Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Collecting Political Pinback Buttons

It's back again! Those old feelings of excitement I used to feel when presidential campaigns were in full swing. (Thank you, Joe!) My husband and I were political junkies, and that was before cable TV that makes it easy to binge-watch what's going on in that world and before Facebook memes were born. I'll get to those later, maybe even in a separate post because I love the humor in many of the memes going around. Right now I want to write about campaign buttons or pinbacks as we used to call what are officially labeled pinback buttons.

My husband never drove past a garage sale or flea market that he didn't stop and shop. He needed one of those bumper stickers that read "I Break for Garage Sales." And going to antique malls, auctions and estate sales was to him like going to corner bars are to heavy beer drinkers. I should know. The first seven months we knew each other (but wasn't dating) he was a heavy drinker, but he quit cold turkey and never looked back. Fact checking myself here: It's not quite that simple. He did quit cool turkey but that was a result of him getting drunk, hitting a parked car and spending the night in jail. Long story short he traded one addiction for another and I was the one who introduced him to getting up early on Saturdays to go to the flea market to look for hidden treasures from the past. The rest is history. If you've been following my blog for awhile you know how hard and long I worked at selling off all the stuff that he and I---mostly Don---had collected over the decades. He was a workaholic---another addiction---and he had a good income to spend on collectibles and it didn't take him long to become a knowledgeable collector. 

I collected Cracker Jack Toys back then---still have them all---and would often find them in button jars, junk drawers and cigar boxes. The first time Don found a 'Teddy Roosevelt for President' pinback while I was looking for Cracker Jack toys he was hooked on tiny collectibles like pinbacks and other smalls like Tom Mix or Roy Rogers toys that kids got from sending cereal box tops in to the companies that sponsored serialized stories on the radio. I still have his Captain Midnight decoder ring, signal mirror ring and bomb rings---at one time highly prized by boys. Don was one of those boys. His childhood collection got lost in the tornado but he managed to buy most of them back as an adult. I really should sell those cereal premium toys because they are worth several hundred dollars and I'd hate to see them get dumped as junk if I have to move out of independent living and into the building down the road where Amazon delivers cartons of Depends on a daily basis. 

Back to vintage political pinbacks: By the time Don died we had them coming out of our ears, most of them neatly organized and mounted in black, velvet lined collector boxes that we stacked on library shelves. It didn't matter what party the pinbacks where from or which candidate---winners and losers both. We loved them all. Plus we bought new ones both before and after the political seasons were over. We bought them before from the candidate's official websites to help support their campaigns. We bought them by the mixed bags full after the elections when vendors would unload them for deep price cuts to people like us who mistakenly thought we'd live long enough for them to be good investments. Hint: Fifteen years isn't long enough.

We had fun amassing political memorabilia so I don't regret the hobby. But even things that only measure between one and three inches like pinbacks if you get enough of them they take up a lot of space. So they got sold off before my move. Now, I only have a dozen or so in mason jar because by the time I thought I should save a few I'd already listed or sold all our political memorabilia on e-Bay. The political buttons in my jar are just random, misplaced political pins mixed in with other advertising pinbacks that I found while sorting other stuff. By the way, I sold several of Don's Teddy Roosevelt pinbacks for over a hundred dollars each, but there are so many fake ones around don't even think about buying one unless you know how to tell the difference.

As I started to say before, when Joe dropped out I got bit by the bug again when I saw a 'Thank You, Joe!' pinback on Facebook and I decided, Why Not! I don't shop for shoes or clothing like most my neighbors do. I don't go off campus to eat at fancy restaurants like many of my neighbors. I don't order wine with my meals here. So I spent the afternoon shopping at campaign head quarters, e-Bay, Amazon and Esty and bought some Harris - Walz pinbacks. Not that I'll necessarily have the guts to wear them here on campus but I might try the 'Cat Lady' one or the 'comma' one (see below photos). I wanted the 'Thank You, Joe!' pin but it was pricey and too big to fit in my jar. I shopped my little heart out looking for a 'Make America Joyful Again' pinback but I can only find those words on hats, t-sheets and socks. There must be a licensing issue with that phrase or it would be on pinbacks, but I'll keep looking just in case one turns up.

