Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, February 13, 2021

Sexy What? and the Trial in the Senate

I’m writing this on the first day of Donald Trump’s second impeachment hearing and on the day after QAnon conspiracy nuts were busy spreading their newest work of fiction---that Trump is going to be sworn back into office on March 4th. And how did they come up with that idea? It was sparked by the fact that the Trump Hotel in D.C. jacked up their room rates to $1,331 for that day which is more than double their regular rates…kind of like they did for January 6th only that number was higher than double. Grab your MAGA hats and ammo there’s going to be another “big party” at the Capital. Or not. Meanwhile, the first day of the hearing settled the question on whether or not it was constitutional to impeach a president who is out of office. Why, yes, yes it is according to the senate vote and a bunch of constitutional scholars. Tomorrow the evidence part begins where case managers try to prove that Mr. Trump broke his oath of office to protect the constitution for his part in trying to stop the election certification, for the insurrection that he orchestrated. 

I saw the impeachment manger’s opening presentation before I had to leave to take the dog for his haircut. It was a timeline with a thirteen minute video from outside and inside the Capital during the insurrection on January 6th. Even though I saw it in real time on the 6th seeing that video gave me chills and I couldn’t help thinking that a lot of those senators sitting there probably hadn’t seen the full level of violence that they could only hear on the 6th that caused them to run for their lives and hide out in the tunnels below the Capital. Did it give them chills to hear the insurrectionists planned to seal both ends of the tunnel and "gas them"? From what I’ve heard there will be fourteen hours more of videos to be presented in the coming days. Will the video tape evidence finally penetrate through to the senators who still support or are afraid to denounce Trump for his part in whipping up the fever pitch among QAnon, the Proud Boys and others fringe groups who came to D.C. to do his bidding? I’d like to think the majority of the senators will put the country and the constitution first but I’m not counting on enough of them finding their backbones before the final vote.

In the meantime when I dropped the dog off for his haircut the groomer said, “Where are you going with that sexy hair?” That made me laugh to having anything about me referred to as sexy, let alone my pandemic induced hair style. I answered, “To get a haircut of my own.” Eleven months ago my hair was an inch long and after my hair trim today the top measures five inches. My hairdresser took pictures of my hair to show the hairdresser who cut my hair for three years before she quit to be a full-time mom, just before the shop was shut down for the pandemic for three months. Next month all my layers should be grown out and I’ll bring my phone to my next hair appointment to get some photos of my own that I might post here. Or not. My hairdresser is quite proud of herself for getting me through all the awkwardness of growing out a short hairdo. I still don’t know if I’ll keep the long hair---it’s a lot of trouble---and I don’t recognize myself in the mirror which isn’t a good thing at my age. Gosh, I’ve even gotten up in the middle of the night to pee and ended up brushing my hair. More than once. Bed head freaks me out after fifty some years of having easy-pleasy hair that I could have gone days without brushing if I had wanted to and no one would have noticed.

In between Levi’s and my appointments I took advantage of the sunny, mood-lifting day after a string of dark, stormy days. I did some banking and I picked up lunch at Starbucks drive-through. I’ve missed that place during the pandemic. I’ve either been stuck at home for weeks on end or whenever I’d go by the place it would have a line of twenty-some cars and I don’t have that much patience. I also stopped at my second favorite grocery store hoping to pick up a few things that have been scarce since the pandemic. At least toilet paper is no longer one of them.

At the store I bought mostly milk and comfort foods---chocolate brownies and vanilla ice cream which I ate while watching the senators vote at the end of today’s impeachment procedure. The trial won’t be long, they say---it may even be over on Saturday, the first day this blog entry is live. Even so I won’t have enough comfort foods to outlast It. But on my schedule for the next few days is thinning the dishes in my kitchen cabinets so I’ll being doing that while watching the senate hearings. I was going to say it will be like watching a soap opera where we know which actor is going to walk around without his shirt on, but that's would be making light of a dark and serious juncture in the history of our country. Right or wrong, good for me or not, I am and probably always will be a political junkie so the idea of not watching this impeachment hearing is not in my DNA. And as a blogger it's another one of those elephant-in-the-room situations where we each have to decide if we ignore the elephant or put on our big girl and boy pants and try to ride the elephant through the circus tent. ©

 

 This video was shown to close the first day's hearing.

 
 
After the vote, Mitch making it clear what Trump did. 

