Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Sentimental Holiday Feelings

Watching the line dancers doing a Christmas performance it hit me what a close knit community we’ve built here at the continuum care facility. A few tears rolled down my cheeks as I thought about the overlapping Circles of Friendships that have developed since our campus opened. Most of us have found our Tribes---those people in our inner, middle and outer circles. And the best part is that everyone’s Circle of Friendships connect to make this place a warm and accepting place to live despite (or maybe because of) our individual foibles and idiosyncrasies. We’re truly a microcosm of a larger community.

Over the two years I’ve been living here I’ve written extensively about those foibles and idiosyncrasies. As I sat looking around I realized I write more about the funny or annoying aspects that I see in my neighbors and not enough about the endearing and admirable side of some of those same people. Heck, I’d sound like I’m living on Movers and Shakers Row if I wrote about the charity work some of these people do. They don’t just belong to do-good groups, they’ve started them or run them. I found out yesterday, for example,  that one of the guy here has helped several of the waitstaff to get college scholarships, using his connections and writing recommendation letters for them. Now I know why we've lost some of our best waitresses.

Seeing the different facets of people is one of the things I like the most living here. I see people who support causes I hate but I can still like and get along with them. Case in point our resident, most avid Trump supporter knows I like pea soup and she always gives me enough for three bowls when she makes it. She loves to cook and is generous to everyone like that. The woman who called me to rally support against the bombed-out gingerbread house makes beautiful bows for packages and does so for anyone who asks and this time of the year she’s been kept very busy. She and I had some similar experiences---I worked in the floral industry for 20 years while she volunteered making floral arrangements for club banquets and parties---and she is ready and willing to help others along those lines. I am not. I selfishly keep my floral arranging talents hidden under a basket.

What brought the tears on and caused this train of thought to come to the surface was a couple who came in late---while the line dancers were doing their thing. The woman was pushing her husband in a newly acquired wheelchair and came close to barging right through the dancers to the point they had to adjust their positions while her husband tried to get her attention to stop. She’s in the middle stage of dementia and until his recent fall he was an extraordinary caregiver to her. He still is but his row is much harder to hoe right now. Not too long after we all moved in I wrote about the first time I found myself at a dinner table with them. I had a mini melt down because she kept shoveling food off her plate and onto mine. I’m kind of a germaphobic and would never eat something that had been on someone else’s used fork. Especially from a total stranger like she was back then. I didn’t know she was having issues with early dementia at the time and I was trying not to show how freaked out I was. Fast forward and I recently saw her refuse to eat a salad because she was afraid of the croutons on top. It’s so much easier to feel compassion when we can look past our own issues and see where others are coming from.

We have another couple here who is very popular. She’s got Lewy Body dementia and a good sense of humor about it. They go everywhere holding hands. (Actually, all the couples on campus do that.) She was my Mahjong mentor two years ago but now occasionally she’ll ask me to clarify a rule and she’d been playing weekly for 35 years. He’s another great caregiver as well as another avid Trump supporter. Although he keeps his politics closer to the vest than the Trumpter mentioned above. Both of them hate Hillary to a point that it shocks me every time they voice it. He’s also the Class Clown and will do anything for a laugh. At the end of the Line Dancers routine, for example, they were asked to huddle together for a photo and The Clown sat on the floor in front of the line dancers for the photo-shoot and just to be clear he’s not a line dancer and didn’t prance around wearing reindeer horns that day like they did.

We have quite a few couples here who I admire for their devotion to each other. One couple is in their mid-nineties, super sweet to each other and to others, super religious but you don’t want to mention transgender issues around them because she thinks all the public schools are trying to make children change their sex. Boys into girls and girls in to boy for God only knows why we Evil Liberals want to do that. Then there’s the couple we could easily nickname the Complaint Department. Nothing is ever good enough for them---not the food service, not the cleaning crew, not the grounds keepers. I couldn’t live inside their skin but they do hold management’s feet to the fire over some things others collectively care about and wouldn't get done without Mr. and Mrs. Squeaky Wheel. We all have a place in the microcosm.

