Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Another Walk in the Woods



My head felt like a Forth of July sparkler with ideas shooting in all directions then burning out one after another. Nothing lasted long enough to ignite the fire of my imagination. Usually on Saturdays I pop out of bed with an idea or two to write about for my Wednesday blog post, but yesterday I had nothing. So I loaded my dishwasher, another Saturday chore---I'm nothing if not predictable---then I headed down to breakfast which others here call 'lunch' hoping the table conversation would spark a topic for me to write about.

Two people living here in my continuum care complex get up at 4:30 in the morning and they were at the lunch table. Guess who gets pressed into service when someone needs an early morning ride to the airport. These two couldn't be any more different from one another. The woman used to be a kindergarten teacher and she's never left that mindset behind of being like Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music in charge of entertaining and taking care of the Van Tripp family children. She's our little Miss Mary Sunshine, always ready to lead us in song when it's someone's birthday or pop out of her chair to grab something for a fellow diner. And she seems to enjoy her self-appointed Cheerleader role here in Old People Land.

The guy who is the early riser comes off like the iconic old duffer who yells "Get off my lawn!" at kids and dogs alike. A surly-acting man who pretends he doesn't like anything or anybody. I suspected and his wife confirmed that he's a jokester and his surliness is just an act. But there's certain kinds of humor that works when we're young and have a brighter sparkle in our eyes that doesn't work as well when we're old and have been delivering the same jokes for decades. God bless the spouses who can still laugh and cue the rest of us in on how to react at times like that. But he will do anything for anyone and he has appointed himself the package delivery guy and that's no small favor if you get a box that needs a dolly retrieved from the parking garage to move that package from the mail room to our apartments.

For lunch I had an omelette and ordered a taco salad as a take-out for Sunday and then I got out of Dodge---speaking of tired jokes---because the conversation was nothing to write home about. (Oh, no, please tell me that my brain is not getting stuck on trite phrases!) As writers we're supposed to avoid things like 'back in a flash', 'easier said than done', 'busy as a bee' and my personal favorite ' better late than never'. That last one was put into action when after leaving our cafe and I checked out our newly paved trail in the woods. The trail takes us past beautiful sugar maples and other trees I can't name and it's wide enough that our golf cart can take people from the assisted living and memory care building into the woods. My brother would have loved that. The trail also allows me to by-pass walking by the building where he lived which has been hard to do this summer.

Today it was so quiet in the woods that I pulled my walker over and sat awhile to pretend I was out in the real wildness instead of our tiny oasis smack dab in the middle of a busy city. You would not believe some of the heated debates a few of the residents here have had at the lunch table about getting this trail repaved. It was so broken up that it wasn't safe and it was narrow but several people thought the money spend wasn't worth it. It wasn't even our money. It came from a private foundation whose sole mission is to support this non-profit campus. That didn't stop the complainers who thought we residents should have a say in all improvements made. The debates are endless. "We need the lawn to go down to the lake's shoreline!" "No, we need to keep the natural grasses and weeds for the birds, bees and the butterflies!" By the way, I don't use a walker full-time. Only when I walk outside. I've seen too many black and blue and stitched up faces and other body parts on people who've tripped on the sidewalks around our campus.

Have you read Bill Bryson's book, A Walk in the Woods? It was also made into a movie starting Robert Redford. It's a true story about walking the Appalachian Trail which runs 2,193 miles starting in New Hampshire down through Georgia. It takes a whole summer to hike its wooded, mountainous terrain. I didn't even know it existed back when I might have dreamed of doing it. By the time I learned about it the best my aging body could do was to get on a reading binge about hiking the Triple Crown. "The Triple Crown," according to FKT.com, "consists of the Big Three National Scenic Trails: The Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail and the Continental Divide Trail. Completing the Triple Crown requires about 7,900 miles of hiking through 22 US States." The culture of the long distance hikers who take on challenges like these trails is fascinating as is any hobby-turned-into-a-passion when you take the time to look under the hood. 

When one of the best known hikers, Heather Anderson, was asked about what she thought about while long-distance hiking she said, "I think about a lot of things. I think about food, macaroni and cheese, hot coffee, ice cream, milkshakes, hamburgers... pretty much anything that's not in my backpack. I think about how bad I smell. And how much I'm looking forward to the next time I get to do laundry and take a shower. Even though it's rather pointless since I'll smell again within 24 hours. I think about the way the sun plays on the water, on the trees, and creates shadows. I think about the birds of prey that swoop overhead. I think about the sound my feet make as they rhythmically strike the trail. I think about how far I have to go and how far I've gone...I think about how absolutely beautiful it is to be out here. And how very lucky I am. I think about what I want to do with my life when I grow up. And I think about how I am already grown up and still haven't figured out what I want to do with my life....And sometimes, I think about absolutely nothing."

