Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Sadiversary Number Twelve

Last summer the IT guy here on the continuum care campus was messing around with my computer for some Mickey Mouse reason when he said I don’t have the requirements needed to upgrade my operating system to Windows 11. I didn’t care. I don’t like change. I hate it when they become a necessary evil in the computer world. I told him all that and he said just keep it in mind if you see a great deal on a new computer. You’ll need one when Microsoft quits supporting Windows 10. I wanted to ask him if he thought I’d live that long but he’s my computer doctor not my medical doctor so I let it pass. When we were having this conversation I thought we were talking about something that would happen five or six years from now but---yikes!---I just looked it up and they quit supporting Windows 10 October 14, 2025! 

This conversation was floating around in my head because since New Year’s I’ve been wondering if the operating system known as my brain has run out of room. They say our brains are like computers and for the past couple of weeks I couldn't concentrate and thoughts seemed to be running around in a loop, not finding a place to land. Even the deck top in my den mimics the disarray inside my head. It looks like it belongs to a slob with its piles of notes, mail and papers that need to be put in my filing cabinet or in the shredder, both of which are within three feet from the desk. Wouldn’t you think if I can walk that close to where something goes I could take it all the way to its destination? I get this way every once in once in a while. I’ll “file” stuff to the right room but won’t bother to deposit it where it belongs---in the right folder so to speak. For example, I bought a bottle of eye drops recently and instead of putting it in the medicine cabinet I put them on the counter top in front of the cabinet. 

You’d think  by now I’d recognize the signs…that I get totally weird the first two weeks of January which “just happens” to lead up to the Sadiverary of when my husband died. It’s been twelve years since I lost him and while I can say I’ve succeeded in earning my Widow’s Wings by moving on, building a new life for myself that for the most part makes me happy and contented, not a week goes by that I don’t think about Don. How could a person not? He was literally in my life for half of it. I’m 82 and we were together for 42 years. 

In hindsight I think the lack of snow we've had up until now deepened the windup to my Sadiersary. It reminded me of the winter we had the year he died. I always thought Don custom-ordered that weather pattern as a parting gift for me so I didn’t have to fight the elements to plan his funeral and take care of all the duties a widow has to do during and afterward. He was into following the weather big time, being in the snow plow business most of his adult life. Of course, if we had gotten a blizzard instead of an El Nina winter that year I would have found a way to romanticize that as well. It’s how I roll. 

The Sadiversary takes me by surprise every single year. Why? Does my brain block it out until I can’t ignore it any longer? Sounds logical, although I've never been good at remembering birthdays and anniversaries. If I had a do-over and it wasn’t in January I probably would have established a yearly ritual to commemorate the day so it could be penciled in on the day planner where it couldn't sneak up on me. I do that a week in April when both our birthdays and our anniversary happen. I plan a trip to the butterfly exhibit where I pretend that the huge blue butterflies that fly in pairs and follow the brick path around and around the glass enclosure are Don and me. Yup, I have a bit of melodrama going on inside my head that wishes it would manifest itself Emily Dickinson style. Try as I might, my poetry is amateurish at best and sucks at its worst. And can you believe it, I totally forgot to go to my Creative Writing Group this past week? The group I started and lead! I had my stuff-to-share ready to go and when the time came to leave my apartment, it never crossed my mind. One of the members called me afterward to check up on me because it was the first time in two years that I’ve missed it. 

Now that the Sadiversary has passed, I feel different---like someone poked a hole in my brain and let all the hot air out. I looked around this morning and saw a cleaning session in my future.
 
Until Next Wednesday. ©
 
After great pain, a formal feeling comes
by Emily Dickinson
 
After great pain, a formal feeling comes –
The Nerves sit ceremonious, like Tombs –
The stiff Heart questions ‘was it He, that bore,’
And ‘Yesterday, or Centuries before’?
 
The Feet, mechanical, go round –
A Wooden way
Of Ground, or Air, or Ought –
Regardless grown, A Quartz contentment, like a stone –
 
This is the Hour of Lead –
Remembered, if outlived,
As Freezing persons, recollect the Snow –
First – Chill – then Stupor – then the letting go 
 
Photo Note: Not sure what year that photo was taken but I'm guessing it was in the mid-'80s. That was the smallest of Don three front end loaders. That's all snow behind us, piled up by one of the larger loaders.

43 comments:

  1. I can understand why this time of year would be tough for you. How lucky you were to have so many happy memories of your life with Don. It is good that you can take the time to cherish them. Rest, relax and rejoice in your happy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like all relationships ours had its ups and downs. More ups than downs. I don't want anyone to think I'm fooling myself into thinking ours was right out of a romance book. LoL

      Delete
    2. I thought the same thing about memories today. My husband passed away unexpectedly just over a year ago. We met when I was 17, and shared 38 years together. We have a son and daughter who just graduated high school. I’ve found it painful to recall the memories in this early phase of grief. But as you suggest, I hope I can take time to cherish the memories without the pain.

