going and confident demeanor which I find to be the most attractive quality in the opposite sex. The way he says, "your other right" or "your other left" has a humorous ring to it that neither makes you feel stupid or nor gives you a sense that he's bored because he's probably said it thousand times to his patients. Actually, I've never thought to ask him if all his patients need the 'other direction' corrections or is it just his dyslexic patients like me. What do you think his answer would be? 

Until Next Wednesday!

 *photo by soydolphin

34 comments:

  1. That's a great idea for an outing, but I hope you don't lose your chef. I never mastered the art of putting drops in my eyes either. Good luck! I'm paranoid about mine because I've had trouble with them all my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even using an eye cup doesn't help to get the drops in. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  2. How fun to have an Iron Chef competition. Exciting to have such good chefs at the helm of your CCC. I'm so drawn to anything with "fried" in the title. Maybe lima beans dipped in bourbon and deep fried???

    Thanks for the fun post!



    I feel your pain about dry eyes! I tilt my head, pull down on lower lid and put the drops on the white of my eye, close and wait 10 seconds before doing the other eye. I use CeraVe eye cream several times a day around my eyes. At night, I smear some Aquaphor or vaseline on my closed eyelashes and gently massage. Just a smidge gets in and glazes the eyes. I feel so refreshed in the morning (but I do go through a lot of pillowcases).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eye lids are always tired feeling as well as my eyes themselves being tired. I'll have to try the vaseline.

      Delete
  3. So much food! It's a wonder they don't have a bariatric surgeon on all the CCC's. You're all fortunate that the menus are so terrific. I hope no one ever complains that "the food is too rich."

    As I've gotten older, my eyes have gotten so dry that wearing contacts is out of the question. My vanity has taken a terrible hit. I don't have the problem you have about administering eyedrops, but I hate to have to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is the number one thing people complain about on campus. Residence even formed a committee to collect complaints and ideas from residents and meet with the CEO and the kitchen manager every month. Some of the issues are/were valid and got corrected like food being served too cold and portion sized uneven but other things are people being too fussy. On going is not enough choice and variety, not a heart-healthy menu. Their answer to everything is we're an independent living facility and state laws don't regular the food here like it does for assisted living. We can go out and buy more vegetables to eat in our apartments, for example because they don't serve as many as most of us want for example. My biggest complaint is that shellfish is served way too much and I'm allergic. People complain abut the lunch soups being too thin or two thick---things where you can't please everyone.

      We've all gained weight from the rich sauces served. Our current chef does the best job so far of serving tasty but well balanced meals.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you got to go on an excursion -- and a tasty one, too. I can't say that PBJ sounds like one I would have voted for but the ice cream does. So does the short rib but that's a lot of ingredients! I can't imagine cooking that for a crowd! It sounds like loads of fun -- and a free lunch. No one knocks a free lunch. I'm frustrated with my cataract surgery. I feel as though my distance vision, which was the point of the whole thing, is at least two or three times worse, if not more. I know I'll need glasses but I have a feeling the script will be far more than the one before. It's good to like your eye doc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really disappointed with my cataract surgery too. Everyone kept telling me how beautiful world look so I expected a lot of color improvement that didn't happened. Had it 2-3 years ago and I still need glasses for distance and reading. My macular pucker made it impossible to get the corrective lens put on my eye ball when the cataracts were removed. But the doctor said if I didn't get the one off the pucker sooner rather than latter I would go blind. Maybe you got the close up lens first and your second surgery will give you the lens for distance?

      Delete
  5. Though I can't even imagine 29 ingredients in a dish, this sounds like an event I'd like to watch on Food Network. "Life Enrichment Director" sounds so much nicer than the title "Activity Director" used here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours really does a great job of bringing in a lot of different kinds of activities but fun and educations type. Today is a lecture of getting a good night's sleep.

      I don't think I've ever cooked anything with over 10 ingredients. The sample sizes where small enough that we could try everything served that day and go back for seconds which I did on the cheesecake.

