Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Rise and Shine Morning Thoughts and Memories


My upstairs neighbor woke me up at 7:00. For such a little thing I can’t understand how she can sound like an elephant stomping around up there. I wish I could be in two places at once. If I could I’d ask her if I could follow here around to see what she is doing to make so much noise. She did tell me she pushes furniture around with her walker---she's a cleaning fanatic, does it every day to my once a month. Others in our complex complain about the same noise issue so it’s not just me in case you're thinking I have super sensitive hearing aids. They built these buildings with great sound barriers on the side walls but nothing in between floors. 

Someone asked me if I was sorry I didn’t pick a top floor apartment because they don’t hear anything. “No,” I told her, “I wouldn’t like having to take the elevator all the time and if we ever have a fire or a tornado to run from, you’ll be wishing you had a downstairs apartment.” Another woman living on the third floor thinks I’m going to get murdered in my sleep by a stranger passing by my ground floor unit. She's such a scaredy-cat I can’t help laughing at her. I’m not being naive, I look at the crime rate map from time to time and know it's very low in this area. She’s in far more danger going to the mall to walk like she does every day. I wouldn't tell her that. She thinks she's safer there and if I ever sent her a link to the crime rate map she'd never go anywhere. A new member of our Creative Writing Group called his 3rd floor apartment a penthouse apartment and I had a hard time not laughing out loud at the pretentiousness of that.

Back to the topic at hand: I laid in bed another half hour this morning wishing I could fall back to sleep but finally my bladder made me get up. I wasn’t sure what day of the week it was but I have one of those old people clocks in my bathroom that told me it was Friday, March first and confirmed the fact that it was too damn early for a night owl to be rising and shining. My mom used to wake me up by calling out, “Rise and shine! It’s daylight in the swamps!” I tried it once or twice on my husband but he was such a sound sleeper it took over a half hour of badgering and occasionally waterboarding him to get him out of bed. Before we lived together my brother, who was an electrician, made him an alarm clock out of a factory bell---the kind they ring at break time and when the shifts change. It hung over his bed and the neighbors across the street could hear it go off. They’d often come over and bang on his bedroom window to get him to wake up and turn off his super-doper alarm clock.

Since I’m looking for blog fodder today, I googled the “Rise and shine. It’s daylight in the swamps” phrase to see where it came from. On the American Heritage Magazine website I learned the last part---it’s daylight in the swamps---dates back to the colonial times. It’s the first thing generations of lumberjacks in the logging camps heard every morning: “Daylight in the swamp---all out!”

The rise and shine part of the phrase comes from biblical times and the 1611 King James version of the Bible made it popular in Isaiah 60:1 “Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee.” By the seventeenth century other Christian texts rephrased it to: “ “Christians (shall) rise and shine so the glory of God shall be upon them.” I also learned that I’m not the only person who is on the cutting edge of the Baby Boomers who has memories of being woke up with calls of, “Rise and shine. It’s daylight in the swamps.” Apparently some old time radio show used the phrase when it came on the air and our parents picked up on it. And men who spent time in the Marines way back before my time on earth also heard it in the mornings when they served. I often wonder how many phrases that are coined in our times will still be around several centuries from now. I’m guessing not many because with the swift moving social media the way it is today, nothing new lasts long enough for it to become a cherish memory like so many of the phrases we older people remember from our youth.

The month of March in a place like where I live---a non-profit, faith based continuum care complex---is on the boring side for those of use who are not religious because most of the lectures and activities are geared with an eye toward Easter. The Chosen movie series is once again on the agenda plus the Friday Stations of the Cross series is scheduled but not much else besides a St. Patrick’s day dinner, a Show Your Irish dress up day will probably pop up and I found special St. Patrick's Day Mahjong Cards online that we’re going to use one day to add a little spice to the game.

Co-teaching mahjong with someone with Lewy Body Dementia has been---challenging but worth it. She’s got 32 years of playing the game behind her plus she taught all our current players, but she forgets now and then. For example, she came over to my table during the last class to ask me what a one bam tile looks like and when I showed her one on the table she wanted to argue about it. I then showed her a picture of a one bam in a book that was labeled and she backed down but it was tense for a minute or two. 

The classes were my idea. I designed the class curriculum, wrote check-off teaching guides and the hand-outs for all three classes and had her proof-read it all. I also coordinated everything with our Life Enrichment Director. I did a thorough job so anything she might have missed teaching her half of the class they would get by reading the hand-outs and watching the online videos assigned for homework. We all know each other’s back stories and she’s open about her dementia and she’s tells others that I am her star pupil, the heir apparent leader for our group, so to speak. Still, I try not to overstep my place as Luke Skywalker to her Obi-wan Kenobi ...and it's hard. She thanks me often for doing all this to grow our group so I think I'm walking that fine line okay.