      Delete
    3. G, a year is a short time in widowhood and in my experience it's when the healing truly begins---after you've been through all the holidays and special events for that first time. The ability to cherish the memories will come back a little at a time. You've got your own and youngish kid's grief to deal with. That's a tough row to hoe.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, I think those of us in the Northern Climes lose a bit of brain power in January. We kind of go into a Winter Mode--cocooning against the cold, grey days with no holiday to motivate us and nothing to really look forward to that would get us energetic and engaged. We know that we've got a few months before spring, so we sort of slow down and hibernate along with Nature in our area. It's an endurance test.

    Your relationship with Don was an extraordinary one and one worth remembering in all its facets. You two shared an incredible amount of Life in those decades. I'd be surprised if you didn't miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you could have seen us playing Mahjong today it would make you a believer in your theory of January Brain Drain. None of could think straight and it took a village to remember all the rules.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I think our bodies have a built-in memory of such anniversaries. In my mid 40's and early 50's, I used to find myself restless in the second week in September, only to finally remember why. That photo you posted is wonderful. It looks like a promotional ad photo, perhaps promoting the idea that the couple who work together form deep bonds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like this photo and I like your back story for it.

      You could be right about the built-in memory for special events. It sure seems to be the case for my subconscious.

      Delete
  4. It really makes sense that this time of year would be hard even after many years. I think our body holds onto traumas even when our memories don't. My son always gets quiet and melancholy in May around the time my granddaughter died, which was 14 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad when a child dies. Every year you'd not only have your memories to deal with but also the could-have-beens---turning thirteen, first prom, graduation, etc. So sorry for your family's loss.

      Delete
  5. Sending Sadiversary hugs, Jean. I can totally understand how your brain would need to shut down while your emotions get to feel all the feels at this time of year. I love that you are aware of this. Also love the photo. Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry. What a difficult time. My neighbor's husband just passed. I missed the funeral yesterday due to weather. She has been his caregiver 24/7 since 2020 when he had a series of strokes and other health issues. I know that her days will be so empty. I can't imagine. Personally I find you inspiring! I love your spunk! Hope days are brighter soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They already are brighter. It's like a light switch as soon as it's over the next day.

      Delete
  7. Your love story with Don is truly inspiring. You were fortunate to spend 42 years with him, and the fact that you still love and miss him deeply is remarkable. Stories like yours are usually found in romance books or Hallmark movies. In real life, for us mere mortals, even after 30 plus years together, certain things about my spouse can still be irksome. However, realizing that none of us are perfect and being grateful that he still stood by me is a beautiful perspective.

    I've always admired your love story and how you faced life's challenges with a great sense of humor. It's truly amazing, and I look up to you.

    love Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asha, you and I go back a long way so I know I've told you before that I could match Don's irksome habits and flaws up against your husband's any day. Widows tend remember and cherish the best and let the the irksome fall through the cracks.

      As for romantic stories you've got to admit that you've got the best first chapter for a genre book, hands down. You are the only person I know who has an arranged marriage plus you ended up with a keeper...even it it took you awhile to figure that out.

      Thank you for always making me smile and remember the best from my mentoring days.

      Delete
  8. I'm sure you felt him around during this time too, or I sure hope so. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I wish none of us would have to.
    Sending warm ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. These anniversaries are so hard. I feel for you. My dad and my sister both died in January, too. It is a dreary enough month without that, isn't it?

    BTW, I didn't get an email with your blog today...I just came looking for it, because it's Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I screwed up and set this post to go live on January 24th. I saw that this morning so I manually set it to go live. The crawler from the email service only looks for new posts once a day and I missed the 1:00 AM time. Don't be surprised if you get the notice tomorrow morning. My screw up this time, not the interest jokers.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better, but I also appreciate the way you shared how the anniversary of Don's death affects you. In times past, many of us were encouraged to be stoic, to move on, to put a smile on our face, etc. We all cope and heal differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People around me didn't probably notice a difference these past two weeks and if they did they'd probably just chalk it up having what I call one of my dyslexia days.

      Delete
  11. Andy and I have been married over 59 years, so I will have a huge hole in my heart if he passes before me. (He's 89 and I'm 84.). I suppose all you can do is remind yourself ahead of time that the sadiversary is coming and maybe have some rituals to deal with it. Learning how to mourn is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish I had started a ritual for the 12th of January, but the weather is so unpredictable I think it would be doubly depressing if I planned something and it got canceled.

      Delete
  12. I always enjoy your stories of your life with Don, and at this point every time I come across an article about snow-plow-people, I always think of the two of you. I suspect the dynamic holds true across a whole variety of occupations. Couples (and families) who work together have a bond that others miss out on: shopkeepers, ranchers, farmers, and a multitude of others. I'd far rather plow snow with a guy than spend time at high-toned social occasions. You were one of the lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't just with snowplowing when we did worked together. Before I worked for him he helped me set up weddings in churches and pick my equipment back up again afterward. And I helped him rehab an apartment house be bought before we met. When other couples were going on normal dates supporting each other's dreams. I think you're right about couples in other life style having the same opportunities for building special bonds.

