Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Wearing Masks and other Mandatory Ear Adornments


Before the pandemic April and October used to be my busiest months for yearly and bi-annual appointments for medical stuff and house and car maintenance. I liked getting it all condensed and out of the way so I wasn’t driving during winter snow storms or in the season of overheated cars and impatient drivers. With the stay-at-home orders in Michigan from March 26th to staggered re-openings starting in June It’s been a long haul and now everyone is scrambling to get months’ worth of missed appointments back on the books. Even places that didn’t require appointments are doing so now in order to ensure social distancing. I called the eyeglass place, for example, to see if they were open and was shocked to learn I had to make an appointment a week in advance to pick out new frames.

We still have mandatory orders in place to wear masks and do our six foot social distancing when we are in public. And oh how important my ears have become to the point that I’m paranoid checking them every few minutes because I’ve discovered that taking off your mask can also send your hearing aids flying across a parking lot. Before I was able to get a haircut my ears also had to contend with a plastic headband holding my hair off my face in addition to their usual job of holding up my eyeglasses and having earrings sticking through them. It’s just too much junk coming together in one place! On the good side, I'm saving money on my Bert’s Bees Watermelon lip gloss because it hasn’t come out of my drawer much since masks became part of my wardrobe. 

I have five masks now. My first two were made by one of my Gathering Girls pals, delicate and cute floral patterns. Then I ordered two that literally came on a slow boat from China. Both have pockets for filters and one is black, the other is a black and white print. Finally my local grocery store started stocking them and I got a gray mask to match my hair and it's probably too thin to do any real good. With all those masks to choose from I still want another---one with a ventilation breathing valve which probably defends the whole purpose of wearing a mask in the first place. I’m a shallow mouth breather and I’m having trouble getting enough oxygen through any of the masks I own.

Eyelashes---I can’t find mine anymore to wear mascara and since I wear silver and black glasses with rhinestones on the bows no one looks past those to see my eyes anyway. I’ve always been obsessed, however, with my eyebrows and that obsession has been jacked up on steroids since masks became standard fare. I have one dark brown and black eyebrow and one white and brown brow and I never leave the house without painting a little color over my eyebrows to even them out. Aside from that oddity, in my teens I had a unibrow that I over plucked and am paying for now that I know the ‘rules’ for where I should have quit plucking. And have I mentioned that I have the classic thinning of the last third of my eyebrows due to my hypothyroidism? I have to pencil in an 1/8 of an inch at the center ends of my brows and fill in near the other ends or I feel naked. Eyebrows on, I'm good to go anywhere. I just wish I could wiggle them independently...learn the language of eyebrow flirting in the age of Covid-19. I just made that up but the language of eyebrows should be a thing.

I've had the prescription for new glasses for a few weeks but I was waiting until after I got my post-Covid-19 lock down haircut to pick out new frames. The frames I’m using now are nearly a decade old. The last two times I’ve needed new prescriptions I hated the frames available and I ended up getting my new prescriptions put in those old frames with the rhinestone bows. I wanted something flashy with a rainbow of colors. I still want that and if I can’t find them this time I’m going with big, horn-rimmed librarian glasses. You know the kind...the kind that hides your sexiness and when you free your hair from its ponytail and whip off your glasses guys swoon at your feet. Ya, I know, sometimes I forget I don’t have a ponytail and guys don’t swoon at the feet of septuagenarians. Who said dementia can’t be something to look forward to when you have a good imagination. And who are these goober guys in romance books who can't tell if a woman is sexy if she's wearing glasses? I'm guessing they're the sons of Clark Kent and Lois Lane?

As least I’m not as delusional as a man I saw at the grocery store this week. He was hooked up to an oxygen tank that he was pushing around in his cart. On his head was a red MAGA hat and he was wearing a t-shirt with a serpent in the middle surrounded by the words, “Don’t Tread on Me! Liberty or Death!” He was not wearing the state mandated mask and his angry resentment of his fellow shoppers who were wearing them was palatable. “Give me liberty or give me death.” He’s picking his poison and I just hope he's not spiking the punch of others like me as he invaded our six foot bubble of supposed safety. As author and columnist John Pavlovitz says, "A mask is a stupid hill to die on in America." ©

“… Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace.
The war is actually begun!
The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears
 the clash of resounding arms!
Our brethren are already in the field!
Why stand we here idle?
What is it that gentlemen wish?
What would they have?
 Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased
at the price of chains and slavery?
Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take;
 but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

Sir Patrick Henry 1775 in his call to arms against the British.

