Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Valentine’s Day Candy, Cards and Gifts


Every February since my husband died I buy myself a heart-shaped box of Whitman’s candy, the sampler sizes with three or six pieces inside. Why? I’m not really sure. Okay, that’s a little white lie. Early on into widowhood I decided if there’s no one else around to treat me, why not do it myself. I love me, right? No crime in that. I buy a long stemmed rose as well. It hardly seems possible that it’s been nine years since Don’s been gone, nine years of treating myself and one of the first posts in this blog explains how that tradition started…

2012: “My first Valentine’s Day without Don in 42 years is coming. Can you hear it marching towards me? Did you see all the red heart-shaped candy boxes on display in the stores or hear any radio advertisements to send your sweetheart flowers? I did, and I know from reading the writings of other widows online that this holiday is one of the most dreaded dates on the calendar, not just that first year after a spouse passes away but for many years to come.

“Today I came upon one of those candy displays and at first I was going to avoid walking by it. But from deep within I heard my inner voice saying: ‘Embrace the holiday. Embrace the memories that go with it.’ So I walked right up to the display and purposely let my tearing eyes linger over each square foot of the confection. The first thing I zeroed in on was a heart-shaped box with Snoopy on the front and he was holding his yellow bird, Woodstock. It was like a sign from Don. I never understood his love of Peanuts characters but in our early years together I’d gotten more than a few gifts featuring Snoopy and his feathery friend. That is until I said, ‘Enough already! Snoopy is your thing, not mine.’ In all the years we’d known each other he’d always had a Walt Schulz comic strip character somewhere in the house---on a watch, on coffee cups, on an article of clothing, etc. Snoopy even made it to Don’s memorial service compliments of a patch sewn on my husband’s t-shirt quilt that was displayed in the corner.”

After the Snoopy themed stuff got phased out of Don’s gift-giving repertoire, he started buying giant-sized Hallmark Valentine’s greeting cards that often came in their own boxes. They were lacy and sweet both in looks and flowery words. Since he knew his mom and I both had extensive collections of vintage Valentine’s Day cards Don was probably sure he’d picked a winning formula for making me happy on V-Day. He even got in the habit of signing his name on post-a-notes instead of writing inside those giant cards, the theory being they’d be worth more when we got old and gray and wanted to sell off my collection. Surprise, surprise. I got old and gray but the bottom fell out on the greeting card collecting hobby and last fall I sent all of those 8”x 10” Valentine’s to Goodwill with no regrets. I also had six-seven small heart-shaped candy boxes that, surprisingly, were harder to downsize out of my life than the greeting cards. I ended up keeping two that nested together so it looks like I’m half as sentimental as I am. They have Snoopy-themes and I keep them inside my TV cabinet where I see them often---actually just the one on the outside. They are a reminder that while the gifts we receive may not be the gifts we want, it's the spirit in which gifts are given that really counts. Snoopy brought joy to Don and he wanted to spread that joy around.

And that gift giving and receiving lesson is one I’m ashamed to admit I learned late in our relationship. Don tried hard but secretly I often wished he hadn’t spent the money the way he did. Like the time he bought me a large bottle of Joy perfume that sold for hundreds of dollars an ounce. (The real stuff, not the cologne.) My youngest niece had given me a point eight ounce bottle of it that her mother-in-law had brought back from Paris, but my niece didn’t like and I loved it, thus the re-gifting. I hoarded that bottle for special occasions, but when Don gave me the large bottle it didn’t feel special anymore. I would have been happier with another tiny bottle. At least I didn’t return it like the tiny diamond earrings a friend of mine got, then bought herself a pair of winter boots with the refund. Nor did I quit speaking to my husband like an old neighbor did when her husband gave her a vacuum cleaner for Valentine's Day. Ladies, do you think we send out mixed messages or are guys just bad at reading them?

