Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, March 7, 2020

The Fun Part of Moving Forward



March brought me to another benchmark along the path to the next chapter of my life---the long awaited appointment at the continuum care campus where I’ll be moving the spring of 2021. The purpose of this one-on-one appointment was to pick out my paint colors, countertops, flooring choices and my free $5,000 worth of upgrades for signing up in pre-construction. So let’s go on a tour. 

My unit is 1,057 square feet, the next to the smallest of the five floor plans available in the 52 units complex. (The smaller one is only 60 square feet less.) The 52 units are spread out between three buildings, each with three floors. The largest units face a lake. My place will be the first door off the main lobby of my building and about 25 to 30 feet across the lobby from my door is the gym which will have a full wall of floor-to-ceiling windows that overlooks the lake. My plan is to hop on an exercise bike a half hour before sunset so I can get lost in the view, lost in watching the water fowl flying in to bed down for the night and the sky change colors. Maybe then I won't notice that I hate what I'm doing.

When you open the door to my unit you’ll be coming into the kitchen area. I picked out white cabinets to go with a white subway tile backsplash and a medium gray quartz countertop, stainless steel appliances and medium gray vinyl flooring that simulates wood.





Looking through the unit to the far wall are white-framed floor-to-ceiling windows. The same vinyl flooring will run throughout the kitchen/dining and living areas with an area rug defining the living area---I’ll buy that after moving in. My painting easel will go in front of the corner windows opposite the door going out to the patio. The wall color will be white Chantilly Lace. On the opposite wall of the kitchen area the first door goes to a laundry room, the next door goes to a half bath and then there’s a five foot wide, sliding pocket door to a room they call a den. That room has an eight foot long closet on one end and a window on the opposite wall. I have a drop-leaf table that my mom refinished that will fit in the closet and when the closet and one leaf of the table is open I can use it for sewing, cutting out quilt blocks or doing large jigsaw puzzles plus I'll have plenty of room left over to store all my craft supplies. That room will also hold a computer desk that I'll buy after I move in. The walls and flooring in the den/hobby room will be the same as in the main living area and I've got oriental style area rug to add blacks, blues and whites to the room.

The bedroom and master bath area will have smoke colored walls and the bedroom and walk-in closet will have gray carpeting. Both bathrooms will have a dark gray ceramic tile on the floor, white cabinets and the same countertop as in the kitchen. The bedroom decor will look like my current bedroom that you can find at this link. I’m sure my bland color choices sounds boring to some, but I never get tired of living with neutrals. I’d rather add color with things that are easily swapped out. Living with strong colors effects my moods too much and not in a good way. My main living area will start out borrowing accent colors from my bedroom quilt of aqua and coral, but I could easily change those accents down the road to blues, greens and/or yellows.

 

Smoke
For my $5,000 worth of free upgrades they gave me a menu list of things I could pick from---crown molding, a fireplace, tray ceilings, a shower in the half bath and I picked a closet system in the master closet, the custom paint color in the master suite and a gas instead of an electric range. I will still have $1,000 left to spend after move-in to spend on tweaks like adding an outlet plug in the den closet, putting a shelf above the washer and dryer and getting one of their 3’ x 8’ storage units for the end of my assigned parking place. Signing up in pre-construction also got me $10,000 off the purchase price that people reserving units now are no longer getting, and we get to pick out our underground parking spaces out in the order we each paid our first deposits. I'll be the fourteenth person to pick so my odds of being near my elevator are good, given the fact that those ahead of me probably won't all be in my building. My laundry room's back wall shares that wall with the elevator so I won't have far to go to get to my car.

I went to this appointment at the sales office with two, typewritten pages of questions and I came home all pumped up and happy again. Tim, the-son-I-wish-had, is coming over Monday to take another load of stuff to the auction house and when I got home from picking out my finishes I started adding more to the auction pile, bringing my total of items up to a hundred. I am letting go of things I've been too attached to up until now. I just hope we don't get a late spring snow storm that would keep people away from the auction. When the decisions to let go are hard ones, I at least want that balanced off with fair prices.   ©

My closet won't be exactly like this because it's a walk-in that wraps two walls. This is the generic handout they gave me. Closer to move-in I'll get a say in the design's layout and the elements in ii.

55 comments:

  1. Huiw exciting! It's starting to feel real. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! When I was out there, the underground parking area was up and visible thus you could see how the buildings are sited into the property.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I can't wait to see your completed unit. It sounds like it'll be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. I made scale model furniture of all the things I want to keep and have been moving them around the floor plan. It's all starting to come together on what has to go and what I can keep.

      Delete
  3. I really like the choices you made. I agree that neutrals are the way to go; it makes it easy to add any range of colours as accents any time you want.

