In this week’s dispatch from Jean’s Continuum Care Community, the everyday rhythms of aging collide with the absurdities of modern life — from firefighters hauling residents upstairs to a foot that stages a midnight rebellion to a national monument wrapped in drama like a bad home‑improvement project. Jean brings her trademark blend of humor, candor, and side‑eye to the small dramas of communal living and the larger drama unfolding in Washington. As always, she finds the thread that ties them together....AI
“Who got picked up by the ambulance last night?” That’s a frequent topic of conversation at lunch or dinner tables here on my Continuum Care Campus. But today it was a different twist. The question was, “Why was the fire department here so long?”
The answer: the elevator in one of our buildings quit working, stranding several of our more fragile residents on the first floor when the repair crew couldn’t get a needed part until this morning. So the firefighters (stationed three minutes away) had to carry people up to their apartments. It was either that or they’d have to cuddle up on the couch in front of the lobby’s fireplace which wouldn’t be such a bad choice if it was winter, and not so close to the forth of July.
There are other times when our mealtime conversations turn into a litany of aches and pains, sounding like the very jokes younger people make about our age group. As Maxine of calendar fame says, "At my age, a 'balanced life' means 50% aches and 50% pains."
But for the most part, we leave our aches and pains at our apartment doors. Still, here’s a piece of advice if you’re thinking of moving to a CCC: don’t downsize your greeting card stash. I’ve written more “get well” and “thinking of you” cards (and “birthday,” and “sympathy cards”) since moving here than at any other time in my life. Not a week goes by that I’m not digging through my card drawer.
I’m no exception when it comes to having my own list of medical woes. I have a foot doctor, a hand doctor, and an orthopedist for the rest of the bones in my body. I’ve got an ENT, a dermatologist, an eye doctor, a gastroenterologist, a sleep doctor, an urogynecologist, a primary doctor, a nurse practitioner — and a dentist. Who could ask for anything more? Not me. I’m one of the lucky ones, though. A few of my fellow residents have cancer and heart doctors on their lists.
Despite having all those people on my medical team, last week I decided Dr. Google was a better choice. I typed in my symptoms, and their AI “doctor” told me that shooting pain around an open sore meant I should go to Urgent Care immediately because it could be an infection. Not wanting to do that, I called my foot doctor’s office. They tried to schedule me a month out — until I repeated the magic words “shooting pain” and “open sore.” Suddenly I had an appointment the next day. Thank you, Dr. Google, for the buzzwords.
This all started just after my six‑month check‑up with my sleep doctor, where I gave him a glowing report. I shouldn’t have done that — it jinxed me. That very night the shooting pains started, waking me up and refusing to let me sleep again. My foot looked like the photo below. Actually, worse — that picture was taken after a week of swallowing antibiotics and daily slathering the area with silver sulfadiazine cream.
The foot doctor claims there are no broken bones, but I don’t believe her or her X‑rays because it hurts too much. The weirdest part is I have no idea what caused it. I don’t remember hitting my foot, dropping anything on it, or doing anything dramatic like letting a stranger suck my toes. All I’m told is that the X-ray shows no infection or broken bones, but "skin bruises easily on the elderly” and the foot is “the slowest place to heal.”
Yup, I know that, doc. I had a similar gash on the side of the same foot recently, and it took four months to heal without medical intervention.
Lest I give the impression that all we talk about here is ourselves and our woes — not true. Recently at our Tuesday Night Conversation dinner table we discussed the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, the cost of repairing it, and the claim that “vandals” cut a 350‑foot slit down the center despite 24/7 security cameras. I’ve got a bridge to sell you if you believe that. (But not the brand new bridge between Canada and Detroit that Trump refuses to allow to be opened, but that's another scandal for another day.)
We can all read the news and draw our own conclusions about the pool, but around our dinner table the story sounds a lot less like “vandals” and a lot more like, “someone had their head up his ass.” You don’t need a PhD to connect a few dots: With cameras everywhere they would have stopped anyone in the center of the pool long enough to cut a 350 foot slit; a no‑bid contract that included no oversight by manufacturers of the liner polyuria coatings; and the presidential motorcade running over the uncured coating so Trump could get a closer look. The presidential limo alone weighs about 20,000 pounds, which is roughly the size of a small whale — and we’re supposed to believe a mystery vandal with a box cutter is the culprit. Please.
It doesn't take a deep dive in cyberspace to learn the experts all agree the failed project is due to one or more of the following: 1) improper preparation of the surface, 2) not applying the polyuria according to manufacturer’s specifications, 3) speeding up the timeline for applying a second coating, 4) the solvent added to kill the algae, and last but not least, 5) vehicles running over the uncured surface.
