Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, March 14, 2020

The Great Lakes Eco System and the Coronavirus


I went to a lecture this week at the senior hall and it was quite unusual to see about twenty chairs with no people in them. The lectures always have a waiting list so when someone cancels their RSVP they call someone else up to take their place. I’m guessing far more than twenty people canceled and the call committee ran through their entire wait list and still came up short. It’s a foreshadowing of what’s to come over the long boring summer. Let’s hope it’s boring rather than terrifying. I’d rather deal with canceled events than mass sickness all around us. If people camping out at home trying to avoid the unavoidable helps, I’m on board. Avoid the unavoidable---I shouldn’t be thinking like that!

The day after the lecture I got an email from the senior hall asking me if I still planned on going to a fish fry at a private club two days later. They had placed 125 reservations for senior hall members and mine was among them. It’s an annual event that I’ve been doing long before I became a member of the senior hall. My husband was a member of that club and the fish fries during Lent are a major fund raiser for the group. Knowing how they serve their food cafeteria style only without the sneeze shields found in restaurants, I was having major regrets about signing up and since they asked, I canceled my RSVP. A couple of hours later our state governor banned any gatherings over 350 people so the fish fry probably got canceled for everyone. I felt bad for the club. What will they do with all that thawed-out fish? We also have some huge events on the tap here in town---a house and garden show, a bridal show. Those poor vendors who plan and stock up for these shows will suffer. They get many of their contacts for their summer sales at those shows.

What gets me is there are still people who are denying the whole coronavirus crisis is real. I went to my Facebook page recently and one of my Trump supporter relatives posted yet another meme about it all being a media and Democratic hoax to bring down the president. Ya, we have that much power over the entire world’s press and medical communities. The day before that post, she posted a meme about abortion killing more people than the coronavirus and why aren't people panicking about that? Duh, the last I heard getting an abortion isn’t catching. Then today she posted about how veterans could use the money we're 'wasting' on the COVID-19. Call me whatever you want—‘vengeful’ might be a good word to apply to my uncharitable thoughts about her getting the virus. People in denial are putting us all at risk like the NBA basketball player, Rudy Gobert, who recently had to apologize for having touched all the microphones of the media doing interviews. It was a joke, he said after he got sick and tested positive for the coronavirus. Sorry about that.

The lecture: It was interesting and filled with facts and figures I hastily scribbled in my notebook in a near-dark room and now I mostly can’t read them. It was given by a university professor on the ecological history of the Great Lakes, starting his timeline 10,000 years ago. He explained how layers of rock formations encircle all of Michigan and the Great Lakes and how if we live long enough we’ll see Lake Huron and Lake Erie become one big lake. And Niagara Falls is on the move, the fastest moving waterfall in the entire world due to the eroding layer of softer rock ringing underneath the harder rock layer that we see on the surface. But mostly he talked about how Man has changed the ecological system of the lakes and not in a good way. In the 1600s, for example, the Great Lakes had 150 varieties of native fish ranging in size from 1-2 inches to 400 pounds and nine foot long. Now we only have 139 native fish and 34 invasive species, mostly brought in by man. A Native American Indian Tribe is trying to reestablish---with some success---the Lake Sturgeon, the largest of fish that were once so plentiful when the white man first came here. The professor traced the changes of our national resources using diaries left behind by early explorers and profiteers. The Europeans, he said, viewed Michigan's abundance of fish, wildlife and forests as opportunities to exploit. And the professor placed a lot of blame on President Jefferson who believed that any resource that wasn’t raped from the land and water was a wasted resource.
The lecture included facts things like how the logging industry ruined the Great Lakes fish species that used the rivers to spawn by filling them up with logs that killed their food sources, and it only took 40 years to clear-cut all of Michigan which caused mass erosion. He showed us a photo of tree stumps that looked like alien creatures walking on top of the land. The soil had eroded so much it left them that way and all that soil ended up in the river down the hill. In that river they discovered a log with a loggers stamp on it that was buried 15 feet down under the muck. He told us about how after the loggers left, the state was on fire, reportedly worse than the Great Chicago fire of 1871 in terms of loss of lives and destroyed property and again ten years later another massive fire took place fueled by all the dead foliage and stumps left behind by the loggers. The lecture made me sad and a little mad that it’s taken mankind so long to figure out that the earth has its limitations on how much we can abuse her resources and not pay a major price. Let's hope it's not too late to turn things around. ©

