Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

One Day, Seven Errands

Friday I ran seven errands and it felt good, almost like old times, except for the reminders that we’re living in the middle of a pandemic. One of those stops was to the veterinary’s---can’t say office because they make you stay in your car. The dog needed his monthly flea, tick and heart worm medications. $96 for three months’ worth. Expensive little bugger. But I remember back decades ago when a dog brought fleas into the house and we all got bite up and it cost a fortune to get a pest control guy to “bug bomb” the place. Levi’s also had Lyme disease a few years ago which is reason enough to keep giving him those preventive treatment pills for ticks, and every time I see that jar of heart worms in a dog’s heart that the vet keeps in the waiting room it grosses me out and I wouldn't think of dropping that preventive treatment. $96? That’s $8 a week I can’t spend on fast food or at Starbucks. Boo-hoo.

I’ve never really worried or kept track of my spending because we worked hard, long hours all our adult lives and never outspent out income, never lived on credit. But with the move coming up to the continuum care campus I got scared…enough so that one of my errands Friday was to swing by the place to go over the figures on why they think I won’t run out of money to live there. The way those continuum care places work is they have to pick up the tab if you run out of money so I know they run the numbers based on a formula where the odds are in their favor that they won't have to pay much, if any. As the guy said, “We feel confident you won’t run out of money but if you do you have our legacy promise that you’ll be cared for the same as if you’ve hadn’t.” They’ve been in the business as a non-profit for over 100 years so I trust that legacy promise.

He gave me the flow chart for my next eleven years of spending and income---the estimated number years I’m likely to live with two of them spent in their nursing home building and last year in their Hospice and/or memory care unit. It’s weird to see your life laid out like that in black and white and they generally don't show the flow charts to their future residences. But I wanted to be sure I won’t be eating cat food and worrying that all my underpants would get so thread-bare I’d resort to going commando because I’d be afraid to spend money from my savings accounts. I was shocked at how detailed that flow chart was and how it allowed for yearly increases in costs. I came out of the meeting knowing that after paying their monthly fees, taxes, insurance, utilities and cleaning services they’re estimating I can start out spending x number of dollars a month on stuff like clothing, gifts, the dog, meals not provided on my monthly food card, entertainment and whatever. It settled my nerves to have that monthly figure to use as a guide. I don’t spend anywhere near that much now, so I should be fine.

Other errands I ran included dropping off my presidential ballot at the township office. There was a line of ten cars in front of me. I also had the trunk filled up with books to donate to one of the few libraries in town still taking donations during the pandemic. It was near the CCC so I got to see the library I’ll be using in the future. I was going to sell that batch on e-Bay but I decided to let them go instead. It was a bunch of first editions and I only kept about a dozen. Selling that dozen will probably pay for the La-Z-Boy chair I picked out at one of my other stops on Friday. I didn’t actually buy it but I don’t usually get down to that part of town and I really wanted to sit in a chair I saw online. I’ll wait until closer to my move to place my order. It takes four months to custom order a La-Z-Boy. Who knew.

The main stop I made, though, was back to my bone doctor. He’d gotten the report on the carpel tunnel test and he thinks that surgery still would help the banquet of issues going on in my arm, even though I only tested to having a mild case. He said in his experience with carpel tunnel tests is they tend to “under report” the level of damage rather than over report it. I also learned that I was mistaken about him giving me a lubricating gel shot of into my shoulder when I was there in September. What he gave me was a cortisone shot, which if effective, would prove that the Synisc gel shot will help even more and last longer. The cortisone worked wonders on the needles-and-pins feelings I was getting while typing. So now I just have to wait until the cortisone wears off, the symptoms come back and then he’ll do the gel shot.

That treatment is not covered by insurance because he’s using it off label---it’s made for knee joints---and it’s very expensive---$700 to $2,000 depending on what pharmacist orders it. The more we talked about it, the more I remembered paying out of pocket for it in the past. By the time I got home Dr. Bones had called and left a message on my answering machine. He’d looked through his hand-written notes and, said I was right, he’d given me the Synisc five years ago and in the same shoulder. (He doesn’t put the Synisc in the computer records because that triggers an insurance billing.) So you know what that means, don’t you. If I’m going to live eleven more years I’ll be getting the Synisc within the next few months and again in five years and then I’m good to go wherever Karma sends me. No shoulder or neck surgery for me and I’m still trying to figure out the best timing for the carpel tunnel surgery which I'm thinking might be in the spring when my niece will temporarily be free of her granny-nanny duties and we might be past the worse of the pandemic and flu season. ©

This is the La-Z-Boy recliner I'm looking at. I like its mid-century profile and hope it will go with my grandfather's wicker settee and matching chair that I'm seriously thinking of using use instead of traditional living room furniture. I'm hoping the scale will look better than the bulkier La-Z-Boys. I just wish I could get the wood in a white wash. It comes in black, oak and brown.


