Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, February 5, 2022

Lunch with Auntie Mame

 

I’ve written before about a woman who usually wears velvet pantsuits who lives here at the continuum care complex and who I’ve dubbed Auntie Mame because she’s loud, funny, out-going and friendly. But the thing I find especially fun about her is that she’s got this running joke going about how she wants to start a Scandals & Gossip Newspaper here on campus and shove them under our doors at night. Little does she (or anyone else know) that I write a version of that scandals and gossip rag and I shove it out into cyberspace.

She’s been pet sitting at her son’s house and hasn’t been on campus for almost a month so when she showed up at lunch recently I knew I’d be sitting in the cafe` longer than usual. This particular day she was on a role giving beauty tips for how to put on eyeliner and how to lose magnetic eyelashes. She also said she doesn’t make plans for anything past six months because---well, because she’s 86. That’s when I found out that I’m one of the youngest people in our merry band of misfits. Everyone around the table was over the 80 mile marker and I’m just barely under it. 

Things I did not know before Lunch: That elderly women can sit around talking about how and where to get the best eyebrow tattoos and microblading in town. I don’t really want them but I was surprised that at least four women here have them. I’d be afraid that I’d get a color or shape that I didn’t like or that a tattoo artist would give me what she or he thinks is stylish and not what I’d necessarily think is the cat’s mew. How many times have we explained how we wanted our hair cut only to walk out of a salon with a head of hair that looking entirely different? Tattoos and microbladng are permanent including the infections you can get from all those little cuts that are made with microblading. Look at me, using a word I didn’t even knew existed until our lunch conversation which, by the way, came with a lot of laughter. 

The oldest lady at the table has been dubbed The Queen Bee by others but not by me. Named so because she is often be found sitting in a large wing-backed chair in front of the fireplace holding court. She has tattooed eyebrows and is going in to get them done again because, she says, they've faded over the years. Eyebrow pencil and eyebrow paint are the only cosmetic additions to my face that I won't leave my apartment without. Even though I hate having one brown eyebrow and one gray one I wouldn’t in a hundred years get them tattooed to match. Tried getting them dyed to match once but the technician got dye in my eye and I thought I’d die. Never again.

At that lunch we covered hair dying and magnetic eye lashes and we learned how to make little dots along your eye lid when applying eyeliner. If I ever used eyeliner in the past it was for about a minute and a half. I could never get that stuff on back when I had a steady hand and now with wrinkles around my eyes I can only imagine how I’d look if I tried it now. No wonder some of these women get up at six o`clock if they feel compelled to do a full face of make up before leaving their apartments. I could sure used some foundation to cover up all the blemishes I’ve picked up since masks have come into required fashion. I have worse skin now than I did when I was a teen with a face full of acne. I had even planned to start wearing some make up after I got my cataracts removed when I thought I’ve be able to trust the colors I’m seeing. But so far I haven’t bothered. I have mastered putting earrings on, though. Wearing studs every day has improved my finger dexterity. I still pull the stoppers on the sinks before I mess with my earrings though, so they don’t accidentally end up down the drain.

I might not have a face full of make up that looks like I’m airbrushed to perfection like a few ladies here but I found out I have one thing others admire. I have thick, naturally wavy hair that still needs thinning when I get it cut and it requires nothing more than a wash job twice a week. I guess paying $57 plus aincludin tip to get it cut every four weeks is worth it. Several of the ladies here use the onsite hairdresser who comes to your apartment. She does a fabulous job but I’m not ready for that yet. The first time I have to pee at the salon where I go might make me reconsider that choice though. They have a toilet that I swear was made for midgets. I don’t think I could get back up if I ever sat on it. I took one look at it and made a beeline home instead. Getting old comes with all kinds of perils like that and few pluses unless you count three hour lunches that are often better than going to a comedy club.

Well, I’ve got to go get cleaned up for lunch. Today is fire drill day and if I have to put up with listening to them testing those bells all over the campus I might was well be where I can watch the firemen and women walking back and forth through the lobby. It’s the only time when I’m glad I don’t have a dog anymore. Robbie’s mom takes him on long walks when they test or she drops him off at the groomers when we know a drill is on the schedule©

41 comments:

  1. Just a thought -- lay a wash cloth over the sink drain hole so if you happen to drop an earring, it'll land in the wash cloth and not down the drain! ;) The ladies at your lunch sound like a hoot--lots of laughter. Have to say, my older sister got her eyebrows dyed and said she really regretted it. Once her hair turned a bit gray, her eyebrows stood out like Groucho Marx and she hated them, but what was done was done. It made me think twice about doing it -- and I only ever use lipstick and eyebrow pencil! Would love to get rid of the age spots on my face... take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do the wash cloth-over-the-drain in my old house. But here I've got two sinks so it's just easier to close the stoppers.

      Your sister's experience is why I'd never do the tattoo eyebrows or eyeliners. Fashions change too from thin to thick and back again. I don't have age spots. Yet. Oh, goodie, something to look forward to.