Until my husband's stroke when I was 58 years old I never felt like a grownup and I still don't know what I want to do with my life. Maybe that's because we didn't have any kids to force the issue? Being responsible for someone else's life does change you. (Please don't tell JD Vance I said that. He already thinks childless women are to society like barnacles are to sea turtles that can slow them down so the they can't swim anymore and die.) Or maybe I was just too self absorbed to realize I had grown up and that no one has all the answers as to why we're here on earth. I just know I'd like to be like our Cheerleader or Package Delivery Guy who both seem content with the niches they've made for themselves in our small pond of players. Many residents here have taken on self-appointed roles---social director, mayor, florist, management suck-up, food critic, complainer-in-chief and so on.

Whatever the reason I was late in growing up that drive to find oneself is why the hiking genre of books appeals to me. Hikers all seem to be looking for themselves. That's me in a nutshell, looking for myself while living avariciously through the lives of the doers which---come to think of it---is not unlike many of my peers who take (too much?) pride in the accomplishments of their kids and grandkids as if they themselves had gotten the full-ride scholarship or the fancy-ass job title or are on the verge of reinventing the wheel. One day when this kind of brag-fest was the featured conversation at a lunch table I added that I once had a poodle who could do circus tricks. Everyone laughed. Could this be my purpose, to make people laugh when they start taking themselves too seriously? Maybe. One time the Art Professor sat down at the table and said, "Oh, good, Jean is here! I know we're going to laugh when she's here."

Until Next Wednesday.  

 


38 comments:

  1. No walking in the woods for me, I struggle to walk to the top of the driveway, your daily life seems more interesting then mine, I go nowhere, see no one and do bugga all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our worlds do get smaller and smaller as we age, don't they. Lots of people in our assisted living building struggle to walk. That's why this trail and our golf cart are such assesses to our campus. You live in a fascinating country. I'll bet you could tell great stories about your life Down Under before the stroke contrasted with the adjustments you've had to make since.

      Delete
  2. When you describe the various personalities on your campus, it reminds me that most of us are looking for a purpose, but we also love the comfort of living in our own skin. How wonderful that you have the wooded area near your campus! For those who fought against investing in the pathway, I have two words: Forest Bathing. The research is in and appears solid. Being in nature provides more benefits than I have space to list. Love the line about your poodle doing circus tricks. You make me laugh. Yes, that's one of your gifts, and it's a good one to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that term Forest Bath before and forgot all about it! It's perfect to describe the after effects of being in one. Thank you for that! I can't wait to announce that I'm off to do some forest bathing when a certain few are at lunch.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your walk in the woods as you truly have beautiful surroundings. I write a monthly article and sometime have writers block, can’t imagine writing one weekly. You are my Wednesday highlight as you are the first thing I read upon awakening. Hopefully your creative juices flow for many more years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing is so good for us and I've found the best way though writer's block is just to sit down and to write. You might end up throwing out the first few paragraphs or pages before your creative minds kicks in but it does work for me.

      Delete
  4. FWIW, I have kids and grandkids and am still immediately bored by people going on about their kids like the accomplishments are their own. Blech.

    Making people laugh isn't the worst role you could have. :-) Also, if you haven't read Wild by Cheryl Strayed, it's a great hiking book too. It was made into a movie with Reese Witherspoon, although I haven't watched it. I'm usually disappointed by a movie when I loved the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added it to my Amazon wish list. It sounds just like my kind of book. I'm truly amazed by people who attempt those trails alone. I didn't like the Walk in the Woods movie as well as the book. It's rare when the movie is better than the book.

      Delete
  5. There's nothing wrong with being Comic Relief. Every king had his Court Jester. Think of yourself as Bringer Of Joy.

    People are proud of the strangest things--having a large number of grand- and great-grandchildren; being very old; living as a child without indoor plumbing, etc. I don't understand why those are things of which to be so vain and proud. Many are circumstances beyond that person's direct control and are downright (forgive me) dumb. They aren't personal achievements that required intelligence, effort, or great character.

    I think improving the forest path is a terrific use of funds. Communing with Nature is a proven stress reliever. Perhaps the facility could get someone to take interested residents on a Nature Walk and identify some of the trees and plants you see along the path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same foundation that repaved the trail is planing to put signs on various plants and trees. There some endangered species on campus. The Life Enrichment Director is in charge of "nature drives" because we residents aren't allowed to drive the golf cart. My upstairs neighbor was a botanist and another neighbor had a high up job in the DNR. Between the two of them and our cell phone cameras it's easy to get anything IDed. Our wooded walkway isn't long, an urban block but on either end are tree covered roadways into campus and I can see them and the trail beginning from my apartment.

