Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

The GingerBread House 2023

 

It's starting to look a lot like Christmas around here. The photo above is of our lobby where this week the area will be filled with folding chairs and an a keyboard will be moved in front of the window on the right for several musical events on the calendar. The space is bigger than it looks in this photo and will hold 75 of us, mostly behind the gray sofa and off to the left. The door you see in far left leads to our activities room and the building you see through the window on the right is where I live. It's not much of a walk and the sidewalk is heated but this time of the year I prefer to walk across the underground parking garage to get over to this part of the campus. The piazza between these two buildings in like a wind tunnel coming off the lake and taking the outside route in the winter calls for a comb and a coat that I don't want to bother with. Way too many people in my building go across without a coat but, in my opinion, that's just asking for trouble should you fall or forget your key. A coat isn't going to prevent you from falling or getting locked out but it will keep you from freezing to death while you're waiting for help to arrive. Someone falls here in the independent the living buildings every week.

Time to get down to business and that business, today, is to do a show-and-tell on the gingerbread house that I built for the contest this year. I started buying candy before we got the kits and that was a mistake because the kits the management provided were smaller this year so I over bought. The first thing I acquired was a jar of tiny cupcake candy which was my inspiration for the theme and color scheme for what I'm calling the Cupcake Cottage. 

Before the kits arrived I built the platform for the base using two thicknesses of cardboard covered with freezer paper that I use to protect my drafting table when I do art projects. If I'm smart I'll save the base for next year's house because it was time consuming starting with tracking down a box, cutting out what I needed, taping two layers together, breaking the rest of the box down and taking it to the recycling room.

The kit and the base.

I got the bright idea that is would be easier to decorate the gingerbread house before I assembled it. But that turned out to be giant mistake because the weight of the taffy I put on the roof made it impossible to keep the roof sections in place while the frosting dried. So ended up taking the heavy taffy off and replacing it with some disassembled candy spikes that were made out of marshmallow-like disks.

With the taffy.

Second attempt without the taffy

Finally, I got the roof to stay in place but I cut down some candy canes to use for posts on the four corners of the roof to help support the weight. I didn't trust the Royal Icing to hold the roof on. It was another bright idea of mine to use Royal Icing instead of the stuff that came with the kit because I forgot to factor in the fact that I've never used it before and I wasn't sure how quickly it sets up. Thankfully, I made it in small batches and by the time I was finished I could see why my great-niece loves working with it. She makes the most beautiful cookies, better than the professional ones you pay $4 a piece for. 

The candy spike in the front of the above photo is what I ended up using for the roof but before that I had the bright idea that I could make the spikes and candy canes stand up and tower over the house by inserting them in a half a potato but the potatoes kept weeping and the frosting wouldn't set up underneath or on them.



Above is the front of the house and below is the backside. That snowman is a Peeps. I bought two packs and used just the one guy. I bought Peeps Christmas trees, too, but the color was too bright for the rest of the candy so I used ice cream cones. I did put a Peeps tree inside the house that is visible through the partly open door.


You can see the roof supports good in this photo of the back.

This is the side yard and those are pretzels for the windows. I saved some from last year's house project so I wouldn't have to buy another bag for just six 'panes'. They make cute and quick windows.



View from the top.

Those gummy worms are what I planned to used whole on a bigger house kit but I ended up cutting them up to use for siding bits and on the peak of the roof. The sidewalk is Necco's broken up with crushed shredded wheat used to fill in the cracks...the latter saved from last year's house so I didn't have to buy more cereal just for a teaspoon full.

I'm disappointed in the way this house turned out---mostly with the roof because I couldn't get the messed-up frosting under the heavy taffy off to start completely over. The Art Professor did a bombed out house in the Gaza Strip. My writing group friend took first place last year and stepped up his game this year by adding lights inside the house, sugar spun window panes and a swimming pool outside. No way can I beat him, but that's okay. He's very creative and a purist.

Speaking of being a purist, I had hoped this year they'd go by traditional gingerbread rules that everything has to be eatable. Again, they didn't have any rules other than we're not supposed to reveal who made what so it doesn't become a popularity contest. But it comes out. When we deliver our houses we have to go through the lobby where someone always sees and tells. One contestant is obsessed with the fact that we don't have to sign our ballots. She thinks someone will stuff the ballot box voting for their own house. And let me just say that that's the only way her house could win. She used yarn for the siding on the house and buttons on the roof. The roof is sitting on next to the house, unattached and off to the side because she, too, was having trouble get the frosting to hold so she named her creation Tornado House. 