      Delete
  6. I hope you get to keep your chef, Jean! I know we're supposed to eat to live and not the other way 'round but food can be such a pleasure, it would be a shame to have the quality drop. I just went for an overdue eye exam and I am getting glasses again (years after laser surgery for distance vision and relying on store-bought readers). My eyes are at 2 different reader strengths - no wonder they get so tired! I am looking forward to not struggling so much when I am doing art and other projects that needs fine detail work. I learned I can get multi-ocular contact lenses too, for when I am doing water sports like kayaking and snorkeling. Woohoo! But first, I am going to see how the glasses help. Have a great week!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got a drafting table with a light up magnifying glass and does that make arts and crafts easier. I find I use it for other stuff to like reading labels, threading needles, gluing stuff together, etc.

      Delete
  7. I can only imagine how well attended those Iron Chef competitions are! Eating is something we all have in common, and a free lunch is still a great deal.

    It really is a plus when you genuinely like your doctors. I sure hope that your eyes will continue to improve as time goes on. During my last visit, my doctor said that I'd probably be wanting cataract surgery soon. She asked if I had trouble driving at night and I told her no (because I so seldom go out after dark). I did get some of those protective glasses for when I'm looking at screens. Hope it's helping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drive after dark either. No one said I shouldn't but I just don't think it's a good idea eyesight wise.

      Delete
  8. What a fun outing with great food. I hope your chef sticks around!

    My eyes are also drying out more and I just got new glasses with a very tiny change in one lens. I thought for sure my eyes were getting worse fast. I find myself blinking more to try and clear my vision -- especially when I'm tired. I was thinking it was allergies, but now I think it probably just dryness. I need to be more faithful about using my eyedrops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you're showing the classic signs of dry eyes. Remembering the drops is such a hard routine for me to get into.

      Delete
  9. That iron chef comp sounds interesting and getting to taste so many different foods also nice, aren't all comps about bragging rights for the winner.

    Dry areas on the cornea doesn't sound nice at all and having to use eye drops would frustrate me, I would do it just wouldn't like doing it. Special glasses for the computer may help and if they do then worth the expense I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took an old pair of frames in to use for the computer so it's not going to cost as much as it could. No one is going to see them to now they are out of style.

      I think those contests would be stressful to take part in but some people love the rush they get from challenges. Not for me.

      Delete
  10. Still haven't the brainpower to understand why I can no longer comment as me on your blog. One of the mysteries of the universe. (They seem to be expanding exponentially as I age - love that word, and finally got to use it.) It's Catherine aka parlance aka Penny and Peppa's human.
    Anyway, to eyes... there's a type of spray here in Australia that you spray onto your closed eyelids and somehow, in another mystery of the universe, it must creep into your eyeball somehow. The spray does work, though.
    And your recounting of the childhood 'pies' over the fire is probably what we called 'jaffles', made in a jaffle iron. I think we used to make them with baked beans between the slices of bread, or sometimes banana. Not as sophisticated as what you're describing here.
    However, I could feel the kilos accumulating on my hips as I read your recipe descriptions, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you want to comment look for the little arrow pointing down that's follows the word 'anonymous'. Click on that and you'll get a choice for who you want to comment as. I click 'google account' which takes me to a new screen where at the bottom of the post it will show my posting name. Since your blog with with bloggers it should work the same for you.

      I've never sense an eye spray! I can see how that would be easier. I'm going to do a little research. Thanks.

      When I was a kid we cooked all kinds of things in pie irons. deserts and main dishes. Anything that would fit between two slices of bread. Baked beans was not one of them but it sounds great. My family loved baked beans. The pancake batter just made things a little sweeter, I think, and would probably cook in pie iron because it' such a thin layer.

      Delete
  11. You are lucky to have a good chef in the kitchen there. I imagine how difficult it must be to offer something for everyone as people can be picky when it comes to their food! Hard to keep every one happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to keep everyone happy. People complain about the stupidest stuff.

