Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Too Much Screen Time!


Often times over dinner people here on the continuum care campus will ask each other what we did all day. A table of twelve might bring answers like, “I went to Macy’s…” or “…out to lunch with my daughter” or “I went to the farmer's stand south of town to buy sweet corn” or “I had physical therapy this morning and napped all afternoon.” I rarely have an answer that I feel like giving because the truth makes me sound so lazy. Instead, I’ll say I was busy all day but don’t remember what all I did. (And it just dawned on me that apparently I don’t mind looking like I have dementia setting in.) But the truth usually goes like this: I spent two hours writing a poem, then I wadded it up and threw in the waste basket” or  “I watched too many Facebook Shorts where I laughed or smiled at dogs, cats, gorillas, panda bears, two-toes sloths, immigrant comedies or a hottie Ukrainian dancer that takes me back to all the Gene Kelly movies I loved as a kid. I don’t actually tell anyone about the hottie so let’s keep that between us, okay? I don’t want anyone in my family or here at the CCC (should they stumble onto my blog) to label me as a---what? Couger? Creepy old woman who cyber stalks man-boys? Someone who wishes I was young enough to move my body the way Itslavik does?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1528848141257257 Itslavik

I have a habit of pigging out on too much screen time in my life. At night I watch an hour (sometimes two) of Netflix. I just finished binge watching Suits and I’m looking for something new that is binge worthy. I was half way through season six of Suits when I realized that one of the main characters is played by none other than the Maghan Markle. She’s really a good actress! Then she had to go and ruin the series by marrying The Spare to the Royal Monarch and the series wasn’t the same. I guess it wouldn’t be proper for the Duchess of Sussex to be filmed making out with her TV co-star. Such prudes, those British people. The writers sent her character and her TV husband off to California never to be seen again. The series is set at a New York lawyer firm that only hires from Harvard. Except for one guy. Maghan’s TV flame and later TV husband, Mike, who talked his way into a job as a lawyer even though he’d never been to lawyer school. Of course, he and the wall partner of the firm who hired him spent several seasons trying to hide that fact and another season trying to keep themselves out of prison.

I did find time to finish another custom paint-by-number. (You send a photo into the company and they turn it into a paint-by-number kit.) The painting I made with the kit is to the left. I gave it to the little girl's grandmother but her dog kept barking at it so she gave to her granddaughter, the subject of the portrait. I've had dogs do the same thing with other portrait paintings and I wasn't surprised because this one turned out with the "haunting eyes" that seem to look at you no matter where you stand. How cool is that! I had a hard time letting it go. The girl in the painting is older now and she loves her portrait so all's well that ends well.

I got a pedicure today and the place was overrun with little girls and their mothers. I was clueless that this has become a back-to-school ritual for people with their priorities out of order. In my humble opinion I should add. One woman with three daughters and herself paid $350 plus tip! If you have that much discretionary money on hand why not buy $25 worth of polish and files and teach your daughters how to give themselves or each other nail care and send the rest of the money to the Red Cross or some other charity helping out with the fires in Maui? A couple of those little girls acted like they'd rather be anywhere else but getting pampered by a manicurist and pedicurist at the same time. At least I have an excuse for getting my toenails done: I'm old and can't reach them anymore. I really hate paying for pedicures!

It feels like summer is already over with all the back to school stuff in stores and our fall schedule filling in here at the CCC. I signed up for way too many outings, given I've been busting my budget lately. But how could I turn down a bus trip to my favorite tourist town in the whole world? Or to High Tea or to a lecture by the author of a Braiding Sweetgrass? I’ve only gone to High Tea once, back 15-20 years ago when I was in the Red Hat Society. After I signed up for this tea I remembered I no longer have a hat nor an outfit suitable for the event. So I hopped on Amazon and order a $7.00 Flapper hat that will go with the best outfit in my closet---black pants and a black and white crepe tunic with flowing sleeves. I’ll be woefully under dressed but there is nothing new about that for me and it won’t spoil my fun of reliving the playtime tea parties I had with my mom and my nieces when they were wee little girls. We didn't dress up like princesses or Garden Club ladies like my Red Hat sisters did but my imagination can color in those details just the same. 

Also on the front of what's new in my life is my drafting table and magnifying light. I didn't think I'd be able to show you this photo because the stupid email on my phone quit working so I couldn't email photos to my computer. It took me forever to figure out how to sent a photo to the cloud and pull it back down. Ya, I know I should have learned how to do this years ago instead of emailing myself photos. Call me paranoid but I don't trust those clouds not to be easily hacked. The table is sitting in my living room window and it looks exactly like I envisioned my apartment would be when I picked it out. It just took me nearly
two years to get my act together. Now, I have to get my head together and wrapped it around fixing my email.  Again. I spent over two hours trying every fix on the internet including uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. Still doesn't work. The next step is to call the Jiggerbug's tech department but I have to be in the right mood for that.

Until next Wednesday.  ©

 


It's a long clip but it shows the chemistry between these to characters and how the hiring happened.

