Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

The Book Club Drama

 

Sometimes I wonder why I keep blogging. Surely I’ve said everything worth saying then I remind myself it’s exercise for my brain and it comes in handy when I want to look up something I’ve done in the past, something with details too fuzzy to recall without my blog's search feature. The most recent search of my blog was to find a review I wrote for a book we were about to discuss in my new book club here at the continuum care complex. I didn’t remember reading The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Pkhilipp Sendker, a saga that GoodReads says is “a poignant and inspirational love story” until I got about twenty pages into it. Then it hit me, my extreme dislike of the book I’d read for another book club and how everyone else in my old club loved it. 

This time there was one person who agreed with my criticism of how the author used a character to be an omniscient narrator who delivered long, rambling monologues about the backstories of a half dozen other characters including their innermost thoughts---stuff that no one character had any way of knowing. The other woman who said that bothered her too was a retired librarian which is probably why she knew what the heck I was ranting about (in a nice, sweet old lady but cynical kind of way). We both thought the book needed restructuring to make the author, not a character the omniscient narrator. I can't move past glaring flaws like that and apparently a couple dozens publishers turned the book down for presumably the same rookie mistake so there's that to rub on my lack of literary forgiveness wart.

Despite the impression you might have of our book club the discussion was well balanced with everyone having their say and we all agreeing at the end that having different opinions makes for good discussions. But for me it ended on a sour note when a brand new member to the group asked what kind of books I like since I didn’t like that “wonderful piece of literature” and I couldn’t name a single author or book and I was finally forced to admit I read a lot of trashy romances but I stupidly just had to add, “And I’ve studied a lot of how-to-write books.” She replied in an oh-so-sweet voice, “Maybe one day you’ll get published.” I’m surrounded by teachers and professors in that club who’ve never treated me like a literary flea for liking romances, but her comment and smirk seemed condescending. I felt like I was ten years old and I wanted to blurt out that I’ve had 12-15 articles published at Associated Content before they got bought out by Yahoo. But I kept that to myself and got tongue-tied for doing it.

The newbie must have taken my floundering as a call for help because she suggested a mystery series I should try to “improve my appreciation for literature” in a genre I was not aware was even a genre---‘magical realism’. Apparently the ‘Heartbeats’ book is classified as magical realism. Back in my apartment I googled ‘magical realism’ and sure enough it is a thing---never too old to learn. 

It dawned on me that I just finished reading a mystery that could be classified as magical realism and cynical me didn't like that book either. The main character was an FBI agent who could see red circles on the ground where bodies were buried and where evidence was stored between walls of a house, etc. All the leads to solve the case came, not from good detective work but by her magical power. If only life was that simple. Whip out a magical power and crimes get solved by human bloodhounds, and no daughter is left to wonder if the father she loved is dead or alive when in fact he just ran off to play Romeo to his Juliet. (‘Heartbeats’ was basically a Romeo and Juliet plot with Burmese folklore thrown in.)

The next book up for discussion in our club is one I picked for the group to read---The Death and Life of the Great Lakes---so I hope the newbie is there to see I read more than books written for flea brains. But the book club discussion continued later on at dinner, minus the newbie when a couple who had witnessed me getting flustered was asked what the ‘Great Lakes’ book is about and the guy says, “Jean picked it and it’s a romance, isn’t it Jean?” I like this guy and so I took it for the teasing it was meant it to be and I replied, “Yes, with a little mystery and sc-fi thrown in.” The three of us laughed while the woman who asked the question looked on confused. She’s not in our book club but she often reads the same books we do, she just doesn’t want to be committed to the formal club discussions. She’s not the only one who does that so in any given month there are 12-16 people walking around campus who we can talk 'book' with---“How far did you get?” “Do you like it?” “Does so and so die?” It’s pretty cool to have fictional characters to gossip about guilt free. 

And let me just add that the hour and half we spend at book club is my one of my favorite times of the month. I love the debates that sometimes happen, the sharing of personal anecdotes that relate to the story, the challenge of thinking on my feet and, yes, even when I fail to think on my feet like I did this month. Even when what happens in book club doesn't stay in book. ©


38 comments:

  1. I hate it when people are condescending and disrespect other people's opinions. 🙁

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have agreed with you if I'd been there. When a contemporary author consistently violates the point of view of a character, I lose respect for the writer.

    That question about what kind of books you read was, as you realized, not a true solicitation for your opinion but rather an opportunity for her to demean you. Just as I wouldn't trust an author who couldn't handle POV, I wouldn't trust her, either. She could have just said, woman to woman, that she didn't agree with you, but she felt the need to demean you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She felt the need to educate me since it was clear I hadn't heard of 'magical realism' before. Can't wait to see what she did before retiring. I don't think she was a teacher because half the book club were teachers or professors and they never talk down to anyone even if they are explaining something others had not heard about.

