Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

A New Year: It’s Just Us Now


The end of 2023 has come and gone and except for a party on New Year’s Eve that started at 6:00 and ended at 8:30 there’s nothing earth-shaking to report on from my little corner of the world. It did crack me up that the social committee here at the continuum care complex planned a party that ended (on purpose) long before midnight. I don’t remember ever going to bed on New Year’s Eve before midnight. This year, I went to bed shortly after midnight and after watching Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen get silly over John Mayer celebrating in a Cat Bar in Tokyo. They couldn't stop laughing. If you don't know what a cat bar is it's one where patrons can interact with cats---lots of them. There are cat coffee houses cat cafes and deli's, too. I know! All those crazy cats ladies missed the boat, not monetizing their obsession before now.

Our party here was resident driven which means management provided the space and we did everything else. If I didn’t personally know and like the three residents who provided the entertainment I would say it was pretty bad, but friendships count so I would never, ever say that around here. We each brought a dish of finger foods to pass. My go-to party passing finger foods always involves Phyllo Shells. They might be stuffed with a good quality cheese or something like this year when I used American Spoon Lemon Curd topped with a touch of shaved walnuts and a few crystals of Sparking Sugar. We had so much food at this party that it's a wonder no one went into a blissful food coma requiring we call an ambulance.

My parents had life-long friends and I can’t think of New Year’s without remembering the many times the families celebrated New Year’s Eve together. One family’s house would become party central for grownups and another family’s home would become party central for the kids. We kids had a sleep-over with a babysitter in charge and the next morning the adults would all gather where the kids stayed the night and they’d cook a huge brunch before taking us kids to the roller rink for the afternoon. I'm still impressed with how they made sunny-side eggs on cookie sheets in the oven.

That tradition marked well over a dozen New Year's Eves in my life. And it’s just occurred to me to ask where did the parent’s sleep? Did they have a slumber party as well? I do remember them all calling at midnight to wish us kids a Happy New Year and that went on long after we kids had out-growth the slumber parties. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander so fast forward to when my parents stayed in and Don and I would call them from our New Year’ Eve parties.

When I remember how close my folk’s circle of friends were I have to admit to being jealous. But it was a different era where people were less apt to move out of town, making it easier to nurture life-time friendships. They played cards every month for decades and even took vacations together.

I still have a close friend who I’ve known since kindergarten. She has Alzheimer’s now so her husband has to help her dial the phone. We can talk about things we did in school but... You know how it is, I have to talk to her husband to know how her current days are going. Life changes and we just go along for the ride.

When I visited my brother in the Memory Care building before the party started in my building he asked me if our mother was still alive. "She died in 1983," I told him. Then he said, “It’s just us now.” And it kind of broke my heart---his tone of voice, like he knew we’d both be toast sooner rather than later. His question started a whole conversation about how it feels weird being the two oldest people left in the family. It’s sounds morbid to review how and when everyone died, but it wasn’t because we also told some fun, remember-when stories as well. It just dawned on me that this conversation, a few hours before we sang, “Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?” is probably what made me burst out crying at the party! I never saw it coming. One minute I as smiling and happy and the next minute I was trying not to show my quivering lips and teary eyes.

Tears have been close to the surface this entire holiday season and given the fact that they use music on campus as part of a program to help the dementia residents hold on to their memories I shouldn’t be concerned that maybe I'm depressed and just don't know it. Still, it’s embarrassing to be the cry baby in the group. Old music to induce memories and emotions works too good for me. Classical is the worst. It can make me melancholy in ten minutes.

I’m writing this on New Year’s Day which traditionally I’ve spent putting Christmas stuff away and putting the final touches on my New year's Resolutions. A clinical psychiatrist on the TV playing in the back ground is saying that 37% of people make resolutions. He’s saying we need to be realistic in our goals and only make two or three. 

