Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Code Talkers and the Trump Fan


I got to the senior hall early on Thursday because I wasn’t born yesterday and if you want a prime parking space that’s what you have to do. Heck, if you want a parking space---period---in the winter when snow piles are everywhere you need to get there a half hour early or you’ll be hiking in from the street. I guessed from the lecture topic we’d be hearing about that all 160 seats would be filled and I wasn’t wrong. A lot of people wanted to hear about the Code Talkers, the Navajo Indians who were mostly 15/16 year old kids living on Reservations or at Mission Schools when they were recruited to join the Marines during WWII. Yup, the same Mission schools where Indian kids would get their mouths washed out with soap for speaking Navajo were recruited to use that same language in the Pacific Theater.

The Code Talkers started out with just twenty-nine guys. At the time, there was no written Navajo language and it had no alphabet and only a scant handful of people world-wide spoke the language who weren’t Navajo. The teens were tested against coding machines passing communications back and forth and the Native Americans could do in minutes what it took the military equipment two hours to cipher. Over the next 30 days they developed 450 new words for military equipment and terms which they had to memorize plus they had learn to use Morse code and how to use wire and radio transmission equipment. The program proved its value quickly and more Navajos were enticed to enlist.

Encyclopedia.com says, “Over 540 Navajo served in the Marines during World War II, nearly 300 served in the field as code and communications experts. Navajo code talkers operated in all six Marine divisions, and served in every major Pacific battle between 1942 and 1945. At the battle of Iwo Jima, a small unit of six Navajo code talkers, under the command of 5th Marine Division signal officer, Major Howard Connor, transmitted and received nearly 1,000 messages in 48 hours.”

I already knew that each Code Talker had two Marines assigned to them to protect them from harm and who were supposed to kill them if the Code Talker had been captured. That was to protect the code from being tortured out of one of them. But I didn’t know they also had to protect them from being shot by other Americans who occasionally mistook the Navajos for Japanese individuals who they assumed were wearing a stolen uniform.

Our speaker became interested in the Code Talkers because her daughter lives on a Navajo reservation in Arizona and she had a patient who was one of the original twenty-nine. The last of the Code Talkers died this year and our speaker did a slide show of many of these guys, telling us what became of them after the war. Many of them suffered from what we call PTSD today, made all the worse because they were forbidden to talk about what they did in the war. The Code Talker program wasn’t declassified for 23 years because the military thought they might use it again. Most of the Code Talkers also didn’t get any military veteran’s benefits because they weren’t considered American citizens of the U.S.A. since they lived on Reservation land.

Reagan, Clinton and G.W. Bush all found ways to honor the Code Talkers and Obama left his legacy, too, by signing bills into law that help Native Americans. Then came Trump who, at a ceremony in the White House where three Code Talkers were being honored he joked about “Pocahontas.” That was bad enough but worse was he held the entire ceremony in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson, the president who signed the Indian Removal Act, leading to tens of thousands of Native Americans being forced to relocate, many dying along the Trail of Tears. Was Trump sending a veiled, racist message or is he just that tone-deaf or uneducated that he nor anyone on his staff understood the poor optics he was sending out into the world? Was there was nowhere else in the White House or even in the same room where all the news coverage didn’t have to include Jackson in the photo-opts?

According to our speaker the people on the reservation where her daughter lives were upset about the Jackson portrait and they had no doubt it was a purposeful act of disrespect. (Note how the podium was placed.) When the speaker shared that opinion a person sitting behind me said, “You just had to go there, didn’t you!” I turned around to see who said that and it wasn’t hard to figure out since I always sit in the next to the last row. The woman had a sour look on her face that made me want to laugh at her discomfort. I turned back around quickly so she couldn’t see the smile I was sure was growing on my face. And I don’t want to examine that smile too deeply because I’m pretty sure it’s a character flaw to enjoy another person’s anger. ©

47 comments:

  1. That's upsetting that they did so much and weren't even considered citizens. I'm glad they were finally recognized by some of the presidents before Trump. AS for Trump: :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That got me, too. They were good enough to wear the uniform and get shot but not received the same benefits as other so!diers? Same with the 911 first responders who have to fight for a health care bill to be renewed every five years. Who makes decisions like that?

      Delete
  2. I remember reading about the last Codetalker's death. They were extraordinary, for sure. Did the speaker explore at all whether their oral traditions might have predisposed them toward skill in memorization, pattern recognition, and so on? I've read that societies based on oral tradition have abilities that have been lost in ours today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did. Not only did she say what you said about being predisposed toward memorization because of their culture, but she said their ability to make up 450 new words came from their storytelling abilities. They also weren't allowed to write any of it down even as they were learning the new words they created and no manual was ever written to train the next batches of Code Talkers. It was a fascinating lecture.

