Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, February 12, 2022

When Good People Die

My favorite sister-in-law passed away this week. Her lungs had been compromised for the past few years, but recently she’d spend ten days in ICU and she died when they took her off a ventilator. An all too common story lately although I kind of doubt Covid was in the picture because her whole family was with her when they pulled the plug. Dianna didn’t smoke, ate healthy, exercised religiously and didn’t have an ounce of fat on her body. She was that person who took care of family or friends when their spouse or child was in the hospital. She’d bring her picnic basket fulled with fruits and healthy snacks and water bottles. She didn't just give you the line, "If I can do anything, let me know..." She'd follow that up with suggestions like letting your dog out or feeding your cat or bringing your mail inside, picking your kids up from school or doing your laundry. One time after Don’s massive stroke, she even showed up with her PJ's to stay overnight in the hospital with him and told me to go home and sleep in my own bed. He was in the hospital an entire month and she was my angel hovering in my peripheral, stopping by every 2-3 days to check on us. She was a pre-school teacher for over 25 years and she was also a Trump supporter, an enigma I’ve never been able to figure out. I didn’t try very hard because, well, she was such good person to her core and sometimes you have to accept the dark differences in those you love.

Don had three older brothers. The second oldest never understood or even pretended to have much respect for his kid brother. He was all about tennis shorts and cashmere sweaters and Don was all about denim jeans and cowboy boots. His oldest brother took on more of a mentor role who clashed heads with his sons and Don equally but their two-way love and respect always came through. The brother closest to Don’s age was still ten years older than Don and he was married to Dianna. They were also in the tennis shorts and cashmere stratosphere of life but they never forgot where they came from---lovely, classy people who didn’t judge Don for his blue collar life. And you could always count on them for certain things: gourmet dishes to pass at family parties, always looking like they stepped off the pages of a fashion magazine and sending Christmas cards with photos of the whole family dressed alike. Even after their grandchildren were college graduates, they still did the cards with the matchy-matchy outfits---ten people all lined up for a photo taken on a summer vacation. I didn’t get their Christmas card this year which sounded the first alarm bell that something serious was going on at their house.

I’m at that time in life when the lack of a Christmas card becomes a clue to something we’re really not ready to face. My best friend since kindergarten also didn’t send out cards this year. To make matters more ominous her email had been recently hacked and I didn’t have a current replacement address which has been our chief way of communicating. I tried calling but I kept getting a message that her voice box had not been set up and my text messages went unanswered. I’d even googled for her and her husband for obituaries that I gratefully I didn’t find.

For our entire adult lives Nancy and I touched bases every four to six weeks but I’d always get a sense when something was going on in her life and sure enough, we both have the same thoughts in the same time frame. Back when we did snail mail our letters often crossed at the post office. Explanations for Nancy’s missing Christmas card turned out better than for Dianna’s. This past week we finally were able to communicate after her husband contacted me with a new email address. They’d both had health issues over the holidays that included a hospitalization and they were just now getting back to normal. 

I’ve only had two blood-brothers-close friends in my life: Nancy and Don. Sometimes I think my lack of close friends has been because I haven’t been as good of a friend as others have been to me. I’ve never been that person, for example, who brings a picnic basket to the hospital. Other times I know it’s normal to have just a couple of people in a lifetime who you’re willing to bare your soul to, who you know will love you and you them no matter what. Or like the young people say today, a friend who if you asked them to help you bury a body would bring a shovel and not ask questions. (Nancy, if you're reading please note that the last sentence is a euphemism. Unless it's a small animal's body I won't literally help you bury a body. I will, however help you go to the police to confess a murder and empty out my bank account to get you a good lawyer.)

Back on topic: What do you do when good people die during a pandemic? The last time that happened in my family they had the funeral virtually. It was strange and cold and the equipment they live-streamed it on was so poor that it was impossible to view without feeling like a voyeur watching something on a hidden camera that I wasn’t meant to see. Who would have ever guessed a pandemic would have us wishing we could go to memorial services to dispense hugs and kind words! No matter what Dianna's daughters and husband plan, I’ll do what I always do and that’s to write…the personalized sympathy cards, the Facebook messages…and this blog post. She was such a good person and she will be missed.   

I just got word that my husband's second oldest brother also died this week. I'll be writing a lot of those cards and messages in the coming days....©


55 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Please accept my heartfelt condolences on your loss. Believe it or not, our younger son was just now talking about the husband of his landlady who is battling throat cancer and we were discussing people passing. It's never easy. So very sorry. Gentle, healing hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter what your relationship, it makes you think of how fragile life really is doesn't it.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful memorial post, introducing us to Dianna while saying goodbye to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I'm so sorry for your loss, Jean. Pandemic funerals are the worst. Nothing more comforting than hugs at a time like that, and the loss of that closeness just adds to the grief. My DIL attended her dad's funeral in California via Zoom last year, and it was a pretty empty experience.

    So glad your Nancy is doing OK and you have reconnected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine a Zoom funeral for one's dad! I suppose it's better than none at all, though. I don't really think it's good for society to do away with funerals or small memorial services.

