Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

From Mahjong to Music with a Litte Bowling in Between

 

In my last post I wrote: "Many residents here [at the continuum care facility] have taken on self-appointed roles---social director, mayor, florist, management suck-up, food critic, complainer-in-chief …." and it occurred to me today that I've done the same thing. Some people here call me 'Mahjong Jean' but what I ready am is the self-appointed coordinator of a things mahjong. This is not unique around here. We have the Bingo Ladies who put on a once a month game with cash prizes, the line dancing teacher and the Bridge Director who both manages two sessions a week and the Crackers & Cheese fairies for lack of a better name.

Every since I co-taught mahjong classes last year, increasing our number of players from six to twelve, I've taken on the responsibility of text messaging everyone the day before our Wednesday games to see how many are playing so the next day I'll know how many tables and games I need to set up. I've also created a system to randomize who plays with who that as been very popular and I've established a once a month Sunday skill building game. Our latest skill building involves learning how to score our games because I got the (not so?) bright idea to challenge our sister campus in a tournament this fall. 

I've never been to a tournament except for bowling back in my man-hunting twenties when I was on an all-women's leagues at a bowling alley-slash-bar that had live music on the night when our league played. Back then it was thee place for singles to mingle. It's the place where I met my husband but that's a story I've already told in an old post titled Tall Tales and Little Fish.

I wasn't the best bowler, not the worst either but I wasn't there for that particular game. It was the boy-meets-girl part that attracted me to join the league. I had written a letter to Ann Landers---a newspaper advice columnist in case you're too young to know who she was. I was bemoaning the fact that I didn't think I've ever meet my forever guy. She answered with: “Get out and do things you enjoy doing and it will happen.” So I signed up for every leisure time class I could find and I joined the bowling league. The rest is history. 

When I look back on my life it seems like I spent a lot of time searching for a place to fit in and I rarely thought about the idea that others probably did or do the same thing whether it's at a new school or work place, in new neighborhood or church family. We all have experienced carving out a place for ourselves. For me, sometimes it's felt like I was carving in butter like when I helped form a Red Hat Society chapter and other times it's felt like I was carving in marble like being in my late twenties when I was 'man shopping' Ann Landers style.

Looking for my place in the world is such an old habit that I forget to stop and consider that I may have already found it, at least for this era of my life, in this place. Finding our places in the world means finding our purpose in life and that purpose does and must change as our environment and the people around us changes. It's exhausting---the constant looking, especially if we're looking outward for what can only be found by looking inward.

Change of topic: For a couple of days this week I was haunted by a song on a video that I landed on by chance in a Facebook Short Reel. I thought I would write a post about music in general and that song in particular. But the more I searched my memorial bank I couldn't come up with the reason why it got stuck on auto-play in my head. The song was Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh who is an internationally known British-Irish singer/song writer. In 1986 it hit the top of the charts all over the world. But I was never a fan of Chris's music per say. This week I listened to it over a dozen times and in six versions of the song sang at different points during in his career and I literally felt the sensuality of his voice and those lyrics wrapping around me like a hug. Finally I remembered why it resonated with me! 

I was in my mid forties when the song was popular and I had a red dress that I wore to a special occasion one evening and when we got back home that song played on the radio as Don helped me out of that dress as if he was unwrapping crystal stemware---slow and sensual with the red dress ending in a pool on the floor next to the bed. You can guess what happened next. Hearing that song again after all these years catapulted me back into a state of pure contentment, like when you know you are loved and everything in the world reminds you of that scene in the Wizard of Oz when the film goes from black and white to technicolor. And I have tears of remembered joy pooling in my eyes as I'm write this.

No wonder they use music so much over in the Memory Care building. If we are smart we'd all make ourselves a play list of the special music in our lives for when our brains start shorting out because they claim that our memories attached to music are the last thing to go when people get Alzheimer's and it can help us hold on to those memories. I know that to be true because music often blindsides me with an emotional response and a flashback. Usually instantly. No waiting around for two days like they did with Lady in Red and no embarrassing red cheeks when I finally figure out why that particular memory got buried a little deeper than so many others. ©

Until Next Wednesday.

 

                                       1985 original version

36 comments:

  1. You are very sentimental today but I hear you about how a certain song takes us back to a place where memories flow. I too get emotional when a song takes me back to what was going on in my life at a time when that song was popular.. I ride the nostalgic train and find myself drifting back and wishing I could live that time again. Good thing we still have our memories as we know there may come a time when we won’t. Until then we will enjoy taking a sentimental journey, oh that’s a song title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always too sentimental for my own good. My parent used to sing "Sentimental Journey" at lot when I was growing up. Can never hear it without feeling happy.

      Delete
  2. You are right about music triggering memories for us. I may not remember the name of a person I met yesterday but I can remember all of the lyrics to old songs I loved. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last summer I used to go with my brother to the musical performances down at the memory care building and he could sing the lyrics (as could I) to all the '40s songs. It's what our parents sang. And I do have to stop and think to remember what I ate yesterday. LOL

      Delete
  3. This: "Looking for my place in the world is such an old habit that I forget to stop and consider that I may have already found it..."

    That is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about 'brilliant' but it sure is true for me. I suppose another way of saying it is that I forget to count my blessings.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful memory and your vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a feel good post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Merry and Anonymous! I'm glad you both enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  6. Reading about the self-appointed roles of many of the residents at your CCC reminded me of the many senior citizens who impact communities all over the world. Truly, there would be a horrible void without those faithful volunteers.