      Delete
  3. Sadly I am no longer surprised by the shit head and his racist comments and actions. He did that on purpose. It doesn't even matter if someone else told him not to. He is a brat and will do what he wants. He is a despicable human. The Native American Museum here is wonderful for this kind of information and film. First time we went - too many kids climbing on things and causing havoc. Parents who let them run amok. We went back in winter in the middle of the week and really really enjoyed it. The guides gave us so much information and their time because it was pretty quiet. There was a native dance and we got to speak to them and ask questions. Don't go on a Saturday or in spring, summer or fall.
    But I highly recommend going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a Native American Museum here in Michigan too and I wrote about a field trip I went on where we visited it. I wrote about it here: https://misadventuresofwidowhood.blogspot.com/2014/09/day-trips-and-metaphors-for-widows.html

      I would imagine its about the same tribal history of the Saginaw Chippewa and the Great Lakes Anishinabek Indians that your museum is about. It's an interesting place to visit.

      One thing I learned at the lecture this week is that the Navajo have a ceremony involving pollen that only the women are allowed to take part in and in one of the books I'm reading it mentioned that in African history only the women were allowed to handle seeds in a certain ancient tribe. Isn't that a curious coincidence from two sides of the earth!

      Delete
    2. I think it's pretty amazing actually. But I don't believe in coincidence. Everything happens for a reason. I am going to go read that article because I was not aware of you in 2014. Thx!

      Delete
    3. After I wrote that about it being a curious coincidence, I decided it really isn't because in all cultures through out time, women are the ones who bare children and the parallel between seeds sprouting into plants and women giving birth is a logical jump.

      Delete
  4. Hello from someone who's been following your blogs for years, since the days when you wrote about life with your dog and your husband. Many's the time you made me laugh through tears in those days. I'm joining in the conversation here to say you might enjoy a book called 'The Memory Code', which is about the human brain and traditional memory techniques. It might not have crossed your radar, because it's published here in Australia. It's by Lynne Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I remember you and your dog Penny. It's been a long time. I just added 'The Memory Code' to my wish list at Amazon to check out later on. I can see how it relates to the topic of this blog post. Hope all is well with you and yours these days.

      Delete
  5. I find it hard to believe that DJT is smart enough (or knows enough history) to have done it on purpose but what I do know about the man is that he has a problem with anyone with courage and integrity because he possesses none of those qualities himself. How long before he is tarred and feathered and paraded through the streets as a cautionary tale?!?!?! Asking for several billion friends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might not have been smart enough to know the history but surely others on his staff are, and probably questioned it but the racists on staff---like Miller---with Trump's backing won out.

      He's not going to be tarred and feathered or even impeached in my opinion. But he'll be buried in lawsuits for years to come and loss his company/money. That's my prediction.

      Delete
    2. I hope you are right, Jean. I hate to think of him going unpunished.

      Delete
    3. I think the tarring and feathering are already overdue...

      Delete
    4. Jean--Very astute--I think you're exactly right in positing that Stephen Miller has a lot to do with the historical context optics of things. No way this narcissistic clown has the smarts to know anything about anybody but himself.

      Sadly, I share your opinion regarding his impeachment or even indictment whilst he is in office. But I think a few people will challenge him for the party nomination in 2020, and that, coupled with the SDNY investigations, will sink him. The worst part is and continues to be how the republicans have just folded and swallowed him whole to the detriment of this country.

      Delete
    5. 100% agree with you. As long as he doesn't get re-elected I can live with that. But the party has a lot of rebuilding to do starting with voting Mitch and Lindsey out of office.

      Delete
  6. I knew something about the code talkers and admired their service to our country. I had no idea their body guards were to kill them if captured. They were really treated poorly and I hope we learned from their treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we have learned enough about treating people of color with respect but we are making a progress with each generation.

      Delete
  7. As in your comment to Arkansas Patti, each generation is making progress. It’s sad that most ethnicities have had such a hard go when someone takes control of their land or when they leave their motherland. We need more kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do think he did it on purpose maybe from advice from his cronies. I’d say it was done to throw more raw meat to his cult. They eat the racism stuff up. They love him because he is them. I never before realized there were so many awful people in the world and often neighbors and family. I just don’t get it.

    There is a good movie and I think the name is Code Talker with Nicolas Cage. It’s an older movie. Trump and his cult should feel ashamed, but they don’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wholesale racism is really hard to understand and I'm with you, until Trump was elected I didn't think it was populate enough to get someone elected...or maybe it's not and he had more help from the Russians than what's come out so far.

      I love Nicolas Cage movies, I'll have to track that movie down. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I also watched that movie, it's where I learned about the Code Talkers. I would go so far as to say they were a major factor in our winning the war, in the Pacific Theater anyway (along with that horrific bomb) and the Navajo nation should be revered and celebrated in this country. I'm so disappointed in our country sometimes. I love it wholeheartedly, but....