    Your upgrades are smart, too. I vastly prefer cooking with a flame, and having a closet system adds a ton of storage. We have that at the lakehouse and it eliminated the need for dressers. You did an awesome job with your array of options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I could have all the upgrades if I wanted to pay extra for them but I wanted to keep within my $5,000 freebies. I debated whether or not to get the gas---that was $700---because I really don't cook much, but I reasoned I'm too insecure in the kitchen to start adding another element to learn.

      Delete
  4. Lovely choices! How nice to be able to make your next home completely as you like it. Good luck with the auction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The choices can drive you crazy. But once I make them, I no regrets. Now, I'm planning my wall/art space so I'll know what I have that I can keep and what has to go. I may actually be able to buy something new. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  5. Exciting time,Jean. Only a year away. I notice there's no closet at the entry to your new unit. Or is it in the laundry area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That bugs me too, not having a coat closet by the door. I will do something in the laundry room to hang in season coats and have a boot tray as well.

      Delete
  6. I like those choices and your unit looks great! I'm with you - much prefer to swap out cushions etc., to change up the look rather than constantly repaint or recover furniture. So a neutral backdrop and/or furnishings works well. And I love plain white subway tile in the kitchen, preferring again to bring in bold colours or patterns with other items such as artwork, colourful serving trays or my deep purple mixer! How exciting!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That had some beautiful glass tiles for backsplashes but I just couldn't see locking into one color for the rest of my life, so subway tiles won out.

      Deep purple...that's a great color.

      Delete
  7. Wow, how exciting all this must be. It will be just the way you want. Your place is much larger than my house so you should have plenty of room. I'd sure think of the fireplace as one of my choices though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I would have picked the fireplace then I would have had to give up the space needed for my bookcases. And because the place has backup power, I won't ever need a fireplace for heat. I've never lived in a house with a fireplace so I won't be missing something I never had. I'm sure there will be lots of them in the building, though. It's a popular upgrade.

      Delete
  8. Your unit will be lovely! I love the colors you have chosen. Quite a spacious layout and how nice to have a balcony/outdoor space. It is going to be great! How lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll be counting my pennies after I move in but it will be worth it to know whatever happens to my health, I'll be able to stay on that campus until I die or get dementia.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I hope so. The construction company has a great reputation as does the non-profit building/enlarging the current campus.

      Delete
  10. Love your choices! And the smoke color is one I would also choose. Also, I've gone back to cooking on an electric stovetop while visiting my mom, and gas is just so much easier to control. This all looks lovely, and I can see why you are excited!

    I'm pretty sure that lake is one my dentist's office overlooks, and it's a great view! The sunsets will be amazing and the swans are always interesting to watch. As well, the walking trails/sidewalks around that area are great. If you are where I think you are, I bought one of the first condos in the development across from the dentist and lived there for five years. I LOVE that area. Excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you know the place. The dentist office is on the east end of the lake and the non-profit campus where I'll be was offered their property for their expansion but according to our CEO they said they wanted too much, but will buy it eventually if the price comes down. After we both get settled we'll have to meet for coffee.

      I have not seen the swans yet! That's exciting. Some of the current residents in the independent living condos directly across from the dental office (the old part of the CCC) have posted some great photos of the birds and water fowl. I'll need those walking trails with Traders Joe's so close by for shopping.

      Delete
  11. I like your color selections. The floor plan looks livable which is important. And a balcony too. How exciting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to pick colors from the little samples boards but I think they'll work well together.

      My outdoor area is a deck rather than a balcony since I'll be on the ground floor but I'm off to a side that won't get much foot traffic in front of my windows and deck.

      Delete
  12. FABULOUS! I want to move in with you!! Love all of your choices and thanks for sharing visuals. Modern yet cozy colors, in my opinion. Everything is coming together. You must be so proud of all that you are doing, even though parting with things is bittersweet.

    CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closer I get the sweeter it gets and the less bitterness that is left.

      It will have a modern feel I think with a twist in the color palette and theme which is beach cottage. I want to feel like I'm on vacation.

      Delete
  13. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your color selections! The neutral tones will allow you to change accent colors - either according to the seasons, or your whims. I imagine it will be hard to wait until spring of next year to make your move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking of changing the accents twice a year and keeping a box of the "trades" in my storage unit. There will be a lot of space in there that I won't need for much. I've been busy moving scale model furniture around the blue print which is making a lot of decisions much easier. I just hope the housing market doesn't go flat when I need to sell.

      Delete
  15. Neutrals are the only way to go! It's the easiest way to make changes to rugs, pillows and draperies whenever you feel a need for a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, and Wayfair has a huge assortment of area rugs that are seasonably priced when your get tired of them or they get too grubby.

      Delete
  16. Amazing. So fun to pick out your own choices. I think it will be wonderful. I think that now that your new home is becoming more real, more concrete, you will feel a little easier about letting things go. I love the layout and think it is a very good arrangement. I love the idea of the gym room and sunset petal. I spend a lot of days watching the sunrise or sunset depending on my schedule. I would like to incorporate that workout into my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, seeing the footprint of the building go up and picking our my decor makes it so much more real, a strong motivating factor to let go of stuff without looking back.

