Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Schnauzer Land Birthdays

Levi my Mighty Schnauzer is officially a senior citizen. He’s turning twelve years old on the 21th. Miniature schnauzers have an average life span of 12 – 15 years and while he doesn’t have any health issues I do see subtle changes in his looks and health. For one thing, he up-chucks more often than he used to which wouldn’t be so bad if he didn’t purposely run to the nearest carpet to do it. I learned the hard way not to try to catch him when the tell-tale retching sounds begins because he’ll vomit on the fly instead of in a neat, easier-to-clean-up pile. And he’s also developed a fast growing mole so one of his birthday presents will be a trip to the vets office to remove it (if his groomer doesn’t accidentally do it first) and I suppose they’ll want to biopsy it which seems like a waste of money because anyone with eyes can see it’s not your garden variety growth…unless you’re trying to grow mutant raspberries. Just take it off!

I did buy him two gifts already, one he doesn’t like and I didn’t expect him to and the other I knew he’d pout about giving up his old version of his new gift. Let’s be honest here. I bought the gifts for myself but his January birthday reminded me it was time to do something about a couple of dog related problems here in the Land of Levi With the Annoying Bark and the Worn Out Security Blanket.

Ever since last fall when both of my across-the-street neighbors put fences up and both adopted fast-growing litter mates, Levi has spent four times a day barking at the dogs as they run back and forth at the property line---two on one side and another one on the other side of the fence. Levi barks. He begs. He whines. He pretends he’s got urine up to his eyeballs and MUST get outside, Right this minute, Mom! He’d like nothing better than to join the action as the two dogs who live together tumble and tease the third dog as she tries to dig her way under the fence.

I’m been threatening to buy Levi an anti-barking collar, I even have one researched and saved on my Amazon Wish List. Then I got another idea. Years ago I had a window in a door that looked right into my kitchen and living room so I covered it with frosted contact paper that let the light in but you couldn’t see anything but shadows on the other side. Sure enough, they sell a modern version—static cling stuff---with dozens of choices in patterns and designs. It took me over an hour to decide what to order, then I camped out by the door for Amazon’s two day delivery. I couldn’t get that stuff applied fast enough. I’d had enough of trying to distract Levi with offers of treats and hearing myself yell “ENOUGH!” and other dog-mama commands that didn’t work for more than a few minutes. Praise the overlords for static cling decorative film! It works. Sneaky me, I put it on the glass panels alongside the front door when Levi was out of sight and I’m pretty sure he thinks he’s getting cataracts or developing a strange kind of old-man’s blindness that only effects his views to the north but not the south.

The other birthday gift I bought was a set of baby receiving blankets. Every dog I’ve ever had has had his or her own set of receiving blankets that I use to line dog beds, put on car seats or in chairs or even on the ground---any place that is an Approved-by-the-Management place for a canine to lay. I’ve also let them drag their blankets around and pick their own ‘safe place’ to park them and claim some temporary turf. And all of my four-legged babies have been wrapped in a receiving blanket when he or she was buried. Levi got his set of four blankets at twelve weeks old and he was down to his last one which recently acquired a dozen shred lines. Enter the new set and it only took him two days to put a couple of holes in one of the blankets when he tried to dig it out of his bed. I don’t blame him, I blame the cheap ass baby blankets.

The pet store always sends Levi a $5.00 coupon for his birthday and I will take him over there after his next haircut on Monday and let him pick out something so long as it’s not a cow or pig bone bigger than he is---actually, any size. When he was younger he usually picked out new stuffies but in recent years he’s been more interested in treats and, of course, they put the most disguising, gravy (and bacteria) laced cow and pig parts on the lower shelves like they do with sugary cereal at the grocery stores for little kids to grab. Afterward we’ll go to Starbucks where they’ll give him a free pupappuccino otherwise known as a cup of cream. Levi gets better birthdays than I do! No one buys me a day at the spa and while Starbucks does give me a free drink on my birthday, Levi just has to present his smiling face at Starbuck’s takeout window to get a free pupappuccino any time he wants one. ©

This is what Levi sees now. I left the top panel open so I can still see out.

