Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Extra Report from the Frozen North



PHOTO NOTE: That was just one of many pile-ups around town this week. This one was near a friend's house and his church (also close by) opened up as a warming center. Not sure how many cars were involved but the church took in over 100 people between victims and emergency workers. It took hours to get medical help for those who needed it, to sort out all the vehicles and haul them away, the accident reports written, the highway opened back up and all the people picked up who’d lost their cars to take them home.

This has been a horrible week. For the first time in my memory the U.S. Mail delivery was even canceled for several days. Trash pickup too. All the schools and public buildings are closed and many/most private businesses and offices. But the scariest of all is the energy companies last night put out a state-wide urgent warning asking everyone to turn our thermostats down to 65 because of a fire at a natural gas storage place down by the state line that supplies 65% of the state's heating sources. They say if enough people don't comply we can face total gas line supply interruptions. Only people who heat with propane are exempt. It’s scary for two reasons one of which is the people who maintain the infrastructure grids like this have been trying to sound an alarm for several years about how vulnerable our grids are to terrorist attacks and yet we have a stupid president who not only jokes about how two hundred million people in this country are suffering in the polar vortex, he doesn’t listen to his own intelligence people on where our national security risks and threats are and---hint---building a wall isn't going to reduce the real risks.

On the good side, I’ve been following my township’s official message board and---knock on wood---I’m not having problems like some others. Water pipes in homes and in the street freezing and breaking, furnaces going out, furnace and dryer vents getting covered in snow which can be deadly dangerous, doors freezing shut---had that in the past; it's very scary---and people desperate to find someone to plow or snow blow their driveways. (I don’t understand people who wait until it snows to hire someone to plow but that’s another story titled, Too Cheap and Short-Sighted.) When the storm finally breaks it will be roof cave-ins to worry about with the heavy snow and ice lifting shingles up.

Also on the good side, the media has been asking people to check on the elderly and I’ve gotten my fair share of calls---both my nieces, the son-I-wish-I-had and even a blogger friend called. One of my neighbors snow blows my sidewalk along the street when he does his own and another neighbor helped me shovel a snow drift that was up against my garage door where the driveway plower can’t reach. Today should be the last day before we get a break in the cold but we’ll all still have a lot of shoveling to do because most people just shoveled enough to keep our places accessible in case of emergencies and I, for one, will have to widen out the paths to the doors and dog yard to make room to stack snow from the next big snowfall. Every day I’ve been out shoveling but I’m been following all the safe-in-the-fridge-cold rules. I shovel for fifteen minutes, then come inside for thirty before going back outside which takes all day long. I also remember to drink plenty of water and nothing with caffeine---one is good for your heart, the other is a bad combined with cold air and shoveling.

In the house I’m dressed in a fleece lined sweatsuit, fleece lined fingerless gloves with L.L. Bean hand warmers inside, a wool neck scarf, silk long underwear, heavy socks and leg warmers. To go outside I add boots, long gaiters, a hat, a scarf wrapped around my face and neck, a puffy parka and snowmobile gloves. At night I add a ‘bed buddy’ to my bed that’s been heated in the microwave to keep my feet warm.

I could keep going on but you get the idea---it’s not only cold here in the frozen north it's been a lot of work for everyone. Today's high: predicted to be three degrees. ©

20 comments:

  1. Boy you must be northern Michigan!
    It was -5 when I walked Izzy at 5:15a.
    But it will be warmer today with a high of 20.
    Be safe Jean. I took a wicked fall yesterday on the ice.
    I am so sore today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I'm in West Michigan. We get a lot of Lake Effect snow here and the wind chillers have been brutal. Tomorrow the cold is supposed to start warming up and is said to be way above freezing by Monday. Headache weather for a great many of us to have such a drastic change in temperature over such a short time.

      You be safe, too, walking Izzy. I'm glad I don't have to walk Levi.

      Delete
  2. ...and Monday with a predicted 50 degrees, we will be getting our flip-flops and shorts out of the closet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 46 here and rain which will probably cause dense fog coming off the snow and we'll STILL be trapped inside with lots of accidents outside.