33 comments:

  1. I binge watched Suits years ago and enjoyed seeing that clip again. I also love that portrait you painted, even if dogs don't. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the house it ended up in doesn't have dogs. LoL

      Delete
  2. We are binging Suits right now and quite enjoying it. I saw a few episodes when it was on Amazon Prime and then forgot about it until it showed up on Netflix. It was actually shot in Toronto when our kids were living there (although the location shots are NYC). I agree that Meghan Markle is fun to watch and I can't imagine the Royals would be keen on her doing love scenes with someone on screen. LOL.

    Sounds like you have a lot of fun things lined up for fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I assumed that Meghan was just an actress in name only and living in social circles that came in contact with in the Royal Court. But she has some acting chops, doesn't she.

      Our social director just added a sip & paint to the schedule and a dinner at the culinary College downtown. And we have a big anniversary party coming up.

      Delete
  3. There are days that seem lost to me, due to too much screen time. It's hard to believe how quickly the hours go by. When I start to feel lazy, I try to get some chores done (but I generally go back to watching YouTube videos once I'm done).

    Love your painting of the young girl. I'm sure she and her family will enjoy it for years to come.

    Jean, I think you were wise to sign up for lots of outings this fall. When winter rolls in, it's harder to get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall used to be a season I dreaded coming because it meant lots of work getting screens down and storm windows up, leaves rakes and bagged up, and snow plow equipment out of storage and brought to town. So I'm glad it's a different kind of busy now days.

      Delete
  4. I've always wondered if there was someone at a CCC who would be able to help me with tech questions or problems, if needs be. As someone with no family members to help, it would be very nice to have someone available for those of us who are less tech inclined than most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the CCC employees two IT guys who work on both our campuses. When someone new moves in they'll help get our TVs connected to cable and other devices hooked up to their WiFi and set up our printers. After that we have to pay for the service and it isn't cheap, but I'm thankful we have it on campus and I've used it twice. One of the guys teaches a class here too on doing things and answering questions. Our concierge will print anything attachment we sent in an email so a lot of people don't even have printers. She has helped a lot of people with minor issue with their devices too. Having an IT service was an important to me in picking out a CCC.

      Delete
  5. If I had seen that photo of your apartment before I'd ever known anything else about you, I'd have instantly wanted to meet you. How can you think what you do is not "report worthy" to your gathering group? I know you can't tell that audience about your blog, but they already know you write. Call it "journaling." Talk about your poems, your painting, and, yes, even Itslavik. You're captivating all of us, a fter all! Itslavik doesn't do anything for me, but the lead singer from the German band AnnenMayKantereit does, especially in a clip of that band collaborating on "Can't Get You Out of My Mind" with the Parcels who have a lead singer who reminds me of George Harrison. (Was it you who first introduced me to this band?) Who doesn't want to be back in those moments when our bodies moved freely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you. Maybe next time I'll try that. A couple of my poems have been published in your campus newsletter and they know I started the creative writing group here so many me admitting how much time I send writing wouldn't be the mind field I think it would.

      Just watched your German band on YouTube sing that song. Thanks for posting it. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only older person who likes to watch young people doing music/dancing. Great song, by they way.

      Delete
  6. Netflix has a lot of good content. Rick and I rarely start something that we end up not finishing.

    I think if you have a fancy hat, the rest of the outfit won't really matter. The hat shows that you're embracing The Idea Of High Tea. Besides, the important part is that you're not wearing a pair of jeans or sweatpants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same with Netflix...start a series but get board with it near the end. I think the writers run out of good ideas to put their characters through or they loss your favorite characters along the way. Suits just wasn't the same without Mike.

      That's what I thought about High Tea. I wear jeans here most of the time so I will look dressed up in an outfit the people here have only seen once. Add the hat and my Mary Janes, some jewelry which I never wear here and I'll be in the spirit of the event. I still can't get over how many women here wear a bunch of jewelry every day. Good stuff too.

      Delete
  7. I can waste a lot of time playing solitaire on my computer. I usually watch TV only after dinner but have binged watch on weekends sometimes.
    I'm glad you are enjoying all of the events offered and bet you will get lots of use out of your new drafting table when the weather gets colder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to play a lot of solitaire on line too. Until I discovered online Mahjong.

      Delete
  8. I never watched Suits but I see it's the highest rated stream on Netflix. We just finished Lincoln Lawyer. Ooh was that ever good. I never saw the movie because I am not Matthew McConaheys biggest fan but my husband did and said it was not even close to as good as the Netflix series. You can also tell it was written by David E Kelley. He did Boston Legal, LA Law and Hill Street Blues and the list goes on. I like his shows. So we gave it a try. two thumbs up. I like the Lincoln Lawyer, he's someone I've never seen acting before. He has a sweetness to his character that you don't see in Matthew Mc. Give that one a shot when you are done with Suits. I bet you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I binged watch the Lincoln Lawyer before Suits and I agree with everything you've said. The newest season that just came out I just started again.