I was hard to please but most of the time that was between me and myself and Don never knew when I was disappointed. And the pressure was on Don because my gifts to him were one-of-kind things that he absolutely loved. One year, for example, when I was into leather crafting I made him a tooled gun belt and holster that he used out West every year on his hunting trips and that I ended up selling on eBay after he died. Another year when I was taking a class on furniture building I made him a cherry box (to learn how to make tongue and groove joints) that held four cartons of cigarettes. He bragged that box up to an embarrassing level. Then a decade or so later the top started to warp and he asked me why it was doing that I and replied, “Poor workmanship” which made him laugh. God, I loved his laugh! It was deep and manly and if a laugh can be labeled sexy, it was that too. I still have that box and it looks goofy with its broken latch from trying to force it closed but for some reason I can’t seem to let it go… ©


32 comments:

  1. I raise my glass to you - a wonderful post!

    Long ago, I found that I can never intuit what a giftee desires (well, something I can afford!) so gave it up. I found it a waste of money, of benefit only to the gift-sellers, and adopted a no-give-gift/no-take policy. If I like something that I think someone can use, I buy and gift - no occasion required - retain receipt and if giftee doesn't like, return for refund where possible, and move on. Even this is becoming rarer as I age!

    I do the same as you: buy something for myself to acknowledge the day.

    You are very blessed to have been so loved. ~ Libby (PS I do, as said before, always read, but don't always comment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was the same way with gifts as you. If he saw something his mom or my mom would like--no matter the time of the year---he'd buy it and give it right away where I'd want to safe it for the next holiday.

      Libby, I love having an Australia coming here to read and occasionally leave a comment. I love knowing people from other parts of the world connect over of same issues, values, humor etc.

      Delete
  2. Oh I love this box!! What a great story.
    Hey pick up a big heart box this year too, he'd want you to have it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate in those heart boxes is not good enough quality to want a big box. We have a candy maker's shop really close to where I live that spoils you for all other chocolate. I don't go there often but when I do I usually only get one truffle in a tiny box. Their seafoam and dark chocolate covered pretzels are to die for.

      I get sentimental over things like the box that have stories to tell. I fell in love with the stories of old things when I was 10-11 years old at my best friend's grandfather's knee.

      Delete
  3. I used to get those little Whitman's valentine chocolate boxes from my father on Valentine's Day. My husband and I don't celebrate; we prefer our anniversary to be our Romantic Holiday. When we were dating, we celebrated, but it seemed like a lot of pressure.

    I think gift-giving is often difficult when it's wrapped up in Romance. It's too laden with Messaging.

    I love that you and your husband could laugh about your pretty handmade wooden box even while being proud of it, appreciating the work and care and love that it was made with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never celebrated with candlelight dinners or going some place special for V-Day or anniversaries. Cards and/or gifts for V-day is all and not all of Don's gift were romantic...like the year there was a gas storage and Don got me a 50 gal gas tank for the back of my pick up truck. I was not too happy about that. I felt like I was driving a bomb around. LOL

      Delete
  4. We've never been ones to exchange many gifts so finding the perfect one has never been an issue. I realize that most couples do. I think of that every year when it gets to be this time of year, and the casual conversations all seem to be about V-Day cards and gifts-- and the meanings attached thereto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right or wrong, there is a lot of pressure on young couples to knowledge their feelings for one another on V-Day. I don't really have a problem with that pressure coming from the flower, candy and greeting card industries because too many people get lost in the every day routines and don't take the time to do something special to acknowledge and/or spice up their relationships. Can you tell I was in the floral industry for twenty year? I've never, ever thought of flowers as a waste of money just because they die. If we applied the 'they die' rule to other things we never keep kitten, puppies or goldfish. But don't get me started on the fad of having the big public production when guys ask girls to marry them. I just HATE that!!!!!

      Delete
    2. My husband's proposal was, "Well, I guess we ought to get married, maybe about September." (I wasn't pregnant. It was Vietnam days, and he knew he was likely to drafted since he'd just graduated college.) If I'd been hung up on a glamorous proposal, we never would have married. I would have shooed him away in shame. We've been married 51 years. I had breast cancer at 40. In the last ten years, I have been diagnosed with two chronic illnesses and have had two brain surgeries. He tells me it's not happening to me; it's happening to us, and we'll get through it together. He is solid, and that stands in well for romantic now that we're in our 70's.