50 comments:

  1. Well, I think we all can easily Predict the Outcome without having any Psychic abilities my Friend, which is just disheartening, that our Country and one Political Party has come to this level of devolving in just Four short Years. Perhaps it was devolving long before that, and Politics in general really, but now the corruption and inability to be Truthful is glaringly evident and in all our faces. I will be much more interested in any actual Criminal Proceedings where actual Justice might just play out and he'll be Legally held accountable for his Crimes, which are so numerous I Hope it not only Bankrupts he and his Demon Spawn and accomplices, but that some serious Prison Sentences are handed out. That is my Hope but I'm not holding my Breath on that either since he should have been a convicted Felon since the 1970's actually... but, even John Gotti eventually got the Teflon scraped off and came to a sticky end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all started when Obama was elected and that scared a bunch old white people who were then ripe for Trump and his divisiveness.

      I too want to see him bankrupted. World banks are already say they won't loan him anymore money so we may see them all go down in our life times.

      Delete
    2. Yes, your first Sentence is accurate and just doesn't scare the OLD White People who were ripe for the MAGAt Movement, which my Grandchildren, even Four Years ago at tender Ages of 11 and 16 told me really meant: Make American White Again. They even knew, as Children of Ethnic diversity, the MAGAt Movement had no room at the table for people like us and didn't even pretend to. Reminds me so much of the George Wallace Political Days and the Racist behaviors of yesteryear resurfacing with a vengeance, only with more Fear on their part now, because they see America evolving into something better and more diverse that they can't accept and want to wage a War upon. They are ignorant enough to assume annihilation of Democracy would be a good thing and that putting their Cult Dictator Wanna Be in Power again would culminate their New World Order Vision... it's all quite Hitleresque in the 21st Century and why I despise each and every person who supports it, no exceptions, they have shown a side of themselves I cannot overlook nor ignore, it's deplorable.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you chose to speak of the elephant in the room rather than ignoring it. I hope to watch the vote and note each senator who does not vote to impeach, then call or email their office to express my view. As for the Trump hotel, those poor followers have such a single focus that they probably don't know about the cherry blossom season in DC!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be the only ones taking note of who votes to acquit. I already emailed my senators even though I know they will vote guilty because we've got to know Trump fans are putting pressure on them not to vote that way. In fact, there is still time for all of us to email our senators and let our feelings known.

      I was in D.C. once for cherry blossom season. It sure was beautiful. I fear that March 4th will turn out to be another scary time in D.C. though. We shall see if QAnon is embolden by an acquittal.

      Delete
  3. Powerful video.
    I no longer have words that can really express my revulsion at the republicans in Congress, especial the likes of Cruz, Greene, Rubio, Scott, Hawley, to name a few and all the others that will vote to acquit. And all for their own personal lust for power, in pandering to trump's evil cult. For that is all it is. They have no soul, no empathy, no integrity, no morals.

    But the bottom line problem, while aided by Fox News and their ilk and their spewed racism and religious extremism, is the cult itself.
    The everyday people who voted again for this monstrosity, who fly his flag along with the confederate and/ or the US flag. People who are ok with demeaning so many people of other cultures, of people seeking a new starting life in a new country, of people with different lifestyles who chose to love different people. Trump's people are people obsessed with conspiracy theories and QAnon, people who are domestic terrorists and would kill to support trump, people who believe all the 30,000+ lies trump has said, people who are literally insane.

    To acquit trump is to end American Democracy and open the door for a frightful future and more corruption, more hate, more terrorism and a complete loss of what America use to stand for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with every word you've written. Those who can sit there with all that evidence in front of them and still pledge alliance to Trump have no soul or love for the future of our country.

      Fox news is picking and choosing what parts of the trial they are showing their viewers. Do they really think that Trump makes America great? Honesty, I now understand how the Nazi's became so powerful. People I've known for decades think the violence at the Capital was necessary and not the big deal it was. They don't value the peaceful transfer of power because they've been told so many lies!

      Delete
    2. Beautifully said Mary... all of it.

      Delete
  4. It's true what they say: Everything trump touches dies. The republican party is just the latest thing to go. Unfortunately, it's dragging down part of the government and democracy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I wish he's start touching himself, roam his hands all over his naked body to speed the process up. Sorry, I couldn't help it. Gotta find something to laugh about today because a future with an embolden Trump is a scary place and you're right, it will kill the Republican party and our very democracy.

