Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Cognitive Quirks of an Octogenarian


According to Wikipedia, one of the most highly cited papers on short term memory was written by George A. Miller, titled "The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two: Some Limits on Our Capacity for Processing Information." He was a Harvard University professor and the article was published in Psychological Review in 1956. Over the years its become known as Miller's Law and it argues that the number of things an average person can retain in our short-term memory is 7 plus or minus 2 items. (Why not just say 5 to 9 items, this inquiring mind wants to know.)

Several years ago I voluntarily took one of those long form cognitive tests as part of a twelve week class being taught here at my independently living facility on improving our memories. The class was a bust. We started out with 10 or 11 in the group but by the fifth week everyone dropped out. The class came with a thick workbook that involved doing daily timed math problems, writing long-hand every day and something else I've forgotten on the 'three legged stool' for keeping our brains healthy. The cognitive test was to be taken at the beginning and end of the class for comparison. And that test included the Miller Law list of seven objects named at the beginning of the session. I was able to repeat back six of them at the end. It was a good 'thinking day' for me, but our Enrichment Director who gave the test made it too easy because they weren't exactly random words. She looked around my apartment and I was able to follow her eyes then fix an object in my brain as she named things like purse, red, clock, notebook, etc., etc. So I don't believe the test predicted anything regarding how long random things stay in my short-term memory. 

More telling to me would be to count how many times I have opened the dishwasher door when I meant to open the freezer draw right next to it. Often enough to worry me and give me flashbacks to finding things in my dad's cupboards or refrigerator that belonged in the opposite place. When will I cross over the line and start putting the ice cream next to the glasses in the cupboard or a dirty plate in the freezer? I've decided that will be the marker that will push my panic button. For now, I'm checking and correcting myself midway through dishwasher/freezer drawer mix ups. 

Another marker I will use to judge if I'm in serious cognitive decline will be often I lose things. Up until this year I could count on three fingers the number of things I've lost in my entire life. (Yes, I'm that OCD person who obsessively keeps track of my stuff.) A few months ago I lost my Mahjong Card and I had to order a new one. Don't think that didn't rattle me! Worse yet, I keep thinking someone stole or accidentally took it home because the last place I saw it was on a table after we played and the room was filled with people milling around. Don't all seniors with draining brain power who lose things get paranoid and think others are to blame when they can't find something? 

In 2020 Trump did a press interview about the Cognitive Decline Test he took (and had mixed up with an IQ test). He was bragging all over Fox News about remembering the words, "person, woman, man, camera." Among other things, he said that no one could believe he could remember those words! For awhile that Miller Law memory exercise was a standard question on the yearly Medicare Wellness Test so he wasn't fooling anyone but you'd have thought by the bragging Trump did that he'd aced an SAT test. 

I just had a Medicare Wellness test last month and that question wasn't included this time. I think they know we old people compare notes and try to cheat on the answers. For example, no one here where I live admitted to having throw rugs on their floors so we could avoid the lecture about them being leading cause of falls in the elderly. This time my test had a full page of questions about depression and self medicating with drugs or alcohol. It also asking questions about food insecurity and I wondered what they do if a senior answers indicating they have to ration their food to make it last from social security check to social security check. The last week in the month when our food allotment around here is running low there's a lot of math involved in ordering our meals to get to a break even point on the last day of the month. It's more like a game around here because we don't like to leave any money behind for the management. No one here would go without, though, if they run short, because someone always has leftover money in their allotment they are dying to share. It's usually the same people who run over or don't use up their funds. Most of us work at and brag about how close we come to the break even point.

I've written about my dad being in a drug trial for an Alzheimer's drug and part of that trial involved me taking him in to get an extensive comprehensive cognitive test every two months for a year. Watching him take those tests were bittersweet because 1) It clearly showed his decline, but 2) his sense of humor came through in those dementia years. But that was over 25 years ago and they have new trials going for dementia and Alzheimer's patients. They have twice a month Dementia Support Classes here on my campus and I used to go to them when my brother was alive and I probably still should given the fact that a half dozen others with dementia are living in the independent living and every day they can be found tagging along behind their spouses. Occasionally they escape the careful eye of their spouse and someone else will help them find there way. We don't have any dementia patients living on their own here, though---they are all down in the Assisted Living or Memory Care building. It's both heart-breaking and a relief for the caregiver-spouse when their partner has to move on down the line because they can't handle it anymore. On the good side they can visit daily with a short walk.

I just finished binge watching the first season of OutLast on Netflix. It's one of those reality, survivor-type shows. They started out with 16 players and ended up with a three man team that split the million dollar prize. It took place in Alaska and they had to live off the land for a month and they were dropped off with very little supplies---a hatchet, knife, bow and arrows, a tarp and a spark marker to start a fire. I don't know how realistic these survivor TV shows are when they have trail cameras aimed at them every which way. But one thing is for sure: when I'm watching dystopia and survivalist shows I start questioning my mental health because for some quirky reason I only watch them when I'm worried about something big and consequential---after my husband died and during the pandemic back a few years ago. Probably the election now is why I picked OutLast. Those kinds of shows always make me feel better about the underlying thing that is keeping me awake at night is not so bad by comparison.  ©

Until Next Wednesday. 