Poor boy, his life changed dramatically and it only cost me $10 and a half hour.


The company's photo of their product. At night from the outside it looks like colored stained glass.

46 comments:

  1. What a clever way to solve your problem! I'm glad it worked so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have another window in my library I should cover but Levi has to stand on a chair to see the other dogs so he doesn't stay there as long. In my new place it will have floor to ceiling windows so the film will get applied before Levi gets there.

      Delete
  2. Levi is just like you and I, Jean. It's called being old. I guess that's the way it happens. You and the mighty Levi have a wonderful day but be careful out there because there is so much snow and ice.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing we got 7 inches and I need to get out an shovel Levi's area before long. They say what's coming next at noon is rain then temperature drops to turn what is on the ground to cement. Thankfully, one of my neighbors snow blowed my front sidewalk so I have less to shovel than I thought I would.

      Delete
    2. Well my comment disappeared. That was a clever idea to fool Levi. Had to smile at what he may think happened. Callie is the same with my neighbor's dog who is a good 2 football fields away. She can only see her when outside so no real problem.

      Delete
    3. I didn't really mind his occasional barking at the front door until the puppies moved in. It was like an early warning doorbell that I could actually hear. But like Callie, Levi can see another dog a mile away, it seems, and those dogs are on a regular schedule of 20 minutes four times a day!

      Delete
  3. That window covering idea is so clever....and attractive! What a find! You and Levi are such a great team. Happy Birthday, Big Boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's probably going to get the anti-bark collar before we move. I just can't decide how soon I want to make his life miserable. He's going into serious training to learn how not to bark on walks next summer. He goes nuts when he sees another dog. I make him sit until the other dog passes but he still keeps barking even though the rest of him is calm.

      Delete
  4. Great idea on the window film. Why keep stressing both you and Levi out with constant reprimands, and to little avail?

    You give Levi a really nice birthday! He has a good life with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for him living with just me, we used to take him to daycare once in a while so he could play with other dogs. I don't do that anymore since we used to drop him off before our monthly pizza date that are no more. He used to have a friend who came over to play but his "parents" moved. He doesn't get walked as often as other does since he has his own yard. But that will have to change. But I am enjoying the lower stress level of him not barking so much even though it makes me feel guilty for denying him so much pleasure..

      Delete
  5. That cling stuff is beautiful!
    Levi is such a good companion for you. He needs to be spoiled and pampered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would not believe all the beautiful choices they have in the static cling stuff. When applied you'd never guess the glass isn't etched glass.

      He is good company, keeps up up and moving. I dread when he dies because he's probably my last dog.

      Delete
  6. Levi is a cute dog! And what a clever solution. Those film products have obviously come a long way, as I looked for something like that when we bought this house (for another purpose) and wasn't able to find anything that nice. I ended up using a film that sticks like contact paper and looks like etched glass (solid not patterned). It was a nightmare to apply! I think I still have a few little bubbles, but I decided I could live with it and it serves its purpose.

    My DH took our doggo to Chow Hound for a bath, and on the way out while DH was paying, Doggie decided to snatch a treat from a low display. The clerk laughingly said "Thief!" and DH ended up paying for it. I'm sure they do that intentionally. Our poor guy has been diagnosed with a degenerative thing that is making his back end less functional and he already had a fatal heart condition. This is probably his last year (months?) and we're both feeling a bit down over it. We don't want him to suffer, but he's still his crazy self right now and the vet gave him some new meds yesterday, so I'm hoping he hangs in for a while anyway. Our house will be really empty without him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once our pets start going down hill, it seems to happen so fast. I'm always hope they can pick their own time to die without suffering but sometimes that's not possible. It's so hard!