      Delete
    2. You are so naughty Jean... and that Visual, ewwwwwww... but if it worked, well... speeding up that Process would be a Ray of Sunshine now, wouldn't it? *LOL*

      Delete
    3. The ONLY way I can imagine his naked body without cringing would be for that happening!

      Delete
  5. I have heard and do believe that if the vote was by secret ballot, he would be convicted by a landslide. But since they can't, there are just too few backbones in office now to go against his base. One thing we can hope for is that the GOP splits, then they will be easy to beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the same thing and agree. Shouldn't be that way but it is. Few profiles in courage here.

      Trump will hopefully try to start his own party and split the Republicans enough so they won't be able to win elections anymore and the Trumpters will die out old and angry.

      Delete
    2. Sadly Jean, many of the MAGAts that stormed the Capitol are breeding Age and will propagate. Tho' he does appeal to the Old Angry and Scared White Base a lot, he's attracted Younger versions of that old Racist mentality that never seems to completely Die out.

      Delete
  6. The former president is a despicable man who deserves to go to prison. He has no redeeming qualities. Republicans have given in to the racism and lies he spread so now they worry about how to save themselves. Pathetic!
    Here's to truth and doing the right thing and justice for all!
    I hope so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll drink to that!

      I still struggle to understand how ordinary poeople on the street cannot see Trump the way you and I and others do. I have to believe they are just as racist as he is.

      Delete
    2. Jean, they ARE just as he is, that's the only logical conclusion.

      Delete
    3. I know and they hide it well for many years....at least the Trump supporters I know did.

      Delete
  7. I will be very surprised if enough of the GOP find a spine (or grow a pair) and convict Trump. BUT, I did read another WSJ article about more NY investigations into him and his business and properties. I still have hope that he will end up in a striped jumpsuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there will be enough lawsuits against him to keep him in the news for the next ten years and I really hope it takes him down where it hurts...his money and assesses. Of course there are people stupid enough to donate to his defense funds.

      His lawyer is wrapping up his closing arguments right now, and tried to blame the violence as something that was modeled by the Black Lives Matters protests of last summer.

      Delete
    2. Well the only Lawyers he could bring on board for his Impeachment Trial were personal injury Lawyers of a fairly low Legal caliber, they probably won't get paid, he's notorious for stiffing those he owes money to.

      Delete
    3. PS: Have to add that he didn't get Acquitted due to the expertise of his Lawyer's Defense, it was embarrassing, had an impartial group been Voting to Convict, he'd of been Convicted by the overwhelming Evidence and nobody could have gotten him off... alas, it was a rigged Trial from the Jump and we all knew it, let History be Unkind to all who Acquitted him and the full weight of their decisions rest heavily upon them.

      Delete
    4. Ya, and he's going to need a lot of lawyers coming soon, too.

      Delete
  8. Vote to find Trump guilty was 57 to 43 which wasn't enough to to convict, according to the rule they needed 67. Mitch is now giving a scathing rebuke of Trump's actions. Geez, why did he wait until AFTER the vote to deliver this to his party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, he is the most disingenuous POS on the face of earth. The nerve of him voting to acquit and then excoriating Trump. He ALWAYS wants to have it both ways. A pox on him and all his GOP sycophants.

      Delete
    2. I know! I've always said the Mitch was more dangerous than Trump because Mitch knows what he's doing and works smarter.

      Delete
    3. Mitch is dangerous and knows how to work the System as it stands, Trump just knows how to run a good Con Game against those who have always been easy Marks.

      Delete
  9. I appreciate that you inserted Raskin's speech. It was incredibly moving and appropriate, I believe, in view of what has happened. Politics is not my forte. But all of us owe a debt that none of us could ever repay when it comes to America and the values that she was built upon. I hope and pray that the American public will continuously pressure their representatives until we see true change. Many abhor politicians--across the line. Many think they got what they deserved when the Capitol was stormed. God help us. We might not agree with one another, but can we at least agree to be civil--to honor life and liberty--to be charitable whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got in-laws who also think that what happened at the Capital was deserved because they didn't keep Trump in office. These are scary times when people can justify violence based on the lies of one man.

      Delete
  10. I've heard that conservatives (the real ones not the trumpers).are looking at starting a true conservative party. Well see. I do think the flack he's facing financially and because of other charges against him will come back to haunt. I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see how the Republican party could stay together. Either the Trump people will start their own or the more conservatives will do it. Either way, I hope to live long enough to see Trump suffer for his lack humanity and common decency. And what happened today he's going to embolden to do and say even worse.

