Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Downsizing in Widowhood City


Since I started my downsizing project a few of weeks ago I’ve cleaned seven drawers, filled a large trash bag full of shredded papers and listed ten things on e-Bay. It doesn’t sound like a lot but it feels like it was. The sentimental things I brought out to my nieces last week came from three of those drawers and two of the drawers was full of records of e-Bay and antique mall sales---representing so much more than just sales. I couldn’t help getting lost in reading those records here and there and remembering where Don and I was when we found a certain ‘treasure’ we couldn’t pass up. It was Don’s passion. And mine before we met. He got a thrill out of the hunt and every chance we got we were combing estate sales, flea markets, garage sales and antique malls. 

I was the person in charge of cleaning and pricing the collectibles we bought, entering them into our inventory software, keeping our antique booths stocked and tracking sales. Don was the ‘purchasing agent’ and research guy…I’m talking in the days before his stroke. He especially loved traveling across the country to go to 3-4 summer conventions and swap meets each year. And why not. I did all the packing and unpacking for those shows and he was the sales guy who stood in our vendor space swapping stories and selling gas station collectibles---our market niche--to other hardcore gas and oil guys. If you’re wondering if there’s a little resentment in that last sentence, don’t. There’s just no other way to describe the division of labor. Don was a workaholic most of the time and he deserved these unwind and have-fun weekends. He loved it all---the auctions, dinners and show-and-tell events that took place in the evenings after the swap meets closed down for the day. They were high energy where millionaires, museum curators and flea-marketers alike gathered to share a love for the early days when gas stations first spread across America. 

My current e-Bay strategy is simple: list the hardest to pack and ship things first in case I run out of steam before I’m finished. After Don died I spent two years in e-Bay Hell selling off Don’s private collection to the tune of forty thousand dollars, enough to pay off the mortgage. The 3rdyear I opened another antique booth and hauled lesser stuff to a local auction house. I don’t have much left but I don’t have much energy left either. I literally spent a full morning constructing a box and packing something that is one of only twenty ever made. A royal pain in the butt, but I did it. You can’t donate something like that to Goodwill. Well, you could but how dumb would that be? (I knew a widow who threw out her husband’s entire collection---junk to her---while complaining about not having enough money to live on.) I have, however decided to donate Don’s language disorders machine. I should have done it soon after he died. It was a pricey piece of equipment and it was worth selling back then when the technology was brand new. Now, not so much. Now it represents a problem because I need to take Don’s personal information off the software and so much time has passed since he died that I’ll have to relearn the program to do it. I’m saving that project until winter. Downsizing in Widowhood City is like living your life is in reverse. It’s depressing at times and at other times it’s fun to walk down Memory Lane. 

All of us want to believe we are or was a part of something bigger than ourselves. It’s too late for my husband to be Teddy Roosevelt but Don would have loved to be an outdoor adventurer like Teddy was in his ‘spare time’ and he studied the man’s life like it was a map to the Holy Grail. We had that in common…the love of learning. Don’s passion for gas and oil collecting, for example, led us to learning about the era of wildcat drilling for crude in Texas and Pennsylvania, the lives of the big oil tycoons, the era when gas pumps first populated in front of hardware stores across the nation and the heydays of Route 66. By studying the industry’s history he was able to find a few items that ended up in museums and that’s about as close to being part of something bigger than himself as he ever got. But his love for what he loved was palatable to all who knew him and hopefully that’s the big take-away he passed on to family and friends---that to fully appreciate the present we pay homage to the history makers of bygone eras, and by telling their stories we become the flame tenders on the continuum of time. ©


NOTE: The photo above is a colorized photo of a black and white image taken by Dorothea Lang, a woman who photo-documented the Dust Bowl during the Depression. It was taken in Gordonton, North Carolina in 1939. When we went down to Texas in 1990 we experienced a couple of places like that…where several black men came off a porch to pump gas, check our oil and clean our windows and when it was time to pay, the white guy came down to take our money. We came back from that trip believing that affirmative action laws were still needed in this country.

32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Like many/most of us, when I look back on my life it boggles my mind how busy we were and yet we didn't accomplishment any really important like establish the National Parks like Teddy did for future generations to enjoy. We didn't cure cancer either but neither has anyone else, so I guess that's still up for grabs. LOL

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed your blog Jean. It's history that I'm happy to enjoy knowing about you and your late husband Don. I'm trying to get Mary Lou to begin checking out what she wants to save and get rid off. I just want to chuck out but no, I might get killed. LOL See you my friend.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a funny thing about downsizing. At times it's like having a baby. The process is hard and painful but the minute that baby comes out you forget about that pain.