40 comments:

  1. They cancelled my April annual eye exam and haven't phoned back. It will be a mess when they reopen. And I've had to have some dental work and is glad my dentist is there again, but I'm not sure her masks will protect me. She's given up on the plastic shield, and when she was talking to me the other day (sitting right next to me) her mask was around her mouth but not her nose. I told Andy if I come down with COVID to give her office a heads up.

    I'm amazingly relaxed about it. I was more concerned that she would go out of business and I would have to find another dentist. Life goes on, for a while at least. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my eye doctor's office opened up, they had a strict mask requirement. In fact, all five places I've been to for appointments had us wait in our cars until our time, no lobby chairs, then our temptresses taken before going in the building and had us use hand sanitize. Even getting a haircut we had to do all that. Deaths in my town from Covid-19 have gone from a high of 232 a day to 3 yesterday so we're doing good. Don't want to see iit return so I'm find with all the precautions that are state mandated until the 15th of July.

      Delete
  2. I wish you'd used a different illustration at the top of your post. Confronting that kind of language with my first cup of coffee was a bit off-putting, and I nearly clicked out before reading further. Ah, well -- there's a lot of frustration being experienced these days, expressed in a variety of ways!

    Isn't it weird how masks have become that 'hill to die on'? I despise them for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean I don't have a couple, with cute little Texas bluebonnets on them. Given my life, I rarely need to wear one, but I'm sure not going to be ranting at store clerks or other people. It was quite interesting to read an article on the front page of the Galveston Daily News back in 1918. It was filled with advice for dealing with that flu, and it's amazing how nearly word-for-word it was with advice being offered today. Keep distance, isolate the sick, wash your hands, and wear a mask around those who are ill. It certainly sounds familiar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you were offended by the meme. It fit my frustration with the ear thing.

      We can blame our president for the mask the hill-to-die-on. Funny, though, he makes everyone around him get tested every day but he refuses to set a good example for others by at least encouraging them to social distance and wear masks in public. Those who don't, think Covid-19 is a democratic hoax.

      My grandmother died on the floor of a hospital hallway during the 1918 epidemic and was buried in a mass, unmarked grave. In at least one country in our southern hemisphere people are dying so fast now they are being buried in mass graves.

      I've seen no store employee (or anyone else) confronting a non-conformist but at the blood lab and eye doctors they kept their doors locked and have a sign on the door "Masks Required to Enter." Vets office doesn't let you in at all, they come get your pet from your car. We're really knocked the curve down in our state so it's all paying off for us.

      Delete
    2. P.S. Just for you, I found another van gogh with perhaps a slightly less offense word at the top.

      Delete
    3. LOL! You didn't need to do that. If I didn't enjoy your blog so much, I would have just gone away, but I figured there's nothing wrong with a little honesty among friends!

      Delete
    4. Hey, I'm glad you did because it reminded me that a long time ago I did make a promise to myself not to use the hardcore swear words in my blog even though a few of them like the 'F' sometimes comes out in conversations with a couple really good friends, and not even all my closest friends. Sometime I'll have to write about the time I accidentally said it in front of my mother at a family party. The most embarrassing moment of my life as I watched everyone try not to laugh. Thanks for being a reader here.

      Delete
  3. That picture made me laugh. And believe me, I can use a laugh right now.

    I had to chuckle at your eyebrow story, too. Both my parents have/had thinning hair as they aged and mine is the same. My eyebrows are so thin and pale that I look monotoned if I don't pencil them in. The advantage is I haven't had to shave my legs in years. LOL. With a mask on, I don't see the point of much makeup either, and even my glasses are a pain with the mask. I've gone to post earrings because all my hoops and dangly earrings have to be navigated around the ears and it's just too much trouble. Crazy times.

    I do notice the few people without masks seem to have a defiant look on their faces. Luckily, most people seem to be following the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me laugh right out loud the first time I saw it too. I'm not easily offended by the "F" word though unless someone it yelling at me. Not sure if that's ever happened though. It's all those military romances I was stuck on at the being of the pandemic, they totally desensitized me to the word. Not that I wasn't already half way there before hand.

      Totally agree about the earring choices and masks. Way too much trouble!

      I was at local, large grocery store chain the day I wrote this post and I, too, noticed the few people not wearing masks looked like they were ready to fight about it if anyone challenge them. No friendly smiles, direct eye contract with hateful looks. No way would I confront them, life is too short to make fight with a selfish, self-centered stranger.

      Delete
    2. We have five 'kids' between the ages of 35 and 45 (second marriage, blended family), so we have long been desensitized to the 'f' word. LOL.

      "Big Gretch", as they call her online, has done an awesome job for us, and I'm determined not to add to another spike.