      Me too on Nancy. It made me feel so helpless, not knowing how to contact her. She lives out of state. Losing track of a good friend after 75 years was not fun.

      Delete
    2. My DIL was able to visit her dad while he still knew her and the funeral ended up at the height of Covid. She has two young kids and wasn't willing to take on cross country air travel at that point, but it was a tough situation for sure. Like most others, I'm kinda sick of Zoom. But it has served a purpose I guess.

      Delete
    3. A visit before someone dies is better than afterward but it is sad when we can't do both safely. I've never done Zoom but I keep saying I need to because my doctor does calls that way for $25 which is cheaper than in person appointments and you can get the zoom appointments quicker.

      Delete
  4. It’s a scary time for sure. I have just a few close friends no they are all older than me. It’s kinda like I don’t want to be the first or the last…but we don’t get to chose. I’m a widow and I don’t do well emotionally, alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was the first in my age group to die and you're right, being the last in our age group or younger to go would sure be hard to handle. We get through it though. We have to to tell their story and keep their memories alive.

      Delete
  5. So sorry you lost such an obviously good person in Dianna. I had a friend like your sister-in-law and their passing always seems so unfair. They set the friendship bar so high and I know I personally could never quite measure up.
    The lack of funeral services today are so sad. Usually it is small memorial service is set up at a much later time.
    Keep those cared coming Jean for they are so welcome and comforting and one of he few ways we have today to reach out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianna certainly did set the bar high. Her two daughters have her same grace and caring nature as their mother. I'm glad they all got to say their goodbyes at the end. From what they both said, they found their peace in the process as I did with Don too. It's such a privilege to be present in a Hospice situation like they had, gives you a huge head start on the closure we all need. Of course it doesn't feel like a privilege at the time, just feels like heartbreak.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry for the loss of these people in your life. It's so hard to suddenly know that they're just not going to be there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I talked to someone who just took a friend who is 101 out to lunch. Can you imagine how many goodbyes a person that age has had to say!

      Delete
    2. One of my closest friends died last March of Cancer. We had a telephone conversation before she died and she let me know that it was important to eat blueberry pie. She knew that I was having problems with alcohol abuse and that was her last words to me. The older I get the more good friends are lost.

      Delete
    3. I'll bet you think of her every time you see pie or blueberries.

      Delete
  7. She sounds like a wonderful person, so sorry for your loss. Then to have 2 losses so close together. WOW. This pandemic has brought on to much of that. Many people aren't doing funerals when loved one pass; but later a celebration of life service has become quite common place. ((HUGS)) to you and yours as you go through these losses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all know in the back of our minds that we're going to lose friends and family as we age. What I didn't expect is how badly I feel for Dianna's daughters. They were so close to their mom.

      Delete
  8. Your SIL sounds like an amazing and generous person who knew how to show her love and care. I hope your wonderful memories of her will help you with her loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have some great memories. Hand down she was the one all the nieces and nephews respected and thought of as the classy woman in the family. No one ever had a bad word to say about her.

      Delete
  9. Dianna sounds so lovely. I am sorry for this big loss in your life. Worst part of being our age isn't it? The funeral tradition may change and that has been very difficult for most, so it was especially nice to know her family was able to be by her side at that time. That was a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm glad you got to be with Izzy in the same way. I'm so sorry about yours and Rick's loss which is in no less difficult or heart wrenching because she had four legs.

      Delete
  10. So sorry for your losses, Jean. It’s tough when you cannot physically attend a funeral. The living need that, as part of the grieving process. I know what you mean about the virtual services. I attended one last spring - the video quality was good and it was lovely to see my relatives in the Netherlands gathered (although physically distancing themselves in the funeral home) but I couldn’t interact with any of them or hug them…and they couldn’t see that I was there.
    It might help to have your own way of saying goodbye, to create your own service by taking some time to privately honour that person’s life. I’ve tried to do that, and it helps.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the virtual services don't show the family who is there with them and I know from first hand experience how much of a comfort it is to have people around you who tell you little stories or comments on how the deceased enriched their lives. I know when my mom died I was shocked at how many people told me about how she had slipped them money when they are struggling to feed their kids or pay their bills.

      Delete
    2. P.S. From what I'm seeing on Facebook, they are taking the place of the in-person mini conversations that we'd normally have at a visitation or funeral.

      Delete
  11. Most of us are experiencing this same thing so we understand and sympathize with your sense of loss. It feels especially pervasive because of the pandemic, even though we don't know most of the people leaving us.

    And thank you for reminding us that political beliefs don't give an accurate picture of a person's character. It's absurd for us to be hating each other for something so transient and poorly thought out.....during a pandemic yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really struggle with using the whole Trump supporter thing from becoming an Litmus Test for a person's whole character (as you'll see a touch of in my next post). I've used Dianna and a couple other relatives many times in my mind to help keep me in check from doing that. But I try so hard to understand how those I know really well got caught up in his cult-of-personality and with most of them I can point to a lack of education and ability for critical thinking but Diann's support truly has stayed a mystery.