Until Next Wednesday. ©

* My beautiful, new mahjong set with an aluminum case. One of the racks is Barbie pink and is so bright that I might have to wear sunglasses. I'm still going to look for a butterscotch aka Bakelite antique set just because I'm not dead yet and antique picking is in my blood.

 

36 comments:

  1. That’s too bad about your upstairs neighbor! I’m glad you are co-teaching mahjong. You are doing a real service, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahjong is experiencing a resurgence in popularity again. There's even entire cruise ships booked with mahjong players. I used to be a fan of Monopoly but it was hard to find anyone to play with me. Mahjong is much more popular and and there Meet Up all over the place to find tables where you can play.

      Delete
  2. Your new maj jong set is beautiful! I'd heard "rise and shine" (though never awakened with it) but the swamp line was new to me. I remember living in the middle apartment and was always bothered more by noise from above than below. (I'm sure I bothered below, in retrospect.) But I'm with you on the elevator. It's one thing if you can handle the stairs easily in an emergency, another if you have the walker or other mobility challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are people here who use the stairs all the time but anyone of us can have our lives turn on a dime with a health issue. And that elevator isn't going to help in a fire, electrical outage or tornado. One lady has already been trapped in one for an hour and a half.

      Delete
  3. So thankful for your blog. We are in a busy, stressful time right now, and it is great to get a peek of your interesting life...the things you are doing, especially with the Mah jong classes. As a former educator, I love the way you are providing handouts and videos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you1 I wanted to make it easier for others to learn from when I did. If you can image five of us trying to learn a complicated game as we played with only one teacher. We had several drop outs and others dropping in before most of us got up to speed. I've never thought of myself as teacher material but looking back I did teach sewing in 4H, floral design in adult education classes, and stroke survivors how to do things in person and online. The latter group giving me a lot of experience writing out clear, step-by-step accomplishing their goals.

      Delete
  4. This post reminded me of how I used to sing the rise and shine song to get my daughters up in the morning "Rise and shine and give God the glory glory, rise and shine and give God the glory glory, rise and shine and give God the glory children of the Lord". Have you heard that song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard the song but I did see it referenced when I was researching for this blog. Does your daughter sing it to her kids? That would be so cool if she did.

      Delete
  5. I still wake up at the time I used to have to get up when I was working. Can't seem to sleep in even tho it sounds like it would be so nice.
    Glad you have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of your new hobby, mahjong. I have never played it and wouldn't know where to start.
    Enjoy March and look for flowers when you are out and about. That always lifts my spirits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like spring here already. The tulips are up and someone said a bird was building a nest on their deck and the swans on our lake are laying eggs. It wouldn't be March without another snow storm though.

      Delete
  6. I'm visualizing your little upstairs neighbor, with her walker, pushing around furniture and cleaning. Now that's really amazing. Kind of wonderful, unless you're the person who lives below her. My mother was that type of person. We kept telling her the "cleanliness is NOT next to Godliness" but she didn't believe that for one minute.

    It is inspiring to read about what you and the other teacher have done to help others learn about Mahjong, but what truly touches my heart is the fact that you have worked hard to try to compensate for the challenges presented by such a difficult disease. You have come up with ideas to teach the class while the co-teacher can continue to be involved and retain some of her dignity. I admire what you're doing.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reasons for teaching are purely selfish. I don't want the game to die out here because people in a place like this die out or loss their ability to play. I figure if we start a custom of teaching classes every spring it won't.

      I go back and forth in head between extreme annoyance of my upstairs neighbor to wanting to be like her when I grow up. She's ten years older than me but physically she can do circles around me. And I'm not kidding about her vacuuming every day, even under the furniture. She has a dust allergy and no rugs because of it.

      Delete
  7. I remember apartment living when Rick and I were newly married. A single mother lived above us with her 8-year old son. I swear it sounded as if he were rollerblading through the kitchen. Other than that, they were pretty quiet, so we never said a word. Thinking about it now, he was extremely quiet for a young boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tease my neighbor all the time but I am quick to point out it's not her, it's the way the buildings were built. After so-called saving her live by knowing what sounds are what coming from above she's very grateful that I'm noisy about what she's doing up there.

      Delete
  8. Your upstairs neighbour issue is reminding me of my days living beneath the Stompy McStompersons *shudder*. I'm sure my blood pressure went down 10 points when they moved out and much quieter, more considerate neighbours moved in. I wonder if your neighbour might also be a bit deaf, and unaware of the noise she's making?

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does wear hearing aids as i do. I take mine out if I'm not watching TV to cut down on the the scraping noise she makes.