We have a new couple in my building. I don’t know them well enough to give them a nickname shorter than The Artist and the Eye Candy. They are social and are taking part in various activities, building their Circles of Friendships here which is what you have to do when you're the new kid on the block. Network until you find your Tribes, unfortunately for me they seem to be seeking out other couples for their Tribe. I’d love to get an invitation to see their apartment because I’m told she has an art studio set up in what I use for a den---we have identical floor plans. Her husband is the first man in my age bracket I’ve seen in ages who can take my breath away just by looking at him. Be still my heart. He’s so good looking! And immaculately groomed. A sharp dresser. They seem devoted to each other in that touchy-feely way that lets you know they are still attracted to one another which seems to be a requirement for couples living in a continuum care complex. 

I’m guessing that happy couples are disproportionately represented in places like this. The couples moving into CCC’s want to be sure their spouses are cared for after they’re gone---that’s a fact. Just ask and they’ll all tell you that. But I’m also guessing that husbands and wives who’ve fallen out of 'love' or 'like' don't want to be locked into a CCC. They both probably hope they'll be the last one standing and they don't want their finances tied up in a non-refundable jointly chosen life style. That’s my theory, anyway, based on no research and no anecdotal evidence.

Until Next Wednesday… ©

Photo: The guy at the top is not my new neighbor but they could have been cut from the same cloth. He's an actor, model and photographer named Andreas von Tempslhoff, age 75.

39 comments:

  1. Thank you for the touching post! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I picture you and your husband to be the hand holding type.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I could bite my tongue in some of these circumstances... I get physically ill at the word trump (no capital letter for them). No love for Hillary either as I just can't get past people who commit crimes running for office. maybe Biden will let someone run (please).

    I continue to look at CCC's here in Portland, as well as studio apts walking distance for the boys (and parents) The Grands still get along really well and have bunk beds but always say they'd rather have Gramma here than to each have their own room.

    Hope you enjoyed the fun and the food of Christmas ... can't wait to hear about NYE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken Starr investigated the Clinton's for years and spend millions of tax payer dollars in his roll as a special independent counsel, but other than Bill's affair there was no criminal activity to find. So far the Republicans trying to impeach Biden can't find a crime in his closet either to name unless you want to hold him accountable for his son's crimes. Living in a place like this is like living with an extended family. You hold your tongue to get along. If I said things along the lines I wrote above, they'd say something back and before you know it half of us wouldn't be speaking to the others. We save our political talk for Tuesday nights.

      Those boys are getting big! Before you know it they'll be driving you around instead of the other way around. I think you're wise to stay living close by.

      Delete
  3. Andreas is still Hot and has a Cool Name too. *Winks* When I see older Couples devoted to each other it is Heartwarming and I agree with you that seeking out a CCC as a Couple and Investing in one is yet another expression of that loving devotion. I loved this Post Jean, it is so accurate and uplifting, people are complex Beings, so parts we can like and parts we can be against. But, getting to KNOW one another and what is endearing about each Human and why they behave in less endearing ways would go a long way in creating a Harmony and acceptance. I can like someone and not like everything about them. I can also dislike some people and then as I know them better, bond easier or be more accepting. There is a Woman at Work named Mary that I've disliked for Years. Until this past Year for some inexplicable reason she's gone out of her way to confide in me. Which was Weird, since, she had to realize I didn't like her. I am 100% with people, tho' not wanting to be hurtful to anyone I dislike either... I know I can not be nice sometimes and Mary always irritated me, so, we'd had our moments. *LOL* Well, after knowing so much more about her, and KNOWING her better, like you said so eloquently in this Post, there are things about her that I truly LIKE and softened my Heart towards her. Now I would say we get along very well and I tend to see the better parts of her and not just the irritants. I think the part you mentioned about the MAGA people is often so True and so frustrating to me tho', many seem to be good people that I LIKE, and yet their devotion to that MAGA abhorrent Cause is so deeply disturbing to me and so toxic, well, I cannot understand how a good person can align with it I guess? Like I said, people are complex Beings and some we never may figure out. But I am so Happy that you and I moved to good Communities where overall the Collective makes for a great place to live, in spite of foibles and flaws. It makes all the difference in quality of Life, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What great comments, Dawn. It makes me feel like a did a good job describing my community---all it's sides and foibles. You understand it!!! Sometimes when I write about this place I feel bad that I've left the impression that the people are either one way or another with no gray in between.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this side of what living there has been like for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to do it for a long time. There is one person who comes here to read and occasionally comments that this place sounds like high school and that stresses me out that I haven't done a good enough job writing to have left that impression.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it is hard to remember that even people with disagree with can have some good points. You've described that nicely here. I do flower-arranging with a volunteer group in town and we try to avoid politics when certain people are around as we don't all agree. But they are nice women who enjoy this craft and so we get along for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the best times we have here are brought to us by our resident Trump supporters. They can be a lot of fun to be around when they aren't taking pot-shots had Democrats which doesn't happen every day or even every week. I seems to be an unspoken rule everywhere that we all back off when politics comes up. I know it's necessary to keep the peace but I often wonder if that was the right approach early on when Trump first came on the scene. Too many of us treated hm like a joke who'd go away soon but he wasn't a joke and didn't go away. Now it's too late for two sided political conversations---neither side listens. We got through the Clinton years of investigates and I'm hoping we'll be able to do the same with Trump.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for such a heartwarming post, Jean! All of us have faults, but most have endearing qualities, too. What a gift it is to each resident when people show grace and mercy. It changes the atmosphere--it changes your mind and heart when people look for the good. I believe those who look for good always find it.