 


 

 

18 comments:

  1. Oh Jean, I understand what you're talking about. I walk into the kitchen (or any room), and stand there, looking around, wondering what I came in for. I know memory changes are part of aging, but I think it's compounded by stress, and Lord knows we are living in stressful times. We are seeing declines in a family member and it probably won't be long before there needs to be an intervention with more hands-on help. It's hard. Makes me want to enjoy every good day we have to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough subject and one we can't avoid. I do think stress contributes to it. It's especially hard to know when to step in and take a more hand-on approach to help loved ones. I think most families wait too long.

      Delete
  2. I live in fear of developing Alzheimer's. My mother has it, and I'm constantly looking for symptoms of it in my own behaviour now. It's awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are supposed to be a lot of new treatments on the brink of breaking through, so that's hopeful. Having a strong family advocate is really important when facing an life-altering health issue, so make sure you keep your relationships in good shape. Just saying.

      Delete
  3. Recently I watched as my husband took a memory test and it was heartbreaking to see how many things he could not remember. She asked him who I was, if we had kids, how many kids we had, their names and ages. He really stumbled over the kids ages as thought our daughter who is 50 was 30. She also gave him the letter F and asked him to give her words that started with F. She was giving him a minute to do this. He said food then said vegetable and he could not give her anymore words. It’s heartbreaking to see someone you love lose a little of themselves everyday. Thank goodness for the support of the health care groups, family, and friends. Next step is to see a neurologist and have an MRI. In sickness and in health takes on a whole new meaning when your mate begins to have issues but I know he would do the same for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's takes a committed spouse or adult child to see someone through this heartbreaking health issue, especially at the stage you're at. In time many of us are also able to find humor in it on occasion. My mahjong guru has such a wonderful attitude about her dementia, is able to laugh at herself and that puts everyone around her at ease. By the way, I'm here trying to name words that start with F. I'd forgotten that's part of the test.

      Delete
  4. I've never watched any survivalist shows, but am fascinated by your awareness of why you watch them. We all should be so in tune with our psyches. I've been asked about throw rugs & food insecurity, but not my use of alcohol. I'm just a newbie to this Medicare game, more hoops to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's so much fun---trying to stay one step ahead of the Medicare Wellness Test. But I try to remember that there may be seniors who don't have others around them to open up about topics like food insecurities or drinking to self medicate and those tests give doctors a chance to prevent and/or treat senior depression which I understand is a big issues.

      Delete
  5. At this point in our lives most of us have known of someone who has died of Alzheimer's, or we have first hand knowledge of watching that painful decline. It's hard on everyone and I shudder to think of how those with few emotional and financial resources will be cared for in the years to come. Your brother was in a good facility and he had you there for comfort and continuity which had to make a positive difference for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother had good, supportive kids who did their best to keep him in his own home for as long as it was possible. But after five years of that balancing act it's hard on everyone. he was fortunate enough to have the resources to be in a good facility and every day I thank my dearly departed for giving me that same opportunity. I used to live in fear of being a bag lady who lived under a bridge.

      Delete
  6. Those new Medicare questionnaires surprised me this year, too. The food question surprised me, but it's good they ask. As for throw rugs, I don't admit to them either. lol. And every year we get the question about grab bars in our shower, which we don't have. Ooof. I don't want to damage the tile. I know that is short sighted, but so far I have held firm. At some point, I'll get the ones that have suction cups...we bought them for the guest bath when my mom visited and they seem to work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get the grab-bars-in-the-bathroom question this year. I had a towel bar in the shower stall that had those suction cups and it fell down often even that finally replaced it with hooks with Command strips. Elderly people fall in tubs and showers more than any place else. The grabs bars only damage the tiles if you plan on removing them sometime in the future. Something to think about.

      Delete
  7. I am figuring I am a lost cause since I have been playing the game of "where did I put it" since my 20's. I am infamous for putting things in the freezer - like my car keeps along with the ice cream when I return home from the store.
    Yesterday it was the grandchildren's dress up clothes. I was tired of picking them up and hid them. Someone needed a costume and I tore the house apart. Never did find where I hid them from myself. My most frequently phrase is "why did I come in here?". I am a ticking time bomb.
    I know that's jokey - my dad suffered from dementia and it is not funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got to keep a sense of humor about our quirks and brain farts. The laughter keeps us from crying. If you've been playing the where-is-it game since your 20's maybe when your brains decides to change you'll be the opposite of what you've been all your life.

      Delete
  8. I took my Dad to something like the Alzheimer's trials that you mentioned. It was sad to watch him go downhill. When my kids were little, they called him the "smartest man in the world" and we would always call him when the kids were stuck on some homework problem and he always had the answers or could look them up in his encyclopedia (before Internet and Google!!). We were lucky that he was quiet and docile towards the end and didn't get angry or violent at all. I see my big brother starting to show some early signs of dementia and it sure is scary to think I'm next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is something to be thankful for when an elderly person with dementia is docile. My dad was too and so easy to manage where my brother gave his kids a run for their money.

      Delete
  9. Aging brings so many questions and worries. I'm at the age I have to chant why I leave the room so I can remember, especially if it is a two step chore (get a new box of tissues then check the mail".) I like that Doctors nowt ask about food stability and have a list of resources. Until I volunteered, I didn't know how many food pantries there are near me. One delivers!

    I'm lucky to have my family as roommates, but when they are all out and about, I take my phone with me when I head to the bathroom or take a shower! Aged people have smart ways to compensate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we have to use smart ways to compensate and we all learn as we go on that score. Well, most people do. I see some very foolish chances being taken around here.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.