I was15 the first time I made New Year's Resolutions and I haven't stopped. In recent years, though, I’ve done the mantra version of Resolutions and they’ve worked out great. Last year, for example, my manta/goal/resolution was 'Seek the sweet moments in every day.' Like all my resolutions I did a good job of living that mantra until summer was coming into focus and then my resolve began to stray. Still, it was a good mantra and served me well. 

This year my mantra is harder to explain: ‘Start Where I'm At’ is the short version. The long version is I tend to judge myself by my past level of skills and I come up short every time, then I feel bad about my self-worth. The mantra is to help me to stop judging myself. I'm not 60 anymore so why do I expect myself to be able to carry on a conversation like I could back before a few TIAs messed with my cerebral wiring? Or do crafts as well as when I had opposing thumbs that worked? We can't stop the aging process so each day I need to remember to 'Start Where I'm At' and do the best I can.

Until Next Wednesday!

“If you aim to be something you are not, you will always fail.
Aim to be you.
Aim to look and act and think like you.
Aim to be the truest version of you.
Embrace that you-ness. Endorse it. Love it. Work hard at it.
And don't give a second thought when people mock it or ridicule it.
Most gossip is envy in disguise.” 
 
Matt Haig author of The Midnight Library
 

These were my lemon curd tarts and the photo at the top is of our New Year's eve buffet.


42 comments:

  1. I cry at classical music as well. Music just hits my heart. We enjoyed cheese fondue followed by chocolate fondue. I made it til midnight! My resolution is MOVE MORE. Happy New Year ... and I want a lemon tart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to run into someone else who cries listening to classical music!

      The fondues sound great. I hope they're coming back in popularity. I used to love them.

      Delete
    2. My husband had a huge collection of classical music that dated back to when he was 12 and asked for opera records for his birthday. Music was always drifting down the stairs from his "man cave." Now that he's gone, I can't listen to any music, really. Makes me too sad, especially anything by Puccini.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of a mantra, as you might have guessed. One of mine is "Doing the best I can with what I have left." I recently saw a Christmas joke...it said that Santa should realize that there's a spectrum. Instead of just Naughty and Nice, there should be a third category, "Doing the best I can." Cheers and best wishes for the coming year. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. A realistic approach to New Year resolutions is such a good way to start the new year. I appreciate your blog and will take your words to make my resolution to walk every day "to start where you're at".I hope it works for us both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. 'Start where you're at' is flexible enough so it can apply to so many things.

      Delete
  4. I smiled at the thought of everyone packing up at 8:30 on New Year's Eve, but guess what...I was in bed fast asleep soon after that. We used to stay up (not that long ago), but now I know the value of rest and I don't fight it anymore.

    Jean, I like your mantra for 2024. Most of us could use a big dose of reality and self acceptance. When you mentioned not being able to do what you did when you were 60, something clicked for me. I've been trying very hard to ignore some aspects of growing old, but I want to learn to embrace my reality and make the most of who I am today. Thank you for the nudge! Happy New Year, Jean.

    P.S. I adore lemon tarts and those wouldn't last long at my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2024 should/could be a big year for us. Learning to accept where we're at frees us to have more fun, be more playful.

      In the last two years I've acquired a taste for lemons like I never had before. What's not to like?

      Delete
  5. Self-acceptance is huge. As my friend always says, "Comparison is the thief of Joy." So true, so true.

    You mentioned American Spoon, and wow, do I love their stuff, but they've really gotten pricey. I used to get their rhubarb marmalade for ages, among other wonderful things, and send gift packages to friends. Now they're just too expensive. But I know they're still high quality and very, very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friend is wise!

      I used an entire jar of American Spoon lemon curd for $12.95 for two boxes of tarts shells, but compared to the cost of other pass-around dishes I'm guessing it was respectably in the upper-middle range. I like them because they are so easy and the ingredients have a long shelf life. American Spoon has several flavors that works well with tart shells straight out of the jar. My problem is they don't sell it near by so it's a summer road trip to my favorite tourist town to get it to use for the holidays and I don't drive that far anymore.

