Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

My Brother

My brother passed away last weekend after a few stressful weeks following a fall he took. When they were ready to discharge him from the hospital, his doctor recommended Hospice only to have Hospice turn the him down after they did their evaluation. Apparently, with no underlying health issues like cancer or heart failure with a six months or less prognosis their bar is set high for dementia patients who could go on for years. At that point in time he was moved from the hospital to Skilled Nursing at our sister campus and was working on getting stronger so he could return to the Memory Care building next door to me. He seemed to be making progress when he started running a high fever and a temperature they couldn't bring down. So back to the hospital he went and he died in his sleep soon after. He didn’t even last a week after Hospice looked over his medical records.

It's been a long goodbye for my brother and his wonderful kids and they couldn't have done a better job of keeping him safe and well cared for these past few years---nearly a half decade if my memory serves me right. At first they supported him in his own home, eventually bringing in more and more paid caregivers as his dementia worsen. Anyone who has been there, done that knows that home care comes with its own set of issues and stresses and his kids were burning out. A little over a year ago they placed him in the complex where I live.

Those of us who has ever had to place an aging parent in assisted living knows the mixed feelings you go through. It's a special kind of hopelessness that settles in as you watch their world get smaller and smaller and pieces of your parent's personality peel away, but then the euphoria comes when your loved one is having a good day which in turn gives you a good day. It's like you're on a yo-yo string, up and down, up and down with each visit. But all that is past tense now and the hardest memories of recent years will fall by the way side and be replaced by memories of better times. For some it takes longer than for others but making peace with the past is something my brother’s family has had a lot of practice doing. It’s a work in progress for anyone, isn’t it, a journey we make alone with a little help from our friends.

When someone dies the first place we tend to go is to the selfish side, counting the ways our own lives are effected. For me, I’m now the oldest person in our immediate family and possibly the oldest of all my cousins. I’ve lost track of my oldest cousin from the other side of the state. She was a year or two older than my brother. I hated it when she came for extended visits which happened every summer for a week when we were kids. She came with a steamer trunk like people took with them on ocean-liners like the Titanic. She’d lay on my bunk bed reading movie star and Glamour magazines, and she changed the color of her fingernail polish daily and wouldn't leave the room without refreshing her lipstick that matched her nails. Our cottage was on the primitive side back in those days. We took baths in the lake and had an outhouse and I’m guessing that she didn’t like being there anymore than I liked having her. My mom was always after my brother and me to include her in the endless activities we lake front kids could find to do in the country. 

One time my brother came up with a plan to make my cousin an honorary chief in our band of Indians. We placed seven newspapers down in a circle on the sand to sit on. When Jerry brought her down to the circle the rest of us were already in our places and when she took the one place left she sunk down into the water-filled hole we’d dug and covered up with the newspaper. She---I grudgingly acknowledge now---was embarrassed and wanted to go home. We didn’t have phones back in those days and her parents had dropped her and her brother off on their way to a vacation without them. She had no choice but to stay but the rest of the week she stayed in the bedroom. My mom even served her meals in there. If it had been me or Jerry refusing to come out Mom would have let us starve to death.

But my cousin must have forgiven my brother for orchestrating the prank because when Jerry hosted a family reunion at his house in the early ‘80s My cousin and her then husband flew their little two-seater airplane over to join all the other cousins. She was still flamboyant with her long cigarette holder and flirting shamelessly with anyone with a pair of balls in their pants, still my nemesis and I still hated every red hair on her head. Ya, I’m that stubborn person who rarely changes my first impressions of the people I meet. I’m not proud of that, but I am honest about my shortcomings. She, however, flew over to visit Jerry a couple of times that same summer so she was the better person who could forgive and forget. My brother had a quick wit that got him out of trouble as often as it got into trouble as a kid, and as an adult he was fun to be around when he was in party mode.

Most of my memories of my brother (like the one above) are tied to our growing up years. Memories of summers filled with playing at the cottage, building forts, swimming, exploring in the woods and walking the country side. Of going to small towns on the weekends for carnivals or movies. Back in the city, during the school year, my memories of my brother are centered around ice skating, roller skating, sledding and going to after school music lessons together. Then in our teen years I turned into the kid sister who was crushing on my brother’s friends much to his annoyance, and of working together on our chores until we got to an age where we fought like cats and dogs and my mom separated us. 