      Court Jester. I kind of like that title.

      Delete
  6. Quite often, people are not just one thing. You may be funny but you are also an artist, a writer, a reader, a caregiver, etc., etc. So your helpers or your florist or your complainer may have lots of other descriptions that would fit them, too.
    I love to walk in the woods and I'm glad that they fixed up that path for you and your fellow residents so you can enjoy it safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about us all being multifaceted. I think we retired people are freer than working people to zero in on what we like to do the most and so that becomes what others see first. Our self-appointed florist, for example, owned his own shop and does arrangements does arrangements for our lobby and parties. But he was also a long-time caregiver to his wife who died just before moving in---she as to come here too. He sings in a well known choir around town and is always throwing private parties.

      Delete
  7. I'm a proponent of forest bathing. Kudos to the CCC for improving the trail making it safer & more accessible. I watched A Walk in the Woods with Robert Redford & Nick Nolte. I was drawn to it because of the actors. I saw it as a coming of age story for retirement-aged people. It introduced me to Bill Bryson's writing & also Lord Huron, an Indie band featured in the sound track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to describe that book and movie! I don't remember the music but I think Netflix still has it on their line up. I'll have to watch it again. It's been awhile. I do like Bill Bryson's writing.

      Delete
  8. Well, you always make us laugh -- or usually do (except when you are being more serious, which even then you usually find a bit that makes us smile). And there's much to be said for that -- much to be said for being a spot we love to come to because we know we will be enriched and leave with a good feeling or something to think about. And, like the others you mentioned here at the end, you are also a writing group organizer and mah jong teacher! You've made your mark, I think -- there, and especially here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about what my mark on this place is and I came up with mahjong being the biggest mark because I've taught so many to play and keep us organized each week so we play with different people each time plus set up all the games before it's time to play. Right now my mentor and I are in the beginning stage of setting up a tournament with our sister campus. In January I'll teach another round of classes.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, complainer in chief so aptly described my husband’s great aunt who reached a point where that was all she ever did around family. Not a role to aspire to. You have a great way of clearly describing people’s personalities in a few words. Walking in the woods sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people's personalities around here alight with the professions they had before retirement. Our Complainer-in-Chief, for example, used to be in charge of the airport grounds maintenance and he forgets he can no longer snap his fingers and make things happen.

      Delete
  10. Twice a day, weather permitting, I take my old Chihuahua to the little park behind our library. On the second visit, usually in the early evening, I plunk him in his doggie stroller and we go for a half hour walk in the west end of town where there aren't so many tourists. Even though we've done this for at least five years now, there are still many things to see and enjoy: the architecture of the old buildings, the trees changing through the seasons, the flowers around the Catholic church. I always feel better after our walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I thought Levi was going to move in here with me (before he died) I was going to get him a doggie stroller. I love those and I thought it would be the perfect way to make sure he didn't pee on the hallway carpeting. I need to walk more!!

      Delete
  11. Laughter really is the BEST medicine. So you really are a Doctor of Humor. I love Bill Bryson's books and we used to listen to them while on road trips. Often we would have to pull over because we were laughing so hard we cried! What a talented guy.

    I also enjoy your creative personalities and names for people. People watching is one of my favorite hobbies! We had a little 7lb mutt with a stroller and could take him in stores and restaurants! He just loved being with us and never made a peep. I would even take him on the plane (under the seat in front of me) when I would visit my family in Ohio.

    Now I am a Hermit who is so happy to live with my family so people don't think I'm really a hermit (and not for religious reasons). I was such an entertaining extrovert for 25 years, I just wore myself out, I think. Glad to do it while I was younger and it certainly was good for his international business acquaintances ... rarely do other countries invite people in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted a tiny dog like that but I kept trusting breeders and ended up with bigger ones.

      I can see how traveling the world as a corporate wife could wear you out. But you sure had a lot of great experiences.

      Delete
    2. If you can make people laugh you are contributing a lot. More power to you! ❤️
      —-Cheerful Monk

      Delete
  12. I am obsessed with hiking vlogs of the triple crown trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great! I never could have hiked those trails even in my prime. Back then I was allergic to so many trees and grasses it wasn't funny. I would have been a walking mass of hives.

      Delete
    2. I am another one who is obsessed with the vlogs of people walking the three trails. I discovered them early in the pandemic and swear those vlogs got me through the lockdown! I could never have done it for so many reasons (bugs, for one) but I sure take vicarious pleasure in following along.
      Nina

      Delete
    3. We can live vicariously through others with the vlogs.