Building the houses is about so much more than just the final results. Yes, it's a friendly competition. But it's also about the conversations we have during the planning stage when we bounce ideas and tips off each other. It's about the houses being on display and everyone trying to figure out what ingredients were used---Golden Grams, sugar cubes and coffee grounds to name a few that were new this year.  I'm predicting I'll take second place. Again. Third place---I'm guessing---will once again be the chefs' gingerbread house even though their window trim is falling off and piling up around the base of the house which just goes to show even the professionals can't always judge the holding power of Royal Icing.

Until Next Wednesday. ©

40 comments:

  1. It sounds as if second place is an achievement. šŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seeing all the contenders, I'm more sure than ever my house should take second.

      Delete
  2. You put in a LOT of effort, my friend and it shows. I love your style. I love making gingerbread houses and trees and people and villages. In fact I am now going out to get a starter kit and see where it leads. My favorite family grocer went out of business but they always stocked up on accessory candy at Christmas.

    The Benson Hotel in downtown Portland was an annual display. 52-year beloved holiday tradition. The architectural feat promises only one hint to this year’s theme: “a famous example of romanticism, this beautiful sight inspired one dreamer and creator to capture the imaginations of millions around the world.” These majestic creations are made entirely of confectionary delights, with over 150 pounds of house made gingerbread, 50 pounds of marzipan, 20 pounds of chocolate, ten pounds of Rice Krispies treats, and buckets of royal icing. For a gallery of past creations, visit gingerbreadcities.com.

    I was going to take the boys plus one friend ... $100 each person!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. That is quite a house! I don't know how gingerbread house makes dare to do multi stories. I made the mistake of googling houses after I finished mine. Should have done it beforehand because their are a lot of great ideas out there. I'm going to put it in my day planner to make one out of all bird friendly stuff so it can go outside after the contest is over.

      Have fun with the boys. Great some gram-crackers to have on hand. If your frosting is setting up to quickly put it between a couple of gram-crackers for snacks later on. You can also use them to build small stuff like benches, dog houses, dormers, etc.

      Delete
  3. I think Cupcake Cottage looks wonderful! I'm sure you spent a lot of time planning it, then making it. I've never even attempted to make a gingerbread house, so I admire those who do. It will be fun to see who wins this year.

    I'm way behind with Christmas prep. My husband had a stroke two weeks ago today, and I've been spending the days with him while he's been in the hospital and rehab. He gets to come home this afternoon, so I'm beginning to think of Christmas candies and cookies I want to make. It's going to be fun to get back to "normal," if possible.

    BTW, I think your lobby is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry sorry to hear about your husband! Hope his recovery continues to go well. You have much to be grateful for, if he's able to come home so soon. He'll probably be emotionally for a while. Throw some outpatient therapies in there and getting 'back to normal' will be harder than you think but a great goal.

      Our lobby is the hub of all activities. We wait there for our dinner reservations, for the mail to come or lectures to start or just to sit and visit.

      Delete
  4. This is so cool! Your house is very clever and I got a few tips for the next time I do this with the boys. We just go with what comes in the kit (hey, they're 5 and 6) but as they get older we might branch out and get the pretzels. LOVE the ice cream cone trees. Those are super cute and fun. I loved seeing your step by step and the "what worked, what didn't" info. I hope you win and win big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do love the process of making the houses and this is only my third one unless I made one with my mom. A rusty memory suggests I might have but there is no photo documentation so did it really happen?

      Delete
    2. P.S. I'm starting to think the bombed out house could win for the political statement it makes about war and because The Art Professor wrote a whole page for an artist statement about it and everyone loves her. She and my writing group friend both signed their houses which broke the only rule we had. LOL

      Delete
  5. I did that same Elf kit last year, pretty much copied the image on the box, with a tweak here/there. You’ve made the kit completely your own and it’s fabulous. So many clever ideas … decorate prior to assembly rather than after, the snowman peeps, pretzel windows, the door partially ajar. I am impressed. How many hours days weeks did it take? Would love to see a photo of the Art Professor’s bombed out house, if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to get photos of the other houses for a later post. We only had the kits for a week and I did the base before I got it. I think I have about four hours into the house. I purposely did it in stages spread out over three nights so the frosting would set up good before the next stage. Shopping for candy took way too much time and I bought too much. Next time I'll buy smarter. I had a pound of wrapped taffy and that went is the candy basket at the concierges desk, some of the sweet-and-sour candy I can save for next year. I'm going to eat the left over Peeps and candy canes. Used most of the cupcakes and will throw the rest away as they don't taste good and they are too memorable to use next year.