      Delete
  17. This is so exciting! I love the neutral colors too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Levi finds it as exciting as you do. I'm going to take him out there to walk the woods and lakeside a few times before we actually move in.

      Delete
  18. you will be blazing a new trail for many of us to follow. smile! thanks for sharing;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been interesting learning from the others who have also signed up for this move to the continuum care campus. For me, I don't have children so this makes sense to me to have someone looking out for me. Another couple, the man explained that his wife is in the beginning stages of dementia and he figures when she gets bad enough where he can't take care of her then she can be moved to the memory care building a block away where he'll still be able to visit daily and take her out on her good days. Another woman has children but they are all out of state, so she wants the same kind of security as I do that someone will notice if she falls off the face of the earth. It's hoping we'll never need a nursing home or memory care facility but if we do, we know exactly which one we'll end up in. Non profit CCC's are not common so we're getting more bang for our buck here than at the other CCC's around the area. I toured most of them in prior years so when this one came along, I could see what a good deal it was.

      Delete
  19. fascinating idea along with what you can have...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wasn't willing to let some social worker place me in whatever nursing home should have openings in at the time...should something happen that I need one. That fact and the fact that this place has a lake really made a difference to me, having spent a lot of time around water in my younger years.

      Delete
  20. WOW! Your place looks huge!
    A bedroom AND a den?
    AND your own laundry?
    AND a lake?
    I like my independence, but I sure wouldn't mind living there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is independent living. The only difference between these units and an normal apartment is if you need some kind of medical oversight---say, help filling pill boxes or wellness checks each day---you can order it off a 'menu' of services available.

      Delete
  21. I Love your Choices and finishes and it is the Fun part, designing of your new Home and the anticipation of what to use the upgrade credit for! Having a Lake View nearby is Awesome... and the Exercise at the Gym will be beneficial. I like the CCC Concept, if we could have afforded it and weren't still raising a Child, it was something I seriously looked into, especially given that The Man already required a Full Time Caregiving situation. You got in on the ground level with the bonus of generous Credits so that is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you lived nearby. I have a taxidermy desert cat that's 100 years old that is going off to an auction today. He would have loved living at your house. But I will be borrowing some ideas from you in the form of large jars full of collectibles...Cracker Jack toys, wooden nickels, marbles and sea shells.

      Delete
  22. You must be so excited, Jean! This sounds really fabulous. I love that they provided options for you. The colors will be lovely and easy to live with. That's so nice you can make your own choices. And the add-ons are pretty diverse, too. I'd be challenged with what to pick, though I think for sure that storage at the end of the carport! You'll be a great advocate for that spot, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first ten who signed up are getting 6'x6' underground storage units for free, you know, like they have in apartment buildings made of the chain link fencing. I have no idea how much they rent for because I don't want to keep what much stuff, but they'll be good for kayak man. All of us can have a 3'x8' storage unit in our assigned parking spaces because they are designed long for that purpose.

      Delete
  23. What fun! Everything looks great Jean.
    I am going to show my husband the floor plan so he can see how small this is. It is great for one but...He is convinced we can live in this amount of space. I am thinking if he actually sees the layout he may understand that may not be true. I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideally 1,200 square feet would be better even for me. That gives you a full room for a guest home/home office and a few more closets. I didn't want to be cash poor after moving in.

      Delete
  24. Dear Jean, thanks for sharing your move with us--the whole process from decision to the hard task of downsizing and letting go of things you've treasured and cherished and now to the floor plan and all that you've chosen to make this new place comfortable for you and appealing to your spirit and eyes. Ambience! Do you know yet when you'll be moving next year? What month? I'm so excited for you. When I moved here to Missouri to this one-story home (ranch-type) after living in a two-story with basement 1870 home in Minnesota for 32 years, I did the downsizing too. And I so enjoyed choosing wall color, etc. The house has become a home that comforts me in all aspects of my life. I hope the same happens for you. I trust it will. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Dee, for sharing your experience too. I'm not moving to another state like you did---that would take a bravery that I don't have---but is sure feels like it. I've enjoyed this side of town so much.

      I do trust that the new place will speak to my soul in a way this one never did because every single decision of planing and decorating is mine and mine alone. They are predicting a May 1st of 2021 move in date.

      Delete
  25. Lucky you, that looks like a fantastic apartment, just the sort of thing a one person household needs. I could see myself living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less space will be hard to get used to but it will be less to take care of and that I'm looking forward to.

      Delete
  26. It all looks quite splendid to me and a wise move. It is quite spacious for one person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite sure it's going to be a wise move, if for no other reason that all my doctors will be a half hour closer to drive too---internist, hearing, skin and eye doctors, chiropractor, bone and foot doctors. My dentist will be the only one who won't be closer to my current residence.

      Delete
  27. Oh, what fun! I love that smoke color. Enjoy your planning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.