      Delete
    3. Pippa, you aren't the only one to credit the Navajo for the success in the Pacific. I was the same thing said on a couple of we sites. Ditto on the other stuff.

      Delete
  9. It’s called Wind talkers...the movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wind Talkers makes sense since that's what the NA called themselves.

      Delete
  10. I find the codetalkers and their work fascinating. I would have loved to have heard this talk. And I smiled at your last part. I would have loved to have seen that, too!

    Thanks for stopping over a short while ago. Yes, maybe an easter egg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I write Easter egg? I meant to say Valentine's heart box.

      If you follow your library's newsletter you might see this speaker/lecture show up where you live.

      Delete
  11. I thought your blog today was very interesting about the Code talkers. These people were very important for the US in the war. Now regarding Trump. You know how I feel about this ass. Unfortunately he's taking the US down but I hope that one day he'll be brought down and put into prison. The way he has treated all people is pathetic. I guess I better get out of here before I say the wrong things my friend. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, Paul. If anyone here picks on you for expressing your opinions of Trump, I'll put on my boxing gloves and defend your right to free speech. By the way, have I ever told you that I have a crush on your Prime Minister?

      Delete
    2. Yes I remember you said it to me but he's got himself in a mess in Canada. What's the world coming to? Enjoy your day Jean.

      Cruisin Paul

      Delete
  12. Thank you for dropping in at my blog. I've heard of these Code Talkers, can't remember exactly when, but I was very impressed with their skills and am sad now there are none of them left. Have they passed on the skills and the language or is it now lost?
    Trump is indecipherable. Is he ignorant and racist on purpose? or is he just so puffed up with self importance he believes he can spout whatever his mind comes up with, without first thinking? Does he even have rational thoughts? We'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've heard all the American Indians tribes are trying to preserve their languages now...after years of our governments systematically trying to take culture way.

      Since I wrote this topic I heard a pundit on TV give his opinion that Trump's racism is on purpose, because it feeds his core supporters.

      Delete
    2. I believe that and what does it tell you about one third of the country...his cult

      Delete
    3. That's the disappointing and scary part, isn't it Mary.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for this informative post. I have heard of the Code Talkers, but confess to actually knowing very little detail. As for the defender of the current president....always astounding to me that anyone can still support him. My dismay waxes and wanes, but has hit close to an all time high recently. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we really do need to try to understand why people still support him. But it's really hard to do, isn't it.

      Delete
    2. Do you think it’s people who only watch Fox or listen to Rush Limbaugh and that type? The few I know who do support him have some common traits. They are white, older, quite religious, have various degrees of racism, do listen to Fox and feel the Democrats are too "bleeding hearts" towards the more unfortunate or those who are different in lifestyles. It’s a narrower view of life in general. Just my observations.

      Delete
    3. That's been my observation, too. In addition, the Trump supporters I personally know do not have educations above high school.

      Delete
  14. It’s shameful how the American Indians have been treated. I was familiar with the Code Talkers story, but am sure hearing the speaker who had contact with the last living one would have been especially interesting.

    The Navy guys in the submarine service were trained to not speak of what they did either during WWII and even afterward. I didn’t fully understand the communications my brother did in the South Pacific, stationed in Australia, though we couldn’t know where he was during the war. I finally heard more of his story some years ago talking with him when a blogger wrote a book about her father, a naval commander there who was lost at sea. She hadn’t known her father and this was how she sought to learn more about him. “Full Fathom Five” by Mary Lee Coe Fowler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting.

      I would hate being on a submarine of that era...or any era. My husband's nephew was stationed on a sub just a few years ago. Couldn't wait to get out of the service because he got claustrophobic at sea. Thanks for sharing your brother's story and the book.

      Delete
  15. What a fascinating post. I remember well the ceremony in the White House to honor the Code Talkers. It was disgraceful. And awkward. I can't believe it was coincidental that he was standing in front of Jackson's portrait. The fact that he stayed home and nurtured his bone spurs during Vietnam doesn't seem to dissuade him from repeatedly disrespecting those who've served.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For someone who talks about how much he loves the military he sure doesn't show he understands the sacrifices made by those who did serve.

      If it was a coincidence, then where was the apology for the lapse in judgment when the location of the ceremony was questioned?

      Delete
  16. I bet the military intelligence types in WW2 were very grateful that the government schools hadn't succeeded in eradicating the Navajo language. I think Trump is both ignorant and tone-deaf because he is so busy insisting to himself and everyone else that he is smart that it gets in the way of him learning anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the other codes the military used got broken and the Navajo language never was, even after the war.

      Trump is an expert at everything, according to him.

      Delete
  17. I went read your blog this morning and a new one wasn't there. Are you OK Jean? Thinking about you my friend. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the fact that I'm getting old, I'm fine. When I scheduled the post to appear at 12:30 I accidentally set it for PM instead of AM like I usually do. I did that once before, you'd think I'd know better.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.