      Delete
  6. I love your Cupcake Cottage in all its sugary and savoury glory! This contest sounds like such a fun activity that gets everybody's creative and problem-solving juices flowing. I love your idea of making next year's bird-friendly.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all been generously sharing how-to ideas and next year I may attempt to make a window pane out of sugar. Doesn't sound hard at all---famous last words. If you google bird-friendly houses you'll find some beautiful creations. One tip I learned is to mix some cornmeal in with the peanut butter that one uses for glue which prevents it from getting stuff in the bird's beaks.

      Delete
  7. I love your house! So creative. My daughter was in an interior design program in college and had to create a house (or something, it was a long time ago) out of foam core. It pretty much was a disaster and so she went in that direction with it like your art professor. As it turned out, her teacher liked her unusual approach to the project and she got an "A." I think yours should definitely be in the top two. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have three disaster houses this year and none last year. One was on purpose. The other two used the frosting that came with the kits and their roofs fell off. One after it was on display, on the second day of its showing.

      Delete
  8. You did a wonderful job on your gingerbread house! I would love to see photos of the other gingerbread houses:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your house is inviting and a Child's Dream. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a fan of gingerbread but I do like looking at some bloody nice looking gingerbread houses that are better then anything I could do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is no where near as good as you can find online. I like gingerbread but the gingerbread they make for these kits is not the same as mom's make to actually eat. It's tough and hard.

      Delete
  11. Never have done a gingerbread house, but have always loved the idea of them, and I'm charmed by yours. Stinkin' shame they can't be eaten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year some of the contestants broke their houses up and put pieces here and there in the woods on campus. I kept mine to use for decoration this year. They hold up well if you bag them in plastic. Buy one of the mini kits. They are around $5 and can be done in an evening. They are about 5 inches tall.

      Delete
  12. How very cute! I love how many ideas you've incorporated. Like others have said, I'd love to see pics of the other entries. You definitely deserve one of the top prizes...and the woman who identified herself should be disqualified. (I'm an oldest child, and we always follow the rules. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two people signed their houses so the secrecy rule got booted to the curb really quickly.

      Delete
  13. I love the cupcake cottage! Your gingerbread house is adorable! I used to make houses out of graham crackers with my Sunday School class for many years. It was always a learning experience for the next year. My daughter is a teacher and her hint is to build a lightweight box underneath to support the walls and roof, out of something like a cereal box. I was prepared to do that with my grandkids this year, but the kits I bought (for $5) had very thick sturdy walls and we didn't need to brace them. The biggest issue we always had was weight on the roofs. I think decorating the walls before assembly was genius. I can't wait to see your bird friendly house next year.
    When you described the one with windows it reminded me of my daughter's 4H sewing projects. There was one girl (maybe 12?) who made a "sports"outfit. She shot a deer, tanned the hide, made a jacket and then sewed a white blouse with buttons and cuffs and a pair of jeans with french seams. And we know her. She honestly did all this herself. So we always took her out of our competition. If you got second place to Rachel, it was first place in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'll bet she wore that jacket and outfit with pride and well deserved pride. I've known people who sewed tanned leather but never anyone who tanned the hide and shot the deer as well.

      The trick about the cereal box support box inside graham cracker house is good. I tried to build a dog house with them and can see how this tip would have helped.

      Before the holiday is over I'm going to research more about houses built for birds and put what I learned in my day planner for next year. That way I won't forget.

      Delete
  14. Yours is cute and your icing on the eaves looks like snow dripping down! I think it is more about the fun of doing it and it sounds like you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My snow dripping down can't hold a candle to the ones the kitchen crew did with a special tool they have. But it was fun trying to make them look real.