32 comments:

  1. That's so sad about the logging. :(. And even sadder about Trump and his supporters.

    I'm glad you got out of the fish fry, but feel sorry for the group doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hear millenniala complain about the Baby Boomers ruining the earth but it's clear from that lecture that it sure didn't start with us. We hear Trump's people complain about environmental protections but it's clear from that lecture that if Man is left without them their own selfish wants will be their guiding light.

      It's scary when you think about all chain reaction that is going to happen with the social isolation facing the world right now.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. It really is a saddening/maddening thing, isn't it? Hindsight really is 20/20. And now, with so much knowledge and scientific data and photographic evidence, so many people are still in denial. It's just easier to plunge headlong as they have been and hope for the best, taking no responsibility.

    I remember the 70s when Lake Erie was considered "dead." People cared, and work began to bring it back to life. Thankfully, the two senators from Ohio are vigilant fighters to keep funding for the Great Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The professor brought up the Lake Erie restoration---he packed a lot in that lecture---and used it as an example of how Man can turn around the damages done to the earth. Our senators, too, are always fighting for funding for the Great Lakes. It's the largest body of fresh water in the world and its to everyone's benefit that we keep it alive and well. Yet we STILL have to fight off those who don't care.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting lecture that sounds like! I too think it is going to be a long boring Spring and possibly longer but so necessary given our understaffed and resourced healthcare system. I'm trying to figure out how not to be totally a bored, depressed slug LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of setting up a private Facebook page for my Gathering Girls pals so we can meet for virtual lunch and stay in touch. We might also do a few picnics in the park if it gets warm enough. We could cut out 99% of our human contact and STILL get the virus from that 1% left. It's all a crap shoot.

      Delete
  4. You just can't make some people believe that some of our resources like lumber have finite futures. They only see the profit NOW.
    Frustrating isn't it?
    I just had a long talk with my brother who is 84 but in pretty good health. He is convinced he is in the safe percentage and thinks all the precautions are a waste of time. He is cynical about the reporting. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 84 years old you and I both know he's not in the safe percentage, especially if he's ignoring precautions. Even Ivanka Trump is self-quarantining herself after being in contact with the same two guys who tested positive for the virus down in Mar-a-Lago "out of an abundance of caution." Meanwhile her father was still shaking hands at the big dog and pony show he put on yesterday about his administration's readiness for the pandemic. The guys who tested positive who he claims he doesn't know were photographed with him. Someone needs to tell him that germs don't care if you're a stranger or friend.

      Delete
    2. I'm convinced Trump thinks he's above the laws of nature. Have you noticed that the people who are with him at his press briefings are shoulder-to-shoulder rather than spaced 6' apart and that they all share the same microphone and podium?

      Delete
  5. The one thing I'll say about the panic/denial/etc. is that there's one way the media isn't helping things at all. Our primary news station in Houston is beginning every hourly and half-hourly update with music that sounds like the theme from Jaws, and breathless, anxiety-producing lead-ins. That's just not helpful. Heck, by the time I finish listening to the here-comes-the-shark type music, my blood pressure's up. Silly.

    Speaking of touching things that ought not be touched, I did get a wry kick out of our President shaking hands with everyone at the presser yesterday. The looks on the faces of the people around him were priceless. It's too bad one of them didn't refuse to shake hands. I don't understand their reticence to say, "Hey, buddy. That's out, now."