      Delete
  6. Gosh, I can't remember the last time I stayed up until midnight on New Year's Eve! I also never make resolutions. I do want to try to do more this year so we shall see if that happens. Your tarts look yummy and lemon is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trader Joe's have a lemon bar you find in the frozen section. Have you ever tried those? I have taken a box of them and cut them into one inch squares to serve and they are popular too. Lemon seems to be a love or hate it kind of flavor profile.

      Delete
  7. Your mantra is perfection, Jean! I too get teary-eyed easily when I hear certain songs, watch certain scenes on TV or at the movies, or heck - even some advertisements (especially at Christmas!) can bring on the waterworks. I try not to be embarrassed and remind myself that it's because I still have a heart! Happy New Year!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put my hands up over my mouth because my lips quiver when I'm trying to stop a cry from coming. Sometimes it works sometimes not. I need to remember what you tell yourself in times like that.

      Delete
  8. "Start where I'm at" is an excellent mantra. I still want the mind, body and energy of 20 years ago and that ship has sailed. I stayed up a little past midnight too and was also a bit weepy. New Years aren't so different from the old ones but this one is the presidential election year; that scares me to death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's like waiting for the other shoe to fall and hoping it won't. At least Iowa isn't so far off which should tell us a lot.

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Jean. Very good blog, as usual! Lots to think about for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an incredibly good mantra. And boy, does it ever hit home! I love that idea. Your lemon tarts look great. I need to remember that one.

    Rick calls me the "at bat" generation in my family. No parents. He's the "on deck" guy -- he still has parents. I guess Kevin, Greg and all are in the bull pen. My whole family is now "at bat" and it's a bit sobering. We had an early NYEve -- a movie, dinner at home, watched a documentary, in bed by 10 or so.But 8:30 is a tad early for a party to end! That kind of cracked me up.

    I feel the friend thing these days. So many of mine have moved elsewhere. We used to have quite a group. Now, not so big. Those near and close are the best of them (I suppose it could have gone the other way) and I "know" loads of people. But the ones you count on, your besties? It shrinks as much from moving as from final farewells. I don't like that at all!

    So, Happy New Year to you. Starting where you are is fabulous. You already ARE fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a new way to look at the party that ended at 8:30...it was a warm up party so we could all go out to the real party later. Not true but it makes a good story.

      Delete
  11. Some Christmas music does it for me. Those childhood New Year's Eve parties sound like so much fun--great memories. Are you still in touch with any of those kids? Maybe one of them knows how the parents spent the evening. There are so many things I wish I would have asked my parents. I tell my sister that she's now the family matriarch on both sides of our family. She's not amused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still in occasionally contact with one of the kids I spent New Year's Eve together with but she's younger than me so I doubt she'd know. Her brother and I always exchanged letters at Christmas filled with old memories but he died last year. The other kids I wouldn't know how to find anymore.

      Delete
  12. Yes music can turn on my water works too, but I shrug it off and am glad that I have the emotional feelings to cry. I have one cousin older than me, and then me, I'll be the oldest.. so great I've survived all these years, yippee and I'll enjoy my later years being good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great attitude! I need to learn not to be embarrassed by honest emotions. So much better than being a person who can't feel any at all.

      Delete
  13. I became the oldest on my mom's side of the family when I was in my early 50's. The oldest cousin and the oldest generation. A little eerie and maudlin. It makes me the boss, but it also means people expect me to remember things, lol. We had five children so we were always the NYE babysitters. And once they got older, we babysat the grandchildren. During Covid our kids had stay home parties with their kids and that has continued. We were battling colds so we just ate leftover Christmas cookies, my husband went to bed and I was watching a true crime series and realized that midnight had passed when I heard neighbors outside with firecrackers. The spread for your party looks amazing - as do the lemon bars! I'm going to try to do better next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being the oldest in the family in your early 50s really would be eerie. That's too young!