      Chow hound most definitely baits our dogs. LOL

      That static cling stuff is SO easy to apply and reposition. Back when I was buying stuff to prevent bird strikes I wish I'd had this stuff. It's a fraction of the cost as those made for birds and would work just as good. Since I don't feed birds anymore I don't need.

      Delete
  7. “Not funny, mom, not funny.” Hope Levi has a great birthday and many, many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time he went to the window and couldn't see, he looked right at me like he KNEW. If only dogs could talk he probably did say something like that... LOL

      Delete
  8. That cling film is really pretty. bl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you affirmed exactly what I was thinking: that static cling film could work very well on car mirrors, windows, and such when birds start attacking their own reflections. You mentioned repositioning it, so I assume it can be put on, taken off, and put back on if needed. That's a really clever solution, and pretty, as well.

    I can't get over Starbucks and their 'puppucino.' That's just crazy -- but pretty smart marketing, too, now that I think about it. Love my dog, love me, to paraphrase the old saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The company does not recommend it for outside but I think it would work on any glass surface. It just might not stay on as long as some people would like. You you could definitely reuse it if your kept the backer film.

      It's a great marketing ploy for Starbucks.

      Delete
  10. I love your bark control for specific locations but there is a cheaper, very effective anti-bark device that doesn't involve tiny shocks or citronella spray. It does involve a bit of effort on your part, (keeping it nearby or in your pocket) but it trains your dog not to bark - anytime you say 'no bark'. It's called an ultra-sonic trainer and it emits a high pitched tone that only animals can hear. One quick click of the button and 'no bark' from you will result in a trained dog in about 3 weeks. And it's only about $20! Most pet shops carry them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hug the stuffings out of you for this tip! I just read up about these and there is one with a 50 foot range that would work inside the house that automatically gives the high pitched sound when the dog barks. Perfect for when I move and I'm away from my unit. I'm going to get the a pocket one for when we start walking in the spring. I just hope it works on dogs that are going deaf!

      Delete
    2. I was just reading Q&A on this type of sound device and the company says not to use it for dogs over 12 because it won't work on dogs with declining hearing which Levi has. So I'm back to thinking the shock collar is my best option.

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday to your best friend! What a great tip the cling on window thing is. I love how I always learn of something I NEED (want) after hearing about it here. Schnauzers are very smart so it won't take long to calm the barking.

    I'm not sure how old you are, but I think getting another dog would be a good thing ... and you at least have 12-15 years left????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the young secretaries that was let go at the CCC told me that after they did their evaluation of my health that they estimate I'll be living in my independent unit for 8 years then they'll bring in help for assisted living for two months before I'm sent to skilled nursing for a month before I die. She wasn't supposed to tell me. So... that doesn't give me much time for another dog. I might foster.

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday, Levi! I bought one of those collars for Maggie at one point. They know when it's on and when it's off. Dogs are so smart! Love the cling stuff on your windows. I used curtains with the rods at the top and the bottom so they couldn't be opened. It does work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that your dogs know when the collars are on and when there's not. I've never had a dog that barks as much as Levi. Here, it doesn't matter so much because the neighbors aren't close but I need to start working on the problem. One of my neighbors has an electric fence for her dog and when the battery is dead in his collar he's over here. He must know too.

      Delete
    2. I used to babysit for my brother and SIL and they had a dog who was trained with a shock collar. Eventually he didn't need to wear it...you just had to pick up the remote signal device and he straightened right up. LOL.

      Delete
    3. I was sort of hoping they worked like the citronella collars that go off on their own when the barking starts. But that's funny your brother's dogs making the connection between the remote and the shock. Had them trained well.

      Delete
  13. I love those DIY window coverings. I put some on the transom windows over my interior doors and they not only look like stained glass, they look original to the building.
    Happy birthday to Levi! My Lucy was with me until a couple of months before her 15th birthday. I hope you have many more enjoyable years together, puking on the rug (Lucy abhorred bare floors for that purpose too) notwithstanding.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't understand the instinct that makes dogs want to vomit on carpeting instead of hard surface floors. They all seem to prefer it.