      Delete
  4. That Van Gogh is a damn hoot!! I may have to steal it if that is okay? I wore a mask to get my hair done. She put a toner on my hair. Somehow or another the parts over my ears are brown. When I got in my car to go home I took off my mask and put it on the passenger seat. Rick got in my car the next day and saw my mask there. He brought it in the house and asked while laughing, "Why are the ears so brown? Are you cleaning behind your ears?" The white strings that goes behind my ears were brown just the part that is behind your ear, not totally going over the ear. How in the world did hair toner get on that? We had a good laugh and threw it away. And as I have said many times before, it is just common respect to wear a mask to protect others if you don't care about yourself like that cranky old fart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the first Van Gogh meme I had up with the 'F' word is funnier but this one is pretty good, too. Easy to find if you do an image search. Meme are made to 'steal'. I think it's a rule or federal law, isn't it? LOL

      That's funny about your mask.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it all just pathetic, this Masks As Political Statements bullshit? If their ignorance and petulance only infected them, I'd say Good, let them sicken and waste away. However, they infect the innocent, waste resources, cost money, and cause untold trouble with their idiocy.

    It's a simple sacrifice, this masking. It's not like gas rationing, saving your bacon grease, collecting metal, or the government regulating when and how much sugar, meat, and milk you can buy. These geezers are the same people who kept saying "What this country needs is a good Depression to bring people together" and "These kids today don't know what it is to sacrifice for their country." Now they won't even wear a piece of fabric for 45 minutes out in public for the good of themselves and others. It's atrocious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the anti-science people that were created and/or brought together by Trump who have turned the masks into a political statements. How could he said word to the effect, "People wear masks to signal they don't like me" and expect his fans not to react in reserve to that stupidity? What an egotistical, dangerous and irresponsible man he is to say that on national TV!

      Even people who don't get the virus could need the hospitals for other things can find a storage of nursing staff and doctors. They are getting burned up and exhausted.

      Delete
  6. John Pavlovitz is one of my favorite sensible human beings on this earth. He's right about the face masks, of course. I didn't know about making an appointment to pick out frames, but I'm not surprised I guess. I'm to a point where I assume anything I want to do will be infinitely more difficult to do, should I care to not become infected with covidvirus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really admire John Pavlovitz. Not only is he a moral, clear thinking human being but he's a concise and talented writer who is not afraid of the backlash his articles might bring.

      Delete
  7. Got a giggle out of Van Gogh and his expression expresses his frustration
    over having whacked that darn ear off.
    Didn't realize that whipping off the mask could dislodge hearing aids. Yikes, they are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really lucky I saw it flying in the air and could retrieve the aid. I was leaving the grocery store and it flew 15 feet away. Had I not seen it flying I never would have known where I lost it, a very expensive accident!

      Delete
  8. Wish I could have seen the first meme! Hysterical! Oregon now has State mandate that masks MUST be worn indoors at public places (stores, banks, post office, etc) AND outdoors if you are not able to keep 6 ft physical distance. But WHO is going to enforce that?

    A friend who is a flight attendant said they are trained to ask people to wear a mask (and same with seat belts) but they don't make a big scene about it. No flying for me!

    My sister is driving out from Louisville with a tiny camper/trailer. They are allowed to park it in our parking lot so they will sleep in there. We will only meet and chat outdoors WITH masks. They may use our bathroom and will wipe everything down (and then Kate and Jesse will again sanitize it!!!). Kinda sad ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our orders are the same as yours. We've already had a security guard killed for asking a person to wear a mask. Enforcement shouldn't be necessary in a normal world but Trump is setting a non-compliance example, coupling that with the anti-science message and we have do much unnecessary drama.

      This is the summer to say home, no vacations anywhere by any means of transportation, that said, I hope you enjoy your visit with your sister.

      Delete
  9. No mask wearinghere for me even at doctor appointments, I would weaar one if I had to but I don't so I won't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I don't know what state you live in but not requiring a mask for doctor appointments shocks me. Here, even the hair salon was giving them out if you didn't have one. Same with the blood lab, eye doctor's office and eye frames store. Doctor's office has been giving them out since last December, even before the pandemic even was in the news.

      Delete
    2. There are words that offend me, but the F word is not one of them. The N word is, though, when spoken by white people.
      I wear a mask when out shopping, as a courtesy to those who are working to serve me, not so much for my own protection as for theirs. So far I haven’t received any comments or angry glares from non-mask wearers. And if I did, well fuck ‘em I say! 🤣🤣🤣

      Deb

      Delete
    3. Wearing a mask does show respect for those who have to serve the public, doesn't.

      Sometimes the 'F' word is the only one that really fits.

      Delete
  10. Eyebrows? You still have eyebrows? Well done!

