Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Friday, April 10, 2020

Have I Told You Lately.....

Have I told you lately how frustrating it is when computers act up? First my camera wouldn't connect so I could download my latest e-Bay items, a problem I've never had before in the 10 plus years I've had it. It took me an hour or so to find the needed drivers online and get them download. Worked like a charm.

Then my Fitbit wasn't syncing and after reading their community message board I found out that they did an upgrade that was giving a lot of us the same issue. So I again found the software needed online and tried to install it. It got  hung up in the process---stuck in one place for over an hour and it wouldn't let me cancel it. The only way I could get it to disconnect was to restart my computer. The issue in on hold for now but I sure miss my sleep statistics.

Just about every time I restart my computer the printer gets kicks off. So I removed and reinstalled it. Still wouldn't print but my troubleshoot pointed to a problem with the wi-fi connection. I checked my cell phone and sure enough no wi-fi there either. I hate wi-fi issues! The so-called simple act off restarting my router is task I have to work up to doing. I know, I know...it's just a button to push then wait and push it again, but for some reason it freaks me out worrying that it won't restart. The next time I set up my computer and printer I will old school and keep them connected by a cable. Wireless might look pretty but it's a royal pain.

This extra post was brought to the web compliments of a day of spent in Computer Hell. How IT guys who fix this kind of stuff for large companies all day long, day after day keep from going stark raving mad is a miracle. And now I have to go push the stupid button on my router and see what happens. After that, if it works I'll have to go back to the printer app and run the trouble shooter to get it to connect again. Wish me luck!  ©

EDIT To ADD: Call me the IT guy on Widowhood Lane! Everything is working again except my Fitbit but I've learned over the years I've owned it that sometimes if you just let their techs work on fixing their screw-up downloads it will start syncing again on its own. 

22 comments:

  1. Yeah for you! I hate tech glitches too but eventually figure out my way through them as you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yeah for me! I'm proud of myself but I sure find it unsettlingly and scary.

      Delete
  2. I sympathize! But I've learned that it's best to unplug the power cable from the router. Sometimes that works better than just pressing the on-off button. Actually, I just looked down and mine is blinking amber, which means I have to unplug it (for about 20 seconds, I believe) right now. I'm the IT expert in the family and figure it's good practice in patience and stress management.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about unpluging instead of just turn off the power button. I need to get over my fear of routers. I have to take breaks often when I'm working to fix something otherwise it does stress me out too much. But I do think it's great brain exercise to work through the trouble shooting documents/screens.

      I've learned to always test my printer on Sunday and Monday mornings so I know it's working for Sunday and Monday address label printing of eBay auction closings. That gives a a whole day if needed.

      Delete
  3. I would FREAK OUT if my internet went down!

    I was taught to unplug both modem and router. 30 seconds, then plug in modem first ... wait til it is finished and then plug in the router. Since I have a laptop, I could never just stay plugged in .... I use it on my desk, in bed, on my lap in the living room, outside when it is warm.

    My problem is all my techie stuff is on bottom shelf of a cabinet in my room. I can barely get down there any more! May be time to move all that to the living room and let the kidults deal with! We put it in here when Deacon was a baby as he was into EVERYTHING. Soon we will be relying on the boys to be our IT team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have a modem. I know at one point when things were going wrong I had to look up what a modem and a router is so I could figure out what to unplug. LOL I've come a bit farther since then. I have the same problem getting at cords and plugs and trust me, next set up with be different. I suppose I'll have to stay with a wireless set up on the printer because of our multi devices but it's tempting not to.

      Delete
  4. Yay for you! You can pretty much find any solution on the googles... it's just separating the accurate from the not so. I don't miss working a regular job but I do miss having some smart IT types around if I had any questions. Now, I'm on my own. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love google and you're right about finding the official sites for help. But I find it annoying that they are assume you know some basics and they start their instructions at a couple of steps beyond where I need them. I wish I hat an IT guy grandson or daughter to call.

      Delete
  5. My daughter feels like throwing herlaptop when it plays up while her sonis trying to homeschool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling but I find I need to walk away and do something else when it gets too frustrating.

      Delete
  6. touch wood all is good here! But then again, I'm not having to think about sales or the like, especially right now. Very little non-essential arenas are operating here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing. Once I've sold off all my stuff the pressure of always having a working computer will not be with me...and that's huge.

      Delete
  7. I have a friend who goes through that with her printer from time to time. The last time, it was a new driver that solved the problem, but her feelings about installing a new driver were much like yours re: the router. You're exactly right about the help sites assuming too much knowledge, too. It's one of my biggest gripes about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned that a long time ago about not assuming basic knowledge when writing out directions for anything computer related. I wish the rest of the world would learn that.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, my stomach got in a knot just reading this. My first step is always to reboot everything, then see if it is still there. Sometimes it is fixed, if not then I sprout a few more grey hairs and try just about everything--often more than once like it didn't understand my intent the first time.
    I wonder if there are any IT guys out there needing adoption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an IT guy but he charges $100 an hour. He's the one who taught me how to get my printer drives and a few other things. If I could feed him in brownies and grandmotherly hugs I'd have it made.

      Rebooting always, ALWAYS, kicks my printer off. From what my IT guy said, it was an older model when I bought it on sale and it is no longer supported by the company. Lesson learned: don't by computer stuff that's just come on the market or just leaving it.

      Delete
  9. Hooray! I love it when things can get fixed as easily as pressing a button. That happens to my internet from time to time. The first time was quite scary, but now it’s just routine. Press the button, or unplug it - leave it for a minute - and plug it back in. If only people could be reset that easily...😁

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, maybe we can reset ourselves that easily. Have you ever pressed your belly button when you're stressed? Just sayin'.

      Delete
    2. HAH! I'll have to try that next time I need a reset.

      Delete
  10. I'm having email issues. My Fitbit won't sync when I want it to either -- but it seems eventually it does. Out of the blue, our DISH DVR wouldn't do playback of recordings the other day and I Googled that and got instructions on how to do a reset. All of this drives me crazy!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I still can't get my Fitbit to work. I've even tried to delete the app from my computer and it won't delete without freezing it up, just like it did when I tried to download the new patch. I'm probably going to have to get another tracker of a different brand.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.