      Delete
  15. How fun! But alot of work! I admire artists and your great ideas and creativity. But the competition would be hard for me. Even if it's a "secret" there tends to be hard feelings. Why not just display them all and leave the prize winning out of it? Oh well, that's just me. Looks like you had a good time doing it and it turned out cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They haven't put out any ballots yet so it might turn out that way. I got a phone call from a woman last night who wants to get support for asking The Art Professor to withdraw her bombed out house. She claims a lot of people were offended and she thinks she didn't built it herself but rather had one of her old students do it. The professor has low vision but to me it looks exactly like someone who can't see would do. Plus I simply don't care if she did have help. A couple worked on one house as did kitchen staff. As for being offended, shouldn't we all be offended by war? What is wrong with reminding us all that all isn't peaceful in the world?

      Delete
  16. So cute! Here's hoping you win! Your house is the epitome of the season of joy and wonder! I certainly hope a bombed out house doesn't win. A gingerbread house contest is no place for political statements. Yuck!
    (It doesn't really offend me, I love folks who think outside the box, but we seem to have so few spaces left where we can experience true joy and happiness and put the harshness of life aside for a moment and to me, a gingerbread house competition should be one of those places.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the houses got pulled from view yesterday. Not sure why. Last year they were out for two weeks and out when we got to vote. They weren't out a full week this year and we start voting today without the house present. I'm guessing the woman who called me last night to try to get support for having the bombed out house pulled out of the show kicked up enough fuss that management pulled them all, spoiling it for everyone.

      Delete
  17. The ideas of a gingerbread bombed out house, or a tornado house, are just too 'out there' for me. I'd take yours over both of those in a hot minute, even if the roof didn't work out perfectly. The detail on yours I like best might be the pretzel windows. That's above clever, as are the ice cream cone trees. I was interested in your comments about Royal Icing. I'm not sure what that is, but I've been trying to figure out what's the best icing for sugar cookies, and it sounds like that might do the trick.

    We never made gingerbread houses when I was a kid, but a traditional Christmas treat was a cake-like gingerbread with lemon sauce. I may hve to pursue that, too. Hope you win the prize! If not, you're sure going to be in the running next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see. The voting started and I'm a little worried some will forget to put a line under a 6 or 9 if they vote for one or the other. The 6 is to the house my writing friend did and deserves first place and the 9 belongs to the bombed out house.

      Royal icing is what the professionals use and they add flavorings and colors. It has only three ingredients: confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder, and water. You add more water if you want to play with the consistency for piping or flooding. If you get it too watery you add some confectioners sugar. Flooding is when the icing is as smooth as glass. You've probably seen it on whiting cakes. It can be frozen if you make sugar cookies ahead of time. My friend put it around his house 1/2 thick and pressed the cutest footprints in the "snow." I have never piped anything but the houses the had piping and my niece used Royal Icing to do it. From what I gather Royal Icing isn't a brand name but rather a frosting made with egg whites for some king back in 1940s. The ready made kind used powder eggs but you can make with beaten egg whites.

      Delete
    2. Great job on the gingerbread house! You incorporated such clever ideas. I hope you win but also hope that you are happy with your work either way. It's a shame that some of the "neighbors" are getting a bit petty over what is supposed to be a fun idea. I'm pretty sure that my mom used to make Royal Icing but we never called it that.
      Nina

      Delete
    3. Nina, You would not believe how petty it got and part of my next post is about the results of contest. Win or loss I had fun making and planning it and I was happy with the positive comments people made.

      Delete
  18. I think you did a splendid job and are too critical of your Work, I've helped the Grandchild build these things for Years and have no delusions about the skills necessary to make a decent one. Luckily she got Old enuf not to require my help and participation since, I suck at Gingerbread House Creations. Just being Artsy or Crafty isn't always enough when you're using this Medium... it's a particular skill and Creativity does go a long way, I'm often amazed at some of the ones I've seen in Displays, Contests or just what my own Grandkids have manifested with theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just want to tell you how much I appreciate your blog. It's always a pleasure to read whatever you've posted, and that is quite an accomplishment. Surely it's no piece of cake to write something regularly. Your classic gingerbread house deserved it's first place win, and the bombed out house deserved appreciation of the artistic and pointed message it conveyed. Happy Christmas and new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you on all counts! I can't deny that I'm competitive and enjoyed winning. And I agree with you about the bombed out house.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.