Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Field Trips and Movies


Six of us left the continuum care campus to go to a movie theater in a near-by mall. I hate getting into a car with another octogenarian at the wheel but my car isn’t big enough to take more than two pint sized people with me, especially if one them comes with a walker. This is nothing new, I used to hate getting into a car with a septuagenarian at the wheel, too, when I was in the Red Hat Society. That group of women was even scarier because we joked around more, were more of a distraction to anyone driving. But my fears were unjustified. We never got involved in an accident and our road trips were longer than any I’m bound to have in this my current chapter of my life. Still, it would help if I’d quit binge watching Grey’s Anatomy where ‘road kill’ comes into Seattle's trauma center and ends up on a surgical table where every other patient seems to die while the doctors sort out their love lives as they stand over their bloody bodies. I’m in season 12 of 18 so hopefully I’ll be to the end of the series before my trigger thumb/carpal tunnel surgery is scheduled. With my imagination I can see myself leaving our surgical center minus an arm because a flesh-eating bacteria entered my wounds. Okay, I just outed myself as a worry wort. Or did I do that a long ago?

Being a worry wort does have its upside. I credit that mindset for me never having let a bride down in my twenty years of servicing nearly 4,000 weddings and receptions with flowers. I always had a plan A and B with a follow up Plan C. For extra points for weddings I carried a tackle box with stuff like smelling salts, band-aids, shirt buttons and thread for hemming up dresses---this was in the days before wedding coordinators were a thing and they inherited the tackle boxes. I was prepared for every conceivable thing that could go wrong from the wholesalers shipping the wrong flowers to the church being locked when it was time to pick up the rentals after the wedding to move them to another church. I traveled that way too. Laugh at me if you must---my husband did---but if I was caught during a blizzard on a highway for ten hours I had my homemade coffee can stove for heat and for melting snow into drinking water. I could eat my emergency energy bars and do word puzzles while I waited to be rescued. You'd be surprised how much storm-comfort stuff you can pack inside a coffee can stove. I blame my mom for me always being prepared. She made the teen me carry dimes in my shoes in case I needed to make an emergency phone call.

Enough about me. The movie we saw was Where the Crawdads Sings and afterward we went to a restaurant where we disagreed on whether or not the leading character, Kya, actually killed the young man (Chase) who she stood trial for murdering and was acquitted. One thing we didn’t disagree on was that we all loved the movie. The scenery of the Carolina swamps and marshlands was fascinating, the acting and casting was spot on. I’d read the book but so long ago I had forgotten it and its plot. But here it is two weeks later after seeing the movie and I’m still thinking about it. 

Spoiler Alert: I found an article that explains the ending and the clues in the film that back up the case for her having done it and I was finally convinced by the line Kya spoke to her publisher about how she believed nature doesn’t have a dark side “just inventive ways to endure” coupled with a line she wrote in a diary her husband, Tate, found after she died about how Chase had become her pry. I wish this movie was on Netflix. It's the kind of film I’d watch over again back-to-back so I could enjoy the dialogue without the distraction of the cinematography. Since having Netflix I get frustrated watching stuff on regular TV where you can’t rewind the parts you want to savor, where you can’t pause the action long enough to move the laundry from the washer to the dryer.

Despite my fear of riding with senior citizen drivers, today---if you're reading this on the day it goes live---I am on another road trip. An all day trip with two car loads of women from my CCC. We’re visiting a gay couple who have a cottage on Lake Michigan who split their time between their cottage and the CCC. One lady in the couple is in my book club and our sense of humors meshed from the first time we met. We’re kindred spirits on the silliness charts. They were both college professors who taught graphic arts and are just plain fun to be around. There is another gay couple living here who are not as warm and fuzzy but who are quick to say they are pleasantly surprised at how well “they’ve been accepted” on this Christian based, non-profit campus. I don’t think they are as good at reading people as they think they are---and gayness has nothing to do with it. And I’ll just leave it at that. ©

31 comments:

  1. I'm always hesitant to ride with other people--I've had some really serious situations in just the past year when we've gone places with other people in their car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know others worried about this issue. I hoped I was just being paranoid. LoL We are leaving in an hour.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to confess that I have noticed my driving skills aren't what they used to be! Most of the time, I drive a bit slower to try to compensate for my changing vision and response times. I am very grateful for the safety features (like back-up cameras) and I do rely on them.