    My gosh, The Lady in Red was released nearly 40 years ago?! That doesn't seem possible. Hold onto every sweet memory, Jean, and keep on listening to your favorite music. It just makes life better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Volunteers really do fill an important role in the world, don't we. Thanks for reminding me of that.

      Delete
  7. Boy did this resonate! I pretty much only listen to classical music at home and the local R&R station in the car, but every now and then something will come on that may not even be 'the song', but have a chord or riff that makes a memorable song pop into thought. ALWAYS emotional. Some scents will do the same thing. This was a lovely post Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this post connected with you. Also good to know as a blogger.

      Delete
  8. First Mahjong is a game I do not know how to play
    Next music stirs so many emotions in the human soul as well as awaking so many memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahjong is really challenging. I just finished playing and my head is mush!

      Delete
  9. Despite my aching face, you made me smile. Most of us have a sentimental something ... song, scent, food. And I'm glad we do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Age does come with a few good perks---our memories being one of them.

      Delete
  10. I wore a very flattering red dress to my 20th high school reunion. The father of my children asked me to dance when the dj played this song. I never felt more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet there is an army of women world wide who have great, romantic memories attached to this song. The words really fit your dance setting to a tee.

      Delete
  11. Oddly, I didn't remember a song called "Lady in Red," and I didn't think I'd heard of Chris de Burgh, but as soon as I heard the first couple of measures of the song, I realized I knew it. That particular song doesn't hold any memories for me, but there are songs that can evoke particular times and places in a flash. Simon & Garfunkle's "Hazy Shade of Winter" is one. I listen to it every now and then just to take a sentimental trip to my second floor apartment in an old house in Cedar Falls, Iowa, while I was in college. But the one that always does me in is Iris DeMent's "Our Town". I cry every time I listen to it, except sometimes I dont' just cry, I bawl like a baby. I suppose it's a combination of knowing what's been lost, and knowing what's yet to be lost--and yet I love the song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the first song you named and I thought I knew the second one until I listened to it.Totally different than what I expected. It reminded me of what I used to call hillbilly music....that twang in her voice, I suppose. I've bawled at a few songs myself, one that always gets me is the Beatles "Yesterday". I always enjoy your comments. Thank you.

      Delete
  12. ❤️💕❤️💕❤️💕
    —-Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Music is SO reminiscent for me. Specific songs bring back specific times and relationships. I loved Lady in Red and haven't heard it in ages. And I love your attached memory. :-)

    It's great that you have taken such a shine to Mahjong. Haven't ever played it, but I am sure it's great for our aging minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet every woman whose ever had a red dress and felt special in it relates to that song. He sang it recently at a huge event but he doesn't sound as good at this original one. True of all our old favorites.

      Mahjong is great for aging minds. It's hard to learn and you have to think right to left instead of left to right for all but one play which isn't all the easy for Westerners.

      Delete
  14. I have a lot of Memories associated with certain Music, mostly I think about certain People that those Songs are what I associate with the Song. A Song I always Hated for example, my Dad would make fun of me disliking it so much that when I hear it now I Smile and think of him and say, "Dad... was this a Special Request from the Hereafter?" *LOL* Some Songs my Mom just Loved I never thought much about the actual Lyrics of until after she Died, then I realized the Meaning she must have associated with that Song and the Lyrics that were profound to her at certain Seasons of her Life. Music is something I've always loved a wide genre of, now on my Series Station in the Truck I have it on a Spa Music Station which has calmed me as a defensive Driver in the City. *Winks* All of us are highly Amused by the Names of these Spa Music Songs... I think a lot of the Writers must have been quite High when they came up with the Song Names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom loved music too and I never appreciated how much music I heard in the first ten years of my life....all pop songs from the 40's. Like you certain songs bring me back to my dad or my mom. I think I would have liked your dad.

      Delete
  15. I'm impressed you actually had a letter answered by Ann Landers. Your mention of that triggered my memory of her poll asking parents if they had it to do over again, would they have children? I believe something like 70% said no. Maybe that's what inspired today's childless cat ladies! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of a sad statistic, isn't it. But back then parenthood wasn't the choice it is today (let's hope we can keep it that way). I imagine a lot of parents back when Ann Landers took that poll were forced into marriages because a baby came along. Have you seen the 'childless dog guy' tee-shirts and 'childless dog ladies'. I love how the democracies turned that insult into a battle cry.

      Delete
  16. I'd forgotten about the Red Hat Society! I remember seeing groups of older women at the mall, wearing their hats, dining together. Seemed like it was fun, but don't know that any chapter is still around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are still around but in smaller numbers than when I was in it---Wikipedia says 35,000+ members. It's still big and growing in other countries though. Younger women who've never been stay-at-home homemakers aren't as attracted to a group whose main function is to have fun and go on adventures together.

      Delete
  17. Oh, I love this story. So, so sweet. Since I'm quite concerned about my memory problems, I intend to make this song list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to make play lists on cassettes for road trips so this is similar----a trip of another kind.

      Delete
  18. This story is so powerful and cute! Music and memory are so interconnected. I am a carpet cleaner and just this last week I was cleaning in a house while the customer worked upstairs. They listened to their music loud and the song, "Your Song" by Sir Elton John came on. It brought back so many sweet memories of when my husband and I met and started dating.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just realized I haven't been receiving the email when you publish on Wednesdays. I'd like to reinstate that email, or if "that's not the way it works anymore".... Thank you; I really enjoy your writing and perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how it works either! I know the service purges the mailing list when someone hasn't opened their notice for x number of weeks in a row. If you don't get one this coming Wednesday, you're best bet is to use the sign-up box in the right hand column and sign up again. Sorry about that! And thank you for following my blog.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.