      Delete
  2. Ever since the onset of Covid (can you believe it's 2 yrs?) I've let my makeup routine slide. As I've gotten older, I've used it more sparingly. My mother was a pretty woman who had a heavy hand with makeup, and as she aged, I thought it detracted from her beauty, so I decided to do otherwise. I'd be afraid of anything permanent, like tats, but it would be fun to look in the mirror, any time of the day, and see eyebrows again, lol. We're in the deep freeze here in Illinois. Hope you're staying warm, Jean. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see it here so much but at my old senior hall there would be some women who had too heavy a hand with the made up. Mask wear has changed a lot of people's routines. I'll beat the lipstick companies feel the difference.

      It's five degrees right now! So glad I don't have to go outside for anything. I've been taking the lower route through the parking garage to get to the other building for my mail and meals. They keep it 60 down there.

      Delete
  3. I don't wear makeup so I don't have to worry about all of these things! I just look the way I look and I am okay with that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a healthy attitude! And it sure saves a lot of money. When I buy make up---which isn't often---it goes rancid before it gets used up.

      Delete
  4. I love all the fun socializing you take part in at your residence. The topics are so varied and wild.

    I stopped wearing all makeup except mascara a couple years ago, and it is wonderful. I use good night cream and daytime moisturizers, and my skin is so grateful.

    You have thick, wavy hair and a great personality (and probably a charming and warm smile), so less is more for you as far as makeup goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People do tell me I have a great smile. So there's that. LOL

      I really need to start using creams and moisturizers more often. It's kind of hit and miss thing with me.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fun lunch! I do use tinted moisturizer/sunscreen if I am going out. However masks make it more challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a lot of masks with make up inside or on the outside if people have reused them and put them on differently that second time. LOL

      Delete
  6. What IS it with short toilets? The tall toilet is the best invention ever and someday I will get one. The toilets at Target look like they were bought from a kindergarten yard sale. Not great for people with bad knees (among other parts!). I don't wear a lot of make up -- a bit of eyeliner and blush. But my eyebrows are pretty much blended into the face by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a family bathroom in a grocery store near me---in a 'better neighborhood' that has two different sized toilets in it and a urinal. Almost took a photo of it the first time I saw it as it was the first time I saw a kid sized toilet. Stores that cater to adults but put in those short toilets are just looking at the bottom line when building.

      Delete
  7. oh this was funny. I can't imagine tattooing eyebrows but I have many friends who do. I'm fine with pencils and minerals to do the trick. The velvet track suit lady also gave me a chuckle. That look was a running joke on Hot In Cleveland because Betty White's character wore them all the time. I have never encountered a short toilet and that could be because I am 5'1" and it didn't seem short, but I think I'd notice the difference. I don't often have my feet touch the floor on regular toilets so those short ones would be great for we short people. It's not a long trip down for me so getting up isn't difficult. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think track suits are popular in places like this because they are comfortable and easy to care for. I can't wear them because I'd need a different size on top than on the bottom but I would if I could.

      At one time I was 5'7 1/2" but now I'm 5'4" with my bone deterioration. I never pictured you as short because you have such a big personality.

      Delete
    2. Jean, they come in pieces now so you can get a top in one size and bottom in another. I have same issue. And I used to be 5'2 and now 5'1". Sadly my waist size didn't go down with age.

      Delete
  8. All public toilets are short now since I put a raised seat on mine. When I have to use a public one it is really a struggle getting up. How nice you are the baby of the bunch and your group sounds like such fun. Lets hope they never find out about your blog:)) Actually you are mostly flattering of the others so don't worry about them finding out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to leave the less flattering comments in on the editor's desk so to speak, just in case I do get discovered.

      Finding good public bathrooms is an issue for sure. I always make sure I don't take an end stall because when there isn't a grab rail you can grab onto the bottom of half wall to help get you up off a low toilet.

      Delete
  9. I’ve thought about the eyebrow tattooing but what happens when your real remaining eyebrow hairs get more and more white (as mine seem to be doing) and the tattooed parts stay dark? Eeek. This scares me enough that I will continue to use a pencil or gel to colour mine in!
    Although I love playing with makeup, I never wore it every day when younger and I find I am using even less now. Which is probably a good thing as too much makeup is aging, I find.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I'm gathering they shave off your eyebrows to do the tattoos and with the microblading they don't come back in again. If anyone wants to talk themselves of doing it, google 'eyebrow tattoos gone wrong'. It's scary that anyone would do it just to save themselves a little time in the mornings or whatever their reasons are.

      Delete
    2. I always imagined they just "filled in" with the tattoos. Autoimmune thyroid disease has thinned my eyebrows, and skin cancer took away most of the outer edge of one and the middle of my lower eyelid (reconstructed nicely) on the other side, so I'm short on both brows and eyelashes. I had actually considered eyebrow tattoos, but not now!

      Delete
    3. I have the same autoimmune thyroid disease that causes women to loss the outside part of their eyebrows. My eyelashes are also a lost cause. I don't mess with eye make up because I'm fearful of infections that could take my sight. Why does society still tell us we're not 'pretty enough' without the eye painting ritual that's been around since at least the days of the pyramids?

