Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

The Season of Spiced Lattes and Fall Colors



September is firmly in place with all the changes it brings. Children are settled into their new classes by now and when a sunny, warm day comes along we treasure it because we know we won’t get many more before we’ll be able to see our breath on our morning walks. It also won’t be long until Starbucks brings back their pumpkin spiced lattes and kids (and their parents alike) will be thinking about Halloween costumes. In my day---don’t you just love saying that---“In my day”? I do. It makes me feel silly, like I’m lapping up one of the few perks that comes with getting old; I’m schooling the ‘youngins’ about the good old days when we had to walk up hill to and from school and when if we missed an episode of our favorite TV show it was gone forever. Wait! We didn't even have a TV until I was well into high school.

Anyway, in my day adults didn’t dress up for Halloween. In fact, it was a two edged rite of passage when our moms told us we were getting too big to dress up for Halloween. On one hand we didn’t want to leave the free candy gathering ritual behind but on the other hand, we were being told Halloween was for little kids and our moms had moved us out of that category and into the boy-girl, spin-the-bottle parties era of our lives in place of going trick-or-treating. Today, dressing up is almost as much of an adult activity as it is for little kids. How did that happen? I really want to know. The last few years where I used to live I’d get my fair share of parents in costumes holding out their plastic pumpkins at my door. A few said they were trick-or-treating for a sick kid at home or for the baby in their strollers. I always had some boxes of animal crackers on hand for those stroller moms and I watched their faces to see if those stroller moms were disappointed that they didn’t get my Reese’s peanut butter cups. Old people know how to have fun, too. 

Some people love fall, but I’m not a fan. It’s always represented a lot of work getting ready for winter. But I've been down this Memory Lane before here in my blog so I'll just use the code words: Raking leaves, storm windows and getting snow removal equipment ready. I love trees but for a split second every fall I understand why two people I know cut down every darn tree in their yards. I hate it when people do that. We need the oxygen and shade they produce.

Now days I’m guessing you’d be hard pressed to find a teenager who’d rake and burn leaves after school for weeks on end or stuff a ton of large bags with leaves each seasons. We had a yard full of oak trees at the cottage and in town. And if you know oak leaves, you know they don't fall all at once like other species do. Raking Leaves is one of those jobs like giving yourself manicures and pedicures that are now full-fledged business’s for adults. It’s become another one of those ‘in my day-isms’ I like to throw around.

Another reason I’m not fond of fall is I’m probably the only person I know in seven counties who hates the fall color palette---orange in particular agitate me physically. But we’ve had this conversation before, too, so I’ll add some new content on the subject by sharing that I recently learned about the psychology of the color orange. In our western societies it’s considered a high energy color, the color of fire, and is often used in advertising and high school colors to get people excited. But in Southeast Asia monks wear orange robes---the color of saffron---to symbolize letting go of materialism and people in those parts of the world find color orange peaceful which demonstrates there is a cultural element to how we react the color. 

However, research has also proven that the longer wavelengths of orange and red are connected with higher levels of arousal which begs the question: Why Red Light districts and not Orange Light districts if the human body is sexually aroused by both colors?  I'll tell you why. Because back in the 1600s prostitutes in Holland, who met the ships coming into harbor full of sailors, would carry red lanterns because the red glow they cast camouflaged their pimples and boils and signs of venereal diseases. So the red lanterns became associated with sex workers that far back. And the custom spread out world wide from there.

The color orange has an interesting history if you enjoy that sort of thing. And I do but at the risk of boring readers I won’t overshare. Okay, you twisted my arm. Just one more fun fact. The color orange was around for several centuries before it had a name. It was just called yellow-red until the word for the color was first recorded in 1502. But it wasn’t until the seventeenth century that the word was familiar enough that people started using “orange” as an adjective to denote the color of an object. When I'm struggling to tell my nieces what I had for breakfast that morning I hope they'll remember I have obscure facts in my head, if only they'd ask the right questions to get them out. ©

 Until Next Wednesday….

* Painting at the top was done by artist Erin Hanson.


41 comments:

  1. I love fall! The cooler weather is always welcome and I think the leaves are lovely. Just curious, do you avoid using orange when you paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't use a fall palette unless I have no choice like in a class I'm taking next week.

      Delete
  2. Imagine my disappointment when taken on my first tour of a red light district in the Netherlands only to find the ladies were using purple lights - not red - to advertise their availability! In other Dutch facts - the last name of the royal family is Orange, which is why the whole country decorates everything orange during events such as the World Cup. You wouldn't want to be there then, Jean!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple!? When did that happen? Maybe they didn't like being their birthplace of the red light district. I knew about the Royal family Orange. That is one place I can safely say is not on my bucket list.