    Where the Crawdads Sing was such a good book, and I've heard so many positive reports about the movie. Glad you and some of your friends had the chance to see it. Hope today's road trip is safe and lots of fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a chance to see the movie, go.

      Thanks for the good wishes on the road trip. With any luck I'll get a post out of it.

      Delete
  3. Curious..do many people wear masks in the movies? I’m going to see this tomorrow and it’s the first movie outing in two years or more. Can’t wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't see but two people wearing them, but I carry one in my purse all the time just in case and I check the county numbers before I leave my campus.

      Delete
  4. This post contained major spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the book or seen the movie. Might want to put that ahead of the post. Just a thought.

    I haven't been to the movies in years. I miss the big screen experience, but I don't miss the distracting/rude behaviour of the audience, which seemed to occur no matter when I went. Now I watch them at home--a little later--but more quietly, on my small screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Idea, I added the spoiler alert in front of the article link.

      theaters now days have the audiences spread so far apart in the big, lounger chairs that you hardly known anyone else is there and you buy tickets online so they their is no one there anonymously anymore. Think that changes behavior. Plus we go in the afternoon when it's mostly older people.

      Delete
  5. I read that book and remember loving it but now I cannot remember why I loved it. I might have to read it again! I avoid going to movie theaters because I like to read the captions when I watch at home and I would miss a lot of the dialog in the movie theater. Glad you have friends to plan outings with. Enjoy your day today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the captions on too when I watch Netflix's. Accept for a one or two scenes I think this movie is NOT one you'd have to see on a big screen to really enjoy it. Not many panoramic shots.

      I did have a great time today.

      Delete
  6. Yup. It's probably not the gayness. I haven't been to a movie theatre in more than two years. I don't see it happening soon -- unless it's the 10 a.m. morning show which is more like a private screening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I've been since the pandemic and I used to go once a month. The way the seats are now, you really aren't that close to anyone and the aisles are super wide.

      Delete
  7. I too don't trust older drivers either and they really have to be old to be older than me:)
    As for Crawdads, I loved the book till the end then I was hugely disappointed for I felt she had killed him. Debating about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to believe it was an accident and thought the ending scene wasn't needed.

      We had two car loads going to Lake Michigan today and I got the best driver. When we pulled up my neighbor got out of the car and said it was a scary experience because the other driver was driving 90 and felt unsafe. On the way home she got in the backseat where she couldn't see as much. LoL

      Delete
  8. Dear Jean, your sentence about leaving the surgery missing one arm had me chuckling! You do know how to build the tension and then fire the bullet that grazes my funny bone! I'd so like to meet with you and your graphic-arts friend with whom you share a sense of the ridiculous. I bet the three of us would "pee our pants" with laughter!

    Hope the trip goes well today and that there will be much laughter and sharing with the two friends you are all visiting. I had a lovely thing happen this morning--heard the song "You Light Up My Life," sung by Debbie Boone back in 1977. I hadn't heard it since (I don't think) and I spent lovely minutes on the screened-in porch thinking of all the friends and family members throughout my long life who had "lit it up." How blessed and fortunate I've been.

    Oh, and by the way, your worry wort chapters were a delight to read. Perhaps your husband laughed but I bet he secretly delighted in the way your mind works.

    And thank you for your recent comment on my "Arthur/tattoo) posting. I can no longer respond to comments because I can't "sign on with Google" (don't know how). So thank you here and now. Peace from Dee Ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all frustrated with the commenting issues.

      I'm happy you get my sense of humor. Laughter is so good for the soul.

      The "You light Up my Life" lyrics I've always thought of has a love song but you're right, they could apply to anyone who has enriched our lives.