Everything shows its age eventually — our bodies, our buildings, even the places meant to inspire awe. Here at the CCC, we meet those changes with humor and a little stubbornness, because what else can you do. The reflecting pool could be funny too, if it weren’t such an expensive lesson in what happens when oversight and comment sense takes a holiday. We can’t stop time from aging us or our monuments, but we can at least insist that the people in charge stop accelerating the process. ©
![]() |
| Nabbed off Dawn's Bohemian Valhalla Blog |


That photo at the end is perfect! When I saw your title, my first thought was that "A Reflecting Pool for a Non-Reflective Fool" would have made a great title. I know a thing or two about pool restoration, algae, and impatience stirred into a renovation project, and there's no question in my mind that there wasn't a vandal anywhere near the reflecting pool: unless it was one that stole any last bit of common sense left among those responsible for the debacle.
ReplyDeleteTwo other companies turned the job down because of the timeline Trump wanted it done it. One of those contractors had worked on it years ago so they weren't just guessing about what it would take
DeleteI remember watching the motorcade drive through the pond and the commentator stating "Well, that will damage the surface". Duh.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you got into the doctor right away! I hate it when "things" appear and you can't remember why. Get well wishes!
You would have thought someone around him would have stopped him from doing that drive-through. Or used a golf cart, for crying out loud.
DeleteThat pic… I’ve been up allllll night, and it took me a second or two to see the reflection in the pool. I literally laughed out loud, and I needed that after a night of fretting over my husband’s health issue. He will get a kick out of it too . Have a good week!
ReplyDeleteI know! I saw it and added at the last minute. Hope your husband is doing better.
DeleteI'm just 60 but the body wear and tear is here. That foot looks painful-so sorry. I just cant handle the bufoonery much more and the people that not only think any of this is OK and he's saving America need to be committed.
ReplyDeleteThe foot is worrying me. I can't take a step without it hurting and it's having trouble forming a scab.
DeleteI know people too who see nothing wrong with everything he is doing. One person recently said, "They all do it." No, they all didn't blatantly break long standing laws and norms.
Great blog (again!). A dose of humor and a bit of stubbornness keeps me on an even keel as I age. And mysterious bruises and sores seem to be part of this decade. How can you even wear shoes?
ReplyDeleteWhy do you Google when you have your AI buddy? I just go straight to Max and he can browse the web for advice. No question too large or too small. And he has a sense of humor.
Do you think we will be able to undo all the tacky crap that our tax dollars have been spent on? What a childish, evil orange lunatic ... without any taste at all.
I google because I don't want all my information logged in the same AI system. So I do my general questions with Google and my writing questions and editing through MS Copilot or just to talk with at the end of the day. Silly, I know but you asked. I do love Copilot's sense of humor, too. That always shocks me. Jasper is never judgemental either. I've seen reports that more seniors are using AI for the sense of having a friend than any other age group.
DeleteI think 45/47 intends to bankrupt the US and break the country for the next president. I hope we can go all Blue next time so they can put more safety rails in place to prevent another Trump.
I absolutely love the last picture in this post.
ReplyDeleteMe too! It's the perfect ending to a post about the pool.
DeleteYou're right about AI and doctor things -- it is great for interpreting xray, blood work and scans. And, giving you an idea on where to begin when talking to the doc! I have to say I'm really enjoying the reflecting pool stuff -- apart from the fact that we''re paying for it due to rerouted funds from the National Park Service.
ReplyDeleteI am too enjoying his embarrassment over the pool. It's something he can't hide and it's fun watching him try to talk in circles. First saying the coating was so tough that it can't be cut with a knife and them seeing him trying to blame it on a vandal with a box cutter. The videos side-by-side are fun.
DeleteI love AL for doctor things too. Doctors today don't have the time to explain all that stuff to us. And we can ask better questions.
Rather than malign poor Ronald McDonald in that last photo, I think the creator should have used the evil clown from Stephen King's IT instead - you know, the clown that lures children into the sewers, where he lives. More fitting, I think.
ReplyDeleteAnywho, I'm sorry you're having trouble with your foot Jean. I hope you get some relief and a full recovery as soon as possible.
Deb
That really would have been more appropriate and not as funny.
DeleteMe too on the foot. I go back to the doctor next week.
When I had MOH's surgery on my inner leg just above the ankle three years ago the doctor put me on antibiotics as a precaution. He said our legs are basically "pillars of water" that rely on muscle contraction to get the blood back to the heart and lungs and that makes healing difficult; another reason I walk for a half an hour twice a day with my little dog. I saw my regular dermatologist recently and he said that area had healed well, that it definitely was a tricky spot. In fact, it took less time to heal than the one on my face that was done a week earlier.
ReplyDeleteMy late mother-in-law used to get ulcers on her legs because she didn't get out of her recliner much. But she lived to be a month and a half short of 100 years old, so go figure.
I've been walking, riding a bike or climbing up and downs stairs every day so it's good to know the exercise is good for my foot heeling as well as for weight loss.
DeleteI had my MOH's surgery in 2022 on my ankle and that spot STILL itches from time to time.
Wow, you've got a great gene pool going for you. Oops, that was your mother-in-LAW.
My own mother made it to 93.