      Delete
    3. Linda, that line "...it's not happening to you, it's happening to us" has got to be the most romantic thing I've heard in a long time. You got a good one! Romance isn't just about flowers and candy and candlelight dinners, it's about being there for each other through the good and bad times.

      Thanks for sharing this. When I was working with brides everyday, I used to collect 'how we met' and 'how he proposed' stories. I still love hearing them.

      Delete
  5. Hope you get the small box again this year. The memories are so sweet.
    Had to laugh about Joy. A friend of mine got some from her hubby--and it was expensive. She didn't say what it was but was asking us how we liked her new perfume and I said, "Oh he got you Grass." Grass was a cheap perfume from Gap. Hey, smelled the same to me. She wasn't amused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might not have been amused but you sure made me laugh. I still have a half a bottle of that Joy. No way can anyone use that much up before it turns bad.

      Delete
  6. It is nice you have such sweet memories of your husband. You are a lucky woman! You have lots of reasons to celebrate your Valentine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do but if there was a holiday called Happy Stubbornness Day I could cough up a few memories for that holiday as well. LOL

      Delete
  7. Dab on a bit of Joy and get the GOOD chocolates. I'd rather have one good piece than a box of ordinary.

    I use Clinique "Happy" since Mr. Ralph died. New phase, new aroma. Hoping it would make me feel happy during that first year. It did!

    My sister and hubs have MADE their own Valentines every year .... 32 years and they have saved every one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm losing my brain. I thought I replied to your comment yesterday!!! I'm impressed that your sister and husband have made cards for so many years.

      Delete
  8. Guys can be kinda clueless on the gifting front, but most times my DH has done well. We aren't big on Valentine's Day - usually just a card and maybe something sweet, but nothing big. It's such a high pressure holiday when you're dating though. Glad to be over that. :)

    One year when my kids were young, my brother had just moved to the area and was living with us temporarily. He came home from work on V. Day having stopped at a store and found all their chocolates 50% off late in the day. So he bought a heart-shaped box that was all chocolate covered nuts and he and I sat down and ate them. Yes - the entire box, and it wasn't a tiny one. We still talk about it. We were both kinda ill afterward but it's a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first 10 years after I met Don I worked in a large floral shop and that entire week of Valentine's day was crazy busy for me, working long hours. It wasn't like he could ignore the whole romance of the holiday. The first year when we weren't dating exclusively another guy who I was also dating had the guts to order flowers for me sent to the shop where I was working. It was that talk of both places. LOL

      Love your big box of chocolates story.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for honestly sharing some of your love story with us. Sometimes I need a wake-up call when it comes to appreciating my husband. Every couple has their own understanding of traditions and it sounds like you and your husband enjoyed a great love. Keep on buying the candy and roses. You're worth them and more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couples tend to take each other for granted from time to time, I think. We were no exception to that. If I could have a do over I'd show more appreciation for the simple day-to-day stuff that makes a couple work or I should say, made us work.

      Delete
  10. Good for you for treating yourself on Valentine's Day. Andy and I don't celebrate holidays with big gifts any more, and it's a great relief.

    I love the story about the box. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to find it another lock so the box doesn't look quite so bad, though it will never work.

      Any old excuse to buy myself candy and flowers works. LOL

      Delete
  11. My ex, always bought me some big boxes of Easter Eggs each year, and even when we split - it continued until I moved up to this unit, a bit of his radar as far as he was concerned, so no more Easter Eggs - he was always trying to out do the branded egg every year.

    I miss them, I should really buy some "just because" but each year I kind of forget.

    Never understood the candy/flower for Valentines Day, possibly because it wasn't widely celebrated here in NZ until the more recent retailer/profit margins fell into being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you're talking about the chocolate Easter Eggs? That's something I haven't had since I was kid and my dad would buy them. I remember how we used to try to start cutting/eating it from the back side to keep it pretty as long as possible.