      Ohmygosh, the window film comes in so many patterns and colors you could make it look original to any older building or architecture house.

      Delete
    2. Cats also prefer to vomit on soft surfaces -- carpet, upholstery, your bed! -- and will make a beeline there if they are on a hard, easy-to-clean surface. I always chalked it up to the general perversity of cats, but knowing that dogs do this too puts a different spin on it.

      Delete
    3. I just googled reasons why pets prefer to vomit on carpeting and there are two theories, one more popular with animal behaviorists than the other. Most think they are looking for a place where they can bury their vomit and carpeting more closely resembles that. The other theory is they seek the a place with better traction for their feet. I learn something new every day!

      Delete
  14. That is nice cling stuff. My windows are raised and Buddy can't see out but he can hear and runs to the door with his head tilted and barks. Since my hearing is so bad, I never know what he is barking at. Buddy also loves to do that run back and forth at the fence trick. We have a neighbor with two big dogs and he tenses up every time we near their house. Luckily they are not always outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always hear the doorbell so I'm hoping Levi can still hear if someone is there even though he can no longer see anyone.

      I love watching the puppies across the street greet each other and play at the fence line. In the summer they will be able to dig themselves under, I have no doubt.

      We've had an explosion of new dogs in the neighborhood and all of them are big. I don't feel as comfortable walking as I used to.

      Delete
  15. Wow, that is one lucky birthday boy! Let us know what he chooses at the pet store. I laughed when you put the cling stuff on the window and speculated that Levi was thinking he was getting cataracts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just got back home from his birthday events. He picked out an obscenely expensive cookie made at a local doggie bakery---$3.00!

      By the way, the groomer cut off the top of "raspberry mole" and now it looks like a regular mole. He says he sees that kind in older dogs all the time. Scared me how fast it grew! He's says it will come back, didn't bleed or anything.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad Levi was spoiled with his obscenely expensive Cookie, they are always the best ones. *Winks*

      Delete
  16. Oh your Post about The Land of Levi cracked me up... and I'm glad he had a spectacular Birthday and you found a solution for the Barking Madness. One of the Properties we almost bought {Zen Boheme'} in hindsight had too many Barking Dogs on the adjacent properties behind it and to the side of it... big barking Dogs who would have gone Mental upon seeing Miss Priss our Cat... who delights in tormenting Dogs {and People} since that's just how she Rolls. So I'm glad we did not buy that place since the Barking just while we examined the back yard, got on my last nerve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those ultra-sonic anti-barking devices I researched is made to hang outside and has a 50 foot range and works on your neighbor's dogs when they bark...good to know, isn't it.

      Delete
  17. Happy birthday to Levi! We have a 14-year-old Cavalier. The poor boy is slowing down, but then he acts like a puppy when you get out his favorite treats (green beans or almonds). That contact paper you got for the door is beautiful--and I hope efficient at its job. I found your blog through a comment you left on Boomer Girls Guide's winter bucket list. I thoroughly enjoyed this post. Have a lovely day!

    ~Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over. The static film is doing the job I hoped it would. Levi loves green beans too. I buy them fresh and frozen both. I have him almonds once in a while if I'm eating trail mix.

      Delete
  18. I say, Happy Birthday, Levi! (And what IS it with animals hurling on the carpet, six inches from a hard surface?) He looks great and I hope he has many more!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Since we moved into our current home almost 5 years ago I think the neighborhood dog population has tripled. They are everywhere now: big, small, quiet, noisy, yappers, growlers and howlers. The static window shield is a great idea except our dogs react to noise, not sight. So, they bark. Of course, walking them is enough to set off every dog within 2 blocks.

    You are lucky with Levi, even if he does hurl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levi is a really good boy except for his barking but we're going to work on that. He sits when little kids approach him when we're walking so they can pet him. He's fine with being alone for half a day, never ruins anything.

      We got seven new dogs move into houses I can see...all within the last two years.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.