God, it feels good not to worry so much about the outcome of the November fifth election. It's still a worry, though, when Trump repeatedly tells his fan base that they "only have to vote one more time and they'll never have to vote again." Do his fans think that's a harmless joke or worse yet, do they fully understand and embrace those goals set out in Project 2025 to do away with the cornerstones of our Democracy? A lot is riding on this next election but at least I'm back to enjoying the campaign cycle again. ©

Until next Wednesday!

I got this one to give to my oldest niece. She and her husband are both teachers and they are thrilled with the ticket.

The childless cat lady thing is going to be iconic to this election which is why I wanted this one. I might not have a cat but I'm one of those childless women that J.D. Vance insults and places no value on our existence.
I love this one because I think Trump fans here won't get it and I can wear like a I'm in a secret club.
I bought an 8 pack of these one inch pinbacks to offer to others who I think might like one. Note the pin on the back that gives these buttons their official name.

42 comments:

  1. A cool collection which must bring memories to mind when you look at them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it does bring back memories. Seems like both yesterday and a hundred years ago that we collected so many tiny things. And I don't know how that makes sense but it's the truth.

      Delete
  2. I like that there is a Thank You, Joe pin. We should all be overwhelmingly grateful for all the things he's done (and continues to do!) during his presidency.

    If you want to wear a Harris/Walz pin of any kind, I think you should. I'm so tired of the others acting like bullies. Certainly you can shut down any discussion by saying, "I'm not asking for debate, just stating a preference." Then again, they're so defensive and awful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that sentence and it would work well around here. I took the Cat Lady Club pin to a meeting yesterday and flashed it to some of the women I knew would appreciate and they all laughed and loved it. But at the meeting one of the Trump fans said to our CEO who is black, "I like you better than Kamala Harris. You get things done." First off I thought it was terribly racist to compare job performances based on the color of their skin and two, I doubt this guy even knows what the Vice president has or hasn't done. He's the same guy would thought someone should shoot her.

      Delete
    2. Nance, I agree with you! I hope that once the election is over (and ,la wins!) we’ll turn our attention back to Joe and shower him with gratitude.

      Delete
    3. I think we'll see that at the convention coming up next week. He is truly a patriot for putting country first.

      Delete
  3. I love your 2024 collection. I have a few from the early 70's. Not sure where I picked them up, but they are from opposing parties which used to really confuse people when I would wear them decades later on election day. I'm sure I picked mine up for free from booths at our county fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the idea of wearing the old pinbacks. I still have a Roosevelt in my jar and it would be funny to dig that out and wear it around here. I just found out last night one of the women here is organizing a postcard writing party and I got invited.

      Delete
    2. What is a postcard writing party?

      Delete
    3. A postcard writing party is one where you send out postcards to people who may not know where to vote in their area...Young people just coming of age and new residents, etc. I guess there is a list plus the postcards that you get from local campaign headquarters and all we do is address them and stamp them. Someone else in the blog community is also doing them but in a different state. I remember getting on of those cards when I moved.

      Delete
  4. Love the comma pinback. Political signs are prohibited in our condo development -- thank goodness, as I prefer to not know who my neighbors vote for. Just makes life easier when I run into them in the street. But the adjoining neighborhood has a house that started with a huge Trump flag, added a lawn sign, and now has added multiple lawn signs. The yard looks like a fungus sprang up overnight. I'm not sure why they feel the need for SO. MANY. SIGNS. But I do know I'll be avoiding them when I walk the dog. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something to be said about know knowing the political leanings of your neighbors and it's always been on the hush-hush around here. But that seems to only apply to the Democrats, the Trump fans are vocal but no one pushes back...I think to avoid a scene. But our secret society of liberal women 12 of us had to cut off our numbers because we couldn't make table reservations for more than that...I just found out that a woman is starting a second group for another table worth of liberal ladies having dinner together.