      Delete
  3. I like fall but am not a fan of spiced lattes. I sometimes fear saying that, knowing I'm going to be dubbed a troublemaker. I didn't know about the history of the color orange. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some of their fall drinks but the spiced lattes are not one of my favorites. Lots of colors have interesting histories.

      Delete
  4. What did they call oranges before "orange" was invented? And interesting in the Netherlands that orange is a big deal color -- the color you always see on Queen's Day (or I guess now, probably King's Day). Remember William of Orange? Later than the 1500s, of course. I get funky in fall. I love the color and the crispness but all I can think of is what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They called it "yellow-red." Some of the scenes of fall colors are beautiful but I could not living with a painting or photograph of a fall scene on my wall.

      Delete
  5. interesting to learn tidbits from you about color orange. My favorite color is peach, just wanted to mention that.BTW thanks to your blog I did my first paint by number painting & loved how it came out, & I am thinking of signing as Asha Chandra V2.0 lol.

    Thanks,
    Asha Chandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sign my paint-by-numbers on the back with "Paint-by-number done by Jean _____ 2023." I hope you enjoyed doing yours as much as I enjoy doing them. I don't mind the color peach. I never wear it but I would use soft peach and soft blue in a beach decor or scene.

      Delete
  6. I don't know how you come up with such great topics! I'm not a fan of orange either but my Mom (an avid painter) loved fall scenes. For her 50th wedding anniversary my oldest brother's wife made a quilt with photos of all six children and lots of orange fall pieces. It was handed down to me but it's in a box as my room is yellow, blue and white. Can't figure how to fit it in at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a tough one, I'm big on having sentimental attachments to family pieces like that quilt but you've got to like the aesthetics of something to display it. Maybe someday someone in your family will find is cool..

      I don't know what I'm going to write about for next week but Saturday I'll be sitting in my den until something comes to me.

      Delete
    2. I use to love the fall and fall colors as a child and through most of my life. My parents always took me on a fall trip to Gatlinburg Tn before it became such a tourist trap. My now deceased husband and I took many a trip to New England in the Fall and loved it. We were in Fla., so it was a real treat in many ways. Then we retired to NC and the fall became the leader into cold, gloomy grey winters. He passed away and I moved back to Fla. And now all that just makes me sad and reminds me of happier times that are long gone. I know it’s weird, but just a point to show how our emotions can change your view on things. Now I’m a Spring lover. Fresh green and full of tropical and flower colors. And Fla stays that way most of the year. Mary

      Delete
    3. Spring is my favorite season for all the reasons you mentioned. I can see how you associate happier times with fall color tours. Our emotional connections to colors are real...both good, bad or sad.

      Delete
  7. A lot of prison clothing is orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except in Texas where they are Barbie pink...or they used to be. They might have a new person in charge now. He put the guys in pink to humiliate them.

      Delete
    2. The pink clothing was just in the Mason county jail, a very small jail in the county just to the north of mine that holds only about three or four prisoners at a time. That was back in 2005. The sheriff got the idea from Joe Arpaio, the sheriff in Arizona who cost taxpayers in Phoenix $273 million dollars over racial profiling.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the clarification. I confused old Joe's state with Texas. I hope he's no longer in law enforcement.

      Delete
  8. I never knew the history behind the color orange. Thank you. When I picked out my new car in 2018 I wanted my favorite color, orange. My friends thought I was crazy but that was my first and only choice. Love all your posts Jean. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange is an unusual color for a car. I'll bet you didn't have trouble finding it in a parking lot. I always wanted a red car but with the exception of on moss green car the rest have been gray.

      Delete
  9. I was four or five when we got our first television. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how "they" knew which programs we would watch that day and get the right diminutive people lined up to perform .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that memory for you. As old as I am I still can't figure out how voices can go over telephone lines and now just through the air.

      Delete
  10. I love fall, even though it is the precursor to the dark cold winter. When I was a single mom, I bought a house on a corner lot with huge oak trees. I loved it in spring and summer, but leaves were endless. And my teen kids had to be coerced (threatened?) to help me rake & bag them. I don't miss that at all. :-) I am also a fan of most things pumpkin (pie, soup, muffins, etc.). But not so much the pumpkin spice drinks.