      Your tattoo story is by far the best one I've ever heard.

      Delete
  9. I’m with you, Jean. I always have Plan A plus B and C percolating in the back of my mind. It makes for a much less stress and drama-filled life. After having lived according to others’ (read: husbands) ways and having to endure the stress and the drama of their poor planning, it’s NEVER AGAIN for this chick. I just watched Where the Crawdads Sing last night. Yeah, for me too I had read it so long ago that I had forgotten a lot of the plot but not the SURPRISE ending. I enjoyed the movie as well.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having back up plans really does take the stress out of so many situations. I don't like drama around stuff that could have been prevented. It might cut down on the spontaneous stuff in life but when things do fall in place for those to happen they are all the sweeter.



      Delete
  10. This is Catherine/parlance, who's still bamboozled by modern Blogspot commenting. My friend and I loved a joke about two elderly women driving, in which the end line is, 'Oh, am I driving? I thought you were.' When we're feeling overwhelmed by life, we just say that end line to each other and we immediately feel better. And, in contrast to your blizzard preparedness, my sister always likes to have a bottle of water on the suburban train, in case the train breaks down in extreme heat (happens because the tracks expand in the heat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you said you're bamboozied by modern Blogspot commenting but it went through linked to your blog, so you did something right, just didn't know it.

      I love it when old friends can have lines that make each other laugh. Yours is a good one.

      Delete
  11. That last Comment had me snickering becoz of the Book Club Comment that was Snarky by Gay Gal from Couple No. 2. *winks* Glad you enjoyed the Movie... I'm told by my Clan that I'm a Scary Driver and why The Man holds onto the Handle Built Into the Ceiling of the Truck... *Ha ha ah* I just figured he must have more to Live for than me? *Smiles* I enjoyed going to see the new Jurassic Dino Movie twice, once in 3-D, and vowed to go to the Movies more, since the Matinees are pretty inexpensive entertainment really and most of the Crowds going are sparsely distributed among the Dozens of Screens they're showing everything on. I think I need a good Comedy right about now and one looks Promising that has Brad Pitt in it... but I can't recall what the Name of the Movie is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygod, I don't know how you figured that out but...don't tell me. I was trying to be nice and not add that detail.

      I will see anything with Brad Pitt in it. I've been crushing on him since he did a River Runs Through it when he was young and he's aged so well.

      Delete
  12. Well just Googled the Brad Pitt Movie and it's Bullet Train and the Trailer looks really corny and forced, so perhaps that's not the one that would round out the Summer for me? *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Went to see Where the Crawdads Sing yesterday and it was one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. So beautifully done. I had not read the book, so I did not know the outcome, which was a treat for me. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't been in a movie theater since Covid! But I do like closed captioning better than big screen (I'm thinking about getting a job a closed captioning .... so many mistakes!). I'm almost at the point of NOT driving and I'm not a good passenger except maybe with my kidults. SO MANY distracted drivers. Hmmm ... am I turning into a curmudgeon rather then an introvert?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ask myself a similar question all the time. LoL.

      I'm surprised movie theaters survived Covid. So many restaurants did not. But some movies just are better on a big screen.

      Delete
  15. Whatever happened to the Red Hats? I think I recall reading somewhere they were really conforming contrary to the founder's philosophy?

    Movie sounds really good. Our local independent movie house didn't survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been in following the Red Hats since I quit. I think the founder's philosophy really fit the age of the women at the time it was founded...women who'd been held back by the norms of the times when most were stay at home moms. But to keep the organization current of growing they'd have to change I suppose. They have recently opened their membership to younger women,

      Delete
  16. Your auto preparedness sounds so much like my hurricane preparedness. I just find it so little trouble to have all the necessities gathered in advance of the rush to the grocery or hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I panic too easily to leave things to the last minute. I don't understand why people who live where they have to be prepared for hurricanes, etc, don't just keep that stuff on hand all the time and make sure it gets rotated a couple of times a year.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.