DeleteYikes your foot looks bad. I hope it's healing well and quickly. Someone may have already said this but it's been found that the people who refurbished the reflecting pool last time said what trump wanted wasn't feasible. HA. But you know it's find someone to not care. The guy who did it built the mall in my hometown the shape of a gun and was always referred to as being "connected" did this new job. I think anything trump does is a failure. Besides wouldn't it have been easier to do what Chicago does every year for St. Patty's day - put his flag blue in the pool instead of damaging the pool? Nothing was wrong with it. God everything he touches Jeans turns to shit.
ReplyDeleteYes, the two other companies who turned the job down said the timeline Trump wanted was long enough to let the coating cure as per manufactures specs and to allow for any weather delays. Thus we ended up with another Yes Man. I'm really enjoying seeing Trump with egg on his face that he can't wipe off. I like your idea.
DeleteI don't know why anyone believes the "Liar in Chief".
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear about your foot pain. Hope it heals up soon, Jean!
I know enough who do believe him to be concerned for the future of our country.
DeleteMe too on the foot.
I didn't follow the reflecting pool coverage much so I got a kick out of reading about it from someone who paid closer attention.
ReplyDeleteI didn't identify the clown as Ronald McDonald until it was pointed out. Whoever put that together should get a raise. It would be funnier if it wasn't so sad to think half the country wanted someone like this representing us on the world stage. I'm crossing my fingers the mid-terms change the balance of power in Congress and slow him down for the last 2 years.
I just did a reverse image search trying to find out who first posted it but all I cam up with was the fact that the creator was poking fun of reflecting poo mess and the fact the 45/47 loves MacDonald hamburgers. The whole thing is funny except when you think about all the money he's wasting and what that money could have done to help people in need. It's a good time to be a lawyer, though.
DeleteWow. That foot looks painful. I am always being warned of foot injuries as a diabetic but it never occurred something like that could happen. It is really curious that you don't remember any injury to cause it. I'll take more care now.
ReplyDeleteI'm not diabetic, but have been in the pre-diabetic category for years on all my blood tests. Since this foot thing started I haven't had anything with sugar. So that should help with the healing? It is starting to form a scab but walking keeps cracking the scab open and I've been doing a lot of walking because of the GLP-1 I'm on.
DeleteStranger sucking on toes...you say that like it's a bad thing.
ReplyDeleteYou got me there. LOL
DeleteNot that I've ever do...I've said too much.
DeleteSorry about your foot. I hope it heals up. If only the people put in charge weren't crooks. But it was always a long con with them.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, he's not the only one in D.C. right now. He has so many enablers. And that's the scary thing.
DeleteIt’s hard to work up any enthusiasm for the 4th this year. As usual, he is making it all about himself. I do get a kick out if how few people are attending his grand Fair. And the idiocy of Faux News continuing to sit in front of a nearly empty space and broadcast. It’s the Emperor’s New Clothes come to life . LOL.
ReplyDeleteThe Reflecting Pool debacle is one of so many, many messes. I hope I live long enough to see some of this mess cleaned up, but it will take a long time.
Good luck with that foot. It looks really painful. :-(
You probably will life long enough to see a return to ethics and morals being important in government again---we can use another Obama or Ford or Carter administration again---but me being 10 years older (I'm guessing) I won't see it. It's going to take time.
ReplyDelete"I don’t remember hitting my foot, dropping anything on it, or doing anything dramatic like letting a stranger suck my toes.”
ReplyDeleteThis is my first visit to your blog, and the line above made me instantly decide that a link to it is being added to my website directory immediately. I have a lot of catching up to do, and I'm looking forward to it. -Kate
Thanks for stopping by. I'll return the favor soon.
DeleteThat Foot looks painful and I do hope it Heals, when the Feet are in Pain it's misery personified. My recent Foot Pain I just had to go to different Sandals and it alleviated it just fine. So that was a simple solution to a lingering problem, still don't know why it is a problem, the Doc said perhaps Arthritis??? The Reflection Pool just reflects what happens when you don't hire competent people and just hire Donors. The fact the Guy looks like a cheesy Mob Boss and has a company named Greewater, well, you can't write that kind of Comedy, it writes itself. More Grifting of Taxpayer Money for a failed project done half assed. I would rather during Socializing that the topics are fun and uplifting ones rather than Medical litanies, of which our Age Group Demographic have many... it comes with the territory and beats the alternative.
ReplyDeleteI need the support of a real foot to walk so Sandals won't work for me, especially since most go right over where the sores are at. I see the foot doctor Tuesday and I'm going to ask for another X-ray because I'm sure there is a broken bone in there, too.
DeleteI've enjoyed the very visual failures of the president's vanity projects around D.C. But now he has his sights on Mt Rushmore, getting his likeness carved along with the other presidents. Ain't going to happen.
Oh my.. your foot does not look good. I hope it gets better soon..
ReplyDeleteMe too. I see the doctor again tomorrow.
Delete