Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Fitness Trackers, Telling Time and Moving Forward


It doesn’t take much to make me happy. $32.00 to be precise. That’s what my new Fitfort Tracker watch cost which is considerably less that the Fitbit tracker it replaced that is selling for $149.00 unless you can find one on sale. The Fitfort finally came from Amazon---their two day, prime shipping went out the window during the pandemic---and I didn’t expect much for the price, but I was happily surprised at how easy it was to pair with my cell phone and to calibrate the blood pressure mode against my cuff style monitor. Once that was done, it’s shocking how easy and accurate it is to take your blood pressure through-out the day. Three touches to the screen and I know that my blood pressure, at this very moment, is 124/82. My internist will be pleased. Every time I’d go in for my by-annuals he’d grab my wrist and check the data on my old Fitbit until I finally got smart and printed him a readout of a week’s worth of information. Not sure if I can do that with this watch but it has functions I haven’t even begun to explore like a camera mode. Why would anyone want a camera mode on a watch unless you're a secret CIA agent like my ultra-ego likes to pretend?

What took me the longest to do with this tracker is to figure out how to tell time. One of the three time face choices showed a 15 over a 30 which confused the heck out of me. It wasn’t until a day later, looking at the faces again with one showing a 10 over 08 that it finally dawned on me that it was saying 10:08 and the 15 over 30 had to be military time. Duh! I’d rather have a digital style face or an old fashioned dial style but unlike Fitbit, the Fitfort doesn’t have those choices. At least the numbers are big enough to read without my glasses in the middle of the night. Fitbits sleep mode is much better which gives your rem, deep, light and awake time in percentages but I get too obsessed with sleep tracking so the lesser quality dashboard readings are probably good for me, will help break me of my obsession. The only other thing I like better with Fitbit is their very active user’s message board where you can get answers to just about anything. Fitfort doesn’t have a website or message board but for an extra $5.00 you can get a phone number that supposedly gives you 24/7 help. I paid it but don’t think I’ll ever need it. 

Back in the '90s my husband and I were kind of---what should I say---enamored with watches. Mine are mostly cheapies with plastic bands and faces featuring Monopoly, Gone with the Wind, Mona Lisa, Van Gogh, a paint palette and on and on with arty-farty themes. My husband had a lot of cartoon characters his favorites being Snoopy and Mickey Mouse. His tastes in watches ran from those you got out of cereal boxes back in the day to what I’d call expensive in the $300 range. I gave away his favorite watch after he died to the son-we-wish-we-had. But the others I’m getting close to listing on e-Bay, mostly grouped up and sold in lots minus a few to include individually in junk drawer lots. I really enjoy selling junk drawer lots. I do them by theme---World’s Fairs, Cowboys and Indians, radio premiums, auto related just a name a few I’ve put together. I’ve seen people list mystery boxes of stuff on e-Bay and I wish I knew who buys them and if they are happy with their surprise purchases. Not that I have an interesting selling or buying stuff that way, I'm just curious to know who spends $50 to $200 on something only described as "could be electronics, coins, toys or brand names things." No photos, no indication of how large the boxes are or if its new or used stuff.

I often wonder what I’ll collect once my display boxes and showcases are bare. I’d like to think I’ll just collect memories but I know I can’t hold on to them without visual clues to help pin the experience in my brain. Ya, I have day planners and blog posts to help me remember but I’m more visual than cerebral. If I didn’t know better I’d think I’ve got some Native American blood in my veins because I go through life metaphorically picking up peddles and feathers for the leather pouch I wear around my neck---souvenirs of the places I’ve been. My husband’s passion for collecting was more straight forward. He started out trying to buy back his childhood that two tornadoes, ten years apart, took away and dumped all over the county.