      Delete
  12. Oh Jean, I am so sorry. That's a lot to carry in your heart, especially the loss of Dianna, who sounds like she was one of earth's angels. I know they will understand why you won't be at the memorial, should they have one. And who knows? Maybe they will wait till things calm down a bit. I am glad Nancy and her husband are still in this world. It's a tough world these days. I'm so sorry you have to be experiencing it directly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The family is having a service just for her husband, daughters and their spouses and kids. It was her final wishes that it be a private thing. I am not surprised at that because she was never one to want to be the center of attention.

      Delete
  13. Jean, I'm truly sorry that you lost Dianna, and grateful that you were able to touch base with Nancy. I was just thinking about all the people we've lost in the past few years. It sure is hard. I'm from the midwest farming traditions. When someone dies, everyone goes to the funeral, and the meal following, so you can give hugs, share stories and encourage one another. Then neighbors would take turns delivering meals or baked goods. If needed, we'd help them with chores and field work. This isn't easy, but it really does help heal the hearts of those left behind. Darn this lousy Covid!! Your tribute to Dianna was beautiful. Makes me want to be a better person. Sending you a big virtual hug, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught that hug. Thanks. I wonder when this is all over if we'll ever return to having the traditions around a death that we've lost to Covid. One of the neighbors from our cottage died a few years ago and he was the first person I remember who didn't have a funeral or even a newspaper announcement. Even though weren't super close, I'd known him almost my entire life and I missed having the closure of gathering and sharing memories, etc.

      Delete
  14. When my friend Joyce died during the first year of the pandemic, we did an online memorial service via Zoom. But it wasn't a formal service -- more an opportunity for people to get together and share memories. Afterward, many of those who participated expressed appreciation for the opportunity to share those remembrances. One advantage of the virtual format was the inclusion of distant relatives and friends who probably wouldn't have been able to attend an in-person event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the funeral home where my cousin's funeral was held virtually had a clue what they were doing. The camera angles were wrong, the voices hard to hear and full of static. But it was at the beginning of the pandemic so it could be different there now. I agree about distant relatives being able to attend virtual services. I know a few out of state cousins were able to see this one.

      Delete
  15. What a lovely tribute. She sounds like a wonderful person. I also have a person in my life that is a Trump fan and she is so kind and sweet to me. I choose not to talk politics with her. I want to keep her close. Life is short. I'm so sorry for you loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about not talking politics with people we really love. That doesn't mean it doesn't drive me crazy how, why he was able to get their loyalty.

      Nice to see you again. I wish you were still blogging....

      Delete
  16. You wrote such a nice tribute for your SiL. I hope that sharing happy memories with family and friends will bring you and them comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way it works. Memories shared helps keep a person in our hearts.

      Delete
  17. I am sorry for your loss, Jean R. My condolences. ~ Libby

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry for your double loss Jean. People like your SIL are rare indeed, they are the Ride or Die Friends/Family Members that are always there for those they Care about. Learning that your BIL also has passed... it's just a lot... virtual Hugs my Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry for your losses. Difficult to know what to make of two deaths so close together. I agree about the Christmas card situation. When one doesn't arrive you begin to wonder, then start googling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother-in-law lives out of state so it's been hard to get information. I don't think he was ill but he was old.

      Delete
  20. This post is a lovely and appropriate way to memorialize Dianna. And, as you said in your post and some of your comments, it's a fact that we never know what's coming next; it's only when those nearest and dearest to us begin disappearing from the scene that the "cycle of life" becomes real in a more visceral way. I'm glad you had the chance to know her, and that you'll carry such sweet memories of her through the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You have such a wonderful way with words. No wonder you're one of my favorite non-fiction writers/bloggers.

      Delete
  21. I lost a very good friend last year. She was one of the few people that loved her job and worked until a week before she passed away. We may not have seen each other often (especially during lock down). We would always call each other. I am in my seventies and losing more people in my life. My good friend cannot be replaced. We were good friends through thick and thin for 53 years. Thank you for the great article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things the blog community teaches us all---those who read and those who write them---is that we have so many things in common when we get to see the workings of each others minds. When each person who knew us well passes on we lose a piece of ourselves. Long time friendships cannot be replaced. Sorry for your loss as well.

      Delete
  22. I'm so sorry for the loss of these family anchors. She sounds like a wonderful person. (minus the Trump support of course) I'm only good at sending cards; otherwise I feel helpless. I don't want to be intrusive, don't know what people might need, thus I do little to nothing. And feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Family anchors"---I like that term. I think most of us feel helpless and guilty both for not doing more than sending cards. But cards do help.

      Delete
  23. Covid seems to have made us loose contact with so many close family and friends. I'm sorry for your loss. Special people are always hard to replace and at our age, even harder. I'm glad you are in a place surrounded by people in such a way that you can enjoy companionship or solitude as you please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about that. I have a large family outing to attend this week with my husband's sit of the family and it will be filled with anti-vaccers. I haven't seen any of them in two years because of Covid but I want to. I think I will go but not eat so I can keep my M95 mask on the entire time.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.