      Delete
  3. Jean :

    I love this blog & loved learning abut your shared love-story with Don, got to meet Don as a different person. I am not very good in getting rid of my old life, I remember going through huge meltdown when hubby went through my prestroke traditional outfits I used to wear for traditinal Indian dances & threw them out, it felt as if he was throwing out that old me, who used to be first on dance floor having fun & was the one who introduced him to it. Ofcourse fast forward few years & finally got courage enough to g again & start dancing without feeling sorry for myself & start enjoying again. I think now I won't have issues throwing my old stuff but it was pretty raw for years.

    Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my husband probably felt the same way when I had an auction at his 100 foot pole barn. We fought over so many things he wanted to keep. At that point in time he wasn't ready to accept that he'd never run his front end loader or street sweeper, etc. again. It made me feel heartless but we couldn't afford to keep paying building rent and insurance to hold onto a past he'd never be able to go back to. "Pretty raw" is a great way to describe those years so common when a stroke effects a family.

      Delete
  4. Living your life in reverse is a great way to describe it, except for the living part. I guess you don't actually get to go back and relive it in the same way, and that's the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You buy and you sell. You make memories and then you remember them. Memories can actually be better because they don't come with the physical aches and pains of creating them in the first place. LOL

      Delete
  5. And that’s why you are so SMART to downsize more before you have too. Reliving the journey. I with I had taken photos of items before selling, giving away or donating. And now it is time to work on the art ... so this next generation can make the walls their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have all the photos of the stuff on my computer that I auctioned off after Don died. Can't seem to delete it yet.

      Loving thoughts you have about your walls but don't forget you're still alive and own the place. See, you are a better mother than I would be in the same situation. LOL

      Delete
    2. Don't delete the photos! They don't take up any space!! I have my favorite art up in my apartment ...

      I don't entertain here or have friends over (I use my clubhouse living room!), and I love seeing what they choose. Jesse just put up metal strips with magnets in the hall ... now the boys can post their artwork! I'm thinking of taking photos of a "special" piece and keeping an album ... so we don't have to save everything ...

      Delete
    3. The metal strips with magnets is a great idea. I tried to get my brother to do something similar because he had tons of photos of his grand-kids EVERYWHERE. He needed a place to control them...remove old when the new ones come in.

      We have a similar idea. I want to make a bound book at Blurb titled my 'Favorite things' and take photos of my 20-25 favorite things and tell a little history of each. I did that of my husband's stuff and I treasure the book. Takes up less than half inch on a bookshelf.

      Delete
  6. Really interesting, Jean. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did follow a slightly different drummer than a lot of our peers.

      Delete
  7. This was an interesting look into Don's passion and your helping him to enjoy it. It doesn't hurt if you can profit from it.
    That photo is so telling and I can't believe in 1990 you saw the practice still in effect. We have so far to go yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were shocked about that 1990 experience too---a few others along the same vain on the same trip. Don worked with a black guy back then and he was telling him about our trip. The guy said, "I wish I could do a trip like that." Don asked, "Why can't you? You make good money and could get the time off." The guy went on to tell him that it was still too dangerous for black people to travel in certain parts of the south like we did back then. That was 28 years ago when they started debating if affirmative action laws were still needed. That trip sure turned out views around.

      Delete
  8. It's fascinating to read about your process of downsizing. You're a wise woman to do it now.

    I spent some time in Georgia in the 70's and found the attitude toward blacks very different than what I was used to in Oregon. More benevolent, but unquestionably superior. Kind of like how one would consider the family dog: Just fine as long as it behaved. I didn't know what to make of it, but I didn't see the malice or fear I'd seen in Oregon. I went to school with black kids until I was 7, but didn't interact with them. I assumed it was because they preferred the company of other black kids. At that age I didn't understand cultural segregation.

    I'm certain old attitudes reign supreme in some of the rural areas of the South. White families don't have to warn their kids how to behave around police so they don't get killed. I don't think. Maybe in poverty stricken areas they do.

    It's disheartening that this administration wants to go backward. I'm marking the days off the calendar until November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting observations and contrasts between Oregon and Georgia.