      Delete
  3. Kudos for not taking on that 'literary snob' at your book club meeting. Truly, she is one for the books! (pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have choice. I got so tongue-tied I couldn't talk. LoL

      Delete
  4. Oh, if only she knew you write volumes every week and share it with the world! And yes, I'm just snarky enough to have told her about the articles you wrote. And I'd still find a way to get it in there. Or, I might have said, "Well, that's condescending." Oh Jean, I do wish you'd write the book of your transition to and living in the CCC. Too many people would find it too wonderful. It could even be a collection of your blog posts, which would be enough to pitch to an agent as a book proposal. A series of essays from your blog -- it wouldn't even need a specific plot because every day is a little plot. The Calvin Trillin of retirement living. Honestly, I'm not joking. I'd buy it. I'd even suggest it for book club!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done what you're suggesting with my caregiver blogs, my dog's blog and my early widowhood books. When I came home from book club I counted all the self-published books I've written based on blog posts and there are seven of them plus three ancestry/family history books and my spoof obituary book. I could easily do another book based on my posts but I think it would be better to fictionalize any book I write about the CCC which I still thinking of doing in November.

      Delete
    2. I think fictionalizing your experiences is a great idea. Best not to write about real people in case some take offense. I like your being incognito so you're free to express your opinions about people you'll be spending the rest of your life with.

      Delete
    3. Since my last comment I have started working on poems about this place which I really like and can see something worth sharing here. I'm thinking of doing paintings to go with some of the verses. They have an arts show between the two campuses that is well attended by the community and I have plenty of time to write it, illustrate it and publish a few copies so that I can enter one of them. Color me excited!

      Delete
  5. A few days ago, I was struggling to find an online book that kept my attention. In years gone by, it seemed easier to get lost in a good book. I'm not sure what has changed, other than the fact that everything is always changing. No doubt, what is going on inside (and outside) the reader affects perception. I also wonder if some of us are better off reading the old-fashioned way, holding an actual book in our hands and reading the printed word from paper. Remember back in the dark ages, when we had library cards and drove to the library to check out books. Nowadays, anyone online has endless reading possibilities. That's something to be grateful for. Maybe the most important thing is for us to continue to try to read and connect with others. Not always easy, but I believe it is valuable more often than not.

    Jean, I always appreciate when a post makes me think--and yours do that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about reading actual books instead of a Kindle or app. I miss copying down lines that speak to me and savoring paragraphs that I can find later if I flip through a book. I know there is a way to do that with Kindle but I've never mastered that. I can't even figure out how to get rid of the underlines others have marked as special to them. I usually have three books going---one I listen too, one on Kindle and one hard copy.

      Thanks for reading here!

      Delete
  6. Not a fan of magical realism books in general and that one sounds awful. That woman sounds like a pill. But I'm glad to hear your book group (in general) is fun and most are not condescending. For myself, I think the world scenario right now calls for some escapism and your choice of romance is a popular one. I walked through Barnes & Noble the other day and there was a huge table of romance books. So you are clearly not alone. :-) And the Great Lakes book is definitely not fluffy. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great Lakes book is scary and intriguing all at that same time. Having the history of the water condensed like that makes the eco-system understandable and of course, to those of us who live near any of any of the great lakes it's like reliving history at times.

      In the book club meeting we all discussed the difference between a romance and a love story. Truthfully, I didn't separate the two in my head. The 'Heartbeats' book is supposed to be a love story which is higher up on the literary chain than a romance genre book. I've thought about that afterward and decided I truly love the thrill of the chase, the finding each other in the world and I'm bored with the stories where couples separate and find each other years later like in the 'Heartbeats'. I just don't buy into the theory that people's tastes don't change over time and that the person you loved at 17-18 is going to be the same person you love at 50-60 if you don't see each other in between to grow together. To me, that is more of a fairytale that boy meets girls and falls madly in lust, then love.

      Delete
  7. I'm going to check out the Great Lakes book, thanks for the tip! As a former librarian, I developed quite a distaste for book snobs. I personally prefer non-fiction and I can't tell you how many of these "literature lovers" are dismissive of anything but what they deem good. I actually had one tell me once I should branch out and read fiction so I could "learn what good writing really is" and asked me what I got out of reading "textbooks" all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh-my-God! Good writing is in no way only found in fiction. That's absurd!

      I think you'll like the Great Lakes book. I read it with another book club and we all learned a lot about the eco system. So far others here are equally as fascinated by it and it in no way reads like a text book. I hope you laughed in that snobs face.

      Delete
  8. I'm not a fan of the magical realism genre myself.

    It took me years and years to start reading contemporary fiction. I was a book snob, I guess; being a Brit Lit major in college and teaching American Lit (and Creative Writing) forever will do that to a person. I still prefer nonfiction, but I have found excellent confic out there amid the mediocre stuff.

    The Book Club Snot sounds like she might be trying to Validate Her Existence--you know, make it apparent that she belonged there and had the chops to stay a member of a book club. It's unfortunate that you happened to be the one who got caught out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is going to upset the balance in the club, I think. It was her first meeting and right off the bat she was the first to speak up about the book and in an aggressive sort of way and I guess I kind of asked for what I got from her later on because I was the second to speak up by asking her to back up and introduce herself. What you said in the second paragraph sound right on target.