    I hope you're having a great holiday season and wish you and your ccc family a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that when we look for the good in others we find it. Same for those who always look to find fault in others. Collectively we've been through so much stress in recent years what with the world in crisis mode over climate control, school shootings, trying to recover from the Covid years, the political unrest and wars. It's more important than ever to for us to, as you said, "show grace and mercy."

      Happy holidays to you too, Pam, and to everyone else reading this.

      Delete
  7. Lovely post, Jean. Your experience with CCRC has led me to investigate something like that for my husband and me when we are ready. I have found three CCRCs near us that we are looking into for the future -- we are coming up with a 5-10 year plan for selling and moving to somewhere else and CCRC seems like a good option to consider. This article was interesting... I typed in my state and several came up for me to check out.
    https://www.newsweek.com/rankings/americas-best-continuing-care-retirement-communities-2024

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typed in my town and only one came up and it's down the street from where my CCC is located. You should set a google alert for those three places near you so when they have campaigns you'll know it. These kinds of place all offer free lunches, tours and often entertainment for people in our age bracket as part of their marketing plans. I did a lot of them before I settled on here.

      Delete
  8. You shouldn't feel as though you only present the quirky side of people...you've made many, many admiring comments about most of your community and as Dawn said, we all understand people are complicated. Nonetheless, this was a lovely post and just what I needed today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first crime that republicans pinned on Hillary was that she stood by her man after his public affair. I find this hilarious as this seems to be one of the cornerstones of their political party! I remember the sneers that she sat by him on that couch. Whenever the repugs in the office started harping on Hillary about it - I would agree with them! I said her crime was forgiving her husband - I would have shanked him. They would say - ah, ah, ah, ah. I have had to cut any r's from my life. My blood pressure can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about where the Hillary stuff started. You're right and it is funny because isn't forgiveness one of the pillars of most religions? Given the public life they led a divorce would have kept the scandal alive all the longer. And you don't see Republicans putting Melania down for sticking by Trump.

      Delete
  10. I hope you get to see The Artist's studio set up one day, Jean. Although, with her handsome hubby there might be some strategy to aligning only with other couples 😉. Not that it's a failsafe way to avoid straying but a lot of married women give widows and divorcees the automatic side eye, in my experience. I find it hard to reconcile that people with extreme right wing views can also exhibit selfless and empathic behaviours, but you made an excellent point on how complex (and contradictory) we humans are. All the best to you for 2024!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about wives of handsome men keeping them close to the vest, so to speak, and not take them around widowed or divorced women. I don't think that's what's going on here. I think when a couple comes into a close knit place like this it's the other couple who extend a hand in friendship first by asking the newbie couple to share a dinner table with them. Where the singes usually don't.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's true too. I never (and still don't) put myself out there much because I don't want anyone to think I am "on the hunt" and I am sure other singles feel the same way. I also thought that since a lot of women are the "social directors" for their husbands it makes sense to link up to other couples.