      November can't come fast enough but judging by today's news cycle this administration's West Wing is going to self-destruct before then.

      Delete
  9. Maybe you should get a "stick" to download all your photos to--just in case your computer goes wonky on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a carbonate subscriptions that automatically saves all my documents and photos on a cloud. Last time I crashed i was able to reload every thing. I can also access them from any computer if I'm away from home.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear that you are getting a lot of that sorting done. Good luck with the ebay! I just can't do that anymore. You must have been haunted by those special items. The Historical Society said thanks, but no thanks, as far as the century old baptism gown went. The woman said they had a bunch of them in storage ... Guess my kids weren't the only ones who didn't want. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e-Bay seems to have change a lot in reason years. Listing is easier and the fee structure is different. The buyers seem to prefer the 'buy it now' instead of the auction format, which as a seller I don't like to do because I like to have a rhythm to my schedule without worrying about having to make a run to the post office every day.

      That's too bad about the baptism gown. I just checked e-Bay and they have quite a few of them listed but when I checked the completed listings they don't have many sell through.

      Delete
  11. You've been very disciplined in your downsizing project - congratulations on a job well done! Its that first step I find that is the most difficult, and once you start, the momentum carries you through.

    I found your comments on e-bay interesting. And you're very much up with all the latest IT stuff (in my case, without the kids, I'd be totally ignorant) ~ Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you saw how much time I waste on a daily basis you wouldn't call me disciplined. Like yesterday I spent several hours on a political site and watching the confirmation hearings at the same time.

      I wouldn't call me up on IT stuff. I just ask google everything I don't know...and I do it frequently.

      Delete
  12. I love this post, partly because I admire your downsizing commitment and mostly because it allowed me the opportunity to learn a bit more about Don. It's a lovely post. Good luck with your ebay. You could probably get the software off by taking to a computer geek and you might have to pay but might be one of those time versus money things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I don't want to get the software off because that was the costly part---in the mid thousands back when new, a lot less now. It literally has pictures of just about everything we see, know and feel over a life time, used to build sentences for people who have lost their written and verbal language. The machine can help a person with no language practice therapies or talk for them. What I need to get off the machine are the personalized sentences he could bring up like: "My name is Don...." "I live at...." "Will you call my wife?" I really don't think it will take me that long to figure out how to delete stuff but I don't want to revisit those memories of helping him use the machine and going to speech classes, so I've put it off too long. Donating it will get the machine in the hands of a community of people who help people who have no insurance for devices like that. Wiping out the software would be such a waste.

      Delete
  13. Glad to read about the progress you're making with your downsizing. Sounds like you've made a good decision with your language program. Am sure the unit will be beneficial for whoever receives it.

    I really need to get my act together and go through some things here. Have never sold items on the Internet and not sure I want to get into it, but since you have familiarity with the process I'm glad it works so well for you. Sounds like you really have had a lot of items. I recall years ago visiting a local business that a person could take items to and they would handle promoting them on internet, selling them and taking a small percentage. I got side-tracked and never took anything to them, but don't think they're even in business now. Don't know if anyone still even does that any more, or if it was even profitable for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listing stuff online for others was a fade business for a few years but not many around anymore. Just not enough money it. The places around here took 35% and they didn't take things under that wouldn't sell for over $75. It's too time intense. Some of the antique shops do e-Bay as a side business, so if you could try them. Lots of local online places to sell now, too, where you meet in a parking lot to do the exchanges. I have not done that but I see them all the time. They meet in the back of the police department's parking lot.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the update on selling items. I figured that was an approach that didn't last long.

      Delete
  14. I relate to this post about you and Don and downsizing, as I have lots of things to go through and recycle, give away or keep. I keep finding more papers, almost all can be thrown out. Yet I am keeping my husband's collection of hundreds of travel adventure books since they remind me of him and his outdoor adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sounds like a great collection. A few people misunderstand keeping a husband's favorite things and think we're living in the past or some other unhealthy thing. But that is far from true, in my opinion, because a spouse's collection is also part of our own histories...the conversations about them, the excitement of discovery they shared in finding something, the hunt to buy this or that etc., etc. I did sell off some of my husband's books---specialized collector guides---but I still most of his antique books. As long as people are cutting old books up to "upcycle" into wall shelves I will hold on to them.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.