Still, one of my favorite memories of my brother is of the two of us singing while doing dishes. In recent years when he was moved into the Memory Care building next door we got to sing together again at three or four music events last summer. Funny how those old words were still “up there” for the taking but remembering what my brother had for breakfast was a task he couldn’t do. 

My brother left this earth on the receiving end of love and compassion and his passing was peaceful. For that, I'm grateful.  

Until Next Wednesday. ©

He never lost his fondness for black cats.

Part of our summer Indian tribe.

 

Jerry's high school graduation. 


2022??


In between Jerry and the steps behind him used to be all sand 
and it's where the infamous initiation of my cousin into our Indian tribe took place. 
 
 

37 comments:

  1. Sad for you but what wonderful memories you have, just reading this I got the feeling he was an amazing brother to have,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to you. You are definitely in a different era being the oldest in the family. I'm glad he got to move into your complex and you got have little visits which I'm sure brightened his. Keep those great memories (and I'm glad you are writing them down ... copy a few for his kids?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had been wondering how he was doing and if he would be back to the memory unit. At least he's in peace, and I'm glad you had a good relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences, Jean. Even when you know it's coming, it's tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear of your brother's passing, and I'm sorry for your loss, Jean. It was a blessing that you were near each other over the past year, even though he was in decline. I'm sure his kids were glad about that, too. You will be a comfort to one another. Thanks for the photos. I just love the first one. Adorable. I have one brother left in my family and I'm the oldest person left from my mother's side. It's a strange feeling. Life certainly has gone by quickly! Take care of yourself, Jean, and may you remember many sweet times gone by.



    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad had Alzheimer's. It's a horrible disease. Mom and dad lived in FL and I live in CT so I was never his caregiver and I only got to see him for a week once a year. I'm so very sorry for your loss. You have your wonderful memories and photos and he will always be with you. Huge hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very sorry…you were fortunate to have a brother so close literally and figuratively..Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so sorry for your loss but also glad you have such good memories of him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly, falls in the elderly do cause death. The same thing happened to my dementia-riddled mom and I was sure she'd be able to beat the odds, but the fall did her in. My sincere condolences for the loss of your brother. This blog was a lovely tribute to him, I enjoyed reading about your fun-filled summers. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your beautifully written, loving tribute to your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your brother. I hope sharing your happy memories with friends and family will bring you comfort. After my Dad died, it really helped to hear all of the old stories of when he didn't have Alzheimer's and helped us celebrate the terrific man he was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry for the loss of your brother. Our siblings carry so many of our memories. I'm glad you have so many good ones. I had to laugh at the high-jinx with your cousin. We had city cousins visit every summer, and I do remember a prank I played on one of them. Classic cousin stuff.

    Take care of yourself. Losing a sibling is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry about the loss of your brother. It sounds like he was quite the guy. Wishing your family peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My condolences Jean, I thought this was a lovely tribute to your Dear Brother. The description of your Cousin was priceless, I had a vivid mental imagery of her. Dementia is indeed a very difficult Disease because of the Long Good-Bye and lack of adequate placements. It is true that physical deterioration is hard, but different, and more resources will take in a physically declining person than a mentally declining one. You do celebrate the good days, The Man's TBI was very much similar to Mom's advanced Dementia, both of which made assisting them in that Journey very hard on everyone and often seemingly beyond our capabilities. Your Brother having a good transitional placement probably gave the Family more Peace even tho' it IS hard to place someone involuntarily, isn't it? The voluntary placement of ourselves, if it is possible, is always preferable. Him being in the same Community you are in was a good thing, even if a hard thing for you at times, having him close by did mean you could enjoy at least some quality time together within reason. That's how I feel about The Man being able to remain in our Home, but it is scary to consider the future, given how I know it is likely to play out. Big Hugs as you move thru the Grieving Process, may the good Memories sustain you my Friend. As for being The Last, my Dad was the last/oldest living in his large Family at age 74 when he passed, my Uncle in Wales was the last/oldest in Mom's Family at age 90 when he passed. My Brother has a risky but necessary major surgery on the 28th, I'm nervous about it. I'm Older so always feel I should Go first, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please accept my sympathies for the loss of your brother, Jean. How wonderful for him that he was well loved and well cared for. Now he will also be well remembered.