      Delete
  9. I have never binged watched anything I just don't have the desire to do so, in fact I watch far less TV then I use to now I find so many shows stupid or boring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your drafting table and the great position it has by your windows. I haven't seen Suits but I don't have netflix anymore either. I was poaching with a friend but they changed the rules! The tea sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a wonderful work space with all the windows. South facing which is the dream of all artists. The top of the table is big enough for puzzles if I use sorting trays for the pieces which I had to do with the Antique Duncan Fife table I was using for crafts and hobbies. That was my mom's table and I was afraid I'd mess up its finish.

      Delete
  11. What a perfect spot! A Jitterbug? I just thought you'd have a smartphone, if not an iPhone. I love that we all have Apple devices (and Alexa). I spend at least two hours every morning reading the local newspaper, NYT, emails, Facebook and then up to the minute headlines. Some days I while away the whole day watching fun videos and looking up recipes. I try not to feel guilty since I spent 18 years rushing around working and raising a kidlet with NO time for myself. We've earned it! I sure do love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Jitterbug Smart 3 which does everything an Apple iPhone will do but it uses words instead of icons and their tech service is wonderful and used to dealing with old people. Best part is it only costs $149 which means I don't have to worry about getting mugged for my phone. I've been with the company for 15-20 (?) years.

      You win the screen time contest between the two of us and you have the right idea about not feeling guilty about it. I can't master that. Cheers to you!

      Delete
  12. I've never engaged in binge watching, or binge drinking, for that matter. I have edged toward binging on ice cream from time to time. If only I could take up something like binge cleaning!

    I really like that painting you did. I would have had a hard time letting go of it myself. I like the expression on the child's face: a combination of vulnerability and curiosity, maybe. It was a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never binge drank but I have binge cleaned and binged eat ice cream...but not at the same time.

      The minute I saw that photo f my great-great niece I wanted to paint it. I just didn't think I'd be painting it in paint-by-number. But it's most as satisfying as doing them from "scratch" so to speak.

      Delete
  13. As much as I love high tea, I would’ve opted for the talk with the author of Braiding Sweetgrass…I love that book! I do tend towards binge watching…only because if I wait too long between episodes I can forget certain details of the plot (which I will argue to the death is the fault of the writer and not that I fell asleep while watching 😉). Have a great week, Jean!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I don't have to choose, I can do both the high tea and the lecture. I fall asleep often when binging and the next night I'll have to repeat an episode.

      Delete
  14. I moved from the coast back to Portland in July, and have watched very little anything on TV. Staying with my son and have a TV in my room, just not into it for some reason. Always have something to read myself to sleep however!
    Itslavik did it for me! I'm not one bit embarrassed by watching someone who can move like that. Didn't we all love to dance when we were younger??
    I got caught up in shuffle dancing last year and tried to teach myself, but the coordination needed doesn't exist anymore so I'll content myself with watching others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhO7wSAoQCI

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, great! Now Google isn't letting me sign in with own name on my own blog. Anyway, that's a great video of Sven Otten. I can see similarities in his style to Itslavik's. He, too. The dancers of my generation where all about grace and beauty. Today's have more joint defining moves and high energy and are fun to watch.

    Are going to be living with your son from now on or just until you find a place of your own. If so, I hope you have a painting space of your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just with junior until I find a place of my own. Wish there were more choice of CCC's here. Just 2 that I know of and one is totally out of reach financially. Most of my art supplies are in storage so that's on hold. Plenty of other stuff going on to keep me busy however.

      Delete
    2. It will be like Christmas when you finally do get settled enough to unpack your art stuff. Enough the search for a new place.

      Delete
  16. Have fun at your High Tea, I used to do mad Tea Parties with Princess T when she was little, such Fun. I like that Realism Paint-by-Number, it turned out really good and was a nice Gift to the Child Modeled in it. Days can slip by us so quickly now it seems, no matter what it is we're busy doing or not doing. The Son will now be working Nights starting Monday, so, I have Three whole Days of Sleeping in, Bliss I tell ya! *LOL* I've been in a Nostalgic Head Space lately... I think mostly becoz Today's World seems to be turning upside down and sideways and it's unsettling to me. I had some Old White Lady come up to The Man and I at a Goodwill and begin a terribly Racist conversation that I didn't EVEN want to engage in, certainly didn't solicit, so I shut it down immediately with a contemptuous reply... I just Hate it when someone clearly MAGAt and random just assumes we're as Hateful as they are and has those conversations we don't ever wanna have... I just wanted her to get away from me before she got to meet Dark Dawn. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I threw a mad hatters tea for my 75th birthday and it was so much fun.

      MAGA people are like that, they think they are in the majority and that we all think like they do. They didn't get enough push back when Trump came on the scene so I hope they get a rude awakening when/if Trump pays for his crimes in court.

      My husband and dad always liked working nights better than the day shifts. Both did it for years. Hope the change helps your family.

      Delete
  17. High tea is something I love to treat myself to when I'm traveling. As far as I'm concerned, no trip to London would be complete without high tea at Fortnum and Mason, and a trip to Victoria, BC should always include high tea at the Empress Hotel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past we had to travel out of town for High Tea but we've recently gotten a new shop in town that specializes in tea and booking High Tea parties. So this should be fun.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.