    Your tale of the lake made me think of Galveston Bay. When I first moved here, in 1973, the water quality and air quality were so bad they were the subject of grim jokes. The water caught fire from time to time, and the air wasn't breathable. Now? That's all taken care of. Yes, we sometimes have a spill, and from time to time there's a release from one of the petro-chemical companies (or an explosion that's national news worthy) but all of the changes in regulation and practice have made a huge difference. We can eat the fish from the bay now, and see all the way across it when the humidity's not so bad. Changes can be made, if people want to put forth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that Jaws music is disgusting at a time like this! We have three cases in my town now and there is a map of every place they've been to since coming back from their trip overseas. All on the other side of town, mostly to restaurants. Just weird, surreal times we're in.

      The last guy in line actually did elbow bump the president when Trump offered his hand to shake. It was quite funny but sad at the same time.

      All those regulations that made a huge difference down your way are in danger of being rolled back by this administration. That's what he's doing all over the country regarding environmental issues. It's sad that we have to keep fighting the same battles over and over again.

      Delete
  6. What an interesting time to be living through, eh Jean? I have been staying up too late watching things unfold, and am social-distancing to help protect the vulnerable and “flatten the curve”. And every once in a while I read that the vulnerable are anyone over 60 and am reminded - holey crap - that now that’s ME.🤣🤣🤣

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right about it being interesting times.

      It makes me laugh when the president talks about protecting our seniors when he's crossed over that bridge himself a long time ago.

      Hope the social distancing helps. Sound like it should. I'll feel better when doctors aren't complaining about the lack of available tests and labs to process them...all of which should have been ironed out a long time ago.



      Delete
  7. Everything in Oregon has closed ... and we have just 30 known cases. Schools, churches, Libraries have closed.

    WLLO is doing everything on video or phone conference. I've been calling my 3 favorite ladies every day for a 2 minute chat. Some drivers have opted out, but we have quite a few that will cover drives to medical appts.

    The good is coming out in people as well. Wonderful people are preparing lunch and snack every day for kids who get free lunch at school. Several restaurants are also offering FREE food to anyone who needs it. Fine dining restaurants are offering curbside "to go" meals.

    This self isolation is great for me! I love being a hermit. It's only day two for the boys but they went out sledding in our 1/2 in of snow, playing games and I think they will be making cookies later.

    The biggest freak out is the empty grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the exception fights over toilet paper in the stores, we are seeing the good come out in people too. People fixing food for those school kids who depend on lunches as their only dependable meal of the day and teachers doing make shift daycare for those who can't stay home from work. They need to do more human interest stories in the news on these sorts of things. Our better restaurants are doing curbside too.

      Hoping the stores still have stuff when I go on Monday or Tuesday. I'm thinking the crazy hoarders will be gone and they'll had time to restock.

      Delete
  8. Yeah, I get annoyed at the ignorant and ill informed comparisons people {almost always rabid 45 Supporters} are making to downplay a Pandemic. Actually, one I challenged didn't even know what a Pandemic was or that we haven't had one in this Lifetime so there is no 'comparison'... I had to give her the definition, since her monologue, straight from Fox News {LMAO} was so predictably spoon fed and taken as Gospel Truth no matter how absurd. The fact some can be so easily misled and manipulated is just sad, I can't get mad so much as I get annoyed that they don't challenge the bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the attention focused on the pandemic, I was shocked to hear another relative hadn't heard about it until this week when she went to the store and saw the empty toilet paper aisle. I know I tend to watch too much news but watching none is just as bad.

      Delete
  9. I grew up on Lake Superior and am always happy to see the Great Lakes get attention and protection. That sounds like a great presentation.