      Delete
  9. Your book club rules are sound and evidently that lady didn't pay attention to them when she attacked you. Can't wait to hear what you find out about her background. Glad she didn't ruin your dinner.
    Can't remember reading any magical realism books. Think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those rules are ones I pulled off the internet. We haven't formally needed any for our group as we've been very comparable up until now.

      Being challenged last time will make me super prepared next time. LOL

      Delete
  10. I never knew there was a "magical realism" genre either! Don't think I would like it and I don't appreciate sci fi. I mostly read fiction but I didn't realize that certain genres were more "literary" than others. You have more patience that me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do a deep dive into what magical realism is but from what I do know I know I'll never warm up to it, I don't care how good it's written. I do like sci-fi though which is different because super powers aren't given to ordinary people.

      Delete
  11. I hope that woman doesn’t come for you again, but she probably will. Sounds like the type that has to put others down in order to prop herself up. Insecure. I have yet to join a book club although I’d really like to…there seem to be so many that are poorly run and where no one even reads the books, and so few that seem to get it right. Sounds like yours is one of the good ones!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book club and the one I used to belong to were/are both well run. I'm guessing those that are connected with a group/school/organization are better than those started by a bunch of friends. We have a lot of roses among the thorns in our group.

      Delete
  12. I've dipped into some of the earliest magical realism, like Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude and a couple by Murakami, but I just couldn't deal with them, despite all the hubbub. Of course I tend toward non-fiction, so there's that. I do read and re-read Faulkner, O'Connor, Welty, and such. Whenever someone gives me grief about my reading preferences, I always remember this great quote from Mark Twain:

    “I haven't any right to criticize books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticize Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read Pride and Prejudice I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave it to Mark Twain to make me smile. Thanks for sharing that. I've never been a fan of Jane Austen either, so there's that too.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. They can be intimidating. It took me a long time before I felt safe enough to speak up.

      Delete
  14. I have enjoyed some magical realism but don't consider it a preferred genre. I would dislike having an aggressive and unkind person in BC where discussion should be open and free-flowing, not critical and demeaning. My BC is 100% teachers and although we often disagree about books, we are always considerate of our different points of view. I hope the members of your BC don't let this new person ruin the ambiance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not too. We have some people in the group who are really good at dealing with confrontation---was easy to see and admire when our resident racist was on a roll.

      I may be way off base here because I didn't do a deep dive into what magical realism is but my first impression is that it's like fairy tales for grownups.

      Delete
  15. I would have had trouble finishing that book. My other pet peeve is books that haven't been adequately proofread before publication. When an author loses track of which name they finally settled on for this character or the character's eye color changes from one page to the next, I have to put it aside.
    I just finished a novel you might like to take the bad taste of your condescending book group member out of your mouth; it's Beneficence by Meredith Hall. It's about the ordinary, but extraordinary, lives of a farm family in mid-20th century New England. It reminded me a bit of Ann Tyler, with ordinary people living ordinary lives, but with complex family dynamics and flawed human beings doing the best they can but sometimes making bad decisions out of a misplaced sense of responsibility. I particularly liked that each part of the story is told from the points of view of three different family members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have that book on reserve for one of our club discussions. Sounds good.

      I have the same trouble with poorly edited books. It bugs the heck out of me when authors use the term 'car' and 'truck' interchangeable too. I a read book where the author used three names for the same character---two were nicknames that had no relationship with the read name. A good edititor in my mind would catch the confusion of that.

      Delete
  16. Would it be timely to suggest (in saccharine tones) that it's better not to live a life governed by other's opinions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adult me might agree but the little girl in me would not find that an easy row to hoe.

      Delete
    2. A good response - you might enjoy this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrxI_euTX4A

      Delete
  17. I should try to “improve my appreciation for literature” ... oh Snap, No she didn't! I thought that comment alone was rude, obnoxious and condescending to a degree that was beyond inappropriate, she sounds like a pompous Bitch who is intentionally Snarky... not a Good Look for any Newbie to any Group, hopefully someone knocks her off her High Horse for trying to humiliate people publicly, it's crass. Okay, so now I've defended you, my Friend, wish I'd of been there to spar with her actually, I like to toy with the likes of her. Except for her tho', I think Book Club could be stimulating conversation of diverse opinions about what everyone Reads together and discover other points of views and perspectives. I don't Read much but I know what I like and I suspect most other people do too... that's why Books and other Written Forms are so diverse, not everything appeals to everyone and there's no Wrong thing to just Enjoy... including your Trashy Romance Novels. *Winks* The Critic sounds quite frigid, perhaps she needs to just get Laid? *Bwahahahaha*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Critic---that's a good nickname----is gay and living with her wife.

      I agree most people do know their tastes in books but those of us who like book clubs generally want to stretch our reading choices and clubs do that.

      Delete
  18. I would like to be a mouse in the corner at your next meeting to see your "critic's" reaction to your book selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!

      Found your comment in my spam folder. Sorry it took so long to find it.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.