      I saw a Facebook thread of people who couldn't put up political signs in their residency and how they got around it. One example was a woman painted flamingos blue and added pearl bracelets around theinecks. Anther made a door wreath with blue bows, pearls and baby tennis shoes.

      Delete
  5. Love your newly Scored Political Button Collection. I LOVE my Tiny Hoards best. Had to Smile about wearing your Secret Agent Pinback at the CCC and it will be over the Heads of some, considering what most of DonOld's Base seem to be lacking in the way of intellectually discerning acumen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite sure the comma pinback will go over the heads of the serious Trump Cult members here who only see his tweets and Fox for their news. I'll let you know later on. I just ordered a Blue Wave sweat shirt that I will wear for sure it's all cats and ocean waves with no words. Got it practically for free with my Amazon points.

      Delete
    2. Wondering how many will get the Blue Wave Childless Cat Lady Sweatshirt? Lol 🤣... Dawn the Bohemian

      Delete
    3. I don't know but there are a lot of clothing garments sold with that same pattern of cats and ocean waves. Probably see a lot of them at next week's convention.

      Delete
  6. I remember all of the collections and memorabilia you sold when you were moving. You and Don sure have lots of happy memories of your treasure hunts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was looking for photos to go with this post (from old e-Bay listings) I got amazed all over again by how much two people could collect of tiny things over our live times. We were good hunters and gatherers. LoL But I believe everyone needs a hobby, be it reading, sports, collecting something or volunteering. Life is just richer when you do and with collecting we also learned a lot of history.

      Delete
  7. I’ve been following your blog for quite awhile all the way back when you were selling off your collections. We have quite a bit in common. My husband also collected political memorabilia and I collected dolls. We sold at a local flea market just as a hobby for a few years. The fun part was the buying and the hunt for goodies and the not so fun was the work of the selling and storing of all of our finds. Anyway, this is the first post I’ve ever made on a blog. My husband died too so getting rid of the collections was a must. I took the lazy way out, with an auction. I love your Wednesday postings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the comments! Thank you for reading here.

      I had a lot of small lot auctions where I'd drop off a lot almost weekly for awhile. But I didn't think the specialized gas station memorabilia I had to sell would bring in the prices I knew they could and did. But I always advise people to do auctions if they can, because they are so much easier and faster. Some people don't have enough stuff to turn an auctioneers eye so they sometimes end up sharing an auction date with someone else. I did that once back back after Don's stroke---the first time I had to downsize. This blog documented the second downsizing.

      I never collected dolls but I loved teddy bears. I still have my childhood doll. A WWII composition doll that has no hair and a chewed off toes---both done by my dog at the time. Very poor shape but I love her.

      Delete
    2. My name is Mary

      Delete
  8. When I saw your topic, I thought of the History Channel show Pawn Stars. The owners are really fun characters who buy all kinds of historical, antique, or vintage items. I’m sure they’d enjoy seeing your collection and evaluating it, but you’d have to go to Vegas and qualify for an appointment. And you’d never get full retail value…just a percentage of what they’d resell things for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that show. All pawn shops are like that, never give you full value for anything. They are for people who think they might like to buy their stuff back again except in a place like Vegas where I'll bet a lot of people pawn things because they've gambled their rent money away. I'm sure they seed that show to showcase the interesting stuff where they can educate views.

      Delete
  9. I adore the ,la one. I'm leery about wearing anything political around here in the heart of redness, but that little bit of blue might fly under the red radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the best political buttons I've seen. I probably wouldn't wear political gear outside this campus but I pretty much know who here is a fan of Trump's and can avoid them if I'm not in the mood to get heckled for wearing a Harris/Walz pinback.