On the pandemic front: My lawn care service showed up and my yard looks great. I was able to score a 12 roll package of toilet paper, the first I’ve found since mid-March. And I’ve got an appointment to get my haircut June 1st plus a house cleaning appointment the last week of May. That same week I’ve got a rescheduled eye doctor appointment lined up. The only other reschedules I’m waiting on are for a dental appointment, an infusion treatment for my bones, oil change appointment, a vet check and teeth cleaning for Levi and a guy to paint a ceiling. All of which will probably get backed up into July. I also got an email from the continuum care campus where construction has resumed. They’re going to have a new timeline figured out in a couple of weeks which will go a long way towards setting my world right again. And I’ve been shopping face masks online since it’s going to be the “fashion” accessory of the summer. Roll with the punches, isn't that what they say? Roll then get back up and start punching back. ©

33 comments:

  1. It sounds as if things are starting to happen again for you. That's great. When you get your mask(s) please take pictures for us. I love reading about/seeing different styles. (What can I say, it keeps me amused.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine made me a couple of cute masks but they say we're supposed to wash them every single time we wear them. So the more we get out and about the more we're going to need. I'm shocked at home many are online already. I ordered one with a changeable filter in it. But there will be know photo until I can get haircut! LOL

      Delete
  2. "Roll with the punches", exactly! The story of my life. What else can we do, but adapt to whatever life throws at us. Good for you, Jean!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad things are beginning to begin to set themselves right again. That nice-looking yard would be quite a spirit lifter for me, and I'm sure it pleases you to look out and see it. It's good to hear construction's started again, too. Once projects like that get re-started, they begin to roll pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they roll pretty quickly. But supply chains are broken and that will weigh heavy into the timeline. Following the parent companies newsletter, though, during the pandemic and how they are keeping their other campus residents' spirits up makes me more and more sure I don't want to move any where else so I'll wait however long I have to.

      My yard looking goo is a spirit lifter. Until we moved to this house we never had a great looking yard, so it's been a pride and joy here to finally keep up with the neighbors.

      Delete
  4. Jean, boy you are braver than me. I wouldn't head to the hairdresser for anything on June 1st. I will continue to look ugly for a bit more. We haven't even hit our peak and we had another new 722 yesterday. So maybe it's better where you live then. You'll have to show us your new do and we can live vicariously through you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are starting to flatten the curve here, but we still have the 4th highest death toll of all the states. 48,021 cases and 4,674 deaths.

      The salon I go to was using safety standards weeks before it became a 'thing'. Hand sanitizers for everyone who got a foot inside the door, no drinks served, no nails done. I trust them to very pro-active after they open back up again. I will wear a mask, they will wear masks and I sanitize the minute I get outside the door.

      Delete
  5. Sunlight kills the virus, so even hanging the masks on your deck in the sun will help disinfect them. I swish mine (cloth) in the sink with Dawn dish detergent and hang them out to dry.

    My grocery store had hand sanitizer on the shelf last week--the first time since March. It was downright silly how happy that made me. So I get it, how small things can make you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn is great, isn't it. The soap not the time of day although that's pretty awesome too.

      We have a lot of breweries here who switched from making beer to making hand sanitizer so if you want to go to the breweries for curbside, we can get it here. When I got my toilet paper I felt like queen. LOL

      Delete
  6. We need to weed and feed our yard but finding a dig friendly guy....I've bern looking at that tracker for the price, glad to hear you like it@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an earthly/environmentally friend company who weeds and feeds my yard with no chemicals. Costs more but worth it.

      The watch finally needed charging on the 5th day, not as long as the Fitbit holds but I've been playing with it a lot so that might improve.

      Delete
  7. I am waiting for surgery so that is on my mind all of the time. I will be happy when I can get finished with that. Now that I know I have a tumor on my pituitary gland, I just imagine every little twinge I have is somehow caused by that! I have googled it WAY too much and need to just be patient about it.
    Sunny days and blooming spring flowers do help and I am so glad we are getting those more often.
    Blog reading has been a great comfort to me - the social interaction, the laughs, the sharing of stories and photos! I am so thankful for blogs (especially yours)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how stressful it would be to wait for a surgical processor! Obviously, the doctors think your tumor is not fast growing or they would have jumped you in pandemic or not. My brother had surgery last week on a growth that they said couldn't wait. Googling is so darn tempting, isn't it.