      Delete
  13. I just realized I have Bill Bryson's book Walking in the Woods in my pile to be read. So I just moved it to the top of the pile, and I'll read it next. I've read several books you've recommended and liked them all (the most recent was Mad Honey, which was very interesting). I so wish I could try Forest Bathing, but being in a wheelchair, I haven't been able to manage it. It sounds wonderful, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully Bryson will give you a taste of what's it's like being in the woods. The book isn't as good a Mad Honey but, in my opinion few books are.

      Delete
  14. I have a couple of friends who've done some through-hiking; both took on the Pacific Crest trail, and completed it. As much time as I spend in the woods/prairies/marshes, that kind of hiking doesn't appeal to me. To put it in boating terms, I'm a cruiser, not a racer. I love being in nature, and prefer (mostly) going by myself, so I can wander, dawdle, or change directions as I please. I sometimes say I'm like the bear who went over the mountain; I go out to see what I can see.

    I am glad to read that your paths were re-done. That's one of the things they did at the Dudney Nature Center. Now, there's room for everyone: mostly walkers and bird watchers, but also occasional dog walkers. Bicycles, skateboards, and rollerblading aren't allowed, which is good -- there are a lot of older people who walk there.

    Your reflections did remind me of a great Mary Oliver poem. It just might be the other side of the through-hiking coin:

    It isn’t very far as highways lie.
    I might be back by nightfall, having seen
    the rough pines, and the stones, and the clear water.
    Friends argue that I might be wiser for it.
    They do not hear that far-off Yankee whisper:
    How dull we grow from hurrying here and there!
    Many have gone, and think me half a fool
    To miss a day away in the cool country.
    Maybe. But in a book I read and cherish,
    Going to Walden is not so easy a thing
    As a green visit. It is the slow and difficult
    Trick of living, and finding it where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised the through-hiking doesn't appeal to you. You like to savor what you see too such and from my understanding to hike one of the Triple Crown you have to stay on a schedule to get it completed in a summer.

      I love Oliver's term "green visit" but I also love "forest bath". The latter though doesn't really describer our tiny patch of woods, so doing a green visit makes more sense around here. Thanks for sharing her poem.

      Delete
    2. I've never been a long-distance hiker, but hiking at least a few times every year has always been part of my life. You can't live in NW Washington and ignore the pleasure of walking through the forest to a waterfall or a mountain view.
      I enjoyed your discussion about wondering what we want to be, even at an advanced age.

      Delete
    3. Washington State is one of the very few I haven't been to but I've heard it's really pretty up there.

      I don't know if it's sad or something to be proud of that I'm still searching for my place i the world. On one hand it feels like I'm unappreciative of the blessings in my life but on the other hand it feels like the still looking is part of the adventure of being a live.

      Delete
  15. I once had dreams of hiking the Appalachian Trail (which ends here in Maine at the summit of Mt. Katahdin), but it was not to be. I did read Bill Bryson's (very funny) account of his attempt. (I'm a big Bill Bryson fan; my favorites among his books are "Notes from a Small Island" and "I'm a Stranger Here Myself.") I believe that a belly laugh a day is good for health -- both physical and mental. When my mother was in a nursing home during the last year of her life, I made the 200-mile trip to visit her every other week and stayed for a few days. One of my goals during the visit was always to make her laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Bill's style of writing.

      I thought I had a long trip to stay with my dad when he needed some oversight and it was only 60 some miles. 200 miles is true devotion. Your goal was a worthy one, and good for both of you.

      Delete
  16. The Wooded Oasis and Path is beautiful and idyllic. I think the complainers probably would complain about anything and everything, lacking appropriate appreciation for gifts that are funded by benevolent Givers who've paid for it all for their benefit. I'm glad that the CCC has such Supporters who make these types of improvements for the Residents to enjoy, I'd be making a daily Ritual of the Wood Walk. I think your 'nothing' Post actually had a very Positive stream of consciousness that just developed and made for an enjoyable Post. Being the one that your Friends there say will ensure a Laugh is quite the Compliment Jean and if indeed that is meant to be your Purpose, it's a really important one to most people. Isn't it just great to Laugh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could walk the woods this time of the year but I'm highly allergic to something that in the air in the woods in the early fall. Poison ivy pollen, not the oil on the plant although I'm allergic to that too. In my entire childhood I never started school with the other kids because I was a miss of hives so bad my eyes were just tiny slits.

      I do love to laugh and making people laugh. I used to be so much better at both when I was younger.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.