I'm also thinking about getting new cushions for the wicker settee and its matching chair like the fabric below. And if I do, I'll get the La-Z-Boy in a gray. My connecting kitchen area is all white and gray and by using the neutrals on the furniture I'll be able to change and/or add pops of colors at will with throw pillows and accessories. I'm leaning towards getting the new cushions. These kinds of decisions are driving me crazy. I've had that settee in my life since I was a baby when my grandfather moved in with my parents and I'm really not ready to part with it but it's not comfortable to sit on for more than an hour. My niece says as long as I have one really comfortable chair for me what does it matter and I can always replace the wicker after I move in if I find myself I'm doing more entertaining that I think I will. Opinions?

32 comments:

  1. I would hate to have to make decisions like that. I like the idea of neutral colors on the furniture so you can easily change the pops of colors if you want. And I like your niece's idea that all you need is one comfortable chair for yourself. Do you think you will be entertaining in your unit? I thought you would be interacting with people in the common areas and in planned activities. (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done much entertaining but I would like it if I got visitors more often, after I move. Still, that's not likely to happen more than handful of times a year. And there will be my kitchen table to sit around or we could walk down to the cafe. Each floor in the complex will have a room to gather in to interact with other residences plus the sales building which is like a small house will become our 'club house' for however we all vote to use it for activities. Like any apartment building with 52 units, I'll be free to interact with other residences or not. It will be fun being on the ground floor of planning activities and I fully plan on being active in addition to hitting their gym and cafe every day, the restaurant once in a while and of course, walk the dog.

      Delete
  2. Lovely furniture but one question-do you ever like to stretch out on a couch or would you if you were recovering from an illness or surgery? You might look for small space designed furniture if you decide to get a couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my entire live I've never, ever use my living room except when company comes over, and I have a big, comfortable couch and La-Z-Boy. If I'm awake I'm usually in my computer chair or crafting. But I have thought about what you are saying about wanting to have a place besides a bed to stretch out. I do have a chair that pulls out to be a single bed that I'm thinking of using in my little study and leaving it pulled out and made up like a chase-lounge with lots of pillows. I know the dog would use it. LOL

      Delete
  3. Now this is a lazy boy I can get behind!!! I love it. It doesn't look like the big fat recliners. I like the wicker sofa just not comfortable for me . I had to sit on this type of sofa visiting a friend. I assumed she did it so no one would stay long. :-) I had one in my sun room and I love the look of them. Airy and light. Just not a comfy sofa for me to watch a movie or sit for a bit longer than a "sit" I think. I got thisfrom my grandmother's attic when I was in my 20s. I sprayed it a different color. (I made it white) Then bought foam and fabric and I actually glued the fabric to make a cushion because I was so broke! my sister and I laughed about that recently and how I wrapped that cushion so tight like a gift box and it looked so good - BUT don't turn them over. Aah, what we did at age 26 and broke!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The La-Z-Boy store literally had hundreds of chairs but only 3-4 styles that were open bottomed with a smaller profile. They seat part is the same size...they just look smaller.

      I know wicker is not comfortable. I did the same thing with this one...spray painted it many colors over the years.

      Delete
  4. Actually having a place for company to sit that gets uncomfortable after an hour may be perfect. Then you can all move on to another common area or just go for a walk. And if you aren't wild about them, one hour might be plenty:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sometimes not staying long is a bonus and could be an excuse to move to a cafe for coffee and dessert or a walk. LOL

      Delete
  5. I like the La-Z-Boy chair you're thinking about buying. I need to sit on any chair I'm thinking about buying, too. You can read the measurements all you want but in the end it's the tushy test that seals the deal. I like the old wicker piece, too. Very pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess people buy furniture online all the time but chairs are different.

      Delete
  6. Personally, I would buy the recliner in green. Love the wicker!!! Yes, vets...$$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty color, isn't it. The dog's meds are more than mine...but I have insurance that covers much of it.

      Delete
  7. I like the profile of that recliner. And I like it in the blue. Sometimes, I think too many neutrals is depressing. One statement colour in a piece is nice, and the blue isn't obnoxious at all.

    I'm afraid I'm not very encouraging about the wicker. I think you'd be sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could find a someone who wanted the wicker, I'd let it go to the right person. But on the other hand, I really want my new place to have a cottage vibe so the wicker would fit in. Either way, I have to keep reminding myself that if I don't like it once I move, I can always donate it and get something else.

      Delete
  8. My sofa is beige and I have pillows for color. I like that recliner. I'm not much for those big things. Dad was a big guy and had a big Lazy Boy. But that was okay because it was his house. I'd much rather have the one you've chosen. This is a huge life change, exciting, but I can see that it might be a little anxiety provoking, too. I think you'll be so happy once you've settled in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to like the unit and complex but I'm not going to like shopping in the area. It's the busiest part of town for that. Might have to get myself a GPS to help me find places since I don't know that end of town very well.

      I love all the photos you've shown of your house. Beige or gray sofas and chairs don't have to look drab when you dress them up.