    I enjoyed looking at these photos, especially, as you recalled your memories of your brother and your past adventures with him. I have a big brother, too, and while not all my memories are good ones, I can relate to being the Kid Sister like you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so very sorry for your loss, Jean. What a wonderful post about him, and some aspects of your lives together.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry about your brother. I only have one surviving one and he is having some health issues, in spite of his youth. (52) I loved reading your memories of your dear Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry for this huge loss. Your stories and memories of him were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Jean, I'm so very sorry. Even when or if we are prepared, it doesn't compensate for the loss of someone so close and so dear. I loved reading the memories and seeing the photos. You had some wonderful times and I'm glad you were able to spend some of his final months nearby. I'm sure that was a huge comfort for him and will be something that you will always cherish. I send all good wishes for peace and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you all for your heart-felt messages of sympathy and condolences. They mean a lot to me. I got to help my nieces clean out my brother's room and that was a healing step. They aren't having a memorial service until the end of April so there's that to get through. I've never been one to avoid funerals like some people. No matter how much you think you know someone you always learn something about a side of him or her you didn't know. It's a time to laugh and cry and share memories so it will be an emotional day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, no matter how well you think you know someone, there are always surprises when people share their remembrances at a funeral/memorial. I have had to truly adjust my thoughts about some people at their wakes, hearing all the really great things some people did, that I had no idea about. Made me wish I had known them better, and maybe been kinder to them. Being the last of your generation in a family is an uncomfortable feeling for some people. I remember when my dad died, and I had the realization that I was an orphan. Of course I was 51 years old, but it still stung. I hope the memorial goes well, and many wonderful memories are brought out and shared. Laughter helps us deal with the grief.

      Delete
  21. What a loving tribute to your brother, Jean. I so enjoyed the photos, and the wonderful story of that special prank played on your cousin. You're right that the difficulties and frustrations will fade away and be replaced by memories of the good times you shared, and the good qualities your brother demonstrated. I'm so glad you were there to lighten his last months; I'm sure it made more of a difference to him than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jean, I am so sorry. You’ll think of him every day for the rest of your life. And those thoughts will be accompanied by the satisfaction of having been there for him in so many ways. From the joyful days of your youth to the quiet companionship you gave him these past few years. Take comfort in those things. You did well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My condolences on your loss. I like your happy memories of your brother as a child. I'm glad you were able to be there for him near the end, even if he didn't realize it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so sorry for your loss, he sounds like a wonderful brother and at lease he died in his sleep which I think is the best way to go

    ReplyDelete
  25. My condolences on the loss of your brother. As we age, we all accumulate losses, but siblings seem to me to be in a class of their own. The only people who have really known you all of your life. I laughed at the photo of the four of you at the beach - we have a similar photo of us around that age, not so much as Indians, but more like Explorers. Great memories. I am sure your being nearby was a comfort, hopefully for both of you.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so sorry for your loss, Jean. Loved your stories. He sounds like a loveable rascal and I see him in you, in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Condolences on the loss of your bother. The above tribute was lovely and touching. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so sorry for your loss! He seems like he was a great brother!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jean R. - I am sorry for your loss. You've provided a wonderful profile of your brother in this post. I'm glad you were able to spend time together in recent years.

    Libby (from Oz)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jean R. - I am sorry for your loss. You've provided a wonderful profile of your brother in this post. I'm glad that you were able to spend time together in recent years.

    Libby, from Oz
    (apologies if this comment comes through twice - doing it on two different browsers to make sure it gets through to you)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I send my condolences on the loss of your brother. He surely was glad that you were nearby and visited often. I'm the oldest in my small family, and your tribute to your brother has me looking back on our sibling relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  32. TO EVERYONE COMMENTING IN THIS THREAD: I apologize for not replying individually to all your kind words. The blog community has meant a lot to me for many years because I tell you guys things I don't tell people in my real time life so I feel you understand me better. In this thread you've all made me feel surrounded by compassion and understanding and that means a lot to me. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm sorry for your loss, Jean. Both of my brothers died relatively young and as the "girl in the middle" I feel their loss acutely at times, knowing we didn't have the opportunity to grow older together. I loved hearing your memories and seeing your photos. Peace to you...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wish he could have been spared the dementia and the fall, but all things considered it sounds like he experienced a peaceful death and it's what we want for anyone we care about. This was a lovely tribute and I'll be thinking of you and this transition with tenderness in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so sorry for your loss Jean, you shared beautiful memories of your brother.Its so hard to loose your loved ones, I am so glad you were close to him in his last phase at CCC.

    Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Asha. I really miss the frequent text messages and phone calls that went around my family that were generated by our visits to my brother as well.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.