    I have several masks and I wear them constantly. I don't leave home without it. Well, actually, I don't leave home all that much. Glasses -- for some reason, I put off getting the script they gave me last year -- and now you spelled out the optician's office perfectly. Now it's time to see the doc again. Maybe he'll give me a new script!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eye doctor usually tells me if I can wait to get new glasses or not. He'll say something like, "I'm giving you this prescription in case you break your current pair, otherwise there's not enough change to spend the money." He didn't say that this time.

      My next blog is about how to pick out frame when masks are required. Very safe but also very strange after years of having free range in eyeglass frame shops.

      Delete
  11. Pavlovitz's column states so much of what I've thought, and read in a few other well thought out pieces. I won't discuss any of that with anyone anymore. We're all entitled to our opinions, but when people's main purpose is to spew anger and self-righteousness, they should keep their opinions to themselves. Or spend time with the people who agree with them.

    I missed the original wording on the meme, but think it's pretty darn funny as is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Paviolitz's columns. He has common sense in spades.

      People are entitled to their own opinions. The problem comes in when some people can't tell the difference between provable facts and opinions.

      I knew you'd like the meme. What artist wouldn't.

      Delete
  12. I scroll through the comments, and I realise how darn lucky I am to be in New Zealand...touch wood it's eliminated from the community transmission. All the new cases are from people arriving and going directly to gov't quarantine facilities (designated hotels). Keep safe everyone...I know you are doing that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we don't get all our states on the same page regarding testing and contact tracing we're going to be dealing with this virus for several years. Your country is a wonderful example of how the virus should be addressed. You've actually made our news for what you've accomplished regarding the virus.

      Delete
  13. A man called my daughter "a F*ing communist" because she politely asked him to step back when she was at the store and he was coming too close. She had a mask and he did not. It is the politics of it all and it is a crime that so many are getting sick or dying because of ignorance, selfishness, and stubbornness. Let's make big changes in November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I can't believe that a world-wide health crisis has turned political in this country and we both know who to blame for that. I'm so nervous about November. I see a ton of Trump supporters in my neck of the woods.

      I have been saying to people who get too close while not wearing a mask, "It's hard to remember social distancing isn't it." So far, no one has said anything nasty back and I've said that while holding up my hand, palm out in the classic 'stop' mode. I've only had to do it three times.

      Delete
  14. I think I'll get one of those little oxygen tanks, so I can put the canula in my nose, making it easier to breathe under my mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish but I don't think you caan get them without a prescription.

      Delete
  15. A Mask is a Stupid Hill to Die on in America... LOVE that Quote! But Stupid people will in fact Die on that Hill voluntarily because you cannot fix Stupid. Everything requires an Appointment now and it's annoying since so many are scheduled so far out into the Future that I don't even want to bother unless it's something mandatory that I can't avoid doing. I have a Wardrobe of Masks and bought Two more Today at the Dying Mall that will close on the 30th, got a good Deal on Cute Masks for Princess T and I, they are ones that we can breathe thru without feeling like we'll pass out in the Heat. Don't know if that's a good thing for protection, but it is good for breathing and I think now any Placebo of Safety will make me feel like just mebbe we'll survive this? *LOL* Pence's Pandemic Briefing this Morning was an expected Cyborg delivery where he actually said that Young People getting COVID was a Good Thing because they will probably Survive it! *Yes he did!* And that we're in the best place we've EVER been as a Country, even tho' he acknowledged the Graphs are 'higher' for infections and Deaths... fuck, what Planet is that Man from?! *LMAO*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My God that was the stupidest display of politics and contradictions that I've ever seen. Pence is towing the company line to a T. Trump picked a good water boy with him.

      Doctors and nurses world-wide believe the masks help, so I'm going to believe they're more than placebos. And even then, they do remind people in public to social distance and beware that we need to be careful.

      Delete
  16. I remember that Patrick Henry speech well. I only lived 20 minutes from Williamsburg when I was in third grade, and it was one of our field trips. Lots of history around these parts. The people who won't wear masks annoy the hell out of me when they get in my space - like leaning over me to reach the chicken they want instead of waiting for me to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard that speech since I visited Williamsburg in the 1960s. So I looked it up since so many of the people who protest our governor seem to think his cause and theirs are similar.

      It's really hard to remember to social distance which is why it makes sense to wear a stupid mask at all times!

      Delete
  17. I've discovered that combining a mask with hearing aids and glasses sometimes requires more coordination than I've got!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Even being careful today, taking off my mask pulled out my hearing aid and it looked like the tube was about to get cut through. Not wearing my hearing aids anymore with a mask.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.