      Delete
  12. What fun to have that Chef Contest and get to be the Judging Panel! We watch the Food Network constantly and drool. I can only Imagine what the Dishes taste like, most look and sound Divine. I'm always Surprised at how many ingredients are in the 'famous' Dishes of Restaurants doing well, they certainly put their Heart, Soul and Resources into making a Dish a "Destination". It also explains the Tight Margins of the Industry, so many edible ingredients are expensive and Spices especially. Glad your Eyes are stabilized. I had an Eye Spray after I had Lasik done, that might work better if you have trouble with drops? I don't have trouble with drops, but the Spray is easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my other blog commenter mended spray and I've got to look into that! I didn't know they existed.

      Delete
  13. I'd never heard the phrase 'iron chef.' I had a few giggles trying to figure out what one would be. I guess it probably comes from some sort of competition show, like a bake-off. I grinned at your description of the fancy peanut butter/jelly fried pies. Did you know there's something in the freezer section of your grocery store called Uncrustables? It's a modern version of our old-fashioned treats.

    I didn't realize so many people have trouble using eye drops. I have glaucoma drops I use at night, but I keep a little bottle of natural tears in the car to use if I get sanding dust in my eyes, or am out in the wind and end up with dried eyes. If I've been out in the wind during a flower prowl, I'll even use the tears at a stop light while driving home. It must be irritating beyond words to have that gritty feeling even without sanding dust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is irritating and my eyes feel tired all the time from fighting what I now know is dry spots on my cornea. I'm trying the spray that I learned about from commenters. I can't wait to get to the store!

      I can tell you don't have a TV because the Food Network uses the term Iron Chef all the time. They have Iron Chef competitions where the best chefs across the country are matched against each other and cook from a basket of (often) odd ingredients, in front of judges in a timed contest.

      Never heard of Uncrustables. I'll have to look next time I go shopping.

      Delete
  14. I love the idea of the Iron Chef Competition. What fun and I am so glad you got to participate. Your chef sounds terrific (I used to make those pie iron sandwiches with my own kids). I hope she doesn't get stolen away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I think the choice of the Peanut butter and Jelly was a good choice for the age bracket the contest was serving because of the fact that so many of us made the connection to the pie iron food we made when younger. A sentimental choice.

      Delete
  15. Since I only have one functional hand, it's real hard to do eye drops. I lay down, close my eyes, and do the drops on my eyelids, then lay there a few minutes and blink a couple of times. It is messy, but the drops do finally go in my eyes (and over my face, but whatever). Gets the job done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try that method. Gives a bigger target area to hit. Thanks.

      Delete
  16. I'm curious to know which dry eye drops you use and if you like the result or not. I just got instructions to use dry eye drops but I forgot to ask what brand. I know that some eye drops contain steriods and I am not supposed to use them because of the diabetes. So please share any review of the drops you use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctor gave me samples for an OTC Refresh GEL Drops that I've used in the past and was easier than other drops to get in and he gave me a sample packet of Cequa prescription drops. Neither one appear to have steroids in . I have another OTC from CVS Health that are totally useless---too watery and it runs right out of your eye when you do manage to it it. Jury is still out on whether not I'll end up with the prescription drops over the GEL drops. The Cequa is pricey judging by $80 off coupon that came in the box.

      Delete
  17. The chef competition sounds like fun. I'm terrible with eye drops and thankfully still have a hubby to put them in for me. Though I'm not dyslexic, I'm also directionally challenged and always have been, the tone someone uses when they say, 'your other left' definitely makes a difference. I've had my share of people who've said that to me in an exasperated tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is!

      Our chefs have what the call cooking lessons every 6 or 8 week which is kind of a joke in a place like this where ever few of us cook anymore. But it does give us an opportunity to interact with the chefs and they have all been really nice.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.