      Don't feel bad about not understanding candy and flowers for Valentine's Day. A lot of people here claim they don't understand it either. It's a great tradition when it's spontaneously done from the heart. I have a lot of fond memories of the people who'd come in to order flowers for someone. V-Day and Saint Patrick's Day were my favorite holidays to work. Maybe it's the florist in me but a day set aside to acknowledge love or caring about someone else is a good thing for society whether you give or receive a gift or just exchange words expressing love or caring. Sure, it's commercialized but what isn't these days. Half the stuff we buy are 'wants' not 'needs' driven by the media and/or peer pressure.

      Delete
  12. I wouldn't let the Box you made go either. The Memories we attach to stuff are usually most poignant with the things nobody else would understand. Your Love Story made me choke up. After The Man's catastrophic accident I had to Grieve the Loss of the person I'd Married even tho' he was still Alive. We've all learned to Love "New Grandpa" as Princess T affectionately Labeled him, we all knew, even her at a tender Age, that "Old Grandpa" had died in that Accident and would never actually return. Valentine's Day prior to that fateful Day held a lot of Sweet Gifts, some weren't a good Read by him but the Love they were given spoke Volumes in the Best of ways. I only kept one, since it is hard now on an Emotional level. Since he requires full time Caregiving and no longer can go anywhere Alone... and is often very Child-Like when you do have to take him somewhere, so it's like having my Big Child in tow... we just forget about Valentine's Day for me. He likes Candy and probably enjoys his Sample Heart more than any Kid now, so that's enough for me. But, No, I do not like that Day anymore, it just makes me kinda Emotional in a not so good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean about 'New Grandpa' and grieving the man you married while he's still right there beside you. Your roles change after a mate gets brain damaged like both our husbands had. I never received a single gift the last 12 1/2 years of Don's life. Not that it really matter but it's just an example of how things changed. He couldn't understand money for several years in the beginning, couldn't go anywhere independent of me.

      And the Big Child thing..I can laugh about it with affection now but it was very stressful back when I was in your shoes, doing it in real time. He was still very social but had no language and had issues with impulse control (common for some types of brain damage) and he got himself more than a few pickles trying to communicate. For example, we were waiting in line at a meat counter once and I heard from behind me, "Buddy, if I wasn't an uncover cop who can read people you'd be punched out right now." I turned around knowing Don was involved. He loved to look at t-shirt logos and often pointed to them as 'conversation' starters. This time the lady's purse strap was covering over the logo and Don from his wheelchair reached up to move the strap so he could see the logo better. To anyone watching it probably looked like he was trying to take her purse, and then what? Make his get-away operating a wheelchair with one working leg and one working arm?

      In a similar situation, he got us banned from a store by a manager when a young cashier claimed he tried to touch her breast. He wasn't, he was pointing to her necklace. Doing that exact thing was an impulse control issue we'd been working on in speech therapy classes at the college. I had to do some fast taking just to keep the manager not to call the police. His impulse control issues got better as I'm sure your husband's do/did too. But like a little kid family caregivers have to be on guard 24/7.

      Delete
  13. This is such a wonderful post, Jean. So full of love and wisdom and most certainly it tells us so much about your relationship. I'm so glad you held onto the box and continue to do so. And you left us with words of wisdom which should be remembered often: "the gifts we receive may not be the gifts we want, it's the spirit in which gifts are given that really counts. "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word of wisdom, maybe. I had to valid writing a Valentine's Day post so far in advance of the actual day. LOL

      Delete
  14. Dear Jean, somewhere in that otherness where death takes each of us, I'm sure that Don is reading this love letter that you'll sending via your blog. Reading it, and like you, remembering your life together, the gifts, the sharing, the laughter, the tears, the good-byes and he's already composing his "hello's" for the future. Thank you for sharing your love for him with us. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee, I like to believe our souls will find each other again in the Great Unknown.

      Delete
  15. Your post took me way back, to grade school, and the boy who brought me one of those truly frilly hearts filled with candy. It was pink, with satin and lace, and it was such a thrill. I still smile when I go into Walgreens and see those candy-filled hearts. The chocolate's not so good, but there's something about them that a chocolate snob might never experience. I'm glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your memory! All young girls should have a similar story to carry over the years.

      If my memory isn't playing tricks on my dad gave me a heart-shaped candy box. He was like that, always gave me and my brother little gifts when he gave one to my mom.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.