    I love an orange-ish tomato red, but I can't wear true orange. And I find it too bold to paint a room or do anything 'big' with it. It makes a nice accent color for a few things in my house though. The cultural differences in how people perceive orange fascinating. You do find some interesting topics. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the 70's , my mom had an orange and brown living room which was a thing back then. Those orange-ish tomatos are good!

      You know the nature of oak leaves! They are endless. My niece just sent me a text as she went by the exit near my old house and she said she couldn't believe how twisted the trees were from that tornado a week or two ago.

      Delete
    2. Orange is one of my better colors to wear since I'm an "autumn" with yellow undertones to my skin and brown eyes/hair. A few years ago orange was "the color" in clothing for some reason. It was great for me because nobody else was buying and a lot went on clearance. lol

      Delete
    3. I'm a winter. I still have the clothe samples that Color me Beautiful fad gave out when they 'did your colors'. I do believe there is sound science behind the choices and it sure makes shopping easier.

      Delete
  11. September here is Spring and the days can be either warm to hot or cool to cold often having both in a week, today it is suppose to be 27 degrees today but right now it is only 8 degrees and I am turning the heater on to warm the room up a bit. I remember when my dad bought our first colour tv, we were the talk of the street being the only ones with a colour tv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a better memory than me then. I don't remember our first color TV.

      Delete
  12. Fall is my favorite season, and I like winterbetter than summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, of coarse you know I LOVE Autumn, it's whole color palette, it's Holidays and learning new random facts. *Winks* This Year I just see the frantic race to go straight to Christmas and Winter when Fall barely arrived yet. People are in too much of a hurry these days to properly savor each Season and live in the Moment or be Present in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom used to call it wishing your life away. I was (and still am) bad about planing stuff and not living in the moment is hard for me.

      Delete
  14. I love your history of color -- orange in particular. So cool. I learned something new! As a redhead I was always told the Fall pallet was my best color to wear. I do like it, but don't wear much of it. Brown maybe. LOL I used to decorate my whole home for Fall and when they were young I loved decorating for Halloween with my kids. The last couple of years I got rid of most of that stuff and only have a few favorite things I set out. I've always felt like Fall is a "new beginning" maybe even more so than New Year's. Likely had to do school starting. I still have a lot of energy in the early Fall. But by November, that's gone! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What nice memories you shared. I used to wear a lot of fall colors in the '60s because I had dark brown hair but then I did the Color Me Beautiful thing that was popular back then and switched to a different color palette and I never looked back.

      Delete
    2. Don't know why my comment came as anonymous...it's me, Donna! :)

      Delete
  15. I'm not a fan of orange either unless it's a pack of peanut butter cups! But, did you know that orange is the color of hunger? At the food bank where we help out, volunteers wear orange shirts, so I make an exception. It's also why many fast food chains (at least until recent millennial-driven updates) were outfitted with orange seating, floors & walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about the food banks and the color orange. But the psychology of color in commercial use is well known but now that you mention it, that is changing, isn't it. Not so many buying into it.

      Delete
  16. I noticed the reference to the House of Orange up above. There's an Orange, Texas that was settled by the Dutch, and another town called Nederland -- a slightly modified "Netherlands." I'm divided on orange. I don't like what I call "commercial orange" at all: the monochromatic color of plastic pumpkins and other seasonal decorations. But if it's orange with a touch of rust, or red, or if it's a pastel derivative, I like it a lot.

    As for that pumpkin spice drink, I'll pass. For one thing, I don't favor Starbucks coffee, and all that sugar and fat isn't to my taste any more. But I do love my pumpkin: roasted, baked and stuffed, or put into breads, cakes, bars, or pie. Give me a good cuppa and some pumpkin bread, and I'm a happy camper. One of the best things about fall is being willing to turn on the oven again and whomp up some goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about Orange Texas but I'm not surprised. We have towns all over the states named after places the settlers came from.

      I miss Starbucks. We don't have a convenient one around here for drive up.

      Delete
  17. That really surprises me. I thought Starbucks was everywhere. In fact, there are five within a couple of miles from my house: three that have drive-throughs and two that are in grocery stores. Maybe all the NASA employees and techies keep them all in business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a stand-alone Starbucks near-by BUT it's on the busiest intersection in Michigan and very scary to get into and out of from the direction I live. So I don't go there. And inside the grocery stores I go they have Starbucks but going to those isn't the same experience at going to the stand-alones. Going to the one near my old house was as much about the experience as the coffee drinks. You could sit and write for an hour and see all kinds of people coming and going. It was a warm and friendly place. The supermarket places don't cut it for me.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.