      Delete
  13. Happy Sadaversary! Mr. Ralph and I worked together for a few years. It was great. I'm always amazed by how much I still miss him (flaws and all) after 10 years. His birthday is Jan 31 and we usually go out to a spot we know he would like (his favorite is gone now). When he retired, they put together a memory book for him entitled "The Book of Ralph" and many of the employees signed it. I'm still in touch with many friends that I met through him ... all over the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Flaws and all." I like that because sometimes I think I forget to mention those when I write about Don, giving the false impression he was perfect which he wasn't. I just think we widows tend to put things in perspective as petty annoyances where when our guys are alive those petty annoyances ----well, annoy us. LoL

      Didn't you spread your husband's ashes in one of the Hawaii Islands where you lived? I'm thinking it was the place where they had the devastating fire a year or two back.

      Delete
  14. Of course you had these feelings. It's what happens when we love, experience loss and remember. Nothing to do with age, my friend, so don't worry about your full brain. You had something beautiful and special and allowing yourself to feel is healthy. And you can do those rituals (well, not THAT one, but others) anytime you want. A special candle is one example.

    When I worked at Ele's Place, when the kids were ready to close because they felt they'd learned about handling their grief, we would give them a tiny velvet bag with five stones -- four polished, one rough. The rough one represented the rawness of new grief. The polished ones had been tumbled to a shine to represent the process of healing. They were lovely and smooth -- but never perfect. There might still be a sharp edge here or there. Because grief and loss is always with us but we learn well how to move ahead and find our shine.

    You shine, my friend. We don't feel the feelings you so beautifully shared here without loving deeply. And that is a huge gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I love that five stones in a velvet bag idea for helping kids understand the process of grieving. I wonder if the idea came from a workshop of David Roberts. wrote an article titled "Finding your Five Smooth Stones; Pecking At The Shadows of Grief." The five stones in a bag metaphor most likely comes from the biblical story of David and Goliath.





      Delete
  15. Since itis a sad time your brain stores the knowledge of it approaching away in a corner till it really needs to come out and be addressed, just my thought.

    I don't like change and even though this computer pisses me off a lot of the time i really don't want to change or upgrade as the girls tell me, I know what I am doing on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your theory about my Sadiversary makes absolute sense.

      That's me too on the computer. I know how to do everything on my present set up and they never get all your stuff back the way you want when you change.

      Delete
  16. I understand why this time of year is not your favorite. It is par for the course, I suppose, but that doesn't make it any easier. As for a new computer, I'm right there with you hating change. I know it has to happen eventually, but who wants the stress of it? My sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking computers will level out sooner or later and we won't need to upgrade so often. But that day won't come for my age group, I'm afraid probably not yours either.

      Delete
  17. You should be proud of the life you have created after Don's death. However, I think the Sadiversary must really hurt in your heart. It sounds like you and Don were a really great pair and had a terrific life together. I have no experience of death of a husband but it must be the true Achey Breaky heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being proud of the life I've created has nothing to do with the life I lost---and I am. All widows and widowers have to create a new life for themselves out of necessity. The kind of marriage one had or didn't have doesn't matter. It's the moving parts left that matter---our ages, any kids and their ages, assets, personal strengths and weaknesses, regrets not to mention the cause of someone's death. That's my take on it, anyway.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the heads-up that Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows 10 later this year. I always push off those upgrades to the absolute last minute. They always seem to be designed to enable your computer to do things (like gaming and film-making) that I have no interest in doing, while perfectly serviceable programs and devices that I use regularly will no longer work after the update. Ugh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows 11 in October of 2025, not Windows 10 this year. They say they need to keep a head of the hackers.

      Delete
  19. It's good that you recognize it for what it is even though it sneaks up on you and takes you a while to figure it out. Despite creating a new life, loss is difficult. So lucky you had such a wonderful partner for so many years. I think you've picked the perfect word-- Sadiversary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think about how hard it would be to grief and rejoice at the same time if you had an abuse spouse. I can see a classic Chev on the road and it reminds me of a good time but those same kinds of triggers are going to be out there for someone who had an abusive relationship only the memory that flashes will bring a person now in totally different way.

      Delete
  20. Sadiverseries never get easier, do they? You perfectly described my inability lately to do things, or keep up on them anyway, and probably why my surroundings look like the inside of my Brain must!!! Even the tiny little folding Table I have this Computer on is cluttered up right now. I can't make Order out of the Chaos lately and I had to not let it bother me as much as it typically would or I'd be in a Blue Funk about it, which, I don't need that either. I think Starting Over just gets harder and harder, each Move was a Good one in so many ways Jean, but a part of me got so Tired of Moving and Starting Over, they almost seem like Lost Years of repeating stuff to me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely speak the same language when it comes to what's going on inside our heads and how our surroundings reflect the state of our brains. But I suppose that's true of most people. But maybe some are just better of covering that fact up?

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.