      Delete
  11. What a great post! We live in a retirement community in the winter, and you have NAILED what it's like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! I feel a responsibility to not bad-mouth or sugar-coat the experience of living in a retirement community. Thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  12. This was a lovely post Jean. Just the other day Rick and I were holding hands and my niece said I think it's so sweet that you've always held her hand Uncle Ricky and he responded with a teasing smile, Well now my dear it's to hold on and not fall. That made her laugh. She knew it was partly true but yes we are that couple in both ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, there is that aspect of not falling or getting lost that accounts for part of the hand holding here, too. LOL

      Delete
  13. A damn good post, I can't imagine living in that type of community but you do make it sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives me something to write about and that's a plus for me.

      Delete
  14. Lovely post. I really enjoy hearing about the folks there. I don't know how I would deal with the Trumpsters. I tend to just stay away from those folks for fear they will utter his name. Interesting about the hatred for Hillary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of makes sense that they've been programmed to hate Hillary because she was running against their 'man' and I use that term loosely here. Real men are not as self-centered as Trump.

      Delete
  15. This may be one of the most beautiful posts I've ever read -- and quite possibly one of the most important for us all to read, know and understand. You have found the good in those with whom you might disagree or not particularly care for and honored that. And, as you illustrated, you have grown, too -- and isn't it nice that we can still do that, even with our years? This really deserves a wider audience than your blog -- you should send it out to the universe (or the NYTimes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God no! A wider audience could get me outed here on the CCC and then I'd have to go into the Federal Witness Protection Program. Lol But thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  16. Great post. I love your ability to see people in full. It’s hard to do with some people, but I find if we can live in the gray, life is easier and more pleasant. Living in close contact with so many people with various opinions, it’s a great attitude. The Trumpers can be the hardest for me, but I have some in my family that I love, so there is that. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some Trumpters in my family too and it's so hard to understand how they could be so blind but they probably feel the same about me. In families, we know enough not to talk about him, don't we.

      Delete
  17. I was especially moved by the resident who is helping staff to apply for and get scholarships. What a truly altruistic act! That's really making a difference in someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't expect that out of a retired lawyer, would you.

      Delete
  18. One of the most interesting comments I've heard about our current national situation came from a local radio host. He noted that politics has become like sports: not in the sense that we buy popcorn and sit back to watch (although that is part of it), but in the sense that we've divided into two teams, and the entire goal is to be on the winning team -- no matter what. I could go on about that at some length -- I think there's a lot of truth there -- but what occurred to me while reading your post is that the "we'll just not talk about that" approach may have more value than we realize. "Winning over" is quite different from "defeating," and occasionally building bridges where we can is the best thing we can do.

    I always like to remember the lines from Emily Dickinson: "Tell all the truth, but tell it slant; success in circuit lies..." Some of her poetry is utterly beyond me, but that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waffle back and forth between thinking we need more communication about politics in the public square, down here in the trenches and agreeing with you that we shouldn't talk about them in public. Not talking about tough topics certainly keeps it peaceful but it also helps spread lies when no one is willing to confront the misinformation that the more vocal ultra-conservatives don't mind quoting as "fact."

      Dickinson is telling us to spin the truth. A good guide to that poem is at: https://www.supersummary.com/tell-all-the-truth-but-tell-it-slant/summary/ I get what she's saying but I don't think that applies across the board. But then again don't we all slant our own Truths?

      Delete
  19. Jean, I've fallen off the blogging wagon in recent months, some I'm trying to catch up on missed posts (at least the half dozen or so most recent). Since I think most of us become more strongly ourselves as we grow older, I appreciated the wisdom of trying to find and value each person's unique gifts. This post also reminded me that retirement communities each have their own "personality" and that it's important to be aware of your own needs and tolerances in choosing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about CCC's all have their own personalities. That's why it's important to visit the ones you might someday be thinking of moving into. Talk to people who live there, walk around see how friendly (or not) they are, see how long their waiting list is. Go to their free lunches, pickup heir newsletters if they have them. Ask about their online presents to follow. Welcome back to the blog world!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.