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking of you as I see the news and weather reports from the upper midwest. We are having cold weather in Maine, but it's not extreme cold -- -10 this morning and a high of about 15 this afternoon, colder than average but not unusual cold. Layers of silk, wool and fleece are my friends in winter (as is the down comforter on my bed). Like you, I do my shoveling in several short stints rather than all at once. When the temperature gets back to normal it will feel like spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weatherman just said the worst of the snow is over but we've got another night of sub-zero temperatures before the polar vortex exits. I must admit I don't think I could take another day of this. I can't imagine what it would be like for the utility people out working in the cold and wind to keep electric, water and gas going and the fire and the police. I saw a funny video put out by a police department offering self-arrest kits for anyone committing crimes in this weather. At least we still have our sense of humors.

      I think I need to invest in a down comforter. Stay safe the storm is coming your way.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh!! Wicked weather. Even Maui is having a cold snap ... down to 65 at night!! It snowed on top of our mountain!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Wicked" is the perfect word to describe it. Silly me, I thought all mountains got snow. Learn something new every day.

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about the cold weather and what you are going through, Jean! I am still on Vancouver Island (temp 44F, everything liquid and green) while back home it's -4F.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy it while you can and hopefully the cold will pass before you get back.

      Delete
  6. Great post, Jean. That's quite the pile-up.

    And yes, I feel it too. Ventured out this evening for the first time since last Friday and felt like Puxatawney Phil who just wants to go back in the hole. Speaking of which, we should be hearing from him soon. We expect flooding this weekend with a 40 degree temp rise and melting. Or rather I do in the basement. Tomorrow I will spend the day getting everything that might be in the path off the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting the flood warnings too. I will be alright as long at the sump pump keeps working. The one time it quit was a terrible mess, a lot of work and costly so you have my sympathy big time! At least they are walking back the severity on the rain coming...still coming but now light rain is predicted, not heavy which is the last thing we Michiganders need on top of melting snow.

      Be careful working on your basement!

      Delete
  7. I always dreamed of snow but really had no idea the misery it can bring. You are basically trapped in your home and dependent on utilities keeping you warm. Scary about the gas situation. Hope that fear has been resolved.
    Stay warm and safe Jean. Surely we are coming out the other side now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all storms are as bad as this one has been---worst since the '70's. Thankfully the fire at the gas storage place got put out and the pipeline redirected and we now can turn out thermostats back up. This should be a bellwether all over the country about our infrastructure. Scary!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. I was shocked at how cold it has been. We were still able to keep our furnace up to 70 degrees but I was worried about my windows. I hope that no people died from the accident. It always scares me when I see photos from accidents like this. It got down to -35 wind chill. Keep safe Jean. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, no one died in that accident but some people had to go to the hospital. I think the sadist death I heard about was a kid who got locked out of his college dorm and froze to death. Twelve weather related deaths here but I don't know how most of those happened. We've had those -35 wind chills too with white outs---just awful!

      Delete
  9. First, I'm glad to hear that the problems with the natural gas facility were gotten under control quickly. That could have snowballed (no pun intended!) into an even worse situation. Two bloggers I know came pretty close to bad ends, including a couple in Minnesota who thought they'd be home before the blizzard hit and got caught. They were almost home, but went in a ditch, I believe, and the storm was so bad they couldn't find the driveway up to their neighbor's house, even though they were right there. He happened to see what happened, and got to them. Another, a woman who farms in Illinois, has been trying to keep things going by herself, and clearly was hypothermic. Some of her animals froze, but they mostly got through it. Terrible.

    I meant to stop by yesterday and tell you how much I loved that singing school announcement. Did you get any unusual visits to your blog? I put the video up on Lagniappe, along with a link to your blog, thinking some folks might come and visit. It's just great to see school administrators seem to -- human!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get an influx in views on that blog post. Thanks for that.

      Your other blogger friends sure had some terrible storm stories to tell. Scary stuff. They tell you never to leave your car if you're stuck because it's easy to get lost in blowing snow. 36 people have died of weather related causes, I heard tonight on the news.

      Delete
  10. OK I'm sorry for my whining..... how awful. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all get to whine about our weather. It's been fun watching you do it about your snowy hill. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.