      Delete
  11. No surprise here about Trump just saying..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...not surprised either, but I had hope there were better angels that would do the right thing.

      Delete
  12. USA not in a good place atm. (There are some bright spots eg the new President of the Harvard Law Review is an Egyptian-American and Muslim.)

    I follow USA politics because, unfortunately, it seems to be a trend setter in that I see signs of it here in Oz.

    I'd read a few comments a few days ago about some folks advocating a censure rather than an impeachment - and it made me hopping mad!! Nancy Pelosi comment at today's press conference captured my feelings exactly: censure is when someone uses the wrong stationery, not for insurrection. I greatly admire the lady - she's got guts in bucket loads. ~ Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really ashamed of our country now, of the hold Trump seems to still have on how government officials are making decisions that effect us all. History will not judge what happened today well.

      I didn't see Nancy's press conference today but she really is one smart woman and she's right about censure vs impeachment. We've got a lot of smart women coming into the Democratic party in recent years.

      Delete
  13. After this pandemic year my hair is now shoulder length and I don't recognize myself in the mirror also. You find it more difficult to maintain, I find it super easy. I don't care what anyone calls it, impeachment, censure, a felony, an act of God-- just stop the old orange douche canoe from doing any more damage. That's all I ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you're saying about long hair being easier. You don't have to wash it as often but I have to blow dry mine because it's naturally curly and gets to wild if I air dry it the way I've done my whole life. I'm trying to give myself time to learn how to do that.

      I vote for the act of God to take care of the douche canoe.

      Delete
  14. I watched some of the impeachment trial and some of the coverage at the end of each day. I thought the Democrats did a good job, but I think we all knew that there would not be enough senators who would vote to convict. It's a pretty sad situation and scary when you realize that in the past when democracies fall, it's usually AFTER at least one failed attempt at insurrection. I'm not saying that will happen here, but Donald Trump has left the bread crumbs for others who are inclined to follow. If there's a next time, my guess is that the President will be smarter, less impulsive, and more experienced at government.
    It's hard to grow out a short hairstyle. It sounds like you've got someone who knows what they're doing. We should all show our worst and best covid styles. Ha! My hair has taken some strange turns during the pandemic. I haven't had a professional cut my hair since last February. I can hardly believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be quite a 'fashion' show of our pandemic hair styles. At least we're all in he same boat.

      Totally agree with what you're saying about the next time....

      Delete
  15. There was a little action with the witness situation yesterday that seemed to throw all in a bit of a tither but in the end, as we expected, though I give kudos to the seven Republicans who voted wisdom and conscience and didn't try to speak out of both sides of the mouth as Mitch did after. I am appalled that after all that evidence, so many wouldn't vote to convict. I became familiar with a lot of new presenters in the managers group who were really remarkable at making the case. But we will not be remembered well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The managers were really impressive and I'm glad it's all documented for history. Mitch's post vote statement (which I added a video of to this post) was shocking coming from his mouth. I'm glad he made it but it was self-serving and has to do with big ticket donators cutting off funds because of Trumpism.

      Delete
    2. Big Ticket Donators cutting off funds is the only way to punish those whose God is Money and Positions of Power.

      Delete
    3. Seems to be true and I hope they punish those who voted to acquit.

      Delete
  16. A couple of weeks ago, the PBS Newshour did a week long study of radicalization to show how many of Trump's followers are able to excuse his appalling behavior, and who continue to defend him as a fine human being who cares about America and is trying to save it from whatever hare-brained conspiracy theory is front and center at the moment. I wonder how many will come to their senses, or go to their graves believing all the lies.

    Who knew so many Americans were soooooo gullible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. That gullibility makes it hard to trust society, again, not to turn into some like what happened in Germany before the war.

      Delete
  17. Well, by now we all know the outcome. There isn’t enough comfort food in the world to cover up the shame. The US’s reputation in the world has sunk even further. Acquitted by a technicality. I am so sorry for all the upright citizens who must bear the burden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a darn shame our standing in the world has sunk so low and I feel like I should be apologizing to people like you and others living overseas.

      Delete
  18. I don't know how Mitch can stand up there with a straight face and argue that Trump couldn't be tried because he was a private citizen. It was Mitch's own stalling until after the inauguration that made that happen. The House impeached while the ass was still president. Mitch wouldn't bring it to the Senate while he was still speaker. He is the worst kind of politician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you got that right. He must think there are a lot of really stupid people our here who have the memory of a nat.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.