    My mom, now 88 yo, remembers her family escaping a UP forest fire when she was three. It's her first clear memory. I'm sure her parents' panic was palpable and stuck with her for life. It's hard to watch trees being destroyed for no good reason. I lived in an end unit condo that was surrounded by trees and felt like a treehouse. One day I came home on my lunch hour to find trees being chopped down by a huge machine, deer running willy nilly by my windows, and dust flying. The trees were all gone by nightfall. I sat down and cried and sold that condo shortly thereafter. I can see it up on the hill when I drive by on one of the main streets below. There was NO reason those trees had to go, except that the developer owned it and could. The property has developed below, and the trees are starting to grow back, but they'll never be the same in my lifetime. I guess that still rankles me. :-)

    I'm amazed by anyone who still thinks this is a hoax to damage the President. He's doing enough damage himself, frankly. "I don't take responsibility at all." I heard him say that and thought of Truman saying "The buck stops here." What a difference in character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think/hope developers are more careful about clear-cutting trees down for no good reason. Where I live now they were and the plotted the lots to leave a nature strip along the back sides of the whole development. Wildlife does use it to travel between a golf course, a lake and the walking trails the go all over the county now. Developers used to think property sold between without tress.

      Those fires in the UP and out west are scary, though.

      Delete
  10. interesting lecture and comments on the land destruction and restoration...thanks for sharing.

    as for the "fish fry" did you here what happened to all that fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past when they've had left over food it's gone down to the missions that feed the homeless. I imagine that happened this time as well.

      Delete
  11. It sounds like a fascinating program. Rick calls Michigan "peninsulated"--because people have to take a 90 degree turn to come her from some of the major roads. I couldn't help but wonder if that was why MI was so late to report any Covid19 cases. It certainly accounts for some of the narrow attitudes. When you don't get out or others in a lot from a variety of places, the perspective narrows.

    I, too, worry about independent workers and those with events scheduled. My across-the-street neighbor may be canceling their wedding next month. They're trying to figure out what to do. And all that food. I hope they can donate. People might need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect nickname for the UP for the reasons you've stated. But I think the reason MI was so late in reporting any Covid19 cases is because of lack of available tests.

      I feel so badly for couples planning weddings this spring and summer. So many of those deposits are non-refundable. Even graduation parties, this year, are in danger of not happening and I don't even want to think what this is doing for the travel industry.

      Delete
  12. Your Cousin is greatly misinformed.
    I wonder where she is getting her news.
    Doesn't she watch the News conferences?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her memes come from a variety of far-right propaganda sites, a few of which are probably generated in Russia. She also follows the president's son. Only twice have I tried to nicely fact-check her with solid data but she thinks I'm a naive old, brainwashed woman so I don't engage with her. It's not just her, though, the number of other people I know who always give her posts a 'like' just boggles my mind. I don't want to unfriend any of them because in my mind it's helpful to know who in the family thinks that way.

      Delete
  13. It just boggles my mind that so many think tRump has a brain. Lizard brain. Maybe that is an insult to lizards?
    Montana had 4 cases by Friday night...they said..then today we discover the Board of Regents all met here in Dillon at the college and now 166 have been tested, many positive. An official slipped up in the news conference and admitted there have been several cases here for weeks! So the board members, all exposed, went back to every college in Montana and now it is everywhere. And they allowed a basketball statewide tournament, knowing they had all been exposed. This is as deliberate as it gets.
    I haven't left my cabin since March 5, with one stealth exception. There is no food on many many shelves in many many stores from the PNW to southern Utah. I thought I had enough to last about six months. Now I realize it isn't nearly enough to ride this out.
    Good thing I am a tough old broad. Stay safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! We are in for a wild ride.

      He and his friends at FOX and Rush have been crying about it being a hoax for so long that they didn't take it serious and therefor is running out of time to turn it around. A cabin in the boondocks of Montana sounds pretty good right about now.

      Delete
  14. Dear Misadventures, i love your profile picture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love lectures like that. I wish more people would hear them and think about what we are doing to the land. I truly believe if we live long enough that the sky and water will be something like we see in science fiction. As for your cousin, there seems to be quite a few people out there like that. I have a best friend who I have shared similar political views with for the last 40 years. During the last 10 years she has slowly headed toward a view similar to your cousin. I love her yet it is so hard for me to talk with her because she really believes the stuff she spouts. I hope that one day our country is just in disagreement with each other and not in out-and-out hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the people who should listen to lectures like that don't want to hear them or don't believe the science.

      I find it harder and harder to talk to people who spout off such bias stuff.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.