      Delete
  9. I LOVE the LaZBoy chair! It will make your room look more open. Go sit in some before you order. I think I'm going to get myself one next year. Just love putting up my legs up.

    Very wise to review your numbers ... for your peace of mind. I'd love to find a community like that. There is one but it is downtown Portland and I'm a suburban mouse1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sat is quite a few La-Z-Boys on Friday when I went to their store. Some of those big, puffy chairs were more comfort but really love the openness of this chair and the fact that I could actually move it myself if I wanted to.

      There are at least four CCCs in my city that are either brand new or being built right now plus a 3-4 older ones. Hard to believe Portland only has one! Can't see you moving away from your kids though. They are keeping you young at heart.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I didn’t know you could get a lovely Lazy Boy chair like that!
    I’d need to sit on it first, too though. If a chair is too deep or the seat too high, it isn’t comfortable for me as I’m 5 ft 3 in tall. Either I can’t relax into the back without my legs sticking straight out or my feet dangle above the ground. I feel like a little kid!

    I’d trash the uncomfortable sofa now if it was me. No sense moving a piece of furniture that isn’t comfy. Then you could go to Lazy Boy and order a matching sofa! 😁

    Do you have a covered porch the wicker piece could sit out on, at least?

    I like your idea of neutrals you can punch up with colour. That’s what I like to do too. Easy enough (and cheap enough) to change the colour scheme with fresh cushions and curtains should you want a change.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La-Z-Boy has a to-die-for East Lake/Frank Lloyd Wright retro chair that I absolutely loved but I wasn't strong enough to push it back to the recline position. The chair above was my second choice and you can get it with electric to push back. I don't need it now but over time I might, so I'd get it.

      I'll have a covered patio but it's only 5 1/2" wide and wicker wouldn't last long exposed to our winter snow blowing in from the north. I know what you mean about moving something that isn't comfortable, it doesn't make sense for a small space to not have everything functional. BUT I've loved that wicker my entire life---lots of memories attached to it---while on the other hand if I replace it, I'll probably end up with a generic, over priced sofa that no one but the dog will use.

      Delete
  11. I read freinds not errands which is why the post at first didn't make much sense...............lol

    Fleas suc and can be hard to get rid of if you have a close as proximity neighbour who never treated their pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleas do breed fast, don't they. The pills work better than collars or baths, but I do worry about adding poison to a dog's blood that makes the fleas die when they bite. I can't remember the last time I've seen a flea...decades.

      Delete
  12. A chair IS an accessory so get a color you love. There's already enough gray in your new home. Also, sit in all the chairs [you can stand the looks of] because my guess is that those wooden arms might not feel so great on troubled arms a few years on down the line. And don't just sit down and jump up. Sit down and close your eyes and imagine being there for hours. Comfort is vastly more important than how a chair looks.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a chair costs nearly $2,000 it's more than a accessory in my world and I worry I'll get bored with using colors in big things too expensive to replace every couple of years like you can with throw pillows, etc.

      I think I need to swing around the La-Z-Boy store a few more times, "Mom" and sit longer in the few chairs I liked. LOL The wooden arms sure made getting out of the chair so much easier than the soft, marshmallow arms and that seemed like a plus to me, and I'd be able to write on them. The chair I spend 95% of my waking time in is a computer chair and with that one chair it will be comfort over looks.

      Delete
  13. sounds like you had a very successful day with your errands...and even though you still decisions to make, each step along the way is sure to assist you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've always enjoyed a day of running errands but since the pandemic started in March I haven't done much.

      Delete
  14. I like the lazyboy chair - it has great lines and will go with anything you might want in the future. I think you are right to try the wicker in your place and see how it all works. Why buy a lot of new stuff before you move? Got to live in the space and see how you feel. You're doing great with your planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of not buy anything new until after I move in...I'll shop for stuff, but not order until I'm there. Natural lighting will even make a difference in the colors and furniture placement, I think.

      Delete
  15. I like the recliner and I LOVE the wicker. I think that's wonderful. Glad they have a plan for you, though it never sounds fun. But it's concrete, or as concrete as anything can be. I'm glad you will have a home even if the money runs out. It is disconcerting, the projections for your last few years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told the guy I was going to fool him about living in the nursing home and memory care buildings the last three years of my life, since I think living in my independent units is going to improve my general health because of the gym across the hall and the cafe in a near-by building with healthy food choices, and nice places to walk.

      Wicker and cottage theme goes hand-in-hand, doesn't it.

      Delete
  16. Dear Jean, you asked for comments, so: 1) I like the fabric design. It's classy. 2) I agree with your niece about having one chair/whatever that's truly comfortable. A place you can sit several hours.

    the news about your shoulder is good. And what a relief to find out that unless something truly alarming happens in our world or your life, you have the necessary means to enjoy a fairly comfortable span of time. I'm happy for you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No having children to look out for me as I age, it makes sense to go to a CCC where they watch out for residents to be safe and kept busy.

      "Classy" is how I view that fabric too. Glad someone else sees it that way as well.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.