      Delete
  10. The pin collection is awesome. My husband has a couple of his dad's Kennedy for President (John not Bobby) Which he brags about. I'm not going to share your post with him as it might start another jag of collecting while we're in the midst of purging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't guilt him into purging his dad's Kennedy buttons. They don't take up much room and can be even be put in a small frame to elevate them and their connection to his dad.

      Delete
  11. So glad you have good memories of your husband when you see the memorabilia that you and he collected together. It’s sad that we hesitate to express our political preferences, but the society we live in is just not kind. It’s like the Christian who hesitates to share their belief in God as one never knows how it will be received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have great memories of going to 'treasure hunting'. I'm starting to get the bug again and fortunately there is only one place close by to do it in and it's not the best mall in terms of quality antiques. Even so, the last time I went I ended up hauling 3 cheap things home. I really don't need to be doing that!!!

      Delete
  12. A REMINDER TO THOSE WHO POST ANONYMOUSLY, I'd appreciate it if you'd include a first name or initials with the post comments. There are three anonymouses in this thread and I'm pretty sure they are three different people but sometimes it's not so clear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, I was totally confused by the cat pin with the comma. Then I went in search of childless cat ladies pins to learn. Now I get it! and my online basket is full of various pins to express my enthusiasm for this presidential ticket. What fun! I am literally a childless cat lady. Who will happily vote for Kamala and the coach. It was like a fever broke when she took the nomination by storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, wasn't it. I like that you were confused by the comma pin. I'm quite sure, now, the Trump fans here won't get it at all. I love the idea of hiding in plain sight. I only "got it" because when I was on my day trip with my niece I was having trouble saying Kamala's name and she taught me to say "comma la." Everyone I've showed the cat lady club pin to has laughed and loved it.

      Delete
  14. Oh, I'm still worried. And I will be, even after the election. But I do finally feel a little optimism, hope and joy. I love your collection and story of the past collections. I think the only pin I have isn't very old but timeless. (Probably the Bush admin but not sure if B2 or B1. It says "Friends Don't Let Friends Vote Republican." We have a broken Spiro Agnew watch I can't quite part with either. (Why? Why do we have it and why can't I part with it?). It might just need a battery. I have no idea. My favorite antique political thing I saw decades ago was a music box that played Ta ra ra boom-de-ay -- and a little paper cut out of Richard Nixon bounced about like a marionette when it played. I wish I'd bought it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a the "friends don't let friends...." button. Did they have battery watches back in Agnew's time? I've never seen a music box like that. It sounds really cool.

      Delete
  15. Things are more hopeful now. Fingers crossed!
    —-Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we still have to have a massive turn out at the polls and also worry about not just getting the popular vote but also the electoral college votes.

      Delete
  16. I'm definitely going to get ,la!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I wore one yesterday to dinner and only one person saw it and knew what it was which is just what I wanted to happen. People who only hang around MAGA driven media places will not understand it.

      Delete
  17. The first and only pin I wore was an "I Like Ike" pin when I was in grade school. That was a very long time ago! I smiled when I didn't see one in the photo up top -- another sign of how old those are. I wonder now when such pins first were offered -- do you know? I suppose they emerged when mass manufacturing techniques improved -- and someone had the bright idea to make a profit on them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Actually, the first photography image used as a campaign button was of Lincoln. Back then they little tintypes enclosed in metal and were sewn on like coat buttons. The first mass produced, pinback style dates back to 1896 William Mckinley. So they've always been with us.

    We had a lot of 'I Like Ike' stuff---pinbacks, rhinestone pins and earrings, pens, jack knifes, etc. and I put them together for one auction lot. He was popular and thus the memorabilia is easier to find. The political collectable that is the most interesting---in my opinion---is the metal license plate attachments. They've got a cross-over interest with vintage car collectors and political collectors and were not as common during the election cycles. We were always looking for them and only found 6 or 7 and they all sold for over $100. There is an 'I Like Ike' topper on eBay right now, in bad condition, listed for $236.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.