      Delete
  10. I've had my eyebrows micro-bladed! They have a million stencils to choose the right shape. Then she drew them on to be sure. Once we settled on shape, the feathery strokes began. She plucked the hairs that didn't fit in with the new shape. I loved having eyebrows, especially in the ocean or the pool in Maui.

    But they fade over time and it is too expensive to do every two years. So I'm back brow mascara. I do get them waxed into shape 2-3 times a year ... although that is getting expensive also.

    But I haven't done full make up for two years. I hardly do my eyes any more. Aging out of fashion, I guess. In fact, if I get out of my pajama wear, the family asks if I'm going somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I can see why is you spend a lot of time around or in a pool that they would be an advantage. I've never had my eyebrows waxed but when I was younger and had a une-brow I would have done that if it had been around back then.

      Delete
  11. Your newsletter comment made me think of Lady Whistledown's Scandal Sheet on Bridgerton. Not sure if you've watched it, but it's an enjoyable fluffy series with some great eye candy, which I think you enjoy. LOL.

    I had my eyebrows dyed when I lived in California, but I'm too lazy to keep up with something like that. And I won't ever take on a needle regimen voluntarily. I've seen a couple people who had their eye makeup tattoed on (including eyebrows) and it seemed to look weird over time. Maybe it was done badly, but I wouldn't take that chance. My eyebrows are one thing I'm willing to draw in if I decide it's a "makeup day". But since the pandemic hit, I just don't take it on most days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't started watching Bridgerton yet. I tend to binge on show to the end before starting another and right now I'm on 'In the Dark' which is a character driven, gritty thing. No eye candy but I do like it for purely artistic reasons. LOL

      The thought that tattoo and microblading makeup fades over time is one of the reasons I wouldn't do it. Why kids in their 20s think they'll always want the same look in 20-30 years is a mystery to me.

      Delete
  12. I have never done a thing with my eyebrows. They are very light and barely noticeable, but whenever I tried to pencil them they looked foolish. I wear bangs, so I figure my hair mostly detracts from the "no eyebrow" look. Now mascara -- can't go anywhere without it or my eyes seem to disappear completely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all seem to have our 'must have' to do or wear before going out in public. My eye lashes have all but disappeared so where mascara would be hard. You can get them permanently set in, too, one lash at a time.

      Delete
  13. Now I don't feel so judgmental about Princess T losing all my Magnetic Eyelashes if your Friend tells Lost Magnetic Eyelash Stories. I never could get them on but I desperately need Eyelashes. I've heard you can get them installed at a Salon, I'd go for permanent Eyelash installation if that were a possibility, but like you, Tattooed Make-Up would be too scary to contemplate since it is permanent and if they messed up... well... I had a Friend at the DA's Office who had Eyelid Cancer and had to have a portion removed, so she got permanent Eyeliner Tattooed to cover up the slight disfigurement. It turned out good, but Tattoo do hurt so I couldn't imagine getting it done on such delicate skin around the Eyes no less... Lord have Mercy! I laughed so hard about not making plans more than 6 mos. out when you're in your late 80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have some eyelashes you can get that are semi-permanent, they are put on one lash at a time and look pretty good. The tattooed eyeline sure wouldn't be fun to get but I know of at least one person here whose done it and it looks okay. I'm not a fan of eyeliner in general.

      Delete
  14. There's so much here I knew nothing about. My makeup routine involves a nice suncreen-rich moisturizer and lipstick. End of story: total time to apply, two and a half-minutes at the outside. I never did use eye makeup once I got past high school, and I can't remember the last time I applied powder or a base. I still have both in a drawer, so I did at some time. I guess I keep them for the same reason I still have a couple of pairs of heels: some day, they might be required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't remember when you last wore that powder and base chances are they are rancid and would smell that way if you attempted to apply it now. Our skin color changes too so the color might not work anymore either. You're out in the sun a lot and can't believe you'd even need any make up to make your face look good and healthy.

      Delete
  15. A neighbor got her eyebrows tattooed a dark color that made her look tired. In an effort to undo the impact of the brows she dyed her hair blonde, a shade that went with her skin tone beautifully but made her brows look menacing. After seeing her transformations I am wary of all things permanent, especially eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love hearing about what you all talk about there. I would never get permanent makeup or microblading. Even though it takes me about an hour to put my makeup on in the morning I would rather do that than like you said, have to worry that the tattoo makeup would come out wrong for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My eyebrows are the only makeup I do when I go out as color has gone from what I used to have. I can't believe they wouldn't have tall commodes in that bathroom -- a given need for just about every aging person sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must not be a law about the height of the toilets in public places here or else they've managed to avoid it for a long time. It's been a long while since I've run into that situation.

      Delete
  18. I think I'm a little too afraid to get the eyebrow treatment. My eyebrows have these long white whiskers like some old man. I asked my beautician to trim them once and I really liked how they felt and looked. She used the shaver thingy. I keep moving and arranging my makeup as I wander from apartment to apartment. When I go for holidays at a family member's house I put on mascara and blush and maybe a little something extra but no matter how good my intentions are to make myself look nice, I just don't have the desire to slap it on anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get my eyebrows trim every time I get my hair cut which is every four weeks. It makes a difference. They grow willy nitty as we age.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.