      People don't have the great house parties like they used to. I think the laws about drunk driving and holding the party host if someone gets killed as well as the driver had something to do with drop off of parties plus they are expensive to throw!

      Delete
  14. Classical music is one type of music that bores me, I can listen to some but not for long, seems strange having a New Year's Eve party that ends at an early hour due to many of the attendees needing to go to bed early but that is life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. When I first moved here I couldn't get used to how early most of my neighbors go to bed. But then they get up really early in the morning and couldn't do that.

      Delete
  15. Glad to hear your brother is back at the memory care building. That visit is what laid the groundwork for the music to turn on the faucet. We acknowledge a lot of bittersweetness as we age.
    I don't make resolutions but I love the idea of a mantra and yours is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been asking around today and the mantra idea instead of making resolutions has been really popular here.

      Good to have my brother near by again.

      Delete
  16. Your mantra for the year reminds me of the bit of wisdom I got from Varnish John, back in the day. He was talking about how to deal with Hurricane Ike, but it applies across life's board: "Start where you can start, and do what you can do." He also was a big fan of "Do what you can, not what you can't."

    I have a jar of American Spoon lemon curd in my pantry right now. I took advantage of their "twelve jars ship for $10" deal, and stocked up. The blueberry and sour cherry fruit perfect are favs, along with the lemon curd. I love the fruit perfects stirred into yogurt or cottage cheese, and eating it that way makes a jar last for at least a week.

    No resolutions for me, and no mantras or words of the year. This time around, I'm going to do twelve things I've never done before. I'm not sure what I'll come up with, but I have the first two months covered. I'm going to try chicken wings for the first time, and finally watch "Jaws." Can you believe I've never seen it? I only know the line, "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygod, I never thought about putting American Spool in cottage cheese. I love cottage cheese.

      I love the idea of trying 12 new things. That's really doable too. I can't believe you've never eaten chicken wings. I have love/hate relationship with wings. When they are done well they are wonderful but then you get a greasy batch once in awhile and I hate them. I don't think I've seen Jaws either. But I've seen enough clips of it to know not to take it too seriously. It has quite the cult following.

      Delete
  17. A party that ends at 8:30 is right up my alley. lol. I haven't seen the ball drop in years -- probably the last time was when I babysat for my niece and nephew and he is 28 now. Your lemon tarts look really yummy!

    Your childhood memories of NYE are really sweet. I don't have any like that, but my former inlaws had a huge NYE party every year. They were Scottish immigrants in Canada, and their NYE always involved bagpipe music and a lot of tears. Most of them were too "happy" to drive home, so we often woke up to random relatives and friends on the sofas and chairs. They would then revive them themselves with Irish coffee, the full Scottish breakfast (like the full English) and all gather around the TV for the Queen's NY address. It was something to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great family folklore to pass done. We have a Scottish immigrant living here and he was the singer for our party. Two years ago he had really great voice but time does what it does to all of us.

      Delete
  18. Your Lemon Tarts look delish. Glad the New Year's Resident Party went well, tho' closing it down that early was weird, huh? The melancholy has been hard this Year for a lot of people it seems, I've felt it too and emotionally more raw than I usually ever get during Holidays. Part of mine is dealing with Loved Ones who are really struggling emotionally/behaviorally/physically, so that kind of spills into the Caregiver's Psyche, doesn't it? For some reason they all have been difficult and irritable, so mediating and moderating that really did work my last nerve and make Celebratory feelings diminish considerably. I do have hopes 2024 will bring some Promise for us all tho', I'm an incurably Guarded Optimist it seems. *winks* Happy New Year Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering all you went through these past few months it's a wonder you're still standing. 2024 is going to be a better year for all of us!

      Delete
  19. I think Start Where You're At is a great mantra for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ‘Start where I’m at’. Thank you. I’m a widow now at 56, my husband passed away unexpectedly and it’s my son, daughter, and me. Your encouragement is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't write about widow issues so much anymore but all my back posts are accessible. 56 is so young to be a widow!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.