      Delete
  9. Like you, I prefer a place on the ground floor because I avoid elevators whenever possible. Been stuck in one before and even though it was not for long, it panicked me. Your alarm story reminded me of my friend's husband who used an electric razor on a metal TV tray as his alarm because he couldn't wake up to a normal alarm clock. You could hear that razor traveling over that metal tray in the morning two floors down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, If only I'd known that way back when. I wonder how they discovered that little trick. LOL

      Delete
  10. Oh wow. That noise issue is one of my main reasons for being hesitant to live in a condo or apartment. I'm very sensitive to sound and I think it would drive me crazy! My husband puts earplugs in every night and sleeps through everything -- including his alarm blaring on mornings when he has to get up early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to sleep with earplug because of my husband but it's not ideal. Your ear canals get itchy and I worry about hearing things we should hear.

      Delete
  11. My grandfather was in WWI and did day work logging in the Depression, and he used to shout "Daylight in the Swamp" in the morning. My mom picked it up and we heard it randomly, so I say to my husband sometimes, too. :-)

    I'm amazed that someone with a walker moves furniture and cleans daily. Yikes. I'm pretty lazy comparatively. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that tradition being handed down in your family. I'll have to ask my nieces if my brother ever asked woke them up that way

      My upstairs neighbor is stubborn according to her daughters and won't wait for them to help.

      Delete
  12. I don't think I would like people living above me nor would I like to live in anything other then a ground floor hime which I do live in, I alway havej had a thing about getting stuck in a lift and when I was younger and my legs worked better I would always take the stairs over the lift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too about always having a thing about elevators. I refused to get on one in Chicago and my husband and another couple/friends got stuck on it for over an hour. I listen to my inner voice when it tells me not to get on and take the stairs.

      Delete
  13. May the Laws of Attraction now activate and bring you your Bakelite Mahjong Set. I personally never liked having an Apartment above me due to noise issues. I have Vertigo and could deal with the terror of the Stairs and Balcony easier than dealing with the noise of someone upstairs being noisy and a distraction to my tranquility. I don't like my Calm to be disrupted, plus, I do like a View and you really do get one from an upper vantage point. Sadly, with the Villa, I realized my Stair climbing best days were behind me and it took probably the first 1.5 Years to be able to go up and down the Stairs at that Home without being winded, no elevator, and, swore, no more Two or more Story living for me. The Man just can't really do Stairs at all, so his limitations were primary to what we chose for a Forever Home. So many things to consider as we Age, sometimes we even get it Right... but, there are some things more difficult to predict. I'm glad your Classes are going so well and your Teacher/Student is receptive to being aided, tough for her I'd imagine, since, she has awareness of her own decline. The Man really doesn't have the awareness of his and I think it could be less torment when they're oblivious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have monthly support meetings here for people with dementia and their families. I've been to a couple because of my brother and they encourage open conversations about your diagnosis. So much better than having people talking behind ones back and acceptance seems to come faster to those who don't want to believe it.

      Delete
  14. One of my kids came home from nursery school with the "rise and shine and give God the glory, glory" song and I used to sing that to my kids. I will have to see if any of my grandkids have heard it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amazing me that something like this saying is still around in our life time all these centuries.

      Delete
  15. Somehow, our buildings were constructed with concrete between floors as well as at the base, and the only sound I ever hear is my upstairs neighbor practicing on her honest-to-goodness grand piano. She plays for a church, so there's a good bit of practicing around Easter and Christmas, but it got to be annoying until we talked about it. Now, unless she has a performance coming up, she uses an electric keyboard most of the time and I never hear that. Otherwise, I never hear a whisper of a sound.

    My dad always came in with "Morning, Sunshine!" or "Rise and shine!" I've never heard the swamps added to the exhortation; that was really interesting, especially its connection to logging camps. While I was poking around, I found another term from that era. 'Skid row' actually began as 'skid road' and it referred to loggers, not disreputable sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think my neighbor does things just to annoy me. LoL

      I love the 'Skid row' tidbit of information. Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
  16. Rise and Shine makes me cringe. My new mom came to live with us after my moms death. My mom gently rocked our shoulders and would wake us by saying time to get up. But this new mom came. She would say Rise & Shine in a sing songy voice that irrated the crap out of me. We all laugh about it now. One morning I got up, probably about a year into this new mom. I said, "Could you please not sing rise and shine. It makes me want to hurt you." My sister burst out laughing. She too was annoyed by this. I was a bratty 14 yr old who said this. I now cringe that I did that to her. She kindly asked my sister Pam if it bothered her. She shook her head yes. She never did it again. But it is a story in our family that makes us all laugh. She was just learning that this 14 yr old didn't like to talk or be spoke to early in the morning. . I was learning how to navigate a new parent. My father did take me aside in the afternoon to make me apologize to her and the way I said it. I said I would as long as she stops doing that! My father chuckled and said, "I think she knows that now"
    Funny memory - thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. “Rise and shine. It’s daylight in the swamps.” It sounds like a saying my dad would have said. And if I'd have dared to complain he'd have said: "Tell it to the Marines!" All those old-time sayings, I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have heard the phrase"we are wasting daylight", when a pause come in a work or play idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.