      I feel the same way about reading the blogs. Thanks for coming to mine.

      Delete
  8. How can fit trackers be so cheap??? Good for you. Our little town has closed all summer activities ... music in the park, 4th of July parade and fireworks, movies for kids in the park. City pools will not open. Oregon counties are all doing their 5 step reopening. My hair is now long enough to tie back!

    I'll be self quarantined for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how much those trackers can do for so little money. They ruined me for wearing other watches.

      Same here on all the summer things that are getting canceled. We are reopening in 5steps, too, with two weeks in between each step and if the curve goes back up then the two weeks will be four.

      I'm kind of thinking about growing my hair out since it will have a 2 1/2 month start anyway. I will still need a trim though.

      Delete
  9. So glad you are happy with your new fitness tracker. I got a Garmin a couple of years ago mainly for it was completely waterproof and I never take mine off. I have replaced the batteries twice and they usually last over a year. I like mine for the sleep function the best. Once you get use to one, it is hard to live without.
    This delay to the campus is probably fortuitous for you were feeling a bit of pressure before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, but the pressure isn't coming from where you think. I'm worried about the housing market being dead when I need to sell, if I can't sell, I'll need to stay and start putting money into this house. It will be 20 years old.

      The new tracker has a weird charging thing that I'm not happy with, but only because I don't have the finger dexterity to pull the band from the watch part to stick into the computer port. No cord involved.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I'm jealous you have a real haircut planned. I have appointment in mid-June and I am hoping against hope I can really get a haircut. Like you, though, it's grown enough that I'm starting to ask myself if I want to leave it a bit longer. Time will tell. I'm a short hair person, but maybe a bit longer short cut. :-)

    I have quite a collection of watches, too. When I finally got a job that paid well, I bought too many. I haven't worn most of them since I got an Apple watch as a gift several years ago. Once you get used to having phone calls & texts notify you on your wrist, as well as having a timer, exercise monitor, etc., etc., it's almost like something is missing when you aren't wearing. That said, I haven't tried to sell any of my watches and maybe I should. Except those with sentimental value, of course.

    We are in the throes of home inspection, well & septic, etc. We have a radon remediation system, but the buyer wants it retested, so although it's beautiful outside, we have closed doors and windows until tomorrow. We just keep telling each other: One Day at a Time. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had short hair since I was in my twenties so I'm kind of intrigued with letting grow a bit.

      Does your Apple watch have a camera function? I still can't see why you'd use a watch to click a photo with your cell phone. I accidentally took a photo of the celing playing around with it.

      Fingers crossed that your inspections go well. You shouldn't have any surprises if you did had them done recently.

      Delete
    2. Me too. I grew my hair into a bob and it happened to coincide with one of my brother's weddings. So I have proof that I don't like it longer, but it is an interesting time to toy with the idea again.

      I'm not sure if my watch can take pics. LOL. I am sure I don't use most of the functions on it. When I got my last iPhone, I was forever taking pics of ceilings, my feet, etc. I'm a bit of a dork on that front.

      Delete
    3. That's the crazy part...the watch doesn't actually take the pictures. You're just using the watch app to click the cell phone's photo app. For the life of me, can't see the point. On of those geeky mysteries only Agatha Christie could figure out.

      Delete
  11. I've been a short hair person most of my life -- I always looked ten years younger with it, too. Then, when I retired, discovered my hairdresser hadn't been cutting my hair right to allow natural waves and curls --- she always said I didn't have curly hair so thought I'd lost it with age. Decided to just let it grow for a bit to see what happened, intending to get it short again with new hairdresser after mine left due to severe COPD and on O2, but almost six years later and I haven't cut it yet. I have waves and Shirley Temple curls all on their own though I keep it pulled back. Sadly, for me my hair has been thinning for over a decade now and has lost the thickness I once had -- could never have imagined this could happen to my hair.

    No way I'm going back to the hair dresser in the next week or two, 'cause she had drunk the propaganda and conspiracy kool aid long ago, so when the virus emerged she rejected the seriousness of it all, continuing to indulge her shopping-in-crowds fetish with no effort toward precautions. The shop got closed though another of the kool aid drinking crowd, nail gal, reportedly snuck in a couple times -- mgr of center finally had officials walk her out. I understand the responsible shop owner is genuinely concerned and consulting to establish sanitation and criteria for these station contractors. I'll query my gal I've known for years from the old shop (age 89 who works just to keep busy) when she calls to see what they, and especially her, are doing before I commit to going back.

    I understand the infusion for your bones, but you're having your oil changed, too??? Badda bing! Sorry 'bout that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about your hair. The last girl I had had hair very much like mine and boy could she give a great haircut. But she quit to have a baby so I'm booked with someone new. Not really new, she worked one chair down from my regular girl. She's very anti-Trump so I'm sure we'll get along. This shop took precautions weeks before the state mandated them.

      An oil change is way down the list of things I need to reschedule...probably July before I get around to it. They are offering a pick up and deliver service---not that I'd use it---but it's an indication that they're they will take precautions.

      Delete
    2. My reference to an oil change was meant to infer you getting one not your car — a play on words, corny, vaudevillian, but obviously didn’t work.

      Delete
    3. LOL I read your comment when I first got up in the morning when I'm was still half asleep. I wish I could get MY oil changed, my bones are creaky.

      Delete
  12. I keep toying with getting a fitbit but now I might toy with getting a fitfort. Do you have to have a smart phone to use them? I know it won't work with my flip phone. Which I only use when I travel! That's a great recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to have a smart phone to get the Fitfort to work---it needs an apt to set it up. The Fitbit you can do with an apt on Windows 10 which you also need to set up the watch. They do have some trackers that are stand alones. They don't track as much data but they are cheap. Just google, "trackers that work without a phone" then be sure to read and compare and check reviews.

      Delete
  13. Wow! You have a number of "out in the world" activities planned! I still don't know when I'll leave Stay Home/Stay Healthy behind. I've only gone out to a public place twice -- once to Costco; once to Lowe's Home & Garden. I'm starting to be more comfortable passing people on the walking trail outside. I'm reading that outdoor transmission is pretty low if precautions are taken. So I might start there. Being indoors with other people still scares me.

    Fitfort sounds a lot like Fitbit. I still have mine, but have stopped using the sleep feature too. I got obsessed with my sleep score and let my wrist gadget tell me how I slept as if I had no ability to determine that for myself even though my score was consistently in the high "good" category. I figure I'll know if I start sleeping poorly.

    Watches -- I wore a Mickey Mouse watch with a red leather band for many years after a 1989 trip to Disney World. It was my fave. Then I went on to a Timex I loved. Then when cell phones became an accessory I let the watches go. But now my Fitbit serves that function. Besides these days, "Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, I don't even know what day it is most of the time now, let alone what time it is.

      Fitness trackers are quickly putting watch makers out of business...what little was left of it after cell phones came out. Seems weird to see things go obsolete in our time. I haven't worn a regular watch since I got my first Fitbit 5-6 years ago. But I just sold a Mickey with a red leather band.

      Why do we all get obsessed with tracking our sleep?

      Delete
  14. Face masks continue to elude me. I’ve now put in 4 orders with 4 different places since the end of March and have yet to receive one of those orders. I wonder where everyone is getting the masks they are using because I’m having zero luck in that department.
    In the meantime, I continue to improvise.

    We are slowly starting to open up here in Ontario too, but I will not be rushing out any time soon. I prefer to wait and see how all the little canaries fair, flying around the coal mine.

    Https:mylifelivedfull.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend made me a couple of masks and I have a couple more on order from Amazon. They aren't overdue yet but the length of time them promised them in was something like two weeks. Makes me think they were either coming from overseas or the vendors selling them are must overwhelmed.

      The people who are rushing out to go to bars really will be like canaries in the coal mines